Make Subnautica Standalone

SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
Just an idea but Subnautica will work without steam, BUT can not leave feedback or update game. They could have a launcher that would update game and see versions with discussions, much like the in game menu. Why… people/students who may have blocked computers, can't use steam to update or download newer versions. They have to use external computer to get steam and further Subnautica, then its drag and drop.

REMEMBER THIS IS JUST AN IDEA!!!

P.S. IN ALL CAPS

NEED TO HAVE GAMES SAVED TO CLOUD SO YOU CAN PLAY THEM ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS!!!

Comments

• ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Unfortunately, our game save files are so big that you would run out of steam cloud storage very, very quickly.
  • SPIRIN1224SPIRIN1224 Moon Join Date: 2015-04-15 Member: 203469Members
    Darn but wow, a dev responded to the post… in less than 12 hours. Still I can only wish...
  • paradineparadine usa Join Date: 2015-09-18 Member: 208004Members
    We could save the subnautica files to a flashdrive so we can play on multiple computers (take it with us). But I agree it needs to be able to run without steam having to be on the computer because steam uses too much memory capacity and slows our computers when games are active (even if the game is not using steam for anything nor does steam have overlay active). I have also seen that subnautica is using a massive amount of ram. Is there a possible fix for the ram/vram usage (my system shares 1997mb of its main ram with the video and has 512mb built into the video system on its own). I have seen that my hdd usage is below 5% until I make a save then it jumps to 40% for a few seconds (this is fine by me and expected) and I would rather have it use 15-20% more hdd transfer capacity to allow for reduced ram/vram use.
  • ElavionElavion Poland Join Date: 2015-09-09 Member: 207844Members
    Obraxis wrote: »
    Unfortunately, our game save files are so big that you would run out of steam cloud storage very, very quickly.

While we're at it, do you plan to do something about that?
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Elavion wrote: »
    Obraxis wrote: »

While we're at it, do you plan to do something about that?

Not really possible with how our game works currently, sorry.
    You could remake how Subnautica saves.

For instance, the world would save your position and the chunk around you, so it saves only those assets, if you have more than one base then it would save just the block parameters in that base. On saving the game it will obviously save and then compress it. On loading it just opens (not uncompress) the save file.

Just think about it...
    Also the game does work without steam. Simply have the assets/resources inside the app and allow the feedback panel to work and vualla, subnautica without steam.
  • SamusDroidSamusDroid Colorado Join Date: 2013-05-13 Member: 185219Members, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    If you make it work without Steam then it's basically saying TORRENT ME
    First off it already is, so second, torrent me is already available. Im not going to tell you how to find the game, but I'm sure the general population does. IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!
  • crane476crane476 United States, Tx Join Date: 2015-08-07 Member: 206850Members
    SPIRIN1224 wrote: »
    You could remake how Subnautica saves.

For instance, the world would save your position and the chunk around you, so it saves only those assets, if you have more than one base then it would save just the block parameters in that base. On saving the game it will obviously save and then compress it. On loading it just opens (not uncompress) the save file.

Just think about it...

If only "remake how Subnautica saves" was as easy as it sounded.
    True but it is feasible. This is what making a game is all about!!!

:)
  • HokHok Join Date: 2015-09-28 Member: 208198Members
    edited November 2015
    Not to mention on the Steam discussion there with TORRENT ME... People have figured out how to bypass Steam through a patch... and they gladly update that patch every week... I don't use Steam because I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE ONLINE TO PLAY A SINGLE PLAYER GAME... AND I CAN'T BEGIN REMEMBER HOW MANY TIMES MY SYSTEM WAS HACKED WHEN I HAD STEAM...
    And off topic of Subnautica... Do you really want to be paying twice as much for a game that is no longer in development and the company that made it is no more... I watch one of my favorite titles drop in price at all stores and online ordering sites but Steam kept their price at the 20+ dollar mark... The company eventually went out of business but Steam stayed firm with their price till just recently when they dropped the price to about 12 bucks... Not good business... It's why the game Don't Starve offers a non-Steam version... Can't say it for Don't Starve Together but Reign of Giants and Base game are not Steam Locked... And no single player game SHOULD BE STEAM LOCKED...
    To put it simpler WE ARE NO LONGER BUYING GAMES ANYMORE... NOT BECAUSE OF TORRENTS BUT BECAUSE WE SUDDENLY HAVE TO THIRD PARTY OUR GAMES... STEAM IS THE THIRD PARTY AND WE CAN'T PLAY THOSE GAMES WITH OUT THEM... NOT OWNERSHIP IN THE LEAST... IF I CAN'T PUT IT ON MY SYSTEM WITH OUT A LAUNCHER FROM A TOTALLY DIFFERENT COMPANY MEANS I DON'T OWN IT... THAT OTHER COMPANY DOES...
    And here is a perfect explanation... Install Steam, Pay to "Download" and Install Subnautica, RUN SUBNAUTICA AND IT WORKS (I am not going to say great because the stage the game is at in development), UNINSTALL STEAM... Subnautica no longer works... That is not ownership, it's renting...
    dude….

