Voice chat that only people around you can hear?

-Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
edited September 2009 in Ideas and Suggestions
EDIT:

A nice feature to add would be the ability to speak to nearby marines with voice chat. As in if you speak only people who are near you will be able to hear. A sort of localized chat that only people and aliens that are close to you can hear. Not a squad system like BF2 or Quake wars.. That doesn't work. A localized chat that people can hear in their relative distance to you. So when you are running around you don't clog the main team chat up when you want to tell the person next to you something. Then you can use the team chat for stuff that the entire team should hear.

What do you guys think? It would make the gameplay much better. Seeing as nothing like this has been made successfully yet.

Comments

• meh`meh` Join Date: 2009-03-10 Member: 66691Members
    edited September 2009
    Sounds dumb tbh. So while in a group, to contact the commander for a medpack/rt/etc one marine has to run all the way back to base? What if its just they need back up at a certain position, they have to leave to go find more marines? yeah, no thanks.
  • NeXuZNeXuZ Join Date: 2003-08-12 Member: 19594Members
    sounds like how it would work if they didnt use coms (voice chat) to communicate.

Sry, but this would not work, mabe of the game was at a slower pace (refering to NS1). You dont have time to sitt close to a hive with skulks allorver in every coner (as they can climb roofs and walls).

Anyway, nice idea, but dont see with working with NS2
  • 7th.Wrath7th.Wrath Join Date: 2008-05-31 Member: 64363Members
    Perhaps make it so that voice chat can be heard by your entire team, and nearby enemies.
  • NicolayNicolay Join Date: 2009-09-18 Member: 68819Members
    edited September 2009
    Maybe an Radio voice button which everyone hears, and an nearby voice button that only people hear when you're close?
    Could be useful and adds realism.
    But can make trouble, and may seem pointless.
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Resistance and Liberation has this feature in their mod (Source mod), and I absolutely hate it with disgust. NS and NS2 are team based games, that are not really based on realism.

I say no to this.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    True, while I must say the idea is interesting...not in this game. NS requires alot of large scale organization to be playable, which is hard enough to get simply because its an online game. Further restricting communications like this would just make it unrealistically impossible to organize the team.

• InsaneInsane Anomaly Join Date: 2002-05-13 Member: 605Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts, Future Perfect Developer
    I think this thread really belongs in I&S so... moved.
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    Has been suggested many times. Its a great idea.

Two buttons: 1 global, 1 local
    Local voice comm would originate at the player talking. Would make it extremely intuitive to determine who next to you was talking. Would make ingame chat better than ventrilo.
  • -Diesel--Diesel- Join Date: 2009-09-13 Member: 68769Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729004:date=Sep 26 2009, 07:15 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 26 2009, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has been suggested many times. Its a great idea.

Local voice comm would originate at the player talking. Would make it extremely intuitive to determine who next to you was talking. <b>Would make ingame chat better than ventrilo.</b><!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Thank God, I hate vent. I agree it is a good idea to consider.

To the guys who say it won't work out with NS2... there isn't even gameplay videos yet.. so how do you know it wouldn't work?
  • AshkajioniAshkajioni Ashkajioni Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729004:date=Sep 26 2009, 07:15 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 26 2009, 07:15 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729004"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Has been suggested many times. Its a great idea.

Local voice comm would originate at the player talking. Would make it extremely intuitive to determine who next to you was talking. Would make ingame chat better than ventrilo.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I woulden't mind seeing this at all. It might be abit confusing at first but once you're use to it it'd make small scale teamwork alot more efficient.

Can't have the entire team clogging the VC all at once.. So it'd be nice for that definatly!
    <!--quoteo(post=1729013:date=Sep 26 2009, 08:28 PM:name=Ashkajioni)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ashkajioni @ Sep 26 2009, 08:28 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729013"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I woulden't mind seeing this at all. It might be abit confusing at first but once you're use to it it'd make small scale teamwork alot more efficient.

Can't have the entire team clogging the VC all at once.. So it'd be nice for that definatly!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes that is another way to look at it.

When you got small groups running around yelling crap on the main mic... it can get annoying.

But also make the main radio hearable by the enemy also, when they are close to you. So you always have to be aware about speaking.

... they can even make the humans voice on the mic distorted so they only hear "blah blah blah" Because aliens shouldn't be able to understand humans. It would really suck if some guy hears your epic plan and the entire alien teams finds out.
  • AshkajioniAshkajioni Ashkajioni Join Date: 2003-02-25 Member: 13995Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729014:date=Sep 26 2009, 08:32 PM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 26 2009, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729014"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yes that is another way to look at it.

When you got small groups running around yelling crap on the main mic... it can get annoying.

