Guild Wars 2

Comments

• SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    so whats GW again? It's basically like WoW's arenas, right? Like they made a whole game out of that or what?
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1923944:date=Apr 11 2012, 12:00 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Apr 11 2012, 12:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1923944"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Why would you boast that you have games inferior to Tera to play while waiting for GW2, LF? ;D

I plan on finding out what server you're on, Making an adorable Asura and following your character around until you either learn to love the snarky lil' race or commit hari-kari with your mouse-cord: not fussed which, it's a win-win situation :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I said 'also.' Your riposte fizzles.

*I* plan on writing a short story in which the Asura decide that they need more Lebensraum and start rounding up and gassing all the races they consider inferior. Because that's what they are. Hitler. Each one of them is literally Hitler.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I do so hope for a change we can all play together. I'm quite excited for Guild Wars 2, really. It'd be a novelty to get all the UWE crowd playing in the same place, mind.
  • sherpasherpa stopcommandermode Join Date: 2006-11-04 Member: 58338Members
    Let's do it, Shock!

This is being lazy on my part for not googling- but do servers work the same way as in GW1? My memory's fuzzy but wasn't it something like one master server split into different instances you can switch to?
    The UWE crowd is scattered across the continents. Getting us all to play on the same server is highly implausible.
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    If I remember right it's something like you choose a server when you first login and that becomes your 'home server' on which you make all your characters. Not sure if you can migrate or not but there is some kind of overflow system that pops you onto another server when yours is stuffed to the gills, letting you hop back on when the numbers get low enough again :o
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    Taken from <a href="http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World" target="_blank">http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/World</a>

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->World is the name given to the server, or the host on which Guild Wars 2 players play. While the player may visit other servers at no cost, changing their home server will have an associated fee. [1]
    A player may only fight in World vs World for their home server. When visiting other servers, the player only receives WvW world bonuses from the home server, not the server being visited. When changing the home server, the player will be disqualified from receiving world bonuses for some time to discourage players from jumping servers to follow the bonuses.[2]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So basically we can meet on any server to play together, as the home server only affects the Wvw bonuses. Yay for flexibility?
    Unless, of course, we want to play WvW together. Then we will need to be on the same server (world).
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I expect we can all join the same guild though, so maybe we can play on a side based on where the guild is registered?
    In that case I say we register it in Europe so I can play with low latency.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    I second the motion.
    *bangs gavel*
    Motion passes! We have democracied it so!
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924556:date=Apr 12 2012, 06:46 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Apr 12 2012, 06:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924556"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Unless, of course, we want to play WvW together. Then we will need to be on the same server (world).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We can still get on the same server. Only the bonuses will not affect the visiting players (you will still get those from your home server even when away). How much they will influence the outcome of the matches remains to be seen anyway. It will be possible to change our home server eventually (although whether one is limited to servers from his or her region is unclear) and being able to join multiple guilds is nice too. However, the home server is account-based, so it kind of sucks if you have friends all over. At any rate, it shouldn't be too hard to group up after launch even if people rush in and are spread out on multiple servers.
    edited April 2012
    We can get on the same server yeah, but I don't think you can fight for another server in WvW without setting that one as your home server. Which costs both real-life money and real-life time (there's a delay after you switch before you can play WvW).
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A player may only fight in World vs World for their home server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sadly. WvW seems like major funtimes.

We should at least try to get all the NS euros on one server, all the NS americans on another, and all the NS asians on a third one. If it's still going to be split in regions like the first game. Of course, if we're not locked into regions, I welcome everyone on our euro NSGW server.
  • ShockehShockeh If a packet drops on the web and nobody&#39;s near to see it... Join Date: 2002-11-19 Member: 9336NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1924795:date=Apr 12 2012, 09:36 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Apr 12 2012, 09:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1924795"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sadly. WvW seems like major funtimes.

We should at least try to get all the NS euros on one server, all the NS americans on another, and all the NS asians on a third one. If it's still going to be split in regions like the first game. Of course, if we're not locked into regions, I welcome everyone on our euro NSGW server.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    So, once we have a server confirmed, I propose we post it here and then some kind Mod (oh wait, that's me) will ensure it's stuck - moral of the story: check here before picking your home server!
    edited April 2012
    <a href="http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-transferring-worlds-in-guild-wars-2" target="_blank">http://www.arena.net/blog/choosing-and-tra...in-guild-wars-2</a>
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->When Guild Wars 2 launches, you will also have the option to play with your friends on another world with our free “guesting” feature. With guesting, your characters can play on any world where you have friends—with certain restrictions. For instance, you will not be able to participate in WvW while guesting.
    While home-world selection and world transfers will be available during our Beta Weekend Event, guesting is not currently available. All players will be able to receive 2,000 gems free for the Beta Weekend Event, so you will be able to purchase a world transfer if you find yourself in need of one. Since the limit is one transfer every seven days, you’ll only be able to change worlds once during the Beta Weekend Event.

