ns2_caged

Comments

• doesephdoeseph Join Date: 2009-11-22 Member: 69467Members, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    Looks good Flaterectomy‌!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    edited March 2014
    Just had a run around the whole map. It looks like it's really coming together. They style you've picked really captures "ns_caged" for me. Do you know how you're going to approach the dirtier grittier parts of the map?
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    in the last version was a bit of greyboxed wall in ventialtion system (on the right on a small lowered ceiling part).

Don't know if you have fixed it i this version, haven't played it yet
  • AdambeanAdambean Cardiff, South Wales Join Date: 2005-06-03 Member: 53038Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    xtcmen wrote: »
    Pics or it didn't happen

Fine! :P

OP delivers! :)
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
  • FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »
    (...) Do you know how you're going to approach the dirtier grittier parts of the map?
    I will do what I did so far, but more grittier... xD Seriously though, I'm already using a fair number of refinery props and the occasional texture, I'll probably expand on that part, as well as introduce some new lighting.
    Mephilles wrote: »
    in the last version was a bit of greyboxed wall in ventialtion system (on the right on a small lowered ceiling part).
    There's a few spots with greybox textures remaining. They're all fairly insignificant, so I don't mind them too much. Especially because they're in the undetailed parts of the map that I will end up replacing anyway.

• JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    I expect to do some more work on Marine Start as I am not totally happy with all of it yet, but for now I am going to switch my attention to other parts of the map.

tumblr_mhd115HgZA1rxevt4o1_500.gif

• FlaterectomyFlaterectomy Netherlandistan Join Date: 2005-02-03 Member: 39643Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    New build!

CHANGELOG [17th of march 2014]
    o Moved Generator room a little to the south
    o Redesigned That One Hallway to make it less of a shooting range

The changes will hopefully result in a small reduction in travel time for aliens starting in Generator, and make That One Hallway not the Onos trap that it was. It's not been detailed yet, of course. I dressed it up slightly, but I'll need to know whether this was actually a good idea before I start doing that.

Screenshots of the new That One Hallway:
    12SQSO5.jpg
    PvIUlRm.jpg
    qzKmL5Z.jpg
    PSu25AC.jpg
    R9feSBc.jpg
    qD6BtWH.jpg
  • Rudy.czRudy.cz Join Date: 2012-02-13 Member: 145410Members
    I will be a bit nitpicker, but that grate ceiling platform feels a bit floating in the air, but apart of that, great work (as usual :)) !
    edited March 2014
    I considered that, then I figured that this is all basically just greyboxed geometry--just with textures on it so I don't get the old "wai is wal grey lol txture no work" ;)--so I didn't bother.
    This is what happens when I get caught up on altering the layout... I forget about the bug reports people gave me. Herpaderp.

CHANGELOG [19th of march 2014]
    o Fixed pathing issue in Monitoring that prevented MACs from building the powernode (thanks @BeigeAlert )
    o Added missing occlusion geometry to the vent between Ventilation and Shipping Tunnels
    A quick fix today.

CHANGELOG [30th of march 2014]
    o Closed off a hole in Generator that allowed access to the outside of the map (thanks Jekt!)
  • nezznezz Join Date: 2012-12-11 Member: 174712Members
    edited March 2014
    If you are letting aliens start at generator hive you need to rework that part of the map. Very hard for them to move from spawn. Or remove it as a starting hive is the best idea=)
  • [AwE]Sentinel[AwE]Sentinel Join Date: 2012-06-05 Member: 152949Members
    Maybe they just need an awesome gorge tunnel ;) Can change the flow of the game dramatically.
  • IeptBarakatIeptBarakat The most difficult name to speak ingame. Join Date: 2009-07-10 Member: 68107Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks amazing, just don't add too much detail or else the game will explode whenever you fire a shotgun.

True story, happened in early Eclipse.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    looks great, love the design of that room simply perfect.
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts
    I haven't published the new build yet - I'll do that tomorrow so I can test a few more things - but since I took this screenshot and tweeted it, I figured might as well post it in here too.

I4vWKvi.jpg

Compressed air canisters in the bottom right corner... we need to be able to shoot those!
    Looks amazing, just don't add too much detail or else the game will explode whenever you fire a shotgun.