But also make the main radio hearable by the enemy also, when they are close to you. So you always have to be aware about speaking.

... they can even make the humans voice on the mic distorted so they only hear "blah blah blah" Because aliens shouldn't be able to understand humans. It would really suck if some guy hears your epic plan and the entire alien teams finds out.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The only downside I could see is some might be bothered by additional sounds (I know if I got killed because I coulden't hear a skulk creeping up on me, all cause of some guy rambling on), and of course its one more thing abusable/spammable but I rather dislike catering to people/problems that are banable.. :X
  • CrispixCrispix Join Date: 2007-01-10 Member: 59543Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Gold, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    The only way to make it do-able is if they use what BF2/Project Reality did with squads, but only implemented this feature for Marines (unless Aliens will have a squad/swarm type of deal as well which I doubt, but you never know). Basically in a squad everyone can talk to each other in the squad, but the squad leader can also talk directly to the commander. And since there are multiple commanders, they can talk to each other as well on their own channel, but I really really really think this idea is not so great. It wouldnt be suitable for the type of team gameplay NS really is. Mic channels would become confusing, annoying, and everyone would be clueless who you're talking to, unless they implement the GUI really well for mic channels. But again, it's too much time and effort for something like this. I vote on a team as a whole communicating to each other just like how NS currently is. It also allows for humerous moments to share with the entire team.
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729015:date=Sep 26 2009, 08:37 PM:name=Ashkajioni)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ashkajioni @ Sep 26 2009, 08:37 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729015"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only downside I could see is some might be bothered by additional sounds (I know if I got killed because I coulden't hear a skulk creeping up on me, all cause of some guy rambling on), and of course its one more thing abusable/spammable but I rather dislike catering to people/problems that are banable.. :X<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Well nothing is perfect.
    Idk.. maybe a mute option? So you don't have to hear them?

<!--quoteo(post=1729018:date=Sep 26 2009, 08:45 PM:name=Crispix)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Crispix @ Sep 26 2009, 08:45 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729018"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The only way to make it do-able is if they use what BF2/Project Reality did with squads, but only implemented this feature for Marines (unless Aliens will have a squad/swarm type of deal as well which I doubt, but you never know). Basically in a squad everyone can talk to each other in the squad, but the squad leader can also talk directly to the commander. And since there are multiple commanders, they can talk to each other as well on their own channel, but I really really really think this idea is not so great. It wouldnt be suitable for the type of team gameplay NS really is. Mic channels would become confusing, annoying, and everyone would be clueless who you're talking to, unless they implement the GUI really well for mic channels. But again, it's too much time and effort for something like this. I vote on a team as a whole communicating to each other just like how NS currently is. It also allows for humerous moments to share with the entire team.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

That is a great idea, and it has been done in MANY MANY games.

But even in a realism lovers game called "arma 2" It just doesn't work out. It is good on paper.... or text, but ingame it just doesn't work.

Because people go their own ways and they don't want to listen to a SQL... different reasons.

The reason why this way (The RNL way) is better is because you can just meet up w/ a group of guys and be able to talk to them instantly. No need to make squads and all that other stuff... you just talk and plan... and when you die, you just follow a few other people and go.

examples:

marine 1: I'm going to kill the hive! Who wants to come?

Marine 2,3,4 and 5: We do!

1: OK, lets go!

*Epic stuff happens.*

Oh and one more thing: Make the people who are speaking in team radio like glow blue or something... and the ones that are speaking in local glow in yellow.
    Something like that, because it is a pain when u are going around and one of your squad guys says something.. but you have no idea who it was. Like in RNL this was a problem.

It would just make things much easier.
  • SirotSirot Join Date: 2006-12-03 Member: 58851Members
    I am a fan of having localized voice chat in addition to team-wide chat.
  • ShadowedEclipseShadowedEclipse Join Date: 2007-08-15 Member: 61886Members
    I don't think I would like the idea of having a voice chat that is localized around the marine that's speaking to his teammates. It seems like it would end up being more of a pain in the behind then it would be worth. Also the marines have there helmets and the whole virtual visor thing going for them now, I don't really feel it would make much sense to suddenly (after Ns1) not be able to speak to the whole team. You could find a lore reason to explain it (the popular excuse being DI) but why bother?

