This games unplayable

sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
edited October 2016 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
As you know many of us has been experiencing, framing droppings, crashes, or the game simply doesn't play, because of the game engine change.

As for me, I can't play Subnautica anymore, cause of the engine switch. I don't know why, I have a high end computer, and I always played on high quality graphics.

It is really annoying, I played this game since the base update and I have never had a problem like this. now it is impossible to even play the early access.

I've reinstalled and uninstalls several time, but I can't get the game to get past the black screen and title music.

I love this game and its saddens me I can't play it anymore.

Can you guys give me any advice.

And if you've been suffering from these problem could you tell me your stories please

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Is this on a new save, or your old save from before the update?

You should make a new save (don't have to delete the old one) just to be sure it's not the old save data being incompatible. If the new save has those issues, zip up the debug folders into one zip and post it here.

Quick guide on that below:
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

Read this:
    LumpN wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Subnautica is currently in Early Access and as such you may from time to time encounter bugs and in the worst case, crashes. If you have issues with stability of Subnautica, please see How to report Crashes.

If your issue is not crashing but has something to with with save/load then please continue reading. Examples of save/load bugs are:
    • Items missing from your inventory or storage containers
    • Items becoming other items
    • Submarines or bases missing
    • Status changes (energy, health, etc.)
    • Other stuff not coming up exactly like you left it

If you experience a bug like the above please make sure to send a report just like the crash report but in addition to that please send your save game directory. Do the following:

Follow the guide on Steam to locate the Subnautica folder. Then navigate to SNAppData:

eLLXouz.png

Go into the SavedGames subdirectory. Copy the "test" directory to something like "test2". Delete the "CompiledOctreesCache" folder inside. Afterwards zip the "test2" folder and send it to me or create a new thread in this forum and attach the file.

Thanks for helping us out!

And read this:
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Subnautica is currently in Early Access and as such you may from time to time encounter bugs and in the worst case, crashes. If you have issues with stability of Subnautica, please post your issues with as much detail as possible (video/screenshots/descriptions), followed by the following requested information:

Example Topic Title:
    [Crash] Open my Locker and Crash! [Version Number]

1) Please run dxdiag.exe (search windows for it) on your systems and hit the button 'save all information' in the bottom right. Save this file for later.

LHmLsSd.png

2) Navigate to your Subnautica Folder in Steam (should be steamapps\common\Subnautica)

3) Open the Subnautica_Data folder and grab a copy of 'output_log.txt'

PJAwuF0.png

4) Upload all the text of these to something like http://pastebin.com/ and post the public links to them with your forum posts.

These 2 files will GREATLY help us in tracking down issues with Subnautica. Thanks!

Crashing launching or playing Subnautica? Follow these steps to make a good tech support post!

Edit by Jonas:
    We've also got a very similar guide with pictures for each step on Steam.
    And as in every good tech support:
    • Please make sure that your Windows is up to date.
    • Please make sure that your drivers are up to date.
    • Please make sure your PC meets the minimum system requirements.
    • Please close all other applications before starting the game.
    • Have you tried turning it off and on again? ;)
  • AzirphaeliAzirphaeli USA Join Date: 2016-05-20 Member: 217144Members
    This sucks, I was really digging this update and it was working flawlessly for the first day or so I was playing...

now, today, it's crashed constantly. I can play it for two, maybe three minutes then it'll lock up once for about a minute then immediately crash after it unfreezes.

Zip of the crashes: http://ztcenter.net/Crashes.zip
    edited October 2016
    Unsure if the devs will see that, might need to make a new thread, using the guidelines in the spoiler I quoted above. Or edit the OP to be that post (change the title to include build number, state logs attached, etc).

Up to you though.
    I can't edit the op, I just compiled a buncha stuff, lol.

Perhaps I'll make a new threat.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited October 2016
    We're hearing a number of people are crashing, but getting very little info to help us.

Try our troubleshooting guide first: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448862051

If you're still having issues after that, please provide full system specs, including a DxDiag Report. http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/25236/~/how-do-i-find-my-dxdiag-file? - and upload this file for us to see.

