New Ubisoft DRM

ComproxComprox *chortle*Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
<div class="IPBDescription">WTF mate?!</div>From: <a href="http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098" target="_blank">http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62098</a>

The important bits (and this will be used on all their upcoming PC games, ala Assassin's Creed II):

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Players will be required to login to their Ubi.com account to authenticate each and every time they wish to play--and there will be no support at all for offline play.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Will I need to be online the whole time when I play the game? Including for single player?
Yes. You will need to have an active Internet connection to play the game, for all game modes.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->What will happen if I lose my Internet connection when I play the game?
If you lose your Internet connection the game will pause while it tries to reconnect.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Face, meet palm.

Comments

• That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    AHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA

yeah best of luck with that ubi

I give it less than a two weeks before a fix surfaces, if that.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    What's with these game companies making this stupid decisions?
  • Corporal_FortierCorporal_Fortier Join Date: 2005-03-22 Member: 46079Members, Constellation
    Seems like a big [PLEASE HACK ME] sign... But even then, they must know they are going to piss off people with that. Maybe they figured they wouldn't lose enough customers to make less profit.

I don't quite see why they would invest in such a system though. Seems like a waste to me since it's bound to get by-passed anyway...
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    How is that different from, say, any Steam game? I know that Steam has an offline mode, but I haven't used it in a long while so I don't know if it is no longer utterly useless.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    you don't need an internet connection to get to steams offline mode
    Does it work at all though? I distinctly recall it just doing a whole lot of "this game is not available in offline mode."
  • ScytheScythe Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 46NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation, Reinforced - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1749647:date=Jan 29 2010, 03:55 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jan 29 2010, 03:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you don't need an internet connection to get to steams offline mode<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT.

Oooobee will fall flat on their face with this. Cracks will be developed and uploaded with vicious speed.

--Scythe--
  • SentrySteveSentrySteve .txt Join Date: 2002-03-09 Member: 290Members, Constellation
    that's funny. i was waiting for ACII for the PC too.

I'd rather just use my gamestop store credit and buy it second hand for the PS3 rather than give Ubi money when they've implemented policies like this.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    I blame piracy...

... and stupid people.

they must realise some people have ###### internet.
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    Afaik Steam Offline mode only works if you were online.

So you log in and press the offline mode button. Now you can play offline as long as you want. But if you go online again and then your internet gets cut off, you're pretty much effed.
  • Draco_2kDraco_2k Evil Genius Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69546Members
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749646:date=Jan 29 2010, 08:47 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jan 29 2010, 08:47 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749646"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->How is that different from, say, any Steam game? I know that Steam has an offline mode, but I haven't used it in a long while so I don't know if it is no longer utterly useless.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Under the skin, not much. In execution, by a ton.

And yes, offline mode is buggy as hell. But at least it's there.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    We'll see. The first week is pretty crucial for AAA title sales. They might stick to the Internet authentication for a week or two and then patch it out. Hopefully. Otherwise I can't see it paying off in the long run. It's going to get cracked quite soon anyway and at that point the DRM is just a big sales hindrance and bad credit for the companies involved.
    edited January 2010
    It may also be an attempt at "haggling." Like when you sell something, you list it at a higher price than you want for it, then let the customer haggle you down and think they won. They announce this stuff, community outrage follows, Ubisoft announces "we listen to the community" and nix the most oppressive parts. Community applauds and thinks they beat The Man but the rest of the annoying DRM is still there.
  • FaskaliaFaskalia Wechsellichtzeichenanlage Join Date: 2004-09-12 Member: 31651Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749655:date=Jan 29 2010, 10:33 AM:name=Panigg)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Panigg @ Jan 29 2010, 10:33 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749655"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Afaik Steam Offline mode only works if you were online.

So you log in and press the offline mode button. Now you can play offline as long as you want. But if you go online again and then your internet gets cut off, you're pretty much effed.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Gha:

Let me clarify this:

Steam offline mode:Check the "save my account information" box and login successfully. Now cut your internet connection. Reboot. And you can still start steam in offline mode.

The only requirement for offline mode is having a correct hash key for logging in once.
  • PipiPipi Join Date: 2009-12-09 Member: 69550Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749667:date=Jan 29 2010, 04:45 AM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Jan 29 2010, 04:45 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749667"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It may also be an attempt at "haggling." Like when you sell something, you list it at a higher price than you want for it, then let the customer haggle you down and think they won. They announce this stuff, community outrage follows, Ubisoft announces "we listen to the community" and nix the most oppressive parts. Community applauds and thinks they beat The Man but the rest of the annoying DRM is still there.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Haha so true.. !

