Experimental Non Flash Menu Mod

Comments

• fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1908822:date=Mar 1 2012, 08:31 PM:name=Gurthang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gurthang @ Mar 1 2012, 08:31 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1908822"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I tried installing the mod both ways, but neither seems to work. If I use the .bat nothing happens and copying the mod files just opens NS2 with the old menu.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Do you atleast get a windows console window popup when you double click the bat

<!--quoteo(post=1909064:date=Mar 2 2012, 03:51 AM:name=Dghelneshi)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Dghelneshi @ Mar 2 2012, 03:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909064"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->This one? Happened when the server did a map change.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Yes but I did upload a new build today that should of fixed it.

<ul>Fixed crashing when some windows are closed and destroyed
    Fixed broken commander chat label
    Fixed auto selecting the connected server in the server browser
    Removed some left over debug messages</li></ul>
  • GurthangGurthang Join Date: 2010-12-19 Member: 75777Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909080:date=Mar 2 2012, 04:36 AM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Mar 2 2012, 04:36 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909080"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Do you atleast get a windows console window popup when you double click the bat<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah I get that. The ingame console has nothing in it when i open with a shortcut, son't know if that helps.
  • fsfodfsfod uk Join Date: 2004-04-09 Member: 27810Members, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Subnautica Playtester, NS2 Community Developer, Pistachionauts
    <!--quoteo(post=1909095:date=Mar 2 2012, 05:25 AM:name=Gurthang)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gurthang @ Mar 2 2012, 05:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909095"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Yeah I get that. The ingame console has nothing in it when i open with a shortcut, son't know if that helps.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You could try re-extracting the zip to somewhere, some files may not of got extracted correctly from the zip if that doesn't work you could post the what was written to the console window and the paths you set in the shortcut.
  • GurthangGurthang Join Date: 2010-12-19 Member: 75777Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1909183:date=Mar 2 2012, 12:53 PM:name=fsfod)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (fsfod @ Mar 2 2012, 12:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1909183"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You could try re-extracting the zip to somewhere, some files may not of got extracted correctly from the zip if that doesn't work you could post the what was written to the console window and the paths you set in the shortcut.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah that worked. Thanks the mod is great.
  • Salraine_ChiSalraine_Chi Join Date: 2011-07-03 Member: 107669Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Using this and like it a lot.

Could you add the option to disable the fog in the next version please? I use r_fog false and the game looks so much better for it. Better lighting, contrast and colours.

I have to enter the above after every map change in the console. Is there a way to make it stick permanently?

Cheers
  • NecropsYNecropsY Join Date: 2012-01-23 Member: 141746Members
    I just wanna thank FSFOD

this mod is awesome and a huge help

can you add an option to disable R_shadows 0

shadows are soooo anoying and drop fps
    Shadows are more a core part of the game than fog
  • ellnicellnic Join Date: 2010-07-19 Member: 72559Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    just played a few games with this, it really makes it a better experience to use it while playing. Thanks
  • SkieSkie Skulk Progenitor Join Date: 2003-10-18 Member: 21766Members, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Shadow
    Small bug I noticed with this mod. If you're using a jetpack and start flying, then press tab to open scores, then release jetpack fly button, it still keeps flying. It's stuck flying until you close the scores and press jump again.
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    I can't believe the devs still haven't bothered to update their rather basic menu system yet, we're nearly soon to be 200 and we don't have a fancy chat box or anything. :/
  • AlignAlign Remain Calm Join Date: 2002-11-02 Member: 5216Forum Moderators, Constellation
    They're kinda busy working on the entire rest of the game...
  • Electr0Electr0 Join Date: 2011-10-31 Member: 130337Members
    edited March 2012
    <!--quoteo(post=1911613:date=Mar 9 2012, 12:56 PM:name=Align)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Align @ Mar 9 2012, 12:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911613"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->They're kinda busy working on the entire rest of the game...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Development is a wide and varied thing, this is one area thats been pretty much forgotten, its not like adding a few small updates now and then would of taken up much of thier time, if fsfod can come up with something better in his spare time so can uwe, they could of even took the code with his permission and improved the menus ages ago if they wanted.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    A new menu system is being worked on, there are only so many devs and the menu system as is currently 'works' even though it's not the best. They have to balance new features and bug reports and actually making the game. Patience Electr0.
  • PvtBonesPvtBones Join Date: 2004-04-25 Member: 28187Members
    edited March 2012
    just tried this and avg freaked out and deleted my NS2.exe (I think, game does run now anyways.) trying to verify my game files see if that helps

and steam suspends my attempts to download the missing files..

