I cant stand it

MxOAgentJohnsonMxOAgentJohnson Join Date: 2009-11-08 Member: 69311Members
This being the ns2 forums i know all the responces will most likely be, troll, noob or trolling noob

But i just want to ask why is ns1 so damn hard

Yes you guys have been playing a long time so your all flying around as fades owning people in 1 hit good for you

But i mean NOONE who installs this mod today will enjoy it because it is esentially a terrible mod in the fact that 95% of the new players wont carry on playing

Yes, i know ns2 will be more friendly and fair but i mean seriously, level 2 armor and it takes 2 bites from the tiniest mother ###### to kill me.

im also guessing the hitboxes are broken or that big light machine guns just dont feel like working properly because you can fire any amount at em and it wont hurt the ######

Attacking is way too fast and aliens need for harder tactics to master. you'd think a giant ###### rhino-elephant could withstand a punch but ive seen ones die in no time

So please, someone tell me ns2 wont be anything like ns1 besides the concept, settings and characters

Comments

• TrCTrC Join Date: 2008-11-30 Member: 65612Members
    NS2 will be very sad game were skill has very little meaning even once a week players can get their fun because it is so easy. Are you happy?

Put some effort, check guides, get to competitive and you'll be owning public in no time.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi! Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    If you can't stand it, sit down.
  • MxOAgentJohnsonMxOAgentJohnson Join Date: 2009-11-08 Member: 69311Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758645:date=Mar 10 2010, 09:35 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 10 2010, 09:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758645"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS2 will be very sad game were skill has very little meaning even once a week players can get their fun because it is so easy. Are you happy?

Put some effort, check guides, get to competitive and you'll be owning public in no time.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I've read guides

ive been playing for weeks

Its horribly demanding and hard. i still just find myself walking and dying.

If this is honestly your guys idea of fun then you must all work in banking :>
    <!--quoteo(post=1758647:date=Mar 11 2010, 01:37 AM:name=MxOAgentJohnson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MxOAgentJohnson @ Mar 11 2010, 01:37 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I've read guides<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/articles</a> check these as well. Learn marine double jump, bhop via mwheel or use script these can be done in empty server aswell. Skulk silent movement is useful too.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758654:date=Mar 10 2010, 09:42 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 10 2010, 09:42 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758654"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.ensl.org/articles" target="_blank">http://www.ensl.org/articles</a> check these as well. Learn marine double jump, bhop via mwheel or use script these can be done in empty server aswell. Skulk silent movement is useful too.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Fine ill carry on, if i get decent enough at this game ill eat my shoe and all buy you special edition hahaha
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    edited March 2010
    ns2 wont be anything like ns1 besides the concept, settings and characters

all of your concernes have been identified before and will probably be fixed in ns2
    i.e. skulk gets more hp so you will not keep dieing so easily
    onos can take large amounts of damage from the front
    there are hints that the fade movement will be changed, bunnyhop will be replaced with some easier method (or removed? don't remember)
    steep learning curve has been mentioned by the devs before and was promised to be fixed
    netcode will probably be up to current standards (note that half-life is 1998 and relies on the quake2-engine which is even older)

€: please also note that fades as higher lifeforms are meant to kill you in a 1on1 battle
    <!--quoteo(post=1758657:date=Mar 10 2010, 09:45 PM:name=Brute)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Brute @ Mar 10 2010, 09:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758657"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ns2 wont be anything like ns1 besides the concept, settings and characters

all of your concernes have been identified before and will probably be fixed in ns2
    i.e. skulk gets more hp so you will not dieing so easily
    onos can take large amounts of damage from the front
    there are hints that the fade movement will be changed, bunnyhop will be replaced with some easier method (or removed? don't remember)
    steep learning curve has been mentioned by the devs before and was promised to be fixed
    netcode will probably be up to current standards (note that half-life is 1998 and relies on the quake2-engine which is even older)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

See that clarifys all my problems and im now liking the sound of ns2 more

But still its very difficult to master a game people have been playing for 7 years and you only 1 month

I think it helps to play a game when its initially released, i used to play kane and lynch all the time from its release right until november 2009, and i was master at that.