<!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->We strongly recommend that you plan ahead and choose your server before the event begins on April 27.<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    There's like fifty to choose from and not much detail given.
    So... we probably want to play without lag for this first taste, thus:
    Server: Yak's Bend (US), Far Shiverpeaks (EU)
    edited April 2012
    You can pre-load now. Client downloaded 14GB for me; ANet recommend opening the client every day prior to the beta weekend to keep it up-to-date. Fingers crossed it can be carried over to retail in some form!

Even more fingers crossed GW2 uses the excellent content delivery system in GW1, where you can play in current areas whilst the patch downloads new/updated areas.
    Far Shiverpeaks? unless there's some awesome technical reason for that EU server over any of the other EU servers, I'm not a fan.
    I much prefer Jade Sea, Riverside, Elona Reach or Aurora Glade. Much prettier sounding :3
    The Far Shiverpeaks were pretty damn pretty in the first game.
    edited April 2012
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->de facto 'claimed' servers.

US

Anvil Rock (unofficial Oceanic server,4chan/vg)
    Borlis Pass (PIG)
    Yak’s Bend (Reddit,Gw2Guru Hub,covenantofthephoenix , Yogcast, Penny Arcade)
    Henge of Denravi (NeoGAF, Guild Wars Reporter)
    Maguuma (Aureus Knights, MMORPG.com)
    Sorrow’s Furnace (VexX Gaming,Hearts of Chaos,GuildMag)
    Kaineng
    Jade Quarry (Decisive Action)
    Fort Aspenwood (RMA)
    Ehmry Bay
    Ferguson’s Crossing
    Darkhaven (Almost Famous)
    Vasburg (joO Binder)
    Eredon Terrace
    Crystal Desert
    Tarnished Coast (RP Chosen by gw2roleplayers.com, The Gentlemen’s Club)
    Steamspur Mountains
    Blazeridge Mountains
    Isle of Janthir (Boons & Conditions)
    Sea of Sorrows (Downunder, Something Awful, The Australian Cybergamer,unofficial Oceanic server, Aurora Australis)
    Deldrimor
    Scavenger’s Causeway
    Moladune
    Eternal Grove

EU

Kodonur
    Gandara (Futilez)
    Kodash
    Blacktide (Midnight Mayhem, Polish community, GuildWars2.com.pl , GoHa.Ru, 4Gamers.be,guildwars-2.ru)
    Istan (MMORPG.com ,Sweclockers,Univers Virtuel (FR),Luna Atra (FR),Jeuxvideo.com (FR))
    Vabbi (4chan/vg)
    Kourna
    Fissure of Woe (TKOT)
    Underworld (Unofficial Portuguese)
    Ring of Fire (The Bulgarians [BG])
    Far Shiverpeaks (gw2nl.nl)
    Petrified Forest (RP Chosen by gw2roleplayers.com)
    Jade Sea (NeoGAF)
    Desolation
    Magus Falls
    Whiteside Ridge (Reddit)
    Fort Ranik (Jeuxonline (french community),Canard pc (FR),HFR (FR))
    Ruins of Surmia (Guild Wars 2 Online, Guild Wars 2 Spain, Guild Wars Latino (spanish community),Mediavida)
    Sharp’s Corner (Guild Wars 2 Online, Guild Wars 2 Spain, Guild Wars Latino (spanish community))
    Aurora Glade (Guild Wars 2 Online, Guild Wars 2 Spain, Guild Wars Latino (spanish community),Mediavida)
    Riverside
    Elona Reach (Onlinewelten and Wartower Community)
    Augury Rock (Onlinewelten and Wartower Community)
    Abaddon’s Mouth (Onlinewelten and Wartower Community)

Source: <a href="http://guildwars2.romank.dk/world-ch...ds-collection/" target="_blank">http://guildwars2.romank.dk/world-ch...ds-collection/</a><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, Far Shiverpeaks seems a good choice- dutch people are pretty cool and their English is better than mine. I'd mainly be opposed to going to servers claimed by ajaja Spaniards or xaxa Russians.

