NS2 Tutorial

TweadleTweadle Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39686Members, NS2 Map Tester
edited March 2010 in Ideas and Suggestions
The NS2 tutorial should definitely be playable.

You should be able to walk around in a specially made map performing tasks as all the various roles. It should even have some moderate challenges for the player once things have been learnt to offer a safe environment where they can test their skills. Rudimentary bots, scripted or otherwise, might be worthwhile. Heck, you could even have a talking marine showing you the ropes to add some story flavour.

Tutorials are undoubtedly the easiest way of stepping up someone's early knowledge of a game but many players neglect to read advice. Even listening to a tutorial movie might fail to capture the interests of some and besides, a movie can only show what should be done, not how to do it. Playable tutorials will ease the sudden jump to the quirky world of NS2 in a more engaging (and therefore, more fun) environment. I, for one, would appreciate the grounding new players will recieve right off the bat even as an experienced player.

Comments

• Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    Maps to practice movement for lifeforms/jetpacks would be especially helpful.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I would much rather run around a map and learn how to play than watch a tutorial video.

+1 for the tutorial map.
  • wulfwulf Join Date: 2008-08-03 Member: 64749Members
    edited April 2010
    Agreed

Not that I don't mind helping out newer players, just there are way to many instances where that help basically entailed regurgitating anything that could have been learned from cl_autohelp, but was overlooked because the help was drowned out by the game instead of a being separate tutorial where one would pay full attention to learning.
  • CruorCruor Join Date: 2004-11-07 Member: 32677Members
    Team specific Tutorial maps is a must :D

Marines:
    Space Bootcamp for Frontiersmen Marines where a voice overed Commander is your drill sergeant on the map, after having completed all the basics as a grunt, you are promted to take the Commanders place in the Command Center. The NPC commander steps out of the Command Center and gestures for you to move onto the platform and take your place as the Commander. The NPC drill sergeant is then heard over the radio instead and you get graphical pointers and hints on the Commander HUD as the NPC voice guides you through the steps of being a succesful Commander in battle.

Kharaa:
    This fully infested map is all about the Hive Mind conditioning your mind as a glowie(drifter?) evolving to -> Skulk -> Gorge -> Lerk -> Fade -> Onos -> Kharaa Commander. In each lifeform step along the chain I imagine the Hive Mind talking to you in a similar way as the Alien Queen does in AVP3. But instead of having an image of her in one of the upper corners of the screen, the screen would instead flash/pulsate organically round the edges whenever the hive mind is communicating the tutorial pointers to you.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    I can't tell just how many times I ran through the Half Life 1 Hazard course, trying to make it faster and faster.

+1 on that, even if it's not a high priority.
  • DaimoninDaimonin Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70748Members
    Playable tutorials are a must IMHO. Though it would require the development of AI for the tutorial... unless all the NPC actions including combat where scripted in?
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    ns1 had a fan-made tutorial map and it was fun to play through. :p
  • enigmaticenigmatic Join Date: 2007-09-23 Member: 62411Members
    Why wasn't I informed?
  • TwiggehTwiggeh Join Date: 2010-09-24 Member: 74165Members
    edited September 2010
    Yes, this game is complex enough that a tutorial level should be mandatory, otherwise all newbies will ruin atleast 2 games each (one marine, one alien) since they must use that round as a bandaid tutorial.

(Btw, nice avatar enigmatic)