.. and I love George Carlin too ;)
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    This really really sucks. I usually like Ubi games, but this decision is completely ridiculous.

Face does indeed need to go to immediate vicinity of palm.
  • snooggumssnooggums Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68821Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749669:date=Jan 29 2010, 04:26 AM:name=Faskalia)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Faskalia @ Jan 29 2010, 04:26 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749669"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Gha:

Let me clarify this:

Steam offline mode:Check the "save my account information" box and login successfully. Now cut your internet connection. Reboot. And you can still start steam in offline mode.

The only requirement for offline mode is having a correct hash key for logging in once.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

While this works with most games (Crysis, Total War) I found out I cannot play HL2 single player in offline mode.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    <a href="http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/files/2009/09/doublefacepalm.jpg" target="_blank">http://www.redstate.com/neil_stevens/files...blefacepalm.jpg</a>
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1749647:date=Jan 28 2010, 11:55 PM:name=That_Annoying_Kid)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (That_Annoying_Kid @ Jan 28 2010, 11:55 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749647"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->you don't need an internet connection to get to steams offline mode<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Actually, as someone who recently had internet outage for about a week at him home, you do.

Let me be more precise. You have to have saved all your login info. on the system in order to access your games. If not, after finding no way to reach the internet, it will try to figure out what account to log into and fail, thus dying a horrible death. Basically, for someone who's a non-password saver in fear of hacks, I'm locked out.

And yeah, no Valve games work in offline except for a few, like Portal.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18951Members
    This sounds as dumb to me as it does to you guys, but I will play the devil's advocate. Is piracy not a large problem? Does anyone play games on a computer with no internet anymore? Would this actually impact anyone who owns the game legitimately?
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1749727:date=Jan 29 2010, 03:02 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Jan 29 2010, 03:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This sounds as dumb to me as it does to you guys, but I will play the devil's advocate. Is piracy not a large problem? Does anyone play games on a computer with no internet anymore? Would this actually impact anyone who owns the game legitimately?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

My problem with this opinion is that the *only* people this DRM will affect is your legitimate customers. The pirated copy will remove this and the game wil be pirated regarldess of this new DRM. So all they are doing is causing pain and havok for their paying customers. People who pirate will have a better customer experience than someone who dished out cash.

Yes, most people have internet, but a good chunk don't. If you are travelling with a powerful laptop, you may not. Where I live, a lot of people work and live on remote oil rigs with next to no internet access and bring games along. Take a wild stab what these people will do when presented with the purchase or pirate choice?
  • TemphageTemphage Join Date: 2009-10-28 Member: 69158Members
    edited January 2010
    Yes, people play with no internet. Quite often in fact.

Traveling for pleasure - five hour layover? Nothing to do? Can't play your game unless you pony up cash to pay for airport wifi. Or maybe you're staying with someone who doesn't have a router - I could go on and on about this.

Traveling for business - Staying in hotels without free internet, maybe going on a military deployment? Kiss your games goodbye. Sticking with the military angle, this pretty much rules out anyone in the Coast Guard or the Navy from ever playing their games - much less people with long deployment schedules to remote locations.

Internet is just out (it does that you know). Or maybe you just have unstable internet - that happens too. Game would be unplayable. I'd love to see the game pausing every 6 seconds for a moment because it dropped a packet or something.

People with strict caps, Fair Use or otherwise - a game constantly calling home to write and load save data or just to make sure you're even online is GOING to add up.

For about a week and a half after New Years, my internet was literally <b>unusably slow</b> for random periods of the night (speeds of about 5 b/s). I would not be able to play my game like this.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1749727:date=Jan 29 2010, 09:02 PM:name=DiscoZombie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DiscoZombie @ Jan 29 2010, 09:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749727"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This sounds as dumb to me as it does to you guys, but I will play the devil's advocate. Is piracy not a large problem? Does anyone play games on a computer with no internet anymore? Would this actually impact anyone who owns the game legitimately?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

1) Piracy is a problem but annoying legit customers isn't exactly going to help games companies.

