relocating base at beginning of game

2»

Comments

• HazeHaze O RLY? Join Date: 2003-07-07 Member: 18018Members, Constellation
    Actually, the best relocation in veil is south of double and north of both sub sector and cargo. I don't remember what the name is called, but it holds no RT there. THe advantage is that both hives are a spit away and it's usually best done when your enemy is in pipeline.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1627618:date=May 18 2007, 09:29 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ May 18 2007, 09:29 PM) [snapback]1627618[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Actually, the best relocation in veil is south of double and north of both sub sector and cargo. I don't remember what the name is called, but it holds no RT there. THe advantage is that both hives are a spit away and it's usually best done when your enemy is in pipeline.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If you're talking about the hallway that's kinda between Overlook, Nano, and Cargo Hive, I think that's already covered.

And yeah, that's a pretty sweet reloc.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    I see alot of commanders doing some really bad relocations recently. Mostly relocations to a far hive.

RELOCATIONS ARE NOT ABOUT TAKING A HIVE!

A successful relocation will give your marines map control, that means making it very difficult for aliens to get up res. If you just take a hive and give up all the normal marine nodes to aliens your relocation was for naught. Hive relocations are generally bad, hives are usually worse posed to hold several res nodes because aliens can move faster then marines so having RT's close by is less important. Sure, you take the third hive, but you can't get enough res to offset the loss in resources from the early relocate, and you can't take alien RT's down, meaning GG nub hive relocaters.
  • ChurchChurch Meatshield grunt-fodder // Has pre-ordered NS2 Join Date: 2002-12-31 Member: 11646Members, Constellation
    If possibly, sometimes it's feasible to relocate to a seige location of the second hive (relocate to Cargo on Tanith for example). That way, the aliens either have to go the long way to get to the other hive, or you have a base already set up to seige the second hive should they drop it near you.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1629875:date=May 29 2007, 07:01 PM:name=Swiftspear)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swiftspear @ May 29 2007, 07:01 PM) [snapback]1629875[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->RELOCATIONS ARE NOT ABOUT TAKING A HIVE!

A successful relocation will give your marines map control, that means making it very difficult for aliens to get up res. If you just take a hive and give up all the normal marine nodes to aliens your relocation was for naught. Hive relocations are generally bad, hives are usually worse posed to hold several res nodes because aliens can move faster then marines so having RT's close by is less important. Sure, you take the third hive, but you can't get enough res to offset the loss in resources from the early relocate, and you can't take alien RT's down, meaning GG nub hive relocaters.
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

QFT. I suppose it's not 100% (nothing is), but very, very true. It's map dependent of course so I suggest referencing the list of examples per map I made on the first page. And then you have # of players involved, skill of those players, communication, tech tree routes you are taking, etc...
  • KainTSAKainTSA Join Date: 2005-05-30 Member: 52831Members, Constellation
    The thinking on a hive relocation is basically: Now all we have to do is lock and hold one hive to keep the aliens from getting hive 2 at all. The problem is, you're going to have a hell of a time holding that hive because you're not going to have res to spend on upgrades/weapons. You simply can't relocate to a hive, lock the other hive AND get good res coverage, unless the oppposing team is completely incompetent.
  • SariselSarisel .::&#39; ( O ) &#39;;:-. .-.:;&#39; ( O ) &#39;::. Join Date: 2003-07-30 Member: 18557Members, Constellation
    If you relocate to the central alien hive or, if the aliens have the central hive and you can get your marines to be aggressive enough with a flanking hive relocation, then you can easily get the res for tech from RFK. The key is pressure - it keeps the aliens off of your res nodes and instead concentrating their walker skulks into lmg fire. And it is true, you aren't supposed to relocate into the hive and turtle there. The relocation needs to be minimal with some mine coverage and enough ips to get marines moving on the map so that you can actually take advantage of your position on the map.

Every comm needs to be aware that things go wrong more often than not with relocations in an average pub. If you have a good stack of players, then relocations are fun to do. However, if it is the usual - a bunch of turds on both sides - then you are setting yourself up for a headache and it's better to just do the traditional tech-to-heavy method.
  • AliteAlite Join Date: 2007-03-02 Member: 60188Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    bah, i decided to stop comming and start doing normal rine stuff and gettin my skills to a better lvl, cuz im not that good.

but all these comments r appreciated.

TY
  • 1-800-CAL-SKILL1-800-CAL-SKILL Join Date: 2007-06-21 Member: 61326Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1631176:date=Jun 4 2007, 04:55 PM:name=KainTSA)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KainTSA @ Jun 4 2007, 04:55 PM) [snapback]1631176[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->unless the oppposing team is completely incompetent.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    When are they not in public games?