Build 249 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2013 in NS2 General Discussion

imageBuild 249 is now live on Steam! - Natural Selection 2

This one is a real doozy. Thanks to the oustanding work of Thomas ‘fsfod’ Fransham, Natural Selection 2 now runs a whole lot faster. That man is a true genius, and everyone at UWE is very thankful for his efforts!

Read the full story here

Comments

• HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Bumpity bump for comment thread!
  • elfprince13elfprince13 Join Date: 2012-12-17 Member: 175393Members
    Might finally be able to play with a non-zero FPS! Looking forward to trying it out.
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    Thank you based fsfod.
  • RobotixRobotix Join Date: 2013-02-20 Member: 183222Members
    edited June 2013
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You ruined my favorite map!! </3
  • phoenixbbsphoenixbbs Join Date: 2003-02-10 Member: 13379Members, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Subnautica Playtester
    I'd quite like to see a "versioning system" for well known maps, so instead of replacing docking, call it "docking station 2", so at least you have an "extra" map to play
  • GISPGISP Battle Gorge Denmark Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27460Members, Playtest Lead, Forum Moderators, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester, Forum staff
    Best screencap ever!
  • moultanomoultano Creator of ns_shiva. Join Date: 2002-12-14 Member: 10806Members, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    MaLuS wrote: »
    not happy about the whip nerf, the aliens now have exactly what defense against nade launchers? harsh language maybe?
    Skulks. Kill the nader. They are juicy and soft.

• Ghosthree3Ghosthree3 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70557Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    moultano wrote: »
    not happy about the whip nerf, the aliens now have exactly what defense against nade launchers? harsh language maybe?

Yeah but now all it takes is 2 grenaders, 3 shotgunners, and anything short of 3 fades or an onos will be unable to stop the pain train that's killing all their hives.
  • BoBiNoUBoBiNoU Join Date: 2007-12-27 Member: 63274Members
    So rather than trying a nerf , whacking nades is just disabled, interesting.
  • LocklearLocklear [nexzil]kerrigan Join Date: 2012-05-01 Member: 151403Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Robotix wrote: »
    NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

You ruined my favorite map!! </3

>:)
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    moultano wrote: »
    You want the soft fragile life forms to make it through the wall of exploding/spammy/no FF/high ammo capacity GLs?...
    "Anti structure weapon" isn't exactly an accurate descriptor of this weapon..

• 0ni0ni Join Date: 2012-08-30 Member: 156991Members

Well you see, UWE doesn't think the arc was very useful as a full on defense buster.

I mean, I get it kinda. GLs were pretty weak as a support tool. Why not just make them better then instead of removing one of the aliens most important defense tools?

As for Docking, it needed a change. Stability was just too vital of a room, it was almost more important to hold stability then it was to hold a tech point. I'm not a big fan of the four tech point thing. They really should have just made a new map to fill that role, but it's not like they can't add that back in if people really don't like it. I think everything everyone should keep in mind is that these changes make Docking more of a WIP then it was before. I'm sure nothing about it is final now, but the author won't really know what to change without people giving feedback on it.
  • statikgstatikg Join Date: 2012-09-19 Member: 159978Members
    Have barely seen anyone use the nade launcher since they last buffed whips. Would be nice to see them again.
  • IronHorseIronHorse Developer, QA Manager, Technical Support & contributor Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71669Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Subnautica Playtester, Subnautica PT Lead, Pistachionauts
    statikg wrote: »
    Have barely seen anyone use the nade launcher since they last buffed whips. Would be nice to see them again.
    BT mod says hello. :)
  • roxrox Join Date: 2013-06-12 Member: 185536Members
    Amazing job, previously I used to get FPS dips all the way down to 35 in late-game scenarios on a 20 slot server, now it never goes below 80 and the game+input just feels smoother overall. Hopefully people with lower end rigs get big improvements as well, going to get some of my friends who put the game down because of performance issues to try it again.

When trying out the new docking I found a small bug in east wing though, MACs consistently go through the floor in the area by the power node (seems to happen in the staircase just to the right of the power node). Also when i built macs in terminal and way-pointed them to departures they took that path and got stuck. http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/6699/2013061200002c.jpg
  • ZekZek Join Date: 2002-11-10 Member: 7962Members, NS1 Playtester, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Grenade whacking just was never a good idea. Why should the counter to structure spam be hard countered by a structure? That's silly. If it ends up being imba there are other ways to make GL users more vulnerable.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    It wasn't disabled for balance reasons, it was disabled because grenades were changed to be predicted client side. This makes them much better to use, but causes technical issues with the Whip whacking, because it is not a predicted action. Given more time and effort there might be some workarounds, but considering that GLs are already so underused, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort at the moment.
  • nirvanaXOnirvanaXO Join Date: 2010-02-26 Member: 70747Members
    haven't been on in a while here because i've lost my pc that can play ns2 and now im just playing the original natural selection, but judging from the last time i've been on, the changes are beautiful. I can't wait to play this because last time I tried fps was shaky.
  • RuntehRunteh Join Date: 2010-06-26 Member: 72163Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited June 2013
    Deleted a big rant after seeing Cory's post.

Basically, just introduce the BT mod's version of the Whip. But I would change it so that the grenades cause 75% less (or thereabouts) damage and explode when the Whip hits them.
  • turtsmcgurtturtsmcgurt Join Date: 2012-11-01 Member: 165456Members, Reinforced - Supporter
    i wish i was cool enough to call people by their first names
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    sounds very interresting, downloading now.
    i dont expect much performance boost on a 4ghz octocore but we will see. ;)
  • wirywiry Join Date: 2009-05-25 Member: 67479Members
  • VenatosVenatos Join Date: 2012-03-31 Member: 149762Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    edited June 2013
    hmm, tryed 2 servers, both times stuck on authenticating.... maybe servers arent updated yet?

edit: 3rd time is the charm, after 4minutes of authenticating it startet loading and im in! :)
  • CrushaKCrushaK Join Date: 2012-11-05 Member: 167195Members, NS2 Playtester
    i wish i was cool enough to call people by their first names

Get to the next level by calling them Mr. Strader and Mr. Jeremy.
  • IndustryIndustry Esteemed Gentleman Join Date: 2010-07-13 Member: 72344Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Supporter
    Venatos wrote: »
    hmm, tryed 2 servers, both times stuck on authenticating.... maybe servers arent updated yet?

The steam authentication servers went down for a second, but seem to be back up.

• NeokenNeoken Bruges, Belgium Join Date: 2004-03-20 Member: 27447Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Playtester
    Again, wonderful job. :)
  • YMICrazyYMICrazy Join Date: 2012-11-02 Member: 165986Members
    BoBiNoU wrote: »
    It wasn't disabled for balance reasons, it was disabled because grenades were changed to be predicted client side. This makes them much better to use, but causes technical issues with the Whip whacking, because it is not a predicted action. Given more time and effort there might be some workarounds, but considering that GLs are already so underused, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort at the moment.

Personally I think the whips should have been given a free upgrade to bombard at maturity like in the BT mod to compensate and pose at least somewhat of a threat to marines.