Development Blog Update - Infantry Portal Reveal

Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
Please post comments on the topic Development Blog Update - Infantry Portal Reveal here

Comments

• Mr. EpicMr. Epic Join Date: 2003-08-01 Member: 18660Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    Awesome! I have a concern though... I like the animation and all, but I am concerned about there being no collision and thus there will be clipping all over... Will there be collision, or will people have to wait for the cooldown before leaving it? And its very big! Cool!
  • kuperayekuperaye Join Date: 2003-03-14 Member: 14519Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    lookin good! But I think you guys should stop trying to explain how stuff works. You seem to love 3D printing o.O
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    omg electric toothbrush? devs ruining game want refund
  • HebachebaHebacheba Join Date: 2009-06-19 Member: 67872Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723496:date=Aug 18 2009, 04:05 PM:name=aeroripper)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (aeroripper @ Aug 18 2009, 04:05 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723496"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->omg electric toothbrush? devs ruining game want refund<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I don't know, I think it will be a nice gameplay addition. It'll be fun to brush a skulk's teeth to death.
  • SgtPrinnySgtPrinny Join Date: 2009-08-18 Member: 68526Members
    so is the advanced IP going to..um...phase out the original phase gate?
  • daidalosdaidalos Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28854Members, Constellation
    Uh, uh!
    Can we use the toothbruh on Gorges to disable their webbing-function for a limited amount of time?

The infantry portal looks pretty sweet. Kind of big. I like it. :)
  • PhlashPhlash Join Date: 2008-02-18 Member: 63674Members, Constellation
    NS2s art is going in the right direction. NS1 structures were cool but were basically just toys dropped onto the map, the NS2 structures are freakin buildings!

Love it
  • TomgupperTomgupper Join Date: 2006-11-11 Member: 58529Members, Constellation
    The models are all looking good so far, the one thing I've noticed though is that both of the models that have been shown are quite tall now. You mentioned in the armoury update that you increased the size to "insure that it's easily noticeable by first time players".

I'm just worried that by the end we're going to end up with a forest of buildings.

Obviously it's way too early to make such a judgement, but it's just a niggling thought I'm having.

I kind of liked the fact that the old IP was small, and low to the ground, meaning that any alien that was attacking it had absolutely no semblance of cover. I shall wait and see!
  • DooGieDooGie Join Date: 2005-01-10 Member: 34531Members, Constellation
    Nice. It still mantains that greeny green of the TSA. I hope the hitbox for this one is improved it was such a mess to spawn camp an IP on NS1 :(.
  • culpritculprit Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33527Members, Constellation
    Now that is a nice portal. I am enjoy seeing the new scale of NS2. Everything seems to be larger as well as more imposing. I'm hoping this upscale enhances the intense fps gameplay of NS. It seems all the nice places of NS have increased in artistic heft. It will certainly be a vision to behold the final product including all this with dynamic infestation. Yes ... please.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Wow, that looks superb. The spinning arms could solve the perpetual spawn camping issues if implemented right.

One thing though.. and it's only a small issue.. but do TSA marines really need a helpful little retractable step to help them jump into combat, guns a blazing? ;)
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    I like it, really. Don't know what else to say. Will the blue lazar show also appear ingame during spawn?
  • ArchaicArchaic Join Date: 2008-03-30 Member: 64001Members
    im worried about cover for aliens in the marine base, in NS1 you could paste a fade from anywhere in your base, everything was waist high. now everything is taller.

and now the IP is upgradable to a phase gate?
  • KiopaenKiopaen Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27170Members
    Ok, so I know I'm usually a tough critic in an attempt to keep thoughts churning, but I'm kinda stunned by this one.

Nice work. Its deployment is mechanically beautiful. I like how the functional parts aren't dainty but are still shielded from transportation damage, it's a really nice touch.

Are the arms collision objects? Will they kill an alien standing on top of it, move them away, or pass right through?

I'm curious to see how/if phase gates are implemented with a similar technology scheme. Transferring a marine to its group seems like a phase gate functionality, so perhaps we get advanced IPs instead of phase gates? If the technologies are combined, it'd honestly make a lot of sense seeing as they essentially do the same thing just for different reasons.

I'd like to add that from a physics side of things that all teleportation devices proposed so far that don't bend space (like in stargate) kill the individual and recreate a version of them elsewhere who's completely oblivious to the fact that they just came into being for the first time. Typically shows try to get around it by saying it's the same energy, but that's like saying your aluminum can is made from the same aluminum as a previous can of the same product. Though there's no way to prove that little teleportations aren't constantly happening in the universe anyway... It's a neat thought that always made star trek funnier.

Ok, I've watched that IP video too many times. Thank you. This was the wow factor that I was really hoping for.
  • Cereal_KillRCereal_KillR Join Date: 2002-10-31 Member: 1837Members
    Ah right, so how exactly do you "teleport to your squad"? Do you appear next to a squad leader? To the phase gate closest to the squad leader? Equal distance from all squad members?

