Development Blog Update - Infantry Portal Reveal

1235»

Comments

• Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    i dont understand..how does the phase technology exactly work? does this mean marines can just phase to wherever the squad leader is?
    if thats the case thats very unfair...its almost like a moving phase gate. How are aliens meant to stop the marines from siegeing their hive without killing every single marine in the squad. With the portable siege cannon that can move around, marines can just travel around the map destroying hive after hive with constant reinforcements.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    See size of structures is already effecting game play and we havent even hit beta yet, when people are throwing sentences like, oh the panel is on the back, what if this spawns against a wall, or do we have a rotate structure facing so I can access my panel easier.

additionally id like to point out wasn't the onos meant to be able to flip certain structures, I guess all the ones we have seen so far arnt any of them?

e.g res tower, ip, armory, mobile seige - this thing has the wheel base of a old landrover

*puts on his best whinge fan boi voice

valid points i make but how i do them is a mock and in jest
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    ^^ I think I read somewhere that the comm can rotate buildings when he drops them. So if the panel is pointing at a wall, its not a desighn flaw, its a commander oversight. EJECT!!
  • StinkyStinky Join Date: 2007-12-16 Member: 63182Members
    Baby, oh baby, I could spawn in that thing all night long. Excellent work.
  • CoolCookieCooksCoolCookieCooks Pretty Girl Join Date: 2003-05-18 Member: 16446Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation
    Judging by how you can use the armory from any direction, im guessing you can probably use the 'panel' on the IP from all sides too.
  • lillbrorsanlillbrorsan Join Date: 2003-08-21 Member: 20060Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    I think the Armory looks better then the IP but good work nonetheless.
  • c0kec0ke Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29676Members
    the gorge is awesome:D
    just dont get why the plates on his back stand up when he "defends". this just gives more space to attack and does not makes sens in case of defence
  • ValcienValcien Join Date: 2007-07-22 Member: 61650Members
    Hmm. I was really hoping for a giant infantry portal. I think it should be huge, to represent the distance it is teleporting marines across space. Upgrade it to respawn faster rather that build more (since it takes up so much room).

I love how alive and plantlike... or maybe instectoid it looks. It seems to have an eye focused on what it's doing.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724380:date=Aug 21 2009, 02:12 PM:name=Valcien)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Valcien @ Aug 21 2009, 02:12 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Hmm. I was really hoping for a giant infantry portal. I think it should be huge, to represent the distance it is teleporting marines across space. Upgrade it to respawn faster rather that build more (since it takes up so much room).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it would be better to pull a C&C (as well as other RTS'). In C&C (Red Alert 2 and below I believe, the modern versions don't really have a need for this anyways) the "production" structures had their build times increased with every additional same type of production structure. So a Barracks would pump out Infantry faster if you had more than one Barracks on the map. Likewise for vehicle factories and naval yards. This effect would only work for up to two additional structures of the same type, I believe, so if you built any more Barracks after you've built 3 on the map, the build-speed won't increase.

For the Infantry portals, I would say a similar system could be devised where every additional IP will increase the respawn speed slightly, but with a cap on say, 2 extra IPs.
  • xmainexmaine Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68409Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723540:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:52 AM:name=xposed-)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xposed- @ Aug 19 2009, 01:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723540"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So even in theory, when matter transporters become a reality, the matter is not transported at all... it is destroyed in location A and simply re-created from scratch in location B. Therefore, when humans are transported, they are killed and a copy of that person is created at a different location. I'll stick with my car.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    matter cannot be created or destroyed

fail
  • homicidehomicide Join Date: 2003-11-10 Member: 22451Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724861:date=Aug 24 2009, 11:59 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Aug 24 2009, 11:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->matter cannot be created or destroyed

fail<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

nuclear bombs

fail
  • BadMouthBadMouth It ceases to be exclusive when you can have a custom member titl Join Date: 2004-05-21 Member: 28815Members
    Actually, matter can't be destroyed. At best, they get changed from solid to gas in a second by e.g. nuclear bomb. But the original mass still exists, just very spread out.
  • JAmazonJAmazon Join Date: 2009-02-21 Member: 66503Members
    edited August 2009
    ^^ Actually if you summed up the mass of the uranium in a nuclear bomb before detonation and compared it to the mass of the constituents that it broke apart into during the fission process you'd find that you were missing some mass. It was converted directly into energy by Einstein's mass-energy relation. Its more correct to say that mass and energy are conserved. Saying that mass and energy can neither be created nor destroyed is kind of weird as they are theoretically interchangeable.
  • lazylazy Join Date: 2005-07-23 Member: 56631Members
    you mean Einstein maybe
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1724861:date=Aug 25 2009, 09:59 AM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Aug 25 2009, 09:59 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->matter cannot be created or destroyed

Perhaps it would've been more accurate to say the OBJECT was destroyed&copied.
  • Sumo-SoldierSumo-Soldier Join Date: 2009-07-24 Member: 68249Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1724861:date=Aug 25 2009, 05:59 PM:name=xmaine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (xmaine @ Aug 25 2009, 05:59 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1724861"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->matter cannot be created or destroyed

matter is being destroyed and turned into energy. the energy is used to create the copy. e= mc2