Also once Subnautica has crashed, let us know what you were doing at the point of the crash. Do not re-launch Subnautica again just yet and send us your Log Files: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403087864

These actions will help us track down issues. Thanks.

edited October 2016
    Hey Obraxis, I just included a zip of all the crashes I've run into today, including my save, the very first crash, and the very last crash (+all in between) (I made a new thread too but since I got your attention here we can delete it)

Windows 10 64 bit
    I5 4590
    980 TI
    Oculus Rift version (though my guess is it'll crash regtardless!)

Had just build the seamoth and was scooting about when the first lockup up happened. It unfroze, but then locked up again shortly thereafter and crashed.

Now, if I play the game, I can be doing anything and it'll freeze and unfreeze. (Normally takes two to five minutes for the first freeze) and then, if I do anything (even save) afterwards it'll crash and generate the crash reports seen here:

http://ztcenter.net/Crashes.zip

(Includes save but not the octettree)

http://www.ztcenter.net/Dxdiag.txt

Here's the DXDIAG for you. I hope this helps you guys fix it, because before today it was running fantastic and I was really impressed and having a ton of fun. (Far more than previous builds, though Subnautica has always been fun for me).
  • SquidSlothSquidSloth Join Date: 2016-10-30 Member: 223487Members

Tried it. No change. Still unplayable.

The game was running great for me until the Bones update.
    Does anyone know if there is a way to revert to the previous version so I can at least play and enjoy the game?
    Are you on experimental? If not, try switching and see if a recent update has fixed this. If it works, say something so the devs can (hopefully) push the related patch to stable.
  • monthigosmonthigos Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223526Members
    I just sent five crash reports via e-mail. I made a new save this week and have played roughly 31 hours. :D It seems to crash a lot travelling to different areas in the Cyclops - maybe my save is too 'mature' and has too much going on now?
  • SidchickenSidchicken Plumbing the subnautican depths Join Date: 2016-02-16 Member: 213125Members
    monthigos wrote: »
    maybe my save is too 'mature' and has too much going on now?

@monthigos could be? After installing the Bones update, I got a lot of long pauses, especially while moving at high speed in the seamoth. Wasn't until last night (by this point I had a moth, prawn, clops, and a decent sized seabase with 2 moonpools) that it started actually crashing.

Yeah I've been wondering if over time there is a lot of accumulated data that is getting to be too much for the engine to handle. I know of one game that crashes if you have too many items in your inventory. Does Subnautica have that problem? I've seen a fair share of stuck reefbacks, and I swear there is a lot more sand sharks and stalkers in the shallows then when I started. Are new creatures being constantly spawned in? Is there an overall cap to how many creatures can be loaded at once? Does it keep track of all of them even when they are not visible? I wonder if there are things that get stuck in improbable positions causing a ton of physic updates / calculations that bog down the engine. This is mostly all speculation, since I don't really know how the game handles these kinds of issues.
  • tovtov Join Date: 2016-10-07 Member: 222929Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    We're hearing a number of people are crashing, but getting very little info to help us.

Try our troubleshooting guide first: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=448862051

If you're still having issues after that, please provide full system specs, including a DxDiag Report. http://help.bethesda.net/app/answers/detail/a_id/25236/~/how-do-i-find-my-dxdiag-file? - and upload this file for us to see.

Also once Subnautica has crashed, let us know what you were doing at the point of the crash. Do not re-launch Subnautica again just yet and send us your Log Files: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=403087864

These actions will help us track down issues. Thanks.

As for me, I can't play Subnautica anymore,
    I have uninstall and reinstall 2 times, used all your recommandations about crash, post dx diag and output...
    try all the player's recommandation post, thanks to them, they are more usefull than the creator of the game,

and no help from you... the new update don't change nothing, the game crash before menu...

Today, I have the same time in the game and on the technicals supports forums... and I can't play

last time for me an Alpha game from your company...