any lend a hand?
    <!--quoteo(post=1911940:date=Mar 10 2012, 09:40 PM:name=PvtBones)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PvtBones @ Mar 10 2012, 09:40 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911940"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->just tried this and avg freaked out and deleted my NS2.exe (I think, game does run now anyways.) trying to verify my game files see if that helps

and steam suspends my attempts to download the missing files..

any lend a hand?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I don't know why your getting false positives from avg unless your system was already infected with something before you used my mod. AVG might have locked the files blocking steam from updating them
  • PvtBonesPvtBones Join Date: 2004-04-25 Member: 28187Members
    not sure, ran a scan with avg and spybot, nothing came up. I temporaily shut down avg and steam was able to download them. after I re-enabled I was able to add them to an exception list and everything has been hunky-dory. the mod is really nice though, really nice work :)
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1911617:date=Mar 9 2012, 08:02 PM:name=Electr0)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Electr0 @ Mar 9 2012, 08:02 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911617"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Development is a wide and varied thing, this is one area thats been pretty much forgotten, its not like adding a few small updates now and then would of taken up much of thier time, if fsfod can come up with something better in his spare time so can uwe, they could of even took the code with his permission and improved the menus ages ago if they wanted.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

You used to complain about the devs not focusing on what you called the "important parts" of the game, like the Onos and that they wasted their time on less important stuff like the menu. Well your wish was granted, the time line of the universe was altered and now instead of this we got the Onos. And you are still unhappy. You had been warned this might happen.
    <!--quoteo(post=1911582:date=Mar 9 2012, 04:22 PM:name=Skie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skie @ Mar 9 2012, 04:22 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1911582"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Small bug I noticed with this mod. If you're using a jetpack and start flying, then press tab to open scores, then release jetpack fly button, it still keeps flying. It's stuck flying until you close the scores and press jump again.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I think this might be a hardware limitation of you keyboard called keyboard ghosting where it can't detect some key presses/changes when too many keys are held down that have there switch's connected to the same row/column in the switch matrix
  • paradoxumparadoxum United Kingdom Join Date: 2012-03-05 Member: 148193Members
    when using this mod, 70% of the time when I load my game, the server list will not populate. I tried clicking refresh many times and reloading the game but the server list will just not populate, until one time when it will magically work.
    <!--quoteo(post=1913217:date=Mar 15 2012, 05:53 PM:name=paradoxum)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (paradoxum @ Mar 15 2012, 05:53 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913217"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->when using this mod, 70% of the time when I load my game, the server list will not populate. I tried clicking refresh many times and reloading the game but the server list will just not populate, until one time when it will magically work.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This tends to happen without my mod the steam server seem break often based on the number posts I see on this forum about no servers showing up. what I've noticed is the master server just takes a really really long time respond with the list of servers to the client when stuff is not showing up instantly. I should really show by the server count if a list refresh is complete/timed out. If it happens again try just running the game without my mod and see if it not working for the unmodded game as well.
  • eh?eh? Join Date: 2012-03-03 Member: 147997Members
    Is the armory buy menu broken in this b200?

I seem to have the weapon / equipment icon "clickable areas" be offset by about two icons on the armory. The rest seems fine though.
  • NominousNominous Baltimore, MD Join Date: 2012-02-18 Member: 146518Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1913936:date=Mar 16 2012, 12:58 PM:name=eh?)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (eh? @ Mar 16 2012, 12:58 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1913936"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Is the armory buy menu broken in this b200?

