Leviathans

The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
Alright, so from what I can gather, the word "Leviathan" is being used in Subnautica to describe any particularly large creatures. Examples for what "particularly large" means:
0.jpg
latest?cb=20150321042654
maxresdefault.jpg
latest?cb=20150709233214
So, I had a thought. If they're going to be making such massive creatures, why don't we the people brainstorm? I started this thread to post an idea I had for another Leviathan, and I'd love it if others did the same.

Basically, I call it the Primal Leviathan. It's an ultra-massive creature, so much so that there would need to be an option to turn it on and off so people with slower computers can play. It would be shaped a tiny bit like this weirdo (it's called a Frilled Shark), but with considerably slimmer proportions:
frill-snake_wide-5941a513cc819c5bb5c61f5b014bdcfe137c35d7.jpg?s=1400
My ideas for the Primal are as follows:
  • Only spawns in biomes with a floor below 2500 meters
  • Exceedingly slow, between the speeds of a reefback and the player
  • There can only be one spawned at a time
  • Large enough to bite a Reefback in half
  • Maybe even something in the story about how all of the Leviathan creatures are related, and this is the "grandfather" of all the others (like how the Megalodon is the grandfather of the Great White Shark IRL). Thus, the name "Primal."
  • The teeth are actually unusually small for the creatures size, about the size of the player's knife

I am fully aware that this is a rather controversial idea, but try to keep an open mind, and offer actual criticism instead of just saying "that's stupid." I am prepared to argue. Anyway, if anyone else has Leviathan ideas, I'd love to see them.

Comments

• MyrmMyrm Sweden Join Date: 2015-08-16 Member: 207210Members
    I'd like to see huge Megalodon sharks :smile:
  • jjust19jjust19 Australia Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207535Members
    Well, I think these "leviathan" creatures should be somewhat of a rarity in Subnautica. Though, it would be nice to have some truly huge, terrifying creatures in the game.

In saying that, I know there's an area near the floater islands that connects to deep lava caverns where it's incredibly dark (around 1285m down). Maybe the designers could place all the scary monsters down there.
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    We need more Kaiju

Nuclear Leviathan

A colossal reptilian monster that can be summoned in the inactive lava zone. Attacks by biting, or blasting its malcontents with a powerful radioactive breath blast to microwave and cook them alive. However, wearing the Radiation Suit makes its breath attack harmless.

Lightning Leviathan
    A colossal, amphibious, reptilian monster that can be summoned in the Floating Islands. Generates powerful electric currents throughout its body and can launch bolts of lightning from its mouth, or create a field around it to electrocute enemies. Its lightning can actually charge vehicles and tools, but will kill the player.
  • Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    Remember this game is following the Laws of fysics
  • The_SharkThe_Shark USA Join Date: 2015-08-24 Member: 207433Members
    Conthrar wrote: »
    I would love to see a flying bird type Leviathan that dives in the water to try and attack the player and maybe scoop them out of the water.
    Love it! Maybe it could be called the Roc Leviathan, after another bird with a similar wingspan.
    Myrm wrote: »
    I'd like to see huge Megalodon sharks :smile:
    I love Megalodons, but maybe just giant stalkers or something. If you like Megs too, read the "Meg" series by Steve Alten.

jjust19 wrote: »
    Well, I think these "leviathan" creatures should be somewhat of a rarity in Subnautica. Though, it would be nice to have some truly huge, terrifying creatures in the game.

In saying that, I know there's an area near the floater islands that connects to deep lava caverns where it's incredibly dark (around 1285m down). Maybe the designers could place all the scary monsters down there.

First part, my thoughts exactly. Second, maybe all the Leviathans EXCEPT a select few (Reapers, Emperors, and Dragons)
    We need more Kaiju

Nuclear Leviathan

A colossal reptilian monster that can be summoned in the inactive lava zone. Attacks by biting, or blasting its malcontents with a powerful radioactive breath blast to microwave and cook them alive. However, wearing the Radiation Suit makes its breath attack harmless.

Lightning Leviathan
    A colossal, amphibious, reptilian monster that can be summoned in the Floating Islands. Generates powerful electric currents throughout its body and can launch bolts of lightning from its mouth, or create a field around it to electrocute enemies. Its lightning can actually charge vehicles and tools, but will kill the player.

The nuclear leviathan makes me think of Godzilla, but that'd be cool. The Lightning Leviathan sounds really unique, I'd love to see that.
    lussebull wrote: »

Since when? The Cyclops is 180 feet long, the Reaper is nearly twice that, making it over three and a half times the size of a Blue Whale. Maybe this planet has a different level of gravity, which is why such things are possible, and why you can swim so fast.