Great job...

thank you
  • TyrOdinSonTyrOdinSon Poland Join Date: 2016-10-31 Member: 223534Members
    Yeah i got same problem i got 970gtx + ssd as well and graphics change didnt help at all.
    The game even started crashing lately when the poping occurs... so it makes the game unplayable for me .
    And already posted dxdiag etc in the bug thread. Pls fix it fast...
  • DC_DarklingDC_Darkling Join Date: 2003-07-10 Member: 18068Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver
    Ok first of all..
    Lets all calm down? Its a ALPHA/PREALPHA game. Im amazed it usually runs this well as is.
    Whats with folk these days to expect that games in beta, let alone alpha, run superb?

Ive also mailed them a bunch of info. In-between the ocean of crashes, im actually trying to see what I can find out. :)
    Im unconvinced its 'stuff in savegame'. Entering a room I can crash in from a different angle produces no crash, even though everything is in view (or not) even if you spin around.
    Well I'm calm so don't lump me in the group of people who aren't. Also using "It's in Alpha" as a shield seems a bit a moot when: a) it's a paid alpha and b) it's hitching so frequently that the game is beginning to feel somewhat unplayable, and by that extension, untestable. I'm trying to do everything at my end to ensure that it's not my problem and at the same time I'd like to submit my reports in hopes that these current performance issues can be addressed. I'll counter your anecdote with my own: my save game that I started this week that's pushing 1.5 days (36 hours) worth of play time is getting progressively worse, performance wise. I think I've alleviate the crashing by deleting the cache folders as suggested in another thread, but only that.

I mean I'd like to play, and provide feedback for the betterment of the game, but at this point I might have to put it down for a few months because there's only so much intermittent gameplay I can take at a time. Performance issues are notoriously difficult to pin down and as a developer myself I always appreciate insight on a problem that I'd like to nail down even it's not on the schedule for the current sprint (or development cycle).
    Yeah I'm not upset.. I'm just trying to help.
    Possible fix over here ->
    I've experienced the mentioned recent crashes and stutter since the latest update as well, even with a fresh new game, latest drivers, 16 GB RAM, i7, GTX970 etc etc.

It seems to me, the persistent state of the world get glitched over time and what helped me so far, is to clear the world state.
    It resets the flora, fauna, resources and so on, however you keep all your items, base, ships.

To do so, backup your savegame folder and then delete "CellsCache" and "CompiledOctreesCache" folders in your savegame slot folder.
    It entirley removes the stutter and crashes from my game until the world state get corrupted or whatever.

Hope the current crashes are just a minor issue for the devs and get fixed quickly.

• jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Obraxis I love you guys, you know that. This game has provided me a lot of relief. But performance has been getting abysmally worse with each update, and that is no exaggeration. For example read through this if you haven't: http://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/145902/did-performance-i-pray-get-any-better-with-this-update#latest

If you start a new game you won't notice. It's not until you have a medium-large size base, a seamoth, and a bunch of lockers. Make a Prawn the go to certain areas (like North of initial start) and you're looking at something worse than slideshow. At least a slideshow has consistent frame rate, just super low. But in many areas this ping-pongs between 20fps to 5 fps. I think we're all concerned because the development path was to do your optimization passes just before launch and many of us feel it needs to be addressed right now because the game is nearly unplayable in many, many places. Without us playing to bugfix for you (with story/item progressed game saves) you're looking at a potential (and disastrous) sea of negativity in Steam reviews right before launch. That will really hurt sales.

I see an issue with you're asking for only part of the save directory. There is a post about deleting cache for the game and letting it rebuild which has helped some people. Well, if we only send you the savefile then you're not experiencing what we are - since you don't have this massive cache system impinging on you. Additionally it kind of feels like you've only requested "crashes" per-say (above) and not "terrible performance situations" for savefiles. We need more guidance from you on what you will actually take the time to look at, that it will indeed be relevant (clipped savefile not so much for performance issues) - as I would be happy to upload my entire 1 Gig savefile for you to test.
    edited November 2016
    The cache folders are CellsCache and CompiledOctreesCache.