You have officially read my mind…

every time I open steam to play the game…..

wow

Now if everybody read my earlier posts it DOES work without steam. Just go to your steam apps/common/subnautica/subnautica.app

Cheers!!!
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    edited November 2015
    You bought and own a license to that game , same as if you buy a physical copy. You never own the game , you own a license to the game that will allow you to play it on platform it is intended for. People seem to get ownership of a game and licenses confused.

You seem to dislike Steam for reasons that I and most people don't understand or have no issues with:

- People/students who may have blocked computers, can't use steam to update or download newer versions.
    Don't play at school / work on school / work computers. Thats silly.

- I should not have to be online to play a single player game.
    You don't have to be online. (Just for download)

- I can't begin remember how many times my system was hacked when I had Steam.
    That must be your "Steam" then. I think problems rather come from downloading pirate copies!

All these reasons sound more of like an excuse to make pirate copies even easier than it already is.

Steam has so many more advantages like distribution, cloud, workshop, friends, achievments, ... that are used or could be of use in the future, that a standalone branch of the game is really not feasable.
  • ShuryCZShuryCZ Czech Republic Join Date: 2015-07-07 Member: 206047Members
    Ehm... You can play Subnautica offline :D you can even change the F3 options offline, it works, so what is problem here (that about steam)?
    DID YOU JUST SAY WHAT I THINK YOU SAID!!!

YOU THINK I PIRATE GAMES!!!!!!!!

I WOULD NEVER PIRATE GAMES, ESPECIALLY THIS GAME!!!!

I AM SAYING IT might BE BETTER IF IT IS A STANDALONE!!!!!

If you did not mean that then please elaborate.
    O h m y god…

READ your post again and now to EXPLAIN EVERYTHING TO YOU!!!

First of… ITZ DOES WORK WITHOUT STEAM, I downloaded and deleted steam and it still works!!!

Second… YOU CAN ALREADY PIRATE THE GAME WITH/WITHOUT STEAM. IT DOESN'T MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!!

Look online… search up on youtube 'free subnautica full'!!! Videos GALORE offering FREE, TORRENTED VERSIONS OF THE GAME!!!!!!

NO DIFFERENCE READ THE POSTS!!!!!!!!!!
    No disrespect man, but you gotta read the posts!!!

No hard feelings appreciate your comments.

Everybody has their own opinions.

:smile:
    REMEMBER

IT WORKS WITHOUT STEAM!!!!!!!!!
  • _INTER__INTER_ Join Date: 2009-08-08 Member: 68392Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Repeated postings, exclamation marks and especially capslock doesn't underline your statements.
    No I wasn't directing that argument at you, but Hok.
    I went through following line of thoughts just to make it clear:

Hok claims he has an unstable system and that Steam is at fault > Steam doesn't cause instability for the greatest of almost all people that have Steam > He's talking about standalone game that makes it easier to pirate a game > Viruses are the biggest cause of instability > Viruses come with downloads, especially pirated software...

Also, just because there's already a possiblity to torrent the game doesn't mean that it doesn't matter anymore if its distributed outside of Steam.
    Actually I'm still waiting for a good, justifiable reason for UWE to go through the effort (=money) and build a steamless version.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    edited November 2015
    Steam isn't just "you need steam to play to protect the game from piracy"

Steamworks also has a huge community behind it and can be used for the following things to entice players to buy it through Steam and play on Steam... Steam isn't just anti pirate but it helps to some extent using these things:

- Achievements, people like to show them off on their profile
    - Friends List, if the game will get multiplayer you can easily join and play with friends
    - Cards, you can collect these and put them together to get more stuff from the Steam Store
    - Game data files storage and distribution through the steam servers
    - Game patching through Steam
    - Store promotions
    - Huge Market, indeed...

So the argument of "it works without steam" holds no water as that is just a small part of the benefits for both the developers and the gamers... Providing a better service than installing hacked versions of a game, some of which will most likely contain some form adware or other exploits and malware...

---
    I'm closing this... Mostly because it's a loaded thread, implying that because a game is already pirated somewhere/somehow/someplace justifies abandoning Steam... When in fact the benefits to both players and developers far outweigh anything mentioned in this thread...

Also in your future endeavors on these here forums... Please do NOT post multiple times in a row in the same thread, there is an edit button for a reason. And that odd formatting, that's just annoying...

And @Obraxis answered your idea about Cloud storage for saves in the first response, too large files. I think max storage is similar per game to how mods work? something like a total maximum allowed of 100Mb? Not sure about that one though, but the cloud is mostly used for settings and my guess is that's is not that large of a storage to begin with, based on the nature of what Cloud is for...
This discussion has been closed.