Ye canna change the laws of physics, Jim!
    >.<

• tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    max size would be 60-100 meters depending on the gravity and the prey types
    tarek wrote: »

"Max size."
    You realize that the Reaper Leviathan is nearly 120 meters, and that the Emperor Leviathan is going to be bigger, and the Sea Dragon Leviathan bigger still?
  • Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited August 2015
    I don't think more leviathans are what we need, even more so if their only qualities are being uninspired, big and scary. I'd like to see more medium sized lifeforms and especially peacefull ones. In terms of size there is nothing between jelly ray and reefback.

I liked Conthrar's idea of a big flying creature tho.
    I don't think more leviathans are what we need, even more so if their only qualities are being uninspired, big and scary. I'd like to see more medium sized lifeforms and especially peacefull ones. In terms of size there is nothing between jelly ray and reefback.

I liked Conthrar's idea of a big flying creature tho.

I'm not saying we need more, I'm saying when they inevitably add more, we the people should help decide what properties they should have.
  • tarektarek lebanon Join Date: 2015-04-10 Member: 203241Members
    well seems that the planet has low gravity and 60km + deep waters to allow such massive creatures to evolve
  • 04Leonhardt04Leonhardt I came here to laugh at you Join Date: 2015-08-01 Member: 206618Members
    >Laws of Physics
    >Building structures in seconds with magic lasers
    The_Shark wrote: »
    I love Megalodons, but maybe just giant stalkers or something. If you like Megs too, read the "Meg" series by Steve Alten.

I have read the first two books in that series.

1) It's an alien planet.

2) It's a game

Taking the two above factors into consideration, anything is possible! :smiley:
    well seems that the planet has low gravity and 60km + deep waters to allow such massive creatures to evolve

Exactly. Welcome to Kamino.
    >Laws of Physics

Indeed. So if your reason for not wanting them is physics, keep that in mind.

I have read the first two books in that series.

*nod* Nice. I've read... four, I believe.

1) It's an alien planet.

2) It's a game

Taking the two above factors into consideration, anything is possible! :smiley:

Exactly. Those two, plus if your argument is 100 meters is max size, go look at the 120-meter Reaper, which is the smallest Leviathan.
    I don't think more leviathans are what we need, even more so if their only qualities are being uninspired, big and scary.
    I am fully aware that this is a rather controversial idea, but try to keep an open mind, and offer actual criticism instead of just saying "that's stupid." I am prepared to argue.

Putting my quote after the Captain's starts my point.
    I'm fully aware that we don't "need" more Leviathans. But then again, you could just as easily say that we don't "need" Reefbacks, or Seabases, or anything for that matter. True, we don't need them. Do we want them? Some people do. I've heard from/spoken to at least a dozen people, all of which agree that one thing they really want in Subnautica is to have a hidden, ridiculously massive creature. So, while it's true we don't need more Leviathans, having them well-designed, as well as having story, would make it so that there are a lot of people out there who would want them.
  • BloopBloop Germany Join Date: 2015-08-28 Member: 207553Members
    The Blue Whale is probably NOT the biggest animal on earth - just the biggest known!
    There are many oceanic sound evidences recorded by military hydrophones, that huge unknown creatures live in the depths of the pacific ocean.

"The Bloop"-Sound: (source: wikipedia)

The sound's source was roughly triangulated to 50°S 100°WCoordinates:
    50°S 100°W (a remote point in the south Pacific Ocean west of the southern tip of South America), and the sound was detected several times by the Equatorial Pacific Ocean autonomous hydrophone array.
    This system was developed as an autonomous array of hydrophones that could be deployed in any oceanographic region to monitor specific phenomena.
    It is primarily used to monitor undersea seismicity, ice noise, and marine mammal population and migration.

This is a stand-alone system designed and built by NOAA's Pacific Marine Environmental Laboratory (PMEL) to augment NOAA's use of the U.S. Navy Sound Surveillance System (SOSUS), which was equipment originally designed to detect Soviet submarines.

According to the NOAA description, it "rose rapidly in frequency over about one minute and was of sufficient amplitude to be heard on multiple sensors, at a range of over 5,000 km (3106.86 miles)."
    The NOAA's Dr. Christopher Fox did not believe its origin was man-made, such as a submarine or bomb, nor familiar geological events such as volcanoes or earthquakes.
    While the audio profile of Bloop does resemble that of a living creature, the source was a mystery both because it was different from known sounds and because it was several times louder than the loudest recorded animal, the blue whale.
    A number of other significant sounds have been named by NOAA: Julia, Train, Slow Down, Whistle and Upsweep.