But still ill keep at ns1
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1758647:date=Mar 10 2010, 10:37 PM:name=MxOAgentJohnson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MxOAgentJohnson @ Mar 10 2010, 10:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->ive been playing for weeks<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Most of today's players have been playing for years.
    NS never was a simple game, but now it is even harder 'cause only the vets are left.
    Back in the day there were far more newbies around which made things easier.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    NS1 is not a game targeted for casual players, but is more for the people with average-hardcore skill in FPS games. It's a very fast, unforgiving, and intense game. I think a lot of this has to do with the limitations of the engine its running on (half-life), and the pace of the game has been quickened significantly through successive versions since the game was originally released in 2002. Since its been out for about 8 years now (and as a mod for a archaic engine), most of the people left playing it having been doing so for years and have gotten pretty good at it. I'd recommend playing on marines and concentrate on building structures at base and welding people till you get better at the game. Also try to hang by the safety of the hives as a gorge when playing aliens so you won't die as much.

I think they mentioned they're trying to make NS2 more accessible to newer players by slowing down the death rate a bit and other improvements. Hopefully they can hit a good balance between skill and accessibility.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758662:date=Mar 10 2010, 09:53 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Mar 10 2010, 09:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758662"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->NS1 is not a game targeted for casual players, but is more for the people with average-hardcore skill in FPS games. It's a very fast, unforgiving, and intense game. I think a lot of this has to do with the limitations of the engine its running on (half-life), and the pace of the game has been quickened significantly through successive versions since the game was originally released in 2002. Since its been out for about 8 years now (and as a mod for a archaic engine), most of the people left playing it having been doing so for years and have gotten pretty good at it. I'd recommend playing on marines and concentrate on building structures at base and welding people till you get better at the game. Also try to hang by the safety of the hives as a gorge when playing aliens so you won't die as much.

I think they mentioned they're trying to make NS2 more accessible to newer players by slowing down the death rate a bit and other improvements. Hopefully they can hit a good balance between skill and accessibility.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i hope so too :D

Also, is there any hint on ns2 being available to less advanced pc systems.. i.e will my nvidia 8600 run ns2 or do you think it would completely die on me :P
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    I'd really like to reply somehow, but I cannot read the OP.

What the hell happened there?
  • BruteBrute Join Date: 2009-06-10 Member: 67778Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Promotional Site says
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><b>System Requirements</b>:
    1.2 GHz Processor, 256MB RAM, a DirectX 9 level graphics card, Windows Vista/2000/XP, mouse, keyboard and an internet connection.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

but you should wait until the engine tests have been done, as it may change
  • PlazmoPlazmo Join Date: 2010-03-10 Member: 70910Members
    I know how you feel. I've been playing NS on and off since its first public release. I took a 2 year break and I finally got back into it like 2 days ago and I'm HORRIBLE. I used to be pretty good, not awesome but good. I used to end up in the top 3 or 4 almost every game. Now... I get scores like 2 kills 25 deaths. ><

What I dislike are the "pro" NS players out there that freak out if something wrong happens. They act like their lives are at stake in the game. Screaming and cursing into the mic and then dissing the whole team publicly b/c they aren't all as good as that person. lol

Either way, I just mute them and continue playing and I've slowly gotten better and better. It also helped a lot when I turned off smooth mouse and acceleration.

Can't wait for NS2 though. It should give almost everyone a equal start!
  • Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    NS1 has very clear strategies but they are foreign to new players because they are not comfortable or familiar with dynamic play... eg: MC/DC/SC. New games have a hard time understanding that there is a choice, that the choice matters, and that even though there is a choice there are certain times you just don't go one or the other. Same with lifeforms, they don't know when to do it or which to go. The other one is the random hive.