Yeah, I have to keep the amount of faces in mind. Perhaps some of my more modular pieces can be turned into props eventually. I'll have to poke Howser about that some time. :D
  • BeigeAlertBeigeAlert Texas Join Date: 2013-08-08 Member: 186657Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Diamond, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Playtester, Pistachionauts

Yeah, I have to keep the amount of faces in mind. Perhaps some of my more modular pieces can be turned into props eventually. I'll have to poke Howser about that some time. :D

You can save your level as an .obj file, which can be imported into just about any 3d application. Then your only concern is getting the textures mapped back on there properly.
    @BeigeAlert Excellent! Might be able to add some additional detail into things too then. :)

Also, I just published the new build:

CHANGELOG [18th of may 2014]
    o Detailed Central Processing (minus the outside corridors)
    o Fixed the minimap cutting off part of the Sewer hive
  • JektJekt Join Date: 2012-02-05 Member: 143714Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow
    Looks amazing, Caged DLC inc.

If I was to complain about what you've done to central though it's that you've removed those vents from the middle of the room and the crate. It's just a big open space and a very important area of the map just like any central area of other maps. Would recommend bringing back the ambush spots at the top southern side of the room.
    Jekt wrote: »
    Looks amazing, Caged DLC inc.

If I was to complain about what you've done to central though it's that you've removed those vents from the middle of the room and the crate. It's just a big open space and a very important area of the map just like any central area of other maps. Would recommend bringing back the ambush spots at the top southern side of the room.

This is the first time I've ever heard of anyone using those vents. :O I removed the crate for now, but am keeping it in mind and will try to think of some kind of more creative non-crate cover if it's necessary.
    Yup. Try to keep it as crate-free as possible. Nooks on the walls and the ceiling is a far more interesting way to make spaces more alien friendly than littering the ground with props.
    New build published!

CHANGELOG [30th of may 2014]
    o Big layout changes in Upper Shipping / Bypass / Auxiliary Generator to help make a Generator start more viable for aliens
    o Fixed holes over doorways leading into Central Processing
    o Added cover at the top of the tall doorway in Shipping Tunnels
    o Fixed 'kinda' stuck spot on the ceiling pipes in Sewer
    o Removed some excess pre-placed cysts in Ventilation Systems
    o RIP Sat Ansbu Tthole
    o Removed the unicorn from the readyroom as readrooms are srs bsns (or did I?)

9tt8O4k.jpg

As mentioned above, there are some big changes on the east side of the map. The direct connection between Auxiliary Generator and Upper Shipping is gone, with just a vent remaining. Bypass became more of a room than a corridor, and Upper Shipping now connects to its middle rather than the previous junction at the Shipping Tunnels entrance. I hope to get a lot of feedback on these changes.
  • VetinariVetinari Join Date: 2013-07-23 Member: 186325Members, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    o Fixed 'kinda' stuck spot on the ceiling pipes in Sewer.

Dude I told you it was a suck spot, not a stuck spot
  • SebSeb Melbourne, AU Join Date: 2013-04-01 Member: 184576Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Silver, Retired Community Developer
    I hope to get a lot of feedback on these changes.

Caged is going to be played in the upcoming draft tournament for AusNS2. If I record them I'll pass them along, or you are more than welcome to spectate.
    sebb wrote: »
    Caged is going to be played in the upcoming draft tournament for AusNS2. If I record them I'll pass them along, or you are more than welcome to spectate
    Yeah, I saw it on the list! :D I'd love to spectate, time permitting. But any recording is always welcome as well.
  • dragonmithdragonmith Join Date: 2013-02-04 Member: 182817Members, Reinforced - Diamond
    Found some magical vanishing boxes for you in Aux gen! (sorry I couldn't be at the last SCC session however :( )

into 1
    into none (in Aux gen)

Of course, my guess is someone already found these and I'm just too lazy to read :P
    Yup, someone did (reported to me in-game), and it's fixed in my local copy. :D I can't publish it quite yet as I've been detailing some parts of it, which means that there are holes, and incorrect occlusion geometry and faulty pathing, but once that's taken care of I will publish that build.