NS2 Progress

Comments

• ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1841000:date=Apr 14 2011, 01:17 PM:name=rammaj)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (rammaj @ Apr 14 2011, 01:17 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841000"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I wonder why they dont just use the steam server browser ingame, it works it got filters and favorits and more options. I would really love to see that heppen.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Because they are not using source? They have to build everything from scratch, including the server browser. I imagine they will basically include all (or most) of the steam server browser functions because its pretty much the de facto standard.
  • ThaldarinThaldarin Alonzi&#33; Join Date: 2003-07-15 Member: 18173Members, Constellation
    edited April 2011
    From what I know of Steam, you can't use the whole server browser facility in your game with steamworks. If I'm wrong and you can, then it must be pretty difficult to fully integrate this as non-Valve games don't seem to, and as all UE3 licensed games automatically get steamworks and still use the Unreal server browser, there must be a valid reason that if it's possible, everyone shys away from it.

EDIT: A quick on that note, I'd imagine it's a nightmare for cross compatibility with PS3/Mac OSX if full integration is possible.
  • ScardyBobScardyBob ScardyBob Join Date: 2009-11-25 Member: 69528Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We're hoping to release some more fixes in a patch today. Stay tuned.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Sweet. I got my bet on the server black screen/crash hotfix.
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    Today seems like a good day for progress
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Accounting for player velocity when hydras attack, so they attack where you'll be (I forgot that offense chambers did this in NS1)<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Uh, oh! Now I won't be able to dodge hydra spikes :)
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Nice. The hydra change will make a huge difference. We won't have to spam 20 of them to be effective any longer.
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841497:date=Apr 19 2011, 04:29 AM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Apr 19 2011, 04:29 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841497"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Nice. The hydra change will make a huge difference. We won't have to spam 20 of them to be effective any longer.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

they're still extremely easy to kill with any marine weapon, so spamming hydras still is needed. This indeed is a good change but they must increase these chambers health, as a gorge dropping few chambers that die under one clip isn't so useful in dropping just few.

also the size of hydras need to be increased, they're too small.
  • Squeal_Like_A_PigSqueal_Like_A_Pig Janitor Join Date: 2002-01-25 Member: 66Members, Super Administrators, NS1 Playtester, NS2 Developer, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Silver, Subnautica Developer
    <!--quoteo(post=1841498:date=Apr 19 2011, 04:48 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Apr 19 2011, 04:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841498"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they're still extremely easy to kill with any marine weapon, so spamming hydras still is needed. This indeed is a good change but they must increase these chambers health, as a gorge dropping few chambers that die under one clip isn't so useful in dropping just few.

also the size of hydras need to be increased, they're too small.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    We actually discussed increasing the Hydra health, and will probably be doing that at some point, to bring them more in line with the OC chambers in NS1.

The size is fine.

--Cory
  • SN.WolfSN.Wolf Join Date: 2010-03-29 Member: 71115Members
    Once they actually hit a moving target you will be surprised how much damage they can actually do when strategically placed. I absolutely loved the thorny 3 second deaths in ns1.

And size....they feel right to me, I wouldn't want a hydra with devour capabilities although it would be humorous.
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    So, will turrets be enhanced as well? >:)
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841499:date=Apr 19 2011, 04:52 AM:name=Squeal_Like_A_Pig)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Squeal_Like_A_Pig @ Apr 19 2011, 04:52 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841499"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->We actually discussed increasing the Hydra health, and will probably be doing that at some point, to bring them more in line with the OC chambers in NS1.

The size is fine.

--Cory<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

i hope so. I also hope you bring more ideas from NS1 in general.

As for the size comment, frankly its not "fine". let me explain.

the gorge has no self heal
    the gorge moves/generally stops cold while building in place
    the point is, gorge is far weaker than he was in ns1

the increased size in his chambers, he can actually hide behind his own buildings for cover, which what gorges done in NS1.
    I really hope you discuss this unless you can make the gorge as it was in NS1, giving him back his self heal and removing which stops his movement while building.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1841505:date=Apr 19 2011, 01:25 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Apr 19 2011, 01:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->As for the size comment, frankly its not "fine". let me explain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Fine is subjective, so you're incapable of being correct in the strictest sense. Also, watch this:

<!--quoteo(post=1841505:date=Apr 19 2011, 12:48 AM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Apr 19 2011, 12:48 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841505"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->they're still extremely easy to kill with any marine weapon, so spamming hydras still is needed. This is indeed a good change but they <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->should<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> have increased health, as a gorge dropping few chambers that die under one clip isn't so useful in dropping just few.

also the size of hydras <!--coloro:#FFFF00--><span style="color:#FFFF00"><!--/coloro-->should<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> be increase, they