It sounds like ns2 will be a lot more directed, like how there will be only 1 hive start this time around and the user gets weapons themselves. I think there is plenty of opportunity to streamline the chaos and to not detract from its fun. I honestly don't think there are many "high" level players who don't like the nubs knowing what to do, it is better for all players that people have an idea of how to play.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    I think the present crowded servers are pretty nasty too. 32 players on a map just doesn't leave you much room to figure things out, since there's so much going on at once. At least I'd be totally lost on those massive games if I hadn't played this for so many years.

Of course those huge servers aren't probably going to go anywhere in NS2. The game needs to adapt to it I guess.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    The basic gameplay is between a melee unit which can only get close by a combination of luck, guile, and frantic bunnyhopping, and a ranged unit who carries more than enough firepower to kill his counterpart in half a clip but his gun is so accurate that he has to precisely aim at the fast moving, chaotic alien with absolute precision.

Basically it only gets worse (or better, depending on your perspective) from there.

The entire game is ridiculously far off the deep end of the skill curve, and it is only that that allows it to be balanced. it's not that the factions are balanced against each other because they aren't, assuming perfect skill the marines would always win, assuming average regular player skill I'd still bet on the marine players if I had to, assuming casual skill nobody can do anything so victory and loss are entirely random. The point is that most players can't play either faction very well, or at least nowhere near the skill required to get the most out of their basic statistical capabilities, and so the imbalance between sides does not stand out because it's overshadowed by the imbalance between player skill.

In most games the player skill does not determine quite so much of the game, one side can often have a better weapon which does more damage, in NS the damage does not hugely matter because all the weapons you're likely to use are very difficult, so being able to use any one of them well will give you a huge advantage over anyone who can't use a weapon well because yours will work and theirs won't.

So it's hard because you have to be really good to get anywhere, if you aren't really good your guns are useless essentially, and if you're new or not a very regular player you won't be any good.

Personally I think this approach is rather unpleasant because it removes most of the actual fun and turns the game into something like a competitive sport, something you don't play for for the enjoyment of playing it but rather because you want to win, the fun does not come from the game, it comes from the competition, but it's the same basic feeling you get in any competitive sport, this one just happens to use mouse and keyboard and doesn't require much physical fitness. As I play games for what the game itself can offer, this is not interesting to me, if I wanted competition I'd go play football or something. My ideal game is something like DnD actually, something complex that can be investigated and understood and which has a lot of small details to be learned and connected to the larger theme of the world, although dnd games sometimes lack an engaging background activity, which is why I prefer games like oblivion and fallout 3 more, they give you a nice activity to do (wandering around shooting stuff and collecting things) while you're doing your discovery. In an FPS I like getting new guns and finding new places and enemies to blow up, in NS I like the atmosphere and the visual style but hate the gameplay, multiplayer competitive games always lack depth to me so I'm mostly interested in it as a modding base to turn into something I do like, or possibly just as a mapping tool as mapping is fun in and of itself, often moreso than the actual game it's being done for.

NS2 looks to be moving more into casual territory and while I don't think it will add or remove any depth because casual and 'hardcore' comepttitive games are still competitive games and it's still more about winning than anything else, I would expect it to be more accessible and therefore more enjoyable for more people. And more people means more potential modders to do the coding side of any mod I want to work on, so more fun for me.