[EDIT]

Also found this:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->EU Worlds

Kodonur

Gandara - (English) GW2guru, Futilez (PvP), (UK Guild x1)

Kodash - guildmag.com

Blacktide - (Russian) (Polish) (Dutch), Midnight Mayhem (PvX), guildwars.pl, guildwars2.com.pl, GoHa.ru, Ancientz of Bronze Dragonflight, 4Gamers.be, guildwars-2.ru,

Istan - MMORPG.com, Ragnarok, (Finnish) Frozen Dawn, (French) Luna Atra, (FR) JV.com, (FR) Univers Virtuels

Vabbi - 4chan/vg/, mmorpg.pl

Kourna - (French) gw2.fr

Fissure of Woe - (Italian Guilds), (Romanian Guilds), SomethingAwful, (Italian) mmorpgitalia.it, TKOT

Underworld - (Portugese), Maltese Community, 4chan alt

Ring of Fire - (French) Fr-GuildWars2.net),The Bulgarians (PvP), Facepunch

Far Shiverpeaks - (Dutch) GW2nl.nl, GW2nl.nl, (Nordic/Norway/Sweden) guildwars2.no, gw2sverige.se, Guildwars2.dk, Ragnarok Of Primordus, Tweakers.net, Sweclockers.com, The Northern Assembly

Petrified Forest - Unofficial Roleplaying server

Jade Sea - NeoGAF

Desolation - (UK Guilds) Rockpapershotgun, PCGamer

Magus Falls - (German Guilds)

Whiteside Ridge - Reddit (main), GameTrailers, (Israel) Israeli Community

Fort Ranik - (French)JeuxOnline, (French Guilds) JoL, CanardPC, hardwareFR, (Dutch) 9lives.be, gw2.variance.hu

Ruins of Surmia - (Spanish) GuildWars2-Online.com

Sharp’s Corner - (Spanish alt) GuildWars2-Online.com

Aurora Glade - (Spanish alt) GuildWars2-Online.com

Riverside - Guild Wars 2 Slovenia, Slovak and Czech community

Elona Reach - (German) wartower.de, gw2.onlinewelten.de, guild- wars-2.net

Augury Rock - (German Alt)

Abaddon’s Mouth - (German Alt)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It looks like the Scandinavians have claimed Far Shiverpeaks, most have good English in my experience but they do favour their natural tongue. I'm being swayed towards Gandara but will see where you guys end up.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Do you need to pre-order to get into the beta weekend?
    Think so.
    Also I swear I didn't know Far Shiverpeaks would be nordic-centric, I was just thinking of the Dolyaks!
    I think they might still hand out (relatively) rare beta invites; pre-ordering guarantees weekend access, though. I think it's worth finding out if the place you're thinking of buying it from has the codes in stock: I got mine within a few hours from mmoga.co.uk, but Shockwave has been left hanging from another online retailer.
    From those it looks like Jade sea and Desolation only have english speaking folks then and the communities in them shouldn't be too bad either :3
    Also as sherpa mentions Gandara seems to be english-centric too, though I've never head of any of those communities.

Petrified forest being an unofficial roleplay server might be interesting too... you're at least guaranteed less abuse, though you might have to put up with some roleplaying snobbery :P

Nobody seems to like Kodonur, but I can't blame them. It's a rubbish sounding name ;3
    <!--quoteo(post=1930065:date=Apr 26 2012, 12:27 PM:name=sherpa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sherpa @ Apr 26 2012, 12:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930065"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It looks like the Scandinavians have claimed Far Shiverpeaks, most have good English in my experience but they do favour their natural tongue. I'm being swayed towards Gandara but will see where you guys end up.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    My experience is that scandinavians prefer to speak their own languages, but will readily switch to english when speaking with non-scandinavians. Many scandinavians will even switch to english when speaking with other scandinavians, because despite the languages being close to each other, there is actually more room for ambiguity and misunderstandings due to similar-sounding (or written) words having different meanings. For instance, "kul" is how the swedes write "cool," but in danish it's the word for coal. I myself would much rather speak english with a swede than trying to get along with swedish and danish. Even the norwegians, whose language is generally closer to danish than swedish is, can be really difficult to make sense of at times.
    edited April 2012
    Note: <b>Fissure of Woe</b> has been claimed by the EU branch of the SA Goons, and is quite likely as a result to be where I end up. Depending on your opinion of SA Goons, this can be a terrible or fantastic thing.

I'd like to propose this as the UWE EU server, they have a pretty decent NS/NS2 following over there, and hopefully it'd mean we could ensure a lot of English natives to play with.

E: <b>Sherpa</b>, I've got my key now, downloading as we speak.
    I dunno shocksy; fissure of woe looks to have a tidal wave of italians based on the previous post :o
    Also, why am I totally unsurprised SomethingAwful folk picked a server called 'fissure of woe'? :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1930150:date=Apr 26 2012, 01:24 PM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Apr 26 2012, 01:24 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1930150"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I dunno shocksy; fissure of woe looks to have a tidal wave of italians based on the previous post :o
    Also, why am I totally unsurprised SomethingAwful folk picked a server called 'fissure of woe'? :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Innuendo bingo?