Dual Update for Soldier and Demo

locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">Whoo!</div>Best. Intro. Ever!

<a href="http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3219" target="_blank">http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3219</a>

<a href="http://www.teamfortress.com/war/administrator/" target="_blank">http://www.teamfortress.com/war/administrator/</a>

<span style='color:#000000;background:#000000'>Pits of America</span>

And now for the rampant and unfounded speculation.

Demo gets a glass eye that stuns targets.

Soldier gets a rocket shovel.

Comments

• spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    Or they're adding some kind of Betrayal mode.
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu Anememone Join Date: 2002-03-23 Member: 345Members
    They already said no new game mode.
  • MonkfishMonkfish Sonic-boom-inducing buttcheeks of terrifying speed&#33; Join Date: 2003-06-03 Member: 16972Members
    Maybe they'll put that trading system in.

(lol)
  • AbraAbra Would you kindly Join Date: 2003-08-17 Member: 19870Members
    Pits of America scenic tour!!!
  • GeminosityGeminosity :3 Join Date: 2003-09-08 Member: 20667Members
    I doubt this is how it works, but it'd be interesting if you and an enemy form a 'friendship' and the friendship lasts until one of you kills the other. While the friendship is active it accumulates points or value making the prize at the end greater when it's finally broken.
    The thing is, only the person who breaks the friendship actually gets the prize; so it's about seeing how long you can trust your 'partner' before paranoia beats out your combined greed :3
  • PaniggPanigg Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58212Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1743253:date=Dec 10 2009, 11:22 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Dec 10 2009, 11:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743253"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I doubt this is how it works, but it'd be interesting if you and an enemy form a 'friendship' and the friendship lasts until one of you kills the other. While the friendship is active it accumulates points or value making the prize at the end greater when it's finally broken.
    The thing is, only the person who breaks the friendship actually gets the prize; so it's about seeing how long you can trust your 'partner' before paranoia beats out your combined greed :3<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That would uhh... be... kind of.... weird. How do you not just kill everything not your color?
    ~shrug~

Your friend would probably have a big icon above them, rather like your nemesis. It's not really important though as this is my just throwing out random stuff. Heck knows what valve is really doing :3
  • lolfighterlolfighter Snark, Dire Join Date: 2003-04-20 Member: 15693Members
    That thing you describe sounds extremely familiar. Wasn't that in UT3 too?
  • RobRob Unknown Enemy Join Date: 2002-01-24 Member: 25Members, NS1 Playtester
    edited December 2009
    I think the soldier/demo update hype is coming from here: <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12382854#post12382854" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...54#post12382854</a> or posturing like it.

The friend mini game sounds like a really neat idea for TF2! It's got solid roots in game theory, and is a lot like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_attrition_%28game%29" target="_blank">War of attrition</a> or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_chicken" target="_blank">Chicken</a>. I'd be excited to see something like that put in!
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1743272:date=Dec 10 2009, 08:09 AM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 10 2009, 08:09 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743272"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think the soldier/demo update hype is coming from here: <a href="http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=12382854#post12382854" target="_blank">http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/show...54#post12382854</a> or posturing like it.

The friend mini game sounds like a really neat idea for TF2! It's got solid roots in game theory, and is a lot like <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_attrition_%28game%29" target="_blank">War of attrition</a> or <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_of_chicken" target="_blank">Chicken</a>. I'd be excited to see something like that put in!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really hope they don't.

TF2 is good for being a simple game of "Go over there, then over there, if there is anything that isn't your color in between, kill it".

Anything that tosses in a gimmicky "Kill every one, but not that guy!" leads me to expect people whoring it up.
    edited December 2009
    I don't think it would be that bad. You'd just reverse-prioritize this person instead of gunning for them like when they are your Nemesis. And if they do it the way Geminosity explained, you don't have to play along. You can kill your friend any time you want.

[edit]I need to start proofreading...
  • ThansalThansal The New Scum Join Date: 2002-08-22 Member: 1215Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1743274:date=Dec 10 2009, 09:00 AM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 10 2009, 09:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743274"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think it would be that bad. You'd just reverse-prioritize this person instead of gunning for them like when they are your Nemesis. And if they do it the way Geminosity explained, you don't have to play along. You can kill your friend any time you want.