In short NS2 should be better than NS1.
  • ghost in the shellghost in the shell Join Date: 2008-09-28 Member: 65094Members
    Maybe we should have a good manual & tutorial that ships with the game
    i know ns1 had a manual but it didn't help me much
    <!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro--><!--sizeo:5--><span style="font-size:18pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><u><b>RTFM</b></u><!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->
  • Blue21Blue21 Join Date: 2009-06-29 Member: 67970Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The basic gameplay is between a melee unit which can only get close by a combination of luck, guile, and frantic bunnyhopping, and a ranged unit who carries more than enough firepower to kill his counterpart in <b>half a clip</b> but his gun is so accurate that he has to precisely aim at the fast moving, chaotic alien with absolute precision.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What he said.
    Hi, its me sunday Sam I work 5 days a week have a life and friends. This sunday I decided to play my favorite game NS2 which I have heard so much about. I start the game it will automatically move me into a server im very excited. I spawn as a marine I move slowly around without a purpose enjoying the beatiful graphics without a worry taking my I see many marines passing me with a haste but I'm in no hurry I look at my weapon arsenal lmg pistol axe I finally realize that I should be using these but instead ill start chatting how nice day I had 10 minutes later I decide to move out of the place I spawned. I'll move slowly checking every corner despite my fellow marines passing me with their cool sprint ability. I decide to use axe as weapon pop-up tells me im in a strategic position taking my time Ill read out what it is about and after walls of text I continue further. With Axe in my hand I see a dog like creature running although I never managed to survive 2mins in tetris I can see this very clearly with mouse1 bottomed I run towards it. The dog like creature dies and I feel very proud managing to kill this without realizing it was actually weakened by some other guys. I continue this the battlefield where I rush towards to aliens with all my might dieing few times but I dont mind this is so fun. After 25mins of fighting in this spot I realize (thanks to the popup) that I can buy weapons how cool, I try these grenadelauncher being my absolute favorit I sit here near siege spamming armory for ammo and nading the area where aliens seem to come from. Mr. Casual and ULTIMATEPLAYRR next to me say that this is how NS was played in previous version and they are the proud duo leading stats I admire em. After 20mins of spamming some people leave the server and we win the round. It was so cool, I learned so much I think ill come back later next weekend.

Chris0132 you are not making any sense.
  • RazorRazor Join Date: 2010-02-23 Member: 70695Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758678:date=Mar 10 2010, 05:25 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Mar 10 2010, 05:25 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758678"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I'm mostly interested in it as a modding base to turn into something I do like, or possibly just as a mapping tool as mapping is fun in and of itself, often moreso than the actual game it's being done for.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

What he said.

but more on topic... Mx just keep playing with the intent on getting better. If you die or loose think about what you may have done wrong and would you could do better. When I started playing TF2 after not playing a multiplayer FPS for a long time I got a bit frustrated than I couldn't keep up but after a lot of play I got much better.

Or you can simply wait for NS2 to come out. IMO any game that gets old and all thats left are vets doesn't make for an enjoyable game anymore because like you said its like a competitive game between very experienced players. Savage 2(closest related to NS game play I can think of) is in this similar state but there are some new players occasionally thanks to the free trial.
  • GregzenegairGregzenegair Join Date: 2009-06-26 Member: 67944Members
    edited March 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1758686:date=Mar 10 2010, 11:55 PM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 10 2010, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758686"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Chris0132 you are not making any sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree with what Chris0132 said.

If you take TF2, you do not especially need to play everyday to be good, but you need skill, and even if you are a HARDCORE gamer, you will be better than a regular gamer. More you play, better you are. But if you only plays 5 hours a week you are not totaly useless.

I think NS1 turned too much on skillzor to be appreciated, I enjoyed first versions where it was not so hard to become good, but last version are played by guys that only play this game 5 hours a day and kill you in 3 seconds as a fade and fly off. That is not fun.
  • Voyager IVoyager I Join Date: 2009-11-02 Member: 69222Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758699:date=Mar 11 2010, 01:04 AM:name=Gregzenegair)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gregzenegair @ Mar 11 2010, 01:04 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758699"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I agree with what Chris0132 said.

If you take TF2, you do not especially need to play everyday to be good, but you need skill, and even if you are a HARDCORE gamer, you will be better than a regular gamer. More you play, better you are. But if you only plays 5 hours a week you are not totaly useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TF2 took Casual too far. It's one thing to make a game accessible, but Valve made TF2 so easy that a significant portion of the playerbase never actually learns how to play the game simply because they don't have to. We don't want to make games completely merciless to new players, but we also want to make sure they are guided towards improving.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    find some bot server and try those out so you can play around with stuff...
  • celewigncelewign Join Date: 2010-02-06 Member: 70458Members
    I had the same problem with Quakelive, having never been a quake player (other than a bit of Q3)... took me three months of 1hour a day play and I can just hold my own in lower tiers.