2) Most computers have an internet connection. Most people suffer their internet cutting out at random times. Imagine you're on the final boss or doing something awesome, your router packs up, and your game pauses and won't let you continue until you've rebooted the router (something I have to do like 6 times a day because it's crap) or if it's packed up completely, go and buy another one.

3) It probably will. I own another ubisoft game that uses a DRM system (starforce? I think), Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones. It won't work on my computer because the DRM doesn't recognise vista, and vista does not recognise the DRM. They complain at each other like hell, resulting in the game not running. The vista patch for the DRM won't install, either, leaving me with a game I bought legitimiately not working on my computer for absolutely no reason.

DRM like this is stupid, I've always said it. Piracy is a problem, yes, but basically every DRM system I've seen seems to be completely missing the point. Think about it; if you can write a DRM system, someone else can crack it. A lot of pirates are just people who have a basic understanding of P2P systems, sure, but there are a lot of talented people out there who work to crack stuff like this, and they *will* do it. Once there's a <b>single</b> cracked game "out there" on the various P2P sites, every single person in the world has potential access to a free, non-drm'd version of the game, which means the only people who have to jump through hoops to get the game running are the people who bought it properly.

I picture DRM as a super advanced front door to your house. It requires 15 keys to get through, and a retinal scan, every time you want to get in. But a burglar? He's just going to smash the window and climb in, easily.
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Would ubisoft making this new requirement make it harder for pirates? Or does just having an ubisoft account suffice, and has nothing to do with the authenticity of the game?
    edited January 2010
    I would like to interject by saying that I own several games that use Starforce which I will never play because I found out the thing cuts my average FPS by 50. Also, I believe, the most effective form of DRM to date proved to be packaging your game with persistent on-line capabilities (multiplayer, community, achievements, updates) than tunnel through a master server.

Please continue.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749737:date=Jan 29 2010, 09:40 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Jan 29 2010, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749737"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would like to interject by saying that I own several games that use Starforce which I will never play because I found out the thing cuts my average FPS by 50. Also, I believe, the most effective form of DRM to date proved to be packaging your game with persistent on-line capabilities (multiplayer, community, achievements, updates) than tunnel through a master server.

Please continue.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stardock's method worked pretty well for them.
  • monopolowamonopolowa Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28839Members
    When I brought my PC to QuakeCon's BYOC lan last year, I forgot to switch Steam to "offline mode" before I left. Had to go around and bug people until I found someone with a USB 3G dongle to log back in, only to find that an update had been released for TF2 (you can't play a game in offline mode unless it's fully up to date). And of course, once I had the update, I STILL couldn't play it because nobody else did.

so yeah, lame.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749738:date=Jan 30 2010, 12:42 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jan 30 2010, 12:42 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749738"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stardock's method worked pretty well for them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's a great idea, yes. I believe Steamworks uses it too now, hopefully more companies will catch on.
    <!--quoteo(post=1749745:date=Jan 29 2010, 09:51 PM:name=Draco_2k)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Draco_2k @ Jan 29 2010, 09:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's a great idea, yes. I believe Steamworks uses it too now, hopefully more companies will catch on.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Huh?

Stardock doesn't have really any kind of DRM at all - Steamworks is 100% DRM platform... what are you talking about?

Steamworks is actually pretty ridiculous if you think about it - requiring me to install a <b>store</b> not even owned by the company that makes the damn game I'm trying to play? Didn't we used to call that adware?
    edited January 2010
    <!--quoteo(post=1749746:date=Jan 30 2010, 12:55 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jan 30 2010, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Stardock doesn't have really any kind of DRM at all - Steamworks is 100% DRM platform... what are you talking about?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Stardock uses unique executable file generation, Steamworks does the same. Both platforms offer many features other than DRM.

<!--quoteo(post=1749746:date=Jan 30 2010, 12:55 AM:name=Temphage)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Temphage @ Jan 30 2010, 12:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1749746"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Steamworks is actually pretty ridiculous if you think about it - requiring me to install a <b>store</b> not even owned by the company that makes the damn game I'm trying to play? Didn't we used to call that adware?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Steam is both adware and very ridiculous, yes. However it's also pretty much the best thing on-line distribution came up with, minding that Impulse misses a metric ton of Steam's features and products. On the practical level, both do nothing other than quietly sit in your tray with their vast 3Mb memory consumption, a lot better than rootkits that cause your OS to lock up randomly.