Because squads are for show in NS1, and especially so on pubs. Any other special squad goodness to be expected then?
  • daidalosdaidalos Join Date: 2004-05-23 Member: 28854Members, Constellation
    edited August 2009
    <!--quoteo(post=1723512:date=Aug 19 2009, 01:55 AM:name=Cereal_KillR)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Cereal_KillR @ Aug 19 2009, 01:55 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723512"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->[...]
    I'd like to add that from a physics side of things that all teleportation devices proposed so far that don't bend space (like in stargate) kill the individual and recreate a version of them elsewhere who's completely oblivious to the fact that they just came into being for the first time. Typically shows try to get around it by saying it's the same energy, but that's like saying your aluminum can is made from the same aluminum as a previous can of the same product. Though there's no way to prove that little teleportations aren't constantly happening in the universe anyway... It's a neat thought that always made star trek funnier.
    [...]<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah but in Stargate it's not really teleportation. I don't think teleportation ever bends space although I haven't given much thought to that.

But yeah, after I just thought about it I remember hearing what they mentioned in their newspost. Only thing I'm not sure about is whether the first atom really disappears.
    And the particles would have to come from the same source of course. When the properties of one of them was to be changed the properties of the other one would be changed likewise, no matter how far away the other one is.
  • slayer20slayer20 Killed a man once. Join Date: 2007-12-13 Member: 63157Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The new IP is freaking hot.

Can't wait to spawn in that baby.
  • -Klaus--Klaus- Join Date: 2008-11-14 Member: 65447Members
    I really like the idea of the arms clipping with aliens to remove them from the device, making spawn camping harder. Although what kind of animation will there be when using the computer? Are marines going to start popping out of thin air in combat or will there be spawn points in each room, are they also going to act as 3D printers?

Really like the concept and new style but kind of lost how teleportation straight to your squad fits in with the rest of your lore, unless teleportation is different from spawning?
  • BulletcatcherBulletcatcher Join Date: 2005-01-08 Member: 33823Members
    wow all of these TSA structures are huge! The marine base is going to have to be bigger to accompany the commander's needs (placing 4 IPS, 2 Labs, 1 proto, AA, and obs.
    Can't wait to see the upcoming Gorge release and the next few TSA structures. Oh and the way you are modeling these structures, I can't wait to see the alien ones! I bet it's going to look sweet!
  • DeadzoneDeadzone Join Date: 2003-07-03 Member: 17911Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks great.
    I'm not sure how you're planning to do any of the collision things with the spinning arms, but to be honest, I'm not too bothered by it. This is something that marines pop out and run away from, so the arms don't have to "feel" interactive or immersive. They can simply look cool and clip through things if need be.
    I'd like to hear how telefragging will work out. Could make some cool alien gooey bits get splattered on the arms... but that's just feature creep :P

I like how the panel in the back to rejoin your squad will function. I remember when it was first revealed that you could spawn with your squad, I was wondering what would happen with IPs. This method keeps a need for the IP itself, while encouraging players to get into squads.
  • Dalin SeivewrightDalin Seivewright 0x0000221E Join Date: 2007-10-20 Member: 62685Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->marines can instantly rejoin their squad by using the computer screen on the back, once the IP has been upgraded.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I love the model, but I'm wondering what you mean by that. At first I thought perhaps dying is similar to an older game like Spellbinder: The Nexus Conflict, or WoW, where you die you go into corporeal form (or in this case, your particles are scattered and are barely held together by your concious... or something... :| ) and to respawn you need to make it back to base. After reading it over again, it became slightly clearer: When a marine respawns, they can use the back of the infantry portal to "phase" to where their currently assigned squad is? I hope its the latter.

If the latter is the case, then the phase gate is being done away with? I 've only heard rumors.
  • KiopaenKiopaen Join Date: 2004-03-06 Member: 27170Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1723508:date=Aug 18 2009, 06:43 PM:name=puzl)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (puzl @ Aug 18 2009, 06:43 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1723508"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow, that looks superb. The spinning arms could solve the perpetual spawn camping issues if implemented right.

One thing though.. and it's only a small issue.. but do TSA marines really need a helpful little retractable step to help them jump into combat, guns a blazing? ;)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

OSHA.... in.... SPAAAACE!
  • DawormDaworm Join Date: 2009-06-22 Member: 67900Members
    Looking awesome!

However I noticed some clipping issues in the graphics when it was opening up.
    As the arm first spins around the blue lights are showing through the backing when it's folded up. But disappear as soon as it starts to open.
    Just as they past each other the outer arm clips through the inner arm.

Other than that it looks good!!!!
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    wow the animations are awesome! love the design of all of these new things :)
  • NeoSniperNeoSniper Join Date: 2005-06-02 Member: 52976Members
    Thanks for the update :)

Obvious question that perhaps should have been addressed in the Post. Do the spinning arms clip so that they offer a bit of spawn protection by forcing aliens to step back during the animation?
  • ShinobiRAGEShinobiRAGE Join Date: 2009-08-09 Member: 68401Members
    Reminds me of the portal in HL2 Red letter day chapter
  • iPandaiPanda Join Date: 2009-08-10 Member: 68417Members
    +1 For the Infantry Portal that looks sweet.
    All though it does look larger then original structures.
    Can't wait for the rest. The Proto type lab must be Huge following this basis of Bigger all round.
  • schkorpioschkorpio I can mspaint Join Date: 2003-05-23 Member: 16635Members
    its probably a bit late now, but it would be cool if all of the buildings connected together like lego, and could form this giant machine factory base thing :)
  • whocareswcwhocareswc Join Date: 2007-07-31 Member: 61735Members
    it would be cool if when the portalgot damaged that one of the 'arms' got destroyed or disabled and then respawing would take twice as long ( as there is less 'printer heads')
  • SiforSifor Join Date: 2005-04-12 Member: 48244Members, Constellation
    wow this is really cool :)

Good Job Dev Team !!!