I will buy NS2 only when the alpha goes live

hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
And i'm sure alot of other people will act the same way.

Comments

• w0dk4w0dk4 Join Date: 2008-04-22 Member: 64129Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
  • Skyforger2Skyforger2 Join Date: 2007-10-19 Member: 62681Members
  • hotd0ghotd0g Join Date: 2004-03-19 Member: 27419Members
    Just sayin, UW will only get my money when they release something playable.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749879:date=Jan 31 2010, 01:24 AM:name=monopolowa)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (monopolowa @ Jan 31 2010, 01:24 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749879"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->That's nice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i for one think thats nice as well..

if anyone cares ill be going to bed around 10 tonight..
  • SinAngstSinAngst Join Date: 2005-03-05 Member: 43460Members
    I had soup for dinner.

I don't think the crew intended the majority of their customers to pre-order NS2... I would venture to guess that the majority of those who did pre-order did so because they feel an affinity to the original game and the NS developers.

It is cool that you are interested in the game though :)
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    the only thing that separates investors, supporters, and customers are varying degrees of blindness.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    well i guess you won't have to wait long as a playable alpha is next on the agenda by the sounds of it.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    And i`m gonna own you only when the alpha is out !

:D
  • BigTextBigText Join Date: 2007-12-21 Member: 63231Members
    I don't understand why everyone is being rude to this guy. I think what he said is perfectly acceptable. I preordered a long time ago, but still.

I believe this thread was meant for other people who were also only going to pay when there was something playable to post and possibly discuss reasons for their choice.
  • Renegade.Renegade. Join Date: 2003-01-15 Member: 12313Members, Constellation
    I don't see any rudeness (except for maybe two posts). I think the large majority of customers/supporters are in the same boat as OP (including myself), and so not there's not much to discuss. Reasons? because blind investors are rare.
  • steppin'razorsteppin'razor Join Date: 2008-09-18 Member: 65033Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749870:date=Jan 31 2010, 10:42 AM:name=hotd0g)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hotd0g @ Jan 31 2010, 10:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749870"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->And i'm sure alot of other people will act the same way.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Mind-blowing
  • HeymanHeyman Join Date: 2005-03-29 Member: 46895Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749890:date=Jan 30 2010, 11:22 PM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Jan 30 2010, 11:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why everyone is being rude to this guy. I think what he said is perfectly acceptable. I preordered a long time ago, but still.

I believe this thread was meant for other people who were also only going to pay when there was something playable to post and possibly discuss reasons for their choice.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's because he felt the need to announce it. We all understand the logic behind it, but we don't understand the clear attention-grabbing.
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749880:date=Jan 31 2010, 02:05 AM:name=whocareswc)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (whocareswc @ Jan 31 2010, 02:05 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749880"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->if anyone cares ill be going to bed around 10 tonight..<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

11 minutes to go ..
  • ctdctd Join Date: 2009-06-01 Member: 67611Members
    Yeah same. I was hoping to buy it off steam for various reasons but an alpha release would probably be too tempting.
  • TheMatrixTheMatrix Join Date: 2008-11-02 Member: 65358Members
    i don't see that people are rude:S
    He should have expected comments like this, when he post something like that xD

But i think its pretty much off topic ATM xD
  • BiglinesBiglines Join Date: 2003-12-07 Member: 24094Members, Constellation
    edited January 2010
    I really don't get why so many people are thinking the alpha won't come out... It's an independent developer, they HAVE to bring out a game, or they would be very very in debt. Big game studios can drop games after a while, but small developers like UWE might bring out a really crappy game very late, but it sure as hell will come out... a playable alpha will prove exactly nothing more. I mean they could bring out what they have now, say it's alpha, and you'd buy the game? stupid way of looking at things.

Either pre-order because you trust UWE to make an awesome game like most of us, or hang back till release so you can see what the huge amount of fans think of the game (which will be slightly skewed anyway), saying you want alpha to be released is just weird as it will prove nothing more than has already been proven (seeing as when alpha comes out it will probably have a NDA and you will still not know what's going on)
  • cmc5788cmc5788 Join Date: 2009-10-06 Member: 68959Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749931:date=Jan 31 2010, 03:55 AM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jan 31 2010, 03:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749931"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I really don't get why so many people are thinking the alpha won't come out... It's an independent developer, they HAVE to bring out a game, or they would be very very in debt. Big game studios can drop games after a while, but small developers like UWE might bring out a really crappy game very late, but it sure as hell will come out... a playable alpha will prove exactly nothing more. I mean they could bring out what they have now, say it's alpha, and you'd buy the game? stupid way of looking at things.