However, there is one form of localized voice chat I would like to see and that is having the aliens be able to hear anything said by the marines within a small range around any marine speaking over voice chat. It makes sense, since a marine speaking into a headset is still speaking aloud, and I think it would add an interesting mechanic to game play.
    You could spy on marines instead of attacking immediately and hope that the marines actually say something useful, even sneak up on the com chair and try and listen in on the commander. This in return allows the marines the opportunity to try and feed misinformation to the aliens, should they suspect someone is listening in. It could even add a more tense environment to trekking through alien territory since you will want to cut down on the random chatter so as to not give away your exact position any more then you need to.
    To prevent the marines from simply typing everything to keep quiet and making the mechanic a waste, perhaps the aliens could also see any typed messages within the same range, appearing in the chat window as something along the lines of "Marine: Insert message here" using literally just the word marine instead of a name and in a different color text perhaps.

I guess you could work it the other way around with marines hearing aliens as well but I always kinda imagined the aliens as more of a collective intelligence, with the whole hive mind thing, so they don't speak in any real form. That's kinda of a lore thing though so it could go both ways for balance.
  • TekoppenTekoppen Join Date: 2008-02-05 Member: 63584Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester
    Do we even know that there will be a voice chat?
  • GDWhiteGDWhite Join Date: 2009-07-17 Member: 68170Members
    Battlefield 2 had Squad chat and, if you were a squad leader, Commander chat.
    Similar, but location based. I like it.
    Typing would be a slower way to chat, but would be same-old. Type to everyone, or type to team.
    Voice chat to everyone (local), or team chat.

I would like to see this happen. At least later on. A working game> Features that can be added whenever the hell.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1729069:date=Sep 27 2009, 11:00 AM:name=Tekoppen)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tekoppen @ Sep 27 2009, 11:00 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729069"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do we even know that there will be a voice chat?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'd call it a healthy assumption. Almost every modern game has it and NS makes a lot more use of it than most games.
    Voice chat is a feature worth delaying the game to implement.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1729083:date=Sep 27 2009, 03:13 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 27 2009, 03:13 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729083"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Voice chat is a feature worth delaying the game to implement.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Indeed. I just hope there is no reason for players to employ external tools...
    As I wonder about this, why the hell do people still use Teamspeak on Source (TF2) servers?
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729092:date=Sep 27 2009, 10:32 AM:name=RobB)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RobB @ Sep 27 2009, 10:32 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729092"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Indeed. I just hope there is no reason for players to employ external tools...
    As I wonder about this, why the hell do people still use Teamspeak on Source (TF2) servers?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I really don't know that one, but it really stinks.

<!--quoteo(post=1729043:date=Sep 26 2009, 11:36 PM:name=ShadowedEclipse)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ShadowedEclipse @ Sep 26 2009, 11:36 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729043"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I don't think I would like the idea of having a voice chat that is localized around the marine that's speaking to his teammates. It seems like it would end up being more of a pain in the behind then it would be worth. Also the marines have there helmets and the whole virtual visor thing going for them now, I don't really feel it would make much sense to suddenly (after Ns1) not be able to speak to the whole team. You could find a lore reason to explain it (the popular excuse being DI) but why bother?

However, there is one form of localized voice chat I would like to see and that is having the aliens be able to hear anything said by the marines within a small range around any marine speaking over voice chat. It makes sense, since a marine speaking into a headset is still speaking aloud, and I think it would add an interesting mechanic to game play.
    You could spy on marines instead of attacking immediately and hope that the marines actually say something useful, even sneak up on the com chair and try and listen in on the commander. This in return allows the marines the opportunity to try and feed misinformation to the aliens, should they suspect someone is listening in. It could even add a more tense environment to trekking through alien territory since you will want to cut down on the random chatter so as to not give away your exact position any more then you need to.
    To prevent the marines from simply typing everything to keep quiet and making the mechanic a waste, perhaps the aliens could also see any typed messages within the same range, appearing in the chat window as something along the lines of "Marine: Insert message here" using literally just the word marine instead of a name and in a different color text perhaps.

I guess you could work it the other way around with marines hearing aliens as well but I always kinda imagined the aliens as more of a collective intelligence, with the whole hive mind thing, so they don't speak in any real form. That's kinda of a lore thing though so it could go both ways for balance.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Read the updated original post, and yeah we are kinda debating whether the aliens should be able to understand human or just hear "blah blah blah" instead.

Edit:

But seriously you guys & Devs.. If you make a good voice chat system.. Then people wouldn't go and use the scourge called ventrillo and teamspeak. (YUK) And please take the localized voice chat/Text chat into consideration, keep in mind that the first posts that disagreed with the idea was when it was suggested to be the only form of communication, but when it was changed to have localized and team chat the majority of the posters agreed.
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    If the alien can hear humans in their vicinity the "bla bla bla" issue could simply be resolved by an upgrade that the Alien com can make which allows aliens to understand human language (or heard them in the correct frequency, etc). Otherwise allows aliens to always understand human chat.

