Game Modes

freebirdpatfreebirdpat Join Date: 2004-04-10 Member: 27826Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
<div class="IPBDescription">How to vary gameplay</div>Imagine joining a game of NS, but at the start, there is a slight planning phase. Marines login, and are in a ship/transport/milky darkness, its time to choose commander. Commander takes control and decides how the game starts for marines.

-Rapid Deployment. first 5-10 minutes, marines spawn fast and often, death means nothing, upgrades are expensive, and marines move quicker, shoot faster. Their damage does little to structures, unless concentrated. The key word here is Mobility. Entrance spawn points across a map may be used to increase mobility, and may be changed FAIRLY often, but not TOO often.

-Fortified. First 5-10 minutes, marines are in Alamo mode, defending what little they have, they start out with 2x "res" feeding structures but what little they have is fruitful. Their "res" is collected faster, and equipment is cheaper(welders, grenades, mines) (upgraded LMGS, more ammo capacity than normal, inaccurate). Their new structures are easy to defeat at first, but as time goes on they enter a fortified mode and become stronger(not impossible to beat, cutting a link that fortifies breaks the fortification

I like the rule of 3's and I can't think of another one here. There is the aggressive, and defensive, and I think there should be another mode that is out-of-the-box, and then maybe a "normal" mode where little modifications are made.

Aliens would get a similar system, and that one is probably the most interesting to think about creating. It should focus on the strengths and weakness and the lore of the aliens.

Comments

• kingmobkingmob Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 3650Members, Constellation
    If such things could be obtained more from map design
    than from gametypes I would be more of a fan.

As it is Natural Selection had a big learning curve...to be valuable.
    Huge learning curve to be commander.
    (mostly cause units talk back, get lost, etc)

Throw in different gametypes and you have super confusion.
  • CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Join Date: 2003-02-07 Member: 13249Members
    While maybe not in the same train of thought, would a V.I.P. or Steal game be cool? Either as a side objective or the main objective, as the marines you need to go into a heavily kharaa infested territory and retrieve either a very important scientist/officer/engineer or a very important piece of information/equipment. The Kharaa would obviously be trying to prevent this at all costs.

Or are you exclusively looking for deployment options ideas?