I seem to have the weapon / equipment icon "clickable areas" be offset by about two icons on the armory. The rest seems fine though.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This mod is working perfectly for me in b200. I'm able to click and buy each weapon at the armory at fullscreen resolution. Are you using any resolution lower than your monitor?
  • WilsonWilson Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 72867Members
    Try setting it to windowed fullscreen. I remember that fixed some issues with the menu buttons being offset from how they appeared.
    edited March 2012
    Its kinda a known issue. This was my initial reservation about putting in support for windowed fullscreen mode in for non native resolutions.
    If your running a low resolution and in windowed fullscreen mode the armory menu won't detect the mouse position correctly. Although the alien menu works fine looking at the code of the marine buy menu it uses the same copy-pasted code as the alien menu

Edit
    Well I guess the armory menu is still flash so theres not much i can do
  • RustInPiecesRustInPieces Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65210Members
    I have a couple of weird problems. (b200)

1. last night when I quit NS2 my computer froze (not related to menumod, NS2 does that) but when I tried to play just now ALL of my options were reset (keybinds, video settings, volume sliders, mouse sensitivity). I don't know if that is a menumod problem, or if maybe it had something to do with NS2 not syncing to steam because it froze (going to disable steam cloud saving in NS2 right now)

2. I did not rebind my keys before joining a game. default key for voice (alt) worked. I tried to change it to mouse 4 (button on the side of my mouse) in a game, and after that neither Alt or mouse 4 worked. I'll try to change it before joining a game and see what happens.

3. related to #1, my chatbox options/ positioning was reset
    <!--quoteo(post=1914180:date=Mar 17 2012, 04:51 AM:name=RustInPieces)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RustInPieces @ Mar 17 2012, 04:51 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1914180"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I have a couple of weird problems. (b200)

1. last night when I quit NS2 my computer froze (not related to menumod, NS2 does that) but when I tried to play just now ALL of my options were reset (keybinds, video settings, volume sliders, mouse sensitivity). I don't know if that is a menumod problem, or if maybe it had something to do with NS2 not syncing to steam because it froze (going to disable steam cloud saving in NS2 right now)

2. I did not rebind my keys before joining a game. default key for voice (alt) worked. I tried to change it to mouse 4 (button on the side of my mouse) in a game, and after that neither Alt or mouse 4 worked. I'll try to change it before joining a game and see what happens.

3. related to #1, my chatbox options/ positioning was reset<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This sounds like your ns2 config file was corrupted(most likely only part of it written to disk) while it was getting saved. it only gets saved on exit as far as I know which seems really dumb. I think the game config system will just fill in default values if it failed to parse the current one and when you exit the config file gets saved with just those default values

I am planning to switching away from the games config system and one of design features i was thinking of adding was safe config saving where when saving the config. the old config file was renamed to something like someconfig.luabak and if the new config file somehow got corrupted while saving. the next time the game tryed to load it would fail and revert to loading .luabak copy of the config
  • ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Can you add tickrate to the server browser?
    Would be great to weed out too low spec servers.
  • RustInPiecesRustInPieces Join Date: 2008-10-15 Member: 65210Members
    Thanks. The voice chat on mouse 4 works now, I just needed to restart NS2.
    I still can't get the options for the chatbox to save (max # of lines, position, fade delay). I am on Windows 7 64 bit. My steam folder is on my E: drive, it is not in a protected folder like C:\program files\
    I have steam.exe set to run as administrator (problems with some other games if I do not), if that makes a difference.

I checked the files in /menumod/scrollablechat, they are not read-only.
    <!--quoteo(post=1915106:date=Mar 19 2012, 05:34 PM:name=Zaggy)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Zaggy @ Mar 19 2012, 05:34 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915106"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Can you add tickrate to the server browser?
    Would be great to weed out too low spec servers.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I did see your post in I&S forum before you posted here. I kinda want to know first if the tick rate returned is like maybe 10 second moving average because the tickrate could be randomly spiking down to like 10

<!--quoteo(post=1915325:date=Mar 20 2012, 05:03 AM:name=RustInPieces)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RustInPieces @ Mar 20 2012, 05:03 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1915325"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Thanks. The voice chat on mouse 4 works now, I just needed to restart NS2.
    I still can't get the options for the chatbox to save (max # of lines, position, fade delay). I am on Windows 7 64 bit. My steam folder is on my E: drive, it is not in a protected folder like C:\program files\
    I have steam.exe set to run as administrator (problems with some other games if I do not), if that makes a difference.

I checked the files in /menumod/scrollablechat, they are not read-only.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It seems I missed adding the config saving logic for UpDownControls thats used for those options I'm surprised theres not been more complaints about this.
    Position saving seems tobe still working correctly
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    Your pm-inbox is full fsfod, how'd you manage that.