Advanced HUD/motion tracking

SariselSarisel .::' ( O ) ';:-. .-.:;' ( O ) '::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
<div class="IPBDescription">hopefully this was discussed before</div>Basically, the premise is that this feature would promote team-work and information transfer.

On the HUD, motion tracking shows aliens as dots. As it stands, a lot of information can be obtained from the speed that the dot is moving - you can often speculate and predict fairly well what the player is trying to do and what kind of lifeform/marine is involved. In addition, sensory chambers also give away the presence of nearby marines as red dots. However, there isn't any benefit for the HUD based on what team-mates see.

I propose (or support a previous proposition of this sort) for visible representations of what team-mates see. In other words, for example, if a team-mate sees a fade, then there would be a dot on your screen with the label fade. Even better, there would be a projected image of a fade and its distance away from you. Likewise for any other structures and players in your team-mates' field of view (with the exception of cloaked units and structures). This applies to aliens as well. Sensory chambers and team-mates should give more information than just red dots.

If this is done properly, it will not overload the HUD. It will greatly help teamwork on both sides, since there is a lot more information shared this way amongst team-members. If necessary, this enhancement of motion tracking/alien HUD could be made into an upgrade from chambers, hives, structures, etc.

Comments

• locallyunscenelocallyunscene Feeder of Trolls Join Date: 2002-12-25 Member: 11528Members, Constellation
    I can't say I'm for this idea; it's too much like hivesight. You can all ready get this information as a marine by bringing up your map, and I think that's a reasonable trade-off.
  • gamakungamakun Join Date: 2007-11-20 Member: 62971Members, Constellation
    This idea is similar to the radar system is cs:s.
  • NEX9NEX9 Join Date: 2005-03-08 Member: 44299Members
    sorry sarial I dont like this idea, it takes from certain strats. quite offtan a a onos with celarity and scent ill duck and pretend to be bounce around like a gorge in a area were a gorge may of hung about. suddenly said marine thinks he can jump me when really hes been lured into my devour range. samething with skulks gorges, and even heavys and light marines or even Jp's quite offtan i have used my walk key and stayed hidden amongst the heavy train.

as for line of sight it already does this on the mini map and map and i dont thing it needs to be enhanced further. even the kharaa cant see if its a heavy or a JP on the mini map, which i think is done for atmospheric reasons.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    Seriously, if you're bouncing around in an area as an onos pretending to be a gorge... then you've completely missed the point of being an onos. As for hiding amongst a heavy train, there is no problem as long as you are not in the line of sight of a marine. If you're cloaked, it is also not a problem. Now, if you are somehow staying hidden AMONGST a heavy train while being in their line of sight - as an onos - then there is clearly something wrong with the marine team and they need all the help they can get.

The idea is to make information more accessible to more people. The minimap is usually used to check on activities all over the map, not in the region that you are in. Since most people don't even use the minimap, I'd say that this idea would definitely improve teamwork.

It doesn't matter if it is 'like' hivesight - it IS hivesight for the aliens, but it is enhanced. Motion tracking is like hivesight. The idea is to make it better.
    Hum I think I missed a full stop in there the onos standing around a courner ducked shows a motion dot slow and low to the ground, rine jumps out to blast gorge gets devoured. full stop vanilla marine walking in a pack of heavys is simpley adding more slow moveing dots to scare off kharaa ###### that a full heavy train when clearly only 4 heavys and three vanilla's hideing in the pack, or perhaps you like being faster and run out ahead to get eaten, while the aliens chuckle as they run off knowing they just ate the only target they could of effectively.

These things are just another form of baiting and hideing in plain sight.
    Motion rings are fine the learning curve is there, your brain has to do these calculations and some times they are wrong, as apose to the giant blue fade out line zipping around on the other side of that wall with his direction his speed his heading and what ability hes doing all known all in clear view of the marine on the other side of the wall.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    Ok, so I'm assuming that you completely misread the idea then? ....

You only see the actual model when your team-mates encounter the respective enemy in their field of vision (FOV) and within a certain range. You see normal dots when there are no team-mates scouting. It simply allows for communication of what is seen without having to type or talk. The information is lost if nobody nearby saw it.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1662835:date=Dec 4 2007, 02:58 AM:name=Sarisel)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sarisel @ Dec 4 2007, 02:58 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1662835"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ok, so I'm assuming that you completely misread the idea then? ....