Playing games with pros takes work. Get used to it. Its fun.
  • 1mannARMEE1mannARMEE Join Date: 2008-09-23 Member: 65064Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758644:date=Mar 10 2010, 10:32 PM:name=MxOAgentJohnson)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MxOAgentJohnson @ Mar 10 2010, 10:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758644"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This being the ns2 forums i know all the responces will most likely be, troll, noob or trolling noob<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Given this entry and the entire tone of your post, you should deserve only trolls, but do you see how friendly the community is and tries to help newer players,
    you should be able to differentiate between those nice people and random-update-hater-trolls.

As far as I know it seems like NS2 will be quite new (they stated 1/3 old 1/3 new 1/3 improved, but I think you can say 1/2 new 1/2 improved)
    The learning curve will be easier and they try to make it competetive still.
    Skulks will be the main fighters for the Kharaa throughout the whole game,
    they said somwhere something about more HP for them, but also stated that in general nearly no upgrade / weapon / tech / creature should be completly useless in any stage of the game.

For NS1 right now, I can only repeat what all the others said, those people that are playing it right now played it for years and they most likely played CS and HL before that and they got really good with some mechanics that are in this engine, so most of them mastered the movement as an alien, which leads to (if well ambushed) an invincible skulk or lerk, even if it looks like they are doing nothing special. As a marine you'll have a hard time hitting anything, because your guns shoot exactly at the location you aimed at (no recoil + nearly 100% accuracy) which makes it maybe a little harder for new marines to aim.

But there is no game out there that is 10 years old that makes fun if you play online (and with none of your friends of course) most of the time you just get stomped by some "pros" and most of the time these "pros" only expect good players on their servers, so they might either help you or more likely flame you :P

What you really need for a successfull NS1 playing is:
    - a good autoexec.cfg (it has so much stuff you can edit which isn't in the normal options)
    - movement (bhopping as marine and kharaa, dodging attacks, wallhopping as skulk, lerk movement, fade movement and so on)
    - a very high level of awareness as marine and maybe even higher as kharaa (depending on your lifeform)
    - precise aim and high sensitivity and high reactions (you need to be able to turn and hit the skulk that dropped out of the vent behind you or you are dead)
    - high knowledge of the map, so you can hide on the fly and do not have to look for the vents, or you know the ambush points as marine
    - you have to be listening, sound plays a large role in this game

So you might either go on normal servers and play a bit passive as gorge (try to heal teammembers and build Ressource Towers and ask your team for the right Chambers, sometimes they want some Sentry Action, you should know the right places to put those chambers)
    As a marine you want to follow some people in a squad (don't go alone you'll just die) and by this you can learn the map, you shouldn't pick up weapons unless they are dropped especially for you, or you want to save some that are not in the marine base.

Or you can go on a combat server and experiment with some of the upgrades freely, try to rush cloaking on a skulk when the match starts and go focus afterwards and you can munch away on those marines and you might have an easier time doing this compared to the normal servers.

Just my ideas,
    I haven't played for a long time,
    but thats what I would do.

PS: I guess on those Lerk.com or lerk.org ? there are some nice premade configs, including alien crosshairs which work pretty well if you edit them a little, they also remove ambient sound and so on, its maybe just a link on that page, its made by a NS1 clan (sorry I can't remember who did that package ...)