Dr. Christopher Fox of the NOAA initially speculated that Bloop may be ice calving in Antarctica. A year later journalist David Wolman paraphrased Dr. Fox's updated opinion that it was probably animal in origin."

here are the 5 "mysterious" hydrophone sound records - listen for yourself:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=ZZ4g5NVWaVw

That is why I think, we should not say that huge oceanic giants are "physically impossible", too early!
    I know what Bloop is. Read The Loch by Steve Alten, it's a major aspect of the story. Either way, I wasn't saying the Blue Whale is the biggest. I was using it for size comparison, as it's considered a massive creature.
  • zetachronzetachron Germany Join Date: 2014-11-14 Member: 199655Members
    edited August 2015
    I'd prefer a leviathan for the deep with a mouth big enough to swallow the cyclops. A last danger for those mad enough trying to reach the planet surface bottom or swim towards the map edge. It spawns related to the players mad journey to the maps limits while showing him how terrifying Subnautica can be even with an armed cyclops or any submarine he can build.

So a bigger mouth, eyeless is good, and yes, a big big mass. And most important those awful echo sound it produces a minute before you can actually see him. His sonar makes the cyclops shake 10 seconds before he appears.

EDIT:
    The cyclops needs an emergency dive up system.
    zetachron wrote: »
    I'd prefer a leviathan for the deep with a mouth big enough to swallow the cyclops. A last danger for those mad enough trying to reach the planet surface bottom or swim towards the map edge. It spawns related to the players mad journey to the maps limits while showing him how terrifying Subnautica can be even with an armed cyclops or any submarine he can build.

So a bigger mouth, eyeless is good, and yes, a big big mass. And most important those awful echo sound it produces a minute before you can actually see him. His sonar makes the cyclops shake 10 seconds before he appears.

I think the Primal Leviathan should fulfill that niche. This thing is meant to bite adult Reefbacks in half (the ones in-game right now are juveniles), so it could be large enough to swallow the Cyclops.
    zetachron wrote: »
    EDIT:
    The cyclops needs an emergency dive up system.

Yes, yes it does. IRL submersibles are able to dive because of metal weight plates which pull them down. If these are all released at once, then the submersible will rocket to the surface at ridiculous speed (so much that the pressure changes can be fatal before you actually reach air). The Cyclops needs an "Oh shit" button that launches you upwards, but at a safer speed (just barely though).
    If what you erlier said is true the reaper leviathan is 100 meters not 120
    >Laws of Physics
    Actully that type of physics is possible.
    >Laws of Physics
    Actully that type of physics is possible.

It's like a handheld version of a 3D printer, from what I can gather.
    Very huge animals are physically possible, too!
    I'm much better at making machines than organisms, but if anyone wants me to make a 3D model for a Leviathan idea, I can at least try.
    I'm much better at making machines than organisms, but if anyone wants me to make a 3D model for a Leviathan idea, I can at least try.

Doooo iiiit !!! =D

Alrighty then. I'll start work on the Primal and the others mentioned in this thread so far, but if anyone else has a Leviathan idea, feel free to submit it.
    you mean we could post an idea and you would model it (perhaps)? =)

• Captain_PyroCaptain_Pyro Germany Join Date: 2015-05-31 Member: 205116Members
    edited August 2015
    I don't think more leviathans are what we need, even more so if their only qualities are being uninspired, big and scary.
    I am fully aware that this is a rather controversial idea, but try to keep an open mind, and offer actual criticism instead of just saying "that's stupid." I am prepared to argue.

Putting my quote after the Captain's starts my point.
    I'm fully aware that we don't "need" more Leviathans. But then again, you could just as easily say that we don't "need" Reefbacks, or Seabases, or anything for that matter. True, we don't need them. Do we want them? Some people do. I've heard from/spoken to at least a dozen people, all of which agree that one thing they really want in Subnautica is to have a hidden, ridiculously massive creature. So, while it's true we don't need more Leviathans, having them well-designed, as well as having story, would make it so that there are a lot of people out there who would want them.

If they add more leviathans they better be well designed.

Well, i shoulve said "I don't think more leviathans are what we need RIGHT NOW". With the current size of the map i have no clue where to even put the SE and SD.

If my comment sounded like "that's stupid" to you, i'm very sorry, what i tried to get across was: I don't want every huge threat in this sea to be a hulking fish. How about a super organism of protozoons that have some kind of swarm intelligence or as someone posted before a winged creature that swoops down on you. I bet there is tons of good ideas that differ from "can take a reefback in one bite" ... THAT's what i meant with unispired.