Making the engine test more playable

1234568»

Comments

• FehaFeha Join Date: 2006-11-16 Member: 58633Members
    I completely disagree with zek :P.
    Dont make sprinting put away the gun and make it possible to sprint in any direction (forward, backward, strafe, combination). You know, like the hl2 sprinting.
  • SparkyMcSparksSparkyMcSparks Join Date: 2010-04-12 Member: 71347Members
    Someone should plan to make an exploration / puzzle / horror mod.
    Dead Space meets Penumbra Black.
    Seems feasible given the assets and scripting engine in NS2.
  • ArkArk Join Date: 2009-08-15 Member: 68489Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1768594:date=Apr 24 2010, 06:13 PM:name=SparkyMcSparks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (SparkyMcSparks @ Apr 24 2010, 06:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1768594"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Someone should plan to make an exploration / puzzle / horror mod.
    Dead Space meets Penumbra Black.
    Seems feasible given the assets and scripting engine in NS2.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Id be up for that, though i can only model/texture/light.

How much can be done through Lua? Are things like AI and pathfinding possible and how difficult would they be to impliment? or do those requite C++?

Can anyone recommend some introductory tutorials or sites for Lua?
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited May 2010
    If you guys are going to start up on this again as the engine updates come out, just a suggestion - I think the project could use some better focus. It's not really headed in a clear direction and it doesn't have a catchy title. Personally I would suggest setting a clear goal of rebuilding Combat in the engine test - make a spiffy new thread out of it called "Combat Remake Project" or something. Then focus on the most gameplay critical features first and build it from the ground up - first scoreboards and a chat button, then proper alien vs. skulk teams and respawn areas/timers, then some basic exp/leveling, etc.

Just an idea, but I think you'd generate a lot more interest that way. Also, anybody hosting it should use the mod name in their server name so people using the new server browser can tell that it's not vanilla - there isn't much awareness of mods in general right now.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    I cannot get this to work since I changed to steam version of the game. It crashes once the lvl is close to finish loading. The normal un-modded engine test runs fine tho so somethings up with the modding/installation.

I followed the install medhod #1 (http://wiki.github.com/Nayruden/ns2lua/install) and chose to overwrite all existing files.
    Am I doing something wrong, or have something changed with the steam version?
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    The overwrite method is not safe anymore now that there using steam to update the game.I've updated the install page for steam version.
    The latest version in repository shouldn't have any crashing issues.
  • StormApanStormApan Join Date: 2007-06-17 Member: 61280Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited May 2010
    I still get the crash. That I do not get on regular engine test.
    I followed the new steam install method. Alltho it doesn't specifically say to put the dl:ed lua files in the newly created ns2lua folder, I assume that's what im supposed to do? ;)

In console I confirm that the ns2lua folder has ben loaded but then I get Error: lua/utility/Table.lua:307: attempt to index global 'Shared' (a nill value)

As I create a new game it just says "NS2 has stopped working..." after a while of loading.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    I pushed a fix to the repository. It should fix the crashing try downloading it again. I kinda caused the crash with an earlier commit.
    It would help through if max push updated maps to steam after changing team_join entity field names.
    Yep works now, thnx =)
  • SgtBarlowSgtBarlow Level Designer Join Date: 2003-11-13 Member: 22749Members, NS2 Developer
    edited May 2010
    I have only just looked at this mod, I have only realy looked at the first post.
    You dont need to replace your existing <u>ns2</u> folders content with this mods content.

<b>Instead</b>
    In <i>Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\</i>
    Create a folder called <u>ns2lua</u> - <i><!--coloro:#C0C0C0--><span style="color:#C0C0C0"><!--/coloro-->(Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\ns2lua)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--></i>
    Save the mod to that folder.

Create a Desktop Shortcut to NS2.exe, Right Click Properties and change the <b>Target</b> line to:

<!--sizeo:2--><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\natural selection 2\NS2.exe" /game ns2lua<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->

EDIT* Having time to read through, its been mentioned a few times. Ya need to edit your first post.
  • dutchmeatdutchmeat Join Date: 2010-05-18 Member: 71794Members
    edited May 2010
    Can I ask why you don't check on null values in that table class ?
    And is there a quick way to remove the mod without reinstalling the whole game ?
  • rutixrutix Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58208Members
    edited May 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1771565:date=May 18 2010, 03:09 PM:name=dutchmeat)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dutchmeat @ May 18 2010, 03:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1771565"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can I ask why you don't check on null values in that table class ?
    And is there a quick way to remove the mod without reinstalling the whole game ?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you overwritten the default LUA folder then the best is to reinstall the game. If you made a mod folder then just delete that and edit the ns2.exe path.