Can't we slow things down?

1235»

Comments

• the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    You could compensate by adjusting the res tick rate you know. And for those worried that it means no comebacks (which RFK removal really doesn't necessarily do that), you could create a default of like one resource point every 10 seconds if # RTs = 0

Personally I'd like to see RFK go to all the classes EXCEPT the following: marine, commander, gorge. In otherwords, remove RFK for marines and gorges, and give them a unique model based solely on RTs. That has been my stance on RFK back to version 2.01...
  • MrBenMrBen ns_eclipse, ns_veil caretaker Join Date: 2002-11-14 Member: 8575Members
    I absolutely assure you that you can't remove RFK for marines without reworking a plethora of other things; it's absolutely essential, marines would never be able to compete in the field and tech at an adequate speed. An adrenaline lerk would basically bankrupt you or spore your marines to death.
  • the_x5the_x5 the Xzianthian Join Date: 2004-03-02 Member: 27041Members, Constellation
    Oh come on. That's just changing varible's values and playtesting. You shouldn't have to add new code.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1614976:date=Mar 16 2007, 04:59 PM:name=Haze)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Haze @ Mar 16 2007, 04:59 PM) [snapback]1614976[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I know, I'm another jaded 1.04 player. I probably always will be, because I never witnessed the biggest flaw within 1.04's build - jetpack/HMG rush, because I played on readyroom, where there was a 'ban' on jp/hmg rushing and the jetpacks were nerfed.

Anyways.

I think that in its current version, NS for me is only merely fun. By the time the game starts, and I begin wandering around a map, building two RTs, the game is already over. I don't even get to see the rest of the map: its incredibly fast.

I also realize that Flayra's vision of the game is as close as it will get with the tools he currently holds with a half life mod, and that it would differ from my own - he specifically said, when the changes to 2.0 were made, that he wanted a faster game. He didn't want games to last for four hours, he wanted them to last for fifteen minutes.

If I could only make one suggestion, it would be this: Let us have a 'slow' mode. I don't know how it would be achieved. Make things more expensive, slow the res flow, do *something*, but let the game take four hours again. I honestly believe thats what gave it the best feel for me, was being able to actually witness changes being made to the area I play in. Oh, they have one hive now, oh, two now, different lifeforms are coming available and we're probably going to get boned pretty soon. It was just those distinct <b>shifts</b> you felt in gameplay, or the fact that you could wander around and actually feel like territory was yours, it would shift hands.

I know this is a rambling, but my one guess, if I could make it, is that I'm not the only 1.04 jaded player here. I'm not the only person who enjoyed the long, drawn out games with slow but very distinct changes made throughout that were noticeable. Every NS game I play right now feels like bleh - theres so much happening and its happening so fast, that its all one identical blur one after the other.

Why can't the game take an hour to play? Why can't the game feel different and feel as though you're actually working with strategy towards a goal (I realize this is probably a personal perspective, so... you can disregard that question ;p)? Why is a side not allowed to recover after a mistake? All I see is that once the marines get to a certain tech point, and if they're not getting bullied into a corner, they'll win. Why can't the aliens fight back? Why is it that if the marines tech to heavy armor/jetpacks, but then lose all of their equipment in one attack, they typically lose if a rush follows soon after, unable to recover from their mistake? Where was the back and fourth slugging war I used to look forward to, but now I play one game where its just who can get their haymaker punch in first.

This is just a rambling. It certainly is. I just have one more question:

Can we PLEASE have just ONE topic that doesnt turn into a complete flame war where we discuss 1.04 vs current versions? Why is that so hard to obtain? Doesn't anyone think that, as jaded and stupid and forgetful as those who enjoyed 1.04 might be, that they have one piece of information that isn't forgotten, that isn't flawed and that actually could be enjoyed by current players? Isn't this a valuable piece of feedback for developers, especially on the footsteps of NS2's creation?

So don't bite eachothers heads off. I apologize for a stupidly long post, but, just.. talk. And don't flame. ><;
    <!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I'm also a 1.04 player. I barely play the current NS anymore for more than a few days. I've played every version released. It's too fast-paced, which leads to a lack of communication, since you barely have time to stop and type anything before it's practically game over. The same happened to DoD at version 1.0. It went fast-paced and became an inferior game for the CS crowd, which is what NS currently is.