If you use 7-zip and compress the entire saved game folder, it won't take up as much space.

For example, mine, (slot0000) which was recently cache wiped, so it's small, clocks in at 300 MB, whereas before it was about 1.52GB -- 7-zip takes the 300MB down to 56MB, and the 1.52GB down to 300MB - the size of the uncompressed, cachewiped save folder.

Point being, you can compress your saved game slot000x folder before uploading so it won't take 12 hours to upload, hope that saves someone some time.

Another issue could be that the devs are trying to find an issue that won't present itself if you're just exploring and not actually 'using' the landscape -- your cache files stay the same if you're not harvesting from the land, so to speak -- as I noticed all loot from wrecks, and all mushrooms, limestone deposits, table coral etc was all returned to out-of-the-box conditions on wiping the cache. So a dev taking a save file, or making a new one and just using console to get resources to quickly build inventory and explore as much as possible to reproduce a late-game state, won't run into the oversized cache issue.

Obraxis is probably over here rolling his eyes because he's already aware of all of this, but I thought I'd clarify jpinard's post just in case it wasn't crystal as quartz. ;)

And I also agree, this is an awesome game. I'm not really into survival type games usually and this one immediately hooked me. Great job guys.
  • jpinardjpinard Join Date: 2016-09-17 Member: 222373Members
    Excellent refinement 0x6A7232
  • ivanrocaivanroca Madrid Join Date: 2016-11-09 Member: 223775Members
    edited November 2016
    Is a real pity, the game has impressed me a lot at first but now my folder is full of folders of crashes. And this makes you dont want to keep playing.

P.D.: My crash folders is sending to subnautica-support@unknownworlds.com
  • sabin77sabin77 edmonton Join Date: 2015-08-12 Member: 207081Members
    ivanroca wrote: »
    Is a real pity, the game has impressed me a lot at first but now my folder is full of folders of crashes. And this makes you dont want to keep playing.

I know the feeling.
    edited November 2016
    Impossible to play ..., 5 FPS in game and is freezes of 20 at 30 seconds with continue crashes. Finally I give up.

My equip is old but i meet the minimum requirements:

i7 920 2,6 Ghz
    6 Gb RAM
    GTX 650 2 Gb VRAM
    Win 10 64 bits
  • janiev1997janiev1997 Join Date: 2016-11-08 Member: 223753Members
    I have problems aswell, similar to what u guys are experiencing. First day it worked fine, then game became unstable. now it freezes in certain area for 30 sec, then it ll run for a sec, then crash.

I made a post on it with the crash reports if u want to check it out.
  • Fixxer182Fixxer182 Germany Join Date: 2016-11-12 Member: 223822Members
    Hi guys,

I have the same problem about freezes, crashes and massive framedrops like you!

At the beginning of my first game in Oct 2016 i had 122fps with an AMD HD7870.
    But after some Hours i had between 10 to 60fps.
    So I had buy a new GPU. at the beginning i had 146fps, but know the same 10 to 60fps in all visited bioms.
    Frezzes while driving seamotte or diving for some seconds or so long thats the game crushes.

My Hardware is quite good enough so i think thats a game internal bug or that the game have some problems with my hardware drivers.

My System

CPU: I7-3820 4x 3,6Ghz (8 Threads)
    GPU: ASUS DUAL OC GTX 1060 with 6GB VRAM
    RAM: 64GB
    SSD: ADATA SX910 512GB

More than enough for this brilland game. All drivers are the newest and all systemupdates are installed.

PS: A friend of mine have the same System but with an gtx970, he doesn't have some frame drops or something else.
    Hello fixxer for move subnautica and any game !

I think the time has come to paralyze the new content and fix what is already done.
  • Noah1955Noah1955 Wisconsin Join Date: 2016-07-07 Member: 219780Members
    weird, I'm having no problems at all it loads up the game then just plays perfectly?
    Noah1955 wrote: »
    weird, I'm having no problems at all it loads up the game then just plays perfectly?

Rare? Your case is the rare, search a little in internet..., how long have you been playing your savegame?