Skulks Viewcam Should Rotate With Map Geometry.

2»

Comments

• RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    To the audience: Don't you love nerdy girls, too? ;)
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103464" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=103464</a>

Already discussed to death.
  • kyliegirlkyliegirl Gorge Master Australia Join Date: 2002-12-11 Member: 10586Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1752166:date=Feb 10 2010, 11:27 AM:name=spellman23)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (spellman23 @ Feb 10 2010, 11:27 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752166"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=103464" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/forums/index....howtopic=103464</a>

Already discussed to death.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

it appears those were the decisions made when ns2 was still going to be using hl2 engine and not its own. Since they have made their own engine, it means they are now able to revisit the way they wanted to make certain things move (fade blink for example was forcefully changed as they couldnt fix ppl getting stuck in walls).

It is still a thing to consider, one post i noticed was someone said "skulks travel mostly on the floor" and the reason for that is because we cant make walls and ceilings a floor. If you have the rotating view then all the walls become floors for you and you will find more people running on the ceiling than on the floor, much like geckos who have particular preference to running on the side and upper walls than on the bottom wall, its safer.

It would still open up new methods for offence and defence, and much like jetpacks, fade blinking and lerk flying you eventually get the hang of the new controls and can benefit from them.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1752303:date=Feb 10 2010, 02:27 PM:name=kyliegirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyliegirl @ Feb 10 2010, 02:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->one post i noticed was someone said "skulks travel mostly on the floor" and the reason for that is because we cant make walls and ceilings a floor.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Actually the reason for that is bunnyhopping and continuity. You can't jump against gravity and ceilings/walls are never a continuous pathway (not as continuous as the floor). Although bhopping will be removed, there's no point in traveling on the ceiling if the majority of your path is either uneven and littered with props or can only be covered via the floor.

In other words the only time one would use the ceiling or wall is to gain access to a remote location or as tactical positioning just before a strike. In both cases this can be accomplished by traditional wallwalking (albeit perhaps not as easily) and whatever tactical advantages you gain are undone by inevitable reorientation.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1752303:date=Feb 10 2010, 08:27 PM:name=kyliegirl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kyliegirl @ Feb 10 2010, 08:27 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1752303"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It is still a thing to consider, one post i noticed was someone said "skulks travel mostly on the floor" and the reason for that is because we cant make walls and ceilings a floor. If you have the rotating view then all the walls become floors for you and you will find more people running on the ceiling than on the floor, much like geckos who have particular preference to running on the side and upper walls than on the bottom wall, its safer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    As renegade mentioned, it's partitially a bunnyhop and continuity issue. I don't at least intentionally pick floor just because it's the surface on the bottom of my screen. Most of all I feel uncomfortable on other surfaces because the they limit the directions I can dodge. For example any kind of vertical dodge on the ceiling forces me to let go and after that any decent marine will pick the skulk away before I can regain the control from gravity. I'm not actually sure how my play style reacted if I'd have no potential speed advantage on the ground though, the game just isn't designed for that right now.

----

As a player that looks mostly NS as a calculated strategical/tactical team shooter, I'd rather keep the viewpoint as it is. I see the skulk as an interesting challenge as a game element in terms of finding ways to outplay the marine, but I don't really have any need to feel like being a skulk more than I already am. On AvP games on the other hand I really like the rotating viewpoint because I see them more as atmospheric singleplayer games if anything.

Better navigation on various surfaces would be really nice though, but I'd still try to sort it out without the rotational viewpoint.
  • a_civiliana_civilian Likes seeing numbers Join Date: 2003-01-08 Member: 12041Members, NS1 Playtester, Playtest Lead
    One thing that view rotation could provide that would be useful (and not just atmospheric) is the ability to strafe on walls. In NS you have to +moveup/+movedown for that, which most people don't bind (well, at least I don't). The ability to strafe on walls would make the wallwalking ability more useful in melee. For example, suppose you're attacking a marine next to a wall. In NS, you'll circle strafe him on the floor because that's the only way to aim at him while simultaneously dodging his fire. If you could strafe on walls, another option would be to circle strafe him on the wall. (Admittedly, the floor option is usually still preferable because it cuts off his dodging space. But one can think of situations where the wall would be better.)
  • TerrTerr Arthritic Skulk Join Date: 2002-11-07 Member: 7486Members
    edited February 2010
    The problem with view rotation is this:

Map support!

It worked in AVP2 because most of the multiplayer environments were designed for it. It imposes it's own style of map geometry. Remember all those walls that <b>weren't</b> 90-degrees, but had little 45-degree fillers in there? All those variations on hexagons and octagons?

In order for NS2 to support view-rotation and <b>not</b> suck, all the maps would need to have visible or invisible geometry to soften hard angles.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpsUuH5SNtY" target="_blank">Example video</a>. Notice the wall shapes. <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbOP-oK1C1s" target="_blank">Another video</a>. Or for the newer AVP title, look at most of the hallways <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fz6_B2P1Wn8" target="_blank">here</a>. Again, all the hallways are angled for a hexagonal or octagonal shape for smoother transitions and easier orientation.

Now, all the NS maps <b>could</b> be made that way, with elaborate care taken so that no small decorative piece of material would make your view go nuts as you went over it, but...