New Forum Thread for NS2

brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
<div class="IPBDescription">AI development, structuring, tactic gaming genre</div>Is Natural Selection 2 still going to include an official AI? If so, I suggest putting up a thread for AI orientated discussion. Perhaps including a 'webbed' post naming the official contributors and noteworthy links.

I was highly interested in the AI wars ( Whichbot vs RC-bot). Perhaps as a point of interest, we can develop and discuss the base class of the official AI, and have future AI wars between the tweaked implementations.

There was an old DOS game (I cannot find any information on the web about) that was similar to this in concept.

The perspective was a top down view of a battle between 2 teams of 5 dragon-like creatures.
each of dragon-like creatures were customized pre-battle (using a arbitrary point-value system)..
Outside of visuals, the customization of factors such as; size of their head, size of the body, held other factors such as damage/attack rate, and endurance/defense, respectfully
Their movement was customized as well, within the unique movement system that was based off the relative position of their current target. For example, if the target object was directly in front of the dragon-like creature, you could plan out a tactic to jump/move in a circular motion around the target object (lets say 6 sequential movements in a clockwise fashion around the target would effectively get you behind the target if it were standing still). You could also plan out the movement to jump back, than strafe right over 2 sequential movements, and than perform other movements of your choosing. The attack system was relative to the individual creature factors, so if the attack rate was every three sequential movements.. your creature would be attacking (ranged attacks) at a point during your movement tactic, so it had a predictablility factor in that manner.

What this actually was, was a prelude to this interesting battle system implementation featured in Final Fantasy 12. Which is of course based in an 'event, conditional, effect list (sequential)' loop. FF12 had a priority system implementation that the DOS game didn't have, while the DOS game implemented a movement system that FF12 didn't implement as a customizable feature, but certainly had factored it in.

What I'm imagining here, is perhaps making a game out of the tactics of AI tweak implementations. An arbitrary point-value system may not be necessary, unless this sort of tactic gameplay becomes its own ns game genre, so to speak.

I would like to see the AI base class be implemented around enumerations, for the purpose of customization. So that the developing user can prioritize targets, as well as conditional statements and writing out an effect/order/command list to be executed sequentially.

Comments

• AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Can't you make the thread yourself? You seem to have thought a lot about it, after all.
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    At the very least, it takes a forum moderator to create a thread. I'm just a forum member, a new one at that.

I can start a topic post in the thread (or in any appropriate thread, for that matter), but the purpose of my thread suggestion is to invite commentary that is specific to the topic of AI development. Concepts pertaining to the structuring of the AI classes during the development period aren't, or don't have to be, technical based. Anyone can promote a concept, simply by referencing existing, interesting concepts, such as the DOS game I summarized and FF12 battle system I mentioned in the topic post.
  • KungFuDiscoMonkeyKungFuDiscoMonkey Creator of ns_altair 日本福岡県 Join Date: 2003-03-15 Member: 14555Members, NS1 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos
    I think he means sub-forum not thread.
  • brcaswellbrcaswell Join Date: 2009-10-30 Member: 69181Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1735970:date=Nov 3 2009, 06:26 PM:name=KungFuDiscoMonkey)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KungFuDiscoMonkey @ Nov 3 2009, 06:26 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1735970"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think he means sub-forum not thread.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sub-forum?

There are only two objects that make up the structure of a forum: threads and posts.
    A forum (as explained in the controversial wording, yet inherently true statement in Wikipedia) is represented as the web application that manages the user driven data that makes up the collection of posts and threads.

Using Unknown Worlds Forums* as an example, 'Natural Selection', 'Natural Selection 2', and 'Other' are all actually threads, which contain threads.

( * - should probably be singluar (i.e. Forum), as it probably consists of one web application.. In the current form (i.e. the columns containing the text 'forum') is a mis-categorization, which is ironic.)

Referencing Wikipedia: <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Thread" target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_forum#Thread</a> (Note: because of the nature of wikipedia, it's not supposed to be cited as a creditable, complete source. However, I've implemented & configured several forums of my own before, and this definition seems in order.

Align is probably referring to Topic Posts also being known as threads. Which, apparently is accurate. Actually, this forum treats all 'posts' with both thread and post behavior, so it's difficult to distinguish between the two types.

I generally like to keep to the constrains that a post can't contain a thread, but can contain a post; where as, a thread can contain both posts and additional threads. So my suggestion for a New Forum Thread meant that I would like to see an additional thread under the Natural Selection 2 thread, where people can add 'Topic Posts' to.
  • ComproxComprox *chortle* Canada Join Date: 2002-01-23 Member: 7Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    Seems most of the intertubes is wrong in what we call sub-forums then, me included! :)

No need for a whole sub-forum for that topic itself right now, but, please, go ahead and make any topics on the subject. You have obviously done your thinking on the matter!