Reserve slot system

13»

Comments

• FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Whatever helps you feel better Har.

Keep that eRage to yourself, because it is pretty blatant what you are doing. It was entertaining and all, but now it has become repetitive, and well not so entertaining.

If we could get this topic back on track that would be wonderful. Does anyone have any comments/suggestions/questions about how a potential reserve slot system would work?
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    Aww, don't be like that. You're just upset because I beat you at your own game.
  • FirewaterFirewater Balance Expert Join Date: 2002-12-12 Member: 10690Members, Constellation
    Ummm lol, as I remember it, you are the only that got beat in a post with just quotes. Man fun times.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    And your decided to revive a 5 month dead thread.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    Reviving due to more discussion about global-rankings(from the achievement thread) with hopes that the flames from earlier have died out.

I still like the idea of RSS as it's a quick, simple, and, IMO, effective implementation that doesn't rely on a whole bunch of variables like play style, K:D, timeplayed, location, etc to work.

I think the proposed label system could be better though. I think servers should be able to give themselves tags(like the current steam system), but the RSS tags should be different. With this in mind I think there should be 5 official tags: vanilla-competitive, vanilla-casual, vanilla-newbie, modded, private/locked. You could drop or replace the vanilla, but those are the proposed groups.

In this system Casual = old Open and Modded = old Casual. For the most part, Casual servers are Open and they'll accept anybody who's fun to play with. You'll probably still see some "skill-bans", but in all honestly the "skill-bans" I've seen were largely due to other factors. In contrast, modded servers are actually enforcing their own casual rules(gorge-hook, lerk-lift, self-weld, etc). Newbies should be separate because most competitive and casual players want to play games without having to explain everything and newbies will have the most fun learning the absolute basics if they are with other newbies.
  • HarimauHarimau Join Date: 2007-12-24 Member: 63250Members
    edited June 2009
    Myeh. For people that wanna build or keep their tight exclusive communities, go for it.

edit: Btw, this thread was gold. I suggest anyone who has the spare time, and is looking for a laugh, read it. Just ignore the really big posts, they're a waste of time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1712110:date=Jun 12 2009, 09:21 PM:name=locallyunscene)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (locallyunscene @ Jun 12 2009, 09:21 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712110"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Reviving due to more discussion about global-rankings(from the achievement thread) with hopes that the flames from earlier have died out.

I still like the idea of RSS as it's a quick, simple, and, IMO, effective implementation that doesn't rely on a whole bunch of variables like play style, K:D, timeplayed, location, etc to work.

I think the proposed label system could be better though. I think servers should be able to give themselves tags(like the current steam system), but the RSS tags should be different. With this in mind I think there should be 5 official tags: vanilla-competitive, vanilla-casual, vanilla-newbie, modded, private/locked. You could drop or replace the vanilla, but those are the proposed groups.

In this system Casual = old Open and Modded = old Casual. For the most part, Casual servers are Open and they'll accept anybody who's fun to play with. You'll probably still see some "skill-bans", but in all honestly the "skill-bans" I've seen were largely due to other factors. In contrast, modded servers are actually enforcing their own casual rules(gorge-hook, lerk-lift, self-weld, etc). Newbies should be separate because most competitive and casual players want to play games without having to explain everything and newbies will have the most fun learning the absolute basics if they are with other newbies.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think it would just be easier to have the 3 regular tags. I haven't found too many casual servers that rejected newbies (I don't think any exisit) because casual players are again, more process oriented players meaning they just want to have fun win or lose. Labeling a server newbie won't attract valuable community members that may be able to help newer players learn. As far as casual's not wanting to help out, all you need to do to is mute a particular player if he or she bothering you by asking questions. Remember NS is more of a community based game as opposed CS or DoD, meaning that most people who regged the game joined a particular community. Being nasty to particular potential community members does not help, especially if the person is just trying to learn.

The problem with having a modded tag is the fact that most community based servers will probably have some sort of admin plugin that would constitute a modded server label. So it would be like there are no server labels.

If you wanted however, you could make admin-selected labels such as Casual, Competitive, Open, Custom and Private.
  • locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1712165:date=Jun 13 2009, 12:09 PM:name=Firewater)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Firewater @ Jun 13 2009, 12:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1712165"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think it would just be easier to have the 3 regular tags. I haven't found too many casual servers that rejected newbies (I don't think any exisit) because casual players are again, more process oriented players meaning they just want to have fun win or lose. Labeling a server newbie won't attract valuable community members that may be able to help newer players learn. As far as casual's not wanting to help out, all you need to do to is mute a particular player if he or she bothering you by asking questions. Remember NS is more of a community based game as opposed CS or DoD, meaning that most people who regged the game joined a particular community. Being nasty to particular potential community members does not help, especially if the person is just trying to learn.

The problem with having a modded tag is the fact that most community based servers will probably have some sort of admin plugin that would constitute a modded server label. So it would be like there are no server labels.

If you wanted however, you could make admin-selected labels such as Casual, Competitive, Open, Custom and Private.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Custom is a guaranteed game mode(right now the only two are vanilla and custom).

I wouldn't have any problems with the above list, but I still think Open should be Newbie(or Beginner) for the reasons I posted above.