PSS: there is a "map" hotkey, bind it to ALT and you can always take a look on the map and the other players moving, try to bind +movement as an alien on your second mouse button, it will make playing fade and Hive II Skulk quite easy. These are all the things you need to know before you are able to play good and thats maybe the main problem with NS1.
  • Chris0132Chris0132 Join Date: 2009-07-25 Member: 68262Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758702:date=Mar 11 2010, 12:46 AM:name=Voyager I)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Voyager I @ Mar 11 2010, 12:46 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758702"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 took Casual too far. It's one thing to make a game accessible, but Valve made TF2 so easy that a significant portion of the playerbase never actually learns how to play the game simply because they don't have to. We don't want to make games completely merciless to new players, but we also want to make sure they are guided towards improving.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TF2 removes the need for quite a lot of standard FPS skills like aiming, but in theory there's still a lot of strategy involved, if you know when and where the enemy is and what class they are, you can pick your fights and dominate by attacking classes weak to yours.

The problem is that strategy only works if the opponent is using it, otherwise you might as well try to predict lighting in a thunderstorm.

In highly competitive play I would expect TF2 to be a perfectly good game, but as with any game when you play it casually it prevents other people from playing it hardcore, the only difference in most games is that players can develop other skills not really related to thought but more muscle memory based, like fast reflexes and perfect aim, so they do well regardless of how well they actually play, it's more about how often they play and so how well developed their muscle memory is.

In a sense TF2 actually makes a better competitive game because it removes a lot of things you can only develop through repetition (and thus will be present in regular gamers regardless of their hardcoreness or not, someone who plays CSS a lot but not in a clan or anything will be better than someone who plays in organised games but not very often) and it leaves only those mechanics which you can exploit through thought.

As NS is sold on its strategy I would have thought NS players would like TF2, although NS also has some of the most excessive reflex based skill requirements so it's possible people don't play it for the strategy.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    NS1 assumes decent aim and twitch skill by default. Once you have that you should work on spatial awareness (where you and your opponents are in a room, and ways to move within the room.) Bhop can be a part of this, but doesn't need to be on public servers. It does help of course, but most people learn it when they have a good overall grasp of the game all ready.

Once you have individual combat down next is map awareness, knowing the strategy of the game and where to be on a map. This doesn't mean memorizing maps(although that will probably happen), but anticipating the opposing teams strategy and how to thwart them through your positioning.
    <!--quoteo(post=1758790:date=Mar 11 2010, 08:10 PM:name=Chris0132)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Chris0132 @ Mar 11 2010, 08:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758790"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->TF2 removes the need for quite a lot of standard FPS skills like aiming, but in theory there's still a lot of strategy involved, if you know when and where the enemy is and what class they are, you can pick your fights and dominate by attacking classes weak to yours.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Removing skill-based things to make the game easier for those who do not wish to improve and adding illusion of a "strategy" which is in reality is A or B isnt good. NS provided a lot of variables in tactics and each move opponent made forced you react that is part of the depth we wish to see.

Again you are not making sense.
  • DixieWolfDixieWolf Join Date: 2010-02-10 Member: 70508Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1758798:date=Mar 11 2010, 11:50 AM:name=TrC)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TrC @ Mar 11 2010, 11:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1758798"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Removing skill-based things to make the game easier for those who do not wish to improve and adding illusion of a "strategy" which is in reality is A or B isnt good. NS provided a lot of variables in tactics and each move opponent made forced you react that is part of the depth we wish to see.

Again you are not making sense.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There is still a clear cut difference between people who are hardcore/good at TF2 and people who are casual/nubs. TF2 didn't remove skill-basis, it just made it possible to play with minimal skills. Not necessarily possible to do well with that level of skill though.

I do agree, NS1 is hard to get into, but it's fun if you put in the time... I'm still sorta terrible, but I occasionally do okay and end up upper-mid ranked
  • NortonNorton Join Date: 2005-01-13 Member: 35264Members
    I think the main difference between the skill in NS and the skill in TF2 is the number of people playing the game. NS is just a handful of pros, TF2 is boatloads of newbs. Being the best at either game is insanely difficult, but being better than at least someone is much easier in TF2 because of all the new players.