I remember sneaking behind enemy lines as a marine and taking my time over it, then getting a TF and winning the entire match for the team.

I remember piling rows of OC's to secure off hives and having a skulk protecting me, but nowadays it's a waste of res when you might aswell just go Onos and rush them. And by the time you finish building 4/5 the game's probably already been decided.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1621507:date=Apr 17 2007, 05:11 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stardog @ Apr 17 2007, 05:11 PM) [snapback]1621507[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I'm also a 1.04 player. I barely play the current NS anymore for more than a few days. I've played every version released. It's too fast-paced, which leads to a lack of communication, since you barely have time to stop and type anything before it's practically game over. The same happened to DoD at version 1.0. It went fast-paced and became an inferior game for the CS crowd, which is what NS currently is.

I remember sneaking behind enemy lines as a marine and taking my time over it, then getting a TF and winning the entire match for the team.

I remember piling rows of OC's to secure off hives and having a skulk protecting me, but nowadays it's a waste of res when you might aswell just go Onos and rush them. And by the time you finish building 4/5 the game's probably already been decided.

It's great if you can get the hang of it. The fun of it is that the speed puts more pressure to all skills, including teamwork and tactical creativity.
  • StardogStardog Join Date: 2004-10-25 Member: 32448Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1621515:date=Apr 17 2007, 12:54 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bacillus @ Apr 17 2007, 12:54 PM) [snapback]1621515[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    It's great if you can get the hang of it. The fun of it is that the speed puts more pressure to all skills, including teamwork and tactical creativity.
    I have the hang of it, and it's not fun.
  • Splinter_SteveSplinter_Steve Join Date: 2005-03-20 Member: 45881Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1621526:date=Apr 17 2007, 04:12 PM:name=Stardog)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Stardog @ Apr 17 2007, 04:12 PM) [snapback]1621526[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    I have the hang of it, and it's not fun.

Piling rows of oc's used to be fun!
  • DuoGodOfDeathDuoGodOfDeath Join Date: 2002-08-01 Member: 1044Members
    So was doing a HA welder rush too!
  • SpaceJesusSpaceJesus Join Date: 2004-07-02 Member: 29683Banned
    HA welder rushes were sooooo goddam fun.
  • ChocolateChocolate The Team Mascot Join Date: 2006-10-31 Member: 58123Members
    Derailing topic:
    I wish we could use welders as weapons again... I've never done it but i heard it was a crazy weapon at the time.
    <!--quoteo(post=1621565:date=Apr 17 2007, 07:19 PM:name=Chocolate)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Chocolate @ Apr 17 2007, 07:19 PM) [snapback]1621565[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    Derailing topic:
    I wish we could use welders as weapons again... I've never done it but i heard it was a crazy weapon at the time.
    aka. NS2 Flamethrower?
  • NyRoNiCNyRoNiC Join Date: 2005-01-07 Member: 33246Members
    yeah I'll have to agree with OP, I first started playing NS in 2.0

Never have I had so much fun with a 3rd party mod, I really enjoyed the hour+ long games with the many power shifts and all.

But once regular NS got sped up as much as it did the game just wasn't what originally attracted me anymore, and I eventually got bored with the game.

And then to top it off WoW came out and the game lost more players.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Join Date: 2004-06-23 Member: 29481Members, Constellation
    HEY GUYS ITS THEORYCRAFT TIME.
  • SwiftspearSwiftspear Custim tital Join Date: 2003-10-29 Member: 22097Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1623519:date=Apr 27 2007, 08:02 PM:name=Iconoclast)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Iconoclast @ Apr 27 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]1623519[/snapback]</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
    HEY GUYS ITS THEORYCRAFT TIME.
    /me CASTS BABBLERS LEVEL TRHEE!
  • digzdigz be still, maggot Join Date: 2002-05-07 Member: 588Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This thread has degraded, derailed, and the topic has had its chance. When we start arguing about credentials it's time to move on.
This discussion has been closed.