*Hearing upgrades could be an interesting new angle to take replacing scent of fear. Making humans near you appear on hive-sight depending on how loud and close they are to you (talking also counts).

I like the idea of some sort of localized chat. However I'll reserve suggestions on the implementation until I know more about how the chest light network connection thing works. I saw a lot of people suggesting marines are able to lose network connection so if something like that happens then only those near will be able to hear you talk.. or scream ;)

Also I don't know how the new squad system is going to work so that's something to be taken into account.

Guessing alien are psychic so humans will never heard the alien vchat. That could make the aliens hearing the human vchat kind of imbalanced.
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729161:date=Sep 27 2009, 08:17 PM:name=NeoSniper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NeoSniper @ Sep 27 2009, 08:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729161"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If the alien can hear humans in their vicinity the "bla bla bla" issue could simply be resolved by an upgrade that the Alien com can make which allows aliens to understand human language (or heard them in the correct frequency, etc). Otherwise allows aliens to always understand human chat.

*Hearing upgrades could be an interesting new angle to take replacing scent of fear. Making humans near you appear on hive-sight depending on how loud and close they are to you (talking also counts).

I like the idea of some sort of localized chat. However I'll reserve suggestions on the implementation until I know more about how the chest light network connection thing works. I saw a lot of people suggesting marines are able to lose network connection so if something like that happens then only those near will be able to hear you talk.. or scream ;)

Also I don't know how the new squad system is going to work so that's something to be taken into account.

Guessing alien are psychic so humans will never heard the alien vchat. That could make the aliens hearing the human vchat kind of imbalanced.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

There shouldn't be a squad system. And hearing the other factions shouldn't be allowed either. It should just be there to tell you an alien or marine is around because you can hear them.

I mean how do aliens just learn english by an upgrade.. ? Not having that option makes it get rid of the balancing problem.

So marines hear "squeek squeek" or what ever sound aliens make..

and aliens hear some weird nose that sounds like human speech... but is distorted so it isn't understandable.

But if a guy is yelling you can tell by the pitch of the distorted voice. And if they are whispering and you are close enough you hear the distorted voice as a whisper.
  • poonzer69poonzer69 Join Date: 2009-09-27 Member: 68889Members
    wuz this idae goin to happen?

it sound cool i want to chat voice with plaeyers.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    edited September 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1729165:date=Sep 28 2009, 02:06 AM:name=-Diesel-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (-Diesel- @ Sep 28 2009, 02:06 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So marines hear "squeek squeek" or what ever sound aliens make..

and aliens hear some weird nose that sounds like human speech... but is distorted so it isn't understandable.

But if a guy is yelling you can tell by the pitch of the distorted voice. And if they are whispering and you are close enough you hear the distorted voice as a whisper.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Please don't add any sounds effects on voice chat. On one thread you're demanding more teamwork and on this one you're suggesting features that make it far more difficult.

Most people use software like ventrilo on public just for casual chat so that they won't disturb the rest of the server with irrelevant chat. For the organised play it's used mostly for sound quality purposes. In any way it isn't anything bad or malicious in itself. Of course a cool voice communication system would make public games far more controllable, so I'd definitely like to see it happening.
  • RobBRobB TUBES OF THE INTERWEB Join Date: 2003-08-11 Member: 19423Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    nah, he meant to avoid eavesdropping strategies but making it actualy noticeable that someones talking.
    <!--quoteo(post=1729365:date=Sep 28 2009, 03:10 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Sep 28 2009, 03:10 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729365"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please don't add any sounds effects on voice chat. On one thread you're demanding more teamwork and on this one you're suggesting features that make it far more difficult.

Most people use software like ventrilo on public just for casual chat so that they won't disturb the rest of the server with irrelevant chat. For the organised play it's used mostly for sound quality purposes. In any way it isn't anything bad or malicious in itself. Of course a cool voice communication system would make public games far more controllable, so I'd definitely like to see it happening.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

No you are misunderstanding me.

I am 100% for teamwork.

The Aliens should hear the Humans voices as a incoherent babble that only measures pitch when they are speaking on their local/radio voice. The reason for this is.. like i said, that aliens shouldn't be able to hear what humans say and be able to make sense out of it. That would destroy the teamwork because the aliens will always know what the human team is doing. Imagine that, aliens that understand english. Pretty stupid if you ask me.
    Or they could just...not hear them.
    <!--quoteo(post=1729415:date=Sep 28 2009, 05:44 PM:name=homicide)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (homicide @ Sep 28 2009, 05:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1729415"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Or they could just...not hear them.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Then we'd need some dumb reason... like

The aliens ears don't work the same frequency as ours do??