Either pre-order because you trust UWE to make an awesome game like most of us, or hang back till release so you can see what the huge amount of fans think of the game (which will be slightly skewed anyway), saying you want alpha to be released is just weird as it will prove nothing more than has already been proven (seeing as when alpha comes out it will probably have a NDA and you will still not know what's going on)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't think it has anything to do with DISBELIEF in the alpha. The screenshots and steadily-updated editor and videos, etc., all indicate that the developers are very talented and making a very polished product. However, there's really no way to quantify a "polished product" in terms of a gamer's preferences. I'd imagine that many people would like to find out if the game "feels right" for them before they decide to invest in it. At least, that's my take. I loved NS1 and I have faith in the developers, but I'm also a poor college student and I'd like to get a feel for the product before I invest. I'm about 99% sure I'll make the purchase, but... it's just a matter of principle. I come from a long line of hard-shoppers and bargainers :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1749974:date=Jan 31 2010, 11:01 AM:name=cmc5788)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cmc5788 @ Jan 31 2010, 11:01 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749974"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it has anything to do with DISBELIEF in the alpha. The screenshots and steadily-updated editor and videos, etc., all indicate that the developers are very talented and making a very polished product. However, there's really no way to quantify a "polished product" in terms of a gamer's preferences. I'd imagine that many people would like to find out if the game "feels right" for them before they decide to invest in it. At least, that's my take. I loved NS1 and I have faith in the developers, but I'm also a poor college student and I'd like to get a feel for the product before I invest. I'm about 99% sure I'll make the purchase, but... it's just a matter of principle. I come from a long line of hard-shoppers and bargainers :P<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    and how would you know? alpha states are generally under an NDA, so waiting for alpha will give you no information whatsoever about the "feel" of the game, and even if there weren't an NDA, you can't play the alpha without pre-ordering
  • Raza.Raza. Join Date: 2004-01-24 Member: 25663Members, Constellation
    I doubt the alpha will be released under NDA.
    There are thousands of people involved, not just a small testing group.
    mmo beta's are also with thousands of people, and always with an nda
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749980:date=Jan 31 2010, 11:35 AM:name=Biglines)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Biglines @ Jan 31 2010, 11:35 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749980"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->and how would you know? alpha states are generally under an NDA, so waiting for alpha will give you no information whatsoever about the "feel" of the game, and even if there weren't an NDA, you can't play the alpha without pre-ordering<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I'm sure there will be gameplay videos and reports on the forums. Enough to get a feel for things. There won't be an NDA (principles of open development, etc. -- from the marketing standpoint of a small indie company and the premises set by UWE's behavior, the idea that the alpha will have an NDA is somewhat absurd)
  • MaxMax Technical Director, Unknown Worlds Entertainment Join Date: 2002-03-15 Member: 318Super Administrators, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    We certainly don't want people to judge the quality of the game based on an alpha.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749985:date=Jan 31 2010, 07:14 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 31 2010, 07:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We certainly don't want people to judge the quality of the game based on an alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hehe well said!
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749890:date=Jan 31 2010, 03:22 AM:name=BigText)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BigText @ Jan 31 2010, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749890"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't understand why everyone is being rude to this guy. I think what he said is perfectly acceptable. I preordered a long time ago, but still.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The original post, the whole thread is entirely rude. Why are people being rude to someone? How about I come to your work place and make a demand for a product to do something even though I haven't bought it, let's see how you react.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    But the OP didn't demand anything. He is just making a statement. "I will buy NS2 only when the alpha goes live". It's like saying "I will move into the house, once it has been built". There is nothing wrong with that statement.

Though one entire thread doesn't justify making a statement. There are other threads where you could have made that statement.
  • BonzaiBonzai Join Date: 2008-07-17 Member: 64654Members
    Shouldn't you support the developers now when they need the resources most, instead of when the product is done and your contribution becomes less effective?
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749990:date=Jan 31 2010, 07:34 PM:name=Bonzai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bonzai @ Jan 31 2010, 07:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shouldn't you support the developers now when they need the resources most, instead of when the product is done and your contribution becomes less effective?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Indeed, no one wants to make a game if everyone was complaining all the times

But to OP: that statement is a total waste a space , i think it's an attempt to see how many are willing to support me in "my statement" (dead post) So a post like this should just be deleted...
    Like others said before me: there is a lot of post were the statement would fit in.

Cheers
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749990:date=Jan 31 2010, 01:34 PM:name=Bonzai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bonzai @ Jan 31 2010, 01:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shouldn't you support the developers now when they need the resources most, instead of when the product is done and your contribution becomes less effective?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    yep, it's even been said that the huge amount of pre-orders have actually allowed UWE to put back in a bunch of stuff they would have otherwise had to scrap.

<!--quoteo(post=1749985:date=Jan 31 2010, 01:14 PM:name=Max)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Max @ Jan 31 2010, 01:14 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749985"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We certainly don't want people to judge the quality of the game based on an alpha.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    they will if they're allowed to

As to saying nda in open development, nda's are usually in place not to guard secrets, but to make sure there is no idiots posting on forums and news blogs that the game is buggy and crap, leading to negative press while it is total bull###### to judge a game in a beta state, let alone an alpha state.

like I said before, I can get it if you don't want to spend money on a game which you have no idea about whether it will be good, but an alpha will in no way show whether or not the game will be good, it wouldn't be an alpha it would. Either pre-order because you trust something good will come out, or wait until after retail so you can actually judge the final product. Because believe me, the apha state will be crap, buggy and not enjoyable to mess around with.

personally I don't get why they even bother releasing alpha to the masses, end of beta is usually for that stage, alpha is only useful for professional testers who actually spend their time compiling bug reports, giving it out to the masses will probably mostly result in giving ammo to whiners and flamers

there's a good reason why other companies work with nda's and small test teams, 99% of the people that are going to get the alpha ns2 will be useless as testers, resulting in lots of useless crap bug reports on the best scenario, lots of flaming, ranting and negative press in the more realistic scenario

giving the spark editor and model stuff to play with, was a good move however, getting lot's of useful input, as well as possibly getting 2 or 3 good maps from the community to ship with the final product. I would have just released the editor, and some videos of a working alpha state as a reward for special edition pre-ordering, not giving out the actual alpha state of the game.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749990:date=Jan 31 2010, 12:34 PM:name=Bonzai)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bonzai @ Jan 31 2010, 12:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749990"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Shouldn't you support the developers now when they need the resources most, instead of when the product is done and your contribution becomes less effective?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My contribution will be less effective when they have their first alpha release because the product will be done? And here I thought alpha was the first letter in the alphabet? Those crazy Greeks, changing it right under my nose!