[edit]I need to start proofreading...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

"WTH <Player>? Why didn't you kill the <Class> <Performing Objective>?!?"
    "He was my friend, I want to get <reward>"

I'll pass.
    uh-huh, it has problems fitting in with most of the TF2 game modes Than. It's more suited to a 'every person for themselves' kind of game than a team-based objective one or at least more something like survival or whatever that 'kill the whole other team' game is :3

Like I say though, just throwing out random thoughts. Who knows what Valve is really up to?
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Only if you throw in an indicator of their betrayal, it could work. I mean, the team won't be happy with their friendship and would want to get their achievement to eradicate a buddyteam :P
    <!--quoteo(post=1743282:date=Dec 10 2009, 09:52 AM:name=Geminosity)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geminosity @ Dec 10 2009, 09:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743282"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->uh-huh, it has problems fitting in with most of the TF2 game modes Than. It's more suited to a 'every person for themselves' kind of game than a team-based objective one or at least more something like survival or whatever that 'kill the whole other team' game is :3

Like I say though, just throwing out random thoughts. Who knows what Valve is really up to?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See, that would be fun, as a totally new game mode based around the idea.

Some one needs to make a mod that is based around that.
  • X_StickmanX_Stickman Not good enough for a custom title. Join Date: 2003-04-15 Member: 15533Members, Constellation
    If it's anything to do with the Soldier and Demo being friends and/or competing, rather than the comic and the story behind it just being a framing device to introduce a soldier/demo update and nothing more, it'd most likely just be weapon unlock achievements that are linked mostly to killing a soldier/demo. So most of the soldier achievements would revolve around killing demos and vice versa. Anything more complex than that seems kinda silly in the context of a game like TF2.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743278:date=Dec 10 2009, 02:23 PM:name=Thansal)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Thansal @ Dec 10 2009, 02:23 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743278"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"WTH <Player>? Why didn't you kill the <Class> <Performing Objective>?!?"
    "He was my friend, I want to get <reward>"

I'll pass.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Honestly, I think Valve would see that coming. Far be it from me to abandon cynicism, but I do give them more credit than that.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743315:date=Dec 10 2009, 01:02 PM:name=lolfighter)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lolfighter @ Dec 10 2009, 01:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743315"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Honestly, I think Valve would see that coming. Far be it from me to abandon cynicism, but I do give them more credit than that.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I agree, thus why I assume that isn't he update.

My guess is simply that it will be unlocks that are some how useful against the other.
  • SpoogeSpooge Thunderbolt missile in your cheerios Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 67Members
    The Soldier and the Demoman are the two biggest spammers around. This is clearly a way to encourage them to be more surgical in their attacks.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743321:date=Dec 10 2009, 01:41 PM:name=Spooge)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Spooge @ Dec 10 2009, 01:41 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743321"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The Soldier and the Demoman are the two biggest spammers around. This is clearly a way to encourage them to be more surgical in their attacks.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Are you kidding? Demo I can see, but the only time soldiers can spam is when they're shooting at a sentry. And even then they have to decide if it's <i>really</i> worth shooting that rocket.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743324:date=Dec 10 2009, 02:37 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 10 2009, 02:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743324"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Are you kidding? Demo I can see, but the only time soldiers can spam is when they're shooting at a sentry. And even then they have to decide if it's <i>really</i> worth shooting that rocket.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Soldier works fairly well with spray n pray. You wont top score boards, but you will not end up at the bottom either (like you would with most classes).
    I dunno, I guess maybe if you play in the bigger pubs out there... In the office we usually only have 3v3 or at the max 6v6. It's almost always a one on one fight. Spamming won't get you very far.
    The most common pub size is 24.
  • Konohas Perverted HermitKonohas Perverted Hermit Join Date: 2008-09-26 Member: 65075Members
    Only thing that sounds any good is the Rocket Shovel. The rest sounds lame. However I do agree that this will cause more spam from those classes than ever.
    So, it's up:
    <a href="http://www.teamfortress.com/war/" target="_blank">http://www.teamfortress.com/war/</a>

The start is that we will be seeing lots of Demos and Soldiers starting today, as which ever group kills more of the other group by the end of the week gets a bonus weapon...

Nothing on the base unlocks yet though...
    I think it would be neat if the soldier could give up his shotgun to get double capture speed like the scout.
  • RetalesRetales Panigg cultist Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19180Members
    I put a small bet on the Soldier getting some bullety gun for his main weapon. Or maybe a building-buster weapon.

I think I'll play some TF2 this evening. Don't know yet if I'll put some extra effort into killing the rival class.
    <!--quoteo(post=1743406:date=Dec 11 2009, 01:37 PM:name=Rob)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rob @ Dec 11 2009, 01:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1743406"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would be neat if the soldier could give up his shotgun to get double capture speed like the scout.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't think so. The soldier has too much staying power with his rocket launcher alone for double capture speed. Scouts generally have trouble with a 1-on-1 fight where the other side sees them coming or knows where they are and are usually forced to flee, the soldier notably less so.
    But the shotgun's pretty vital for finishing people off, especially pyros. Then again, I guess a whole team of soldiers with such powers would be a nightmare.
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Maybe if it was like a flag he had to plant to capture, and unplant before he can change back to rocket launcher.