You only see the actual model when your team-mates encounter the respective enemy in their field of vision (FOV) and within a certain range. You see normal dots when there are no team-mates scouting. It simply allows for communication of what is seen without having to type or talk. The information is lost if nobody nearby saw it.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I like this. Here is a way to consider it, possibly an upgrade to the communications software and Kharaa recognition systems that the Commander would need to invest resources and time in? I definitely like it within that context.
  • afratnikovafratnikov Join Date: 2003-08-05 Member: 18931Members
    A similar feature is already in place in NS1, and even if it were incorporated the way you describe, it would only rarely be useful. Aliens are encouraged to hide, because if marines see them, they can shoot at them. That is why aliens try to stay out of Field of Vision. So with this feature marines will still only see dots most of the time, the exception being when someone is in a close combat. In effect the difference will be a change from "2 teammates are attacked by one dot - it's probably a skulk" to "2 teammates are attacked by a fade - i better go help." Similarly, no Alien will stick long enough to look at a heavy train or JP, because he will be cut down in no time.
    Using teammates' Field of Vision is already incorporated into the mini map: just pull out the map and you can see everything your teammates see. You mention that many players don't use the mini map - it's because it is a unique feature in NS and players may not even know it exists. Personally, i use the mini map all the time, and have even had concerns it might be too useful.
    I think that the current system works just fine. But since NS2 is going to be built from ground up, your approach could be an equally good or even better solution.
    Btw, I'm wondering if you imply that only dots that you already see turn into icons - so marines without MT would not benefit from teammates' spotting aliens.
    i do see what yoru getting at and as it stands now the mini map does do exsactly this, ok so two men walking down a coridor one rine walks into a room doesnt notice the skulk above the door fer say its not in his feild of view it might be he might not of jsut noticed it after al lteh skulk spent a godo amount of time setting him self up there, yet clearly the second guy in hte pack is going to see his out line and blast him. yes this arleady happns now but it requires one of hte two marines to have his map open.
    <!--quoteo(post=1662883:date=Dec 4 2007, 03:35 PM:name=CanadianWolverine)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CanadianWolverine @ Dec 4 2007, 03:35 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1662883"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I like this. Here is a way to consider it, possibly an upgrade to the communications software and Kharaa recognition systems that the Commander would need to invest resources and time in? I definitely like it within that context.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This is what I was suggesting, yes.

<!--quoteo(post=1662936:date=Dec 5 2007, 05:17 AM:name=afratnikov)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(afratnikov @ Dec 5 2007, 05:17 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1662936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A similar feature is already in place in NS1, and even if it were incorporated the way you describe, it would only rarely be useful. Aliens are encouraged to hide, because if marines see them, they can shoot at them. That is why aliens try to stay out of Field of Vision. So with this feature marines will still only see dots most of the time, the exception being when someone is in a close combat. In effect the difference will be a change from "2 teammates are attacked by one dot - it's probably a skulk" to "2 teammates are attacked by a fade - i better go help." Similarly, no Alien will stick long enough to look at a heavy train or JP, because he will be cut down in no time.
    Using teammates' Field of Vision is already incorporated into the mini map: just pull out the map and you can see everything your teammates see. You mention that many players don't use the mini map - it's because it is a unique feature in NS and players may not even know it exists. Personally, i use the mini map all the time, and have even had concerns it might be too useful.
    I think that the current system works just fine. But since NS2 is going to be built from ground up, your approach could be an equally good or even better solution.
    Btw, I'm wondering if you imply that only dots that you already see turn into icons - so marines without MT would not benefit from teammates' spotting aliens.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Maybe you might not consider it to be useful, but in reality the idea allows for many team efforts to take place - including intercepting wounded fades and gorges (these don't hide most of the time as it is in NS1), trapping an onos (these don't hide most of the time), tracking down lerks as they fly around the map, and many other combinations. I don't know how long you've been playing, but you make it sound as though all aliens do is sit in the vents or in dark corners and ambush - this isn't what happens and you probably know this. However, by the sounds of it, I don't think you are aware of just how important this kind of information can be - especially in competitive play.

Initially, I was considering the feature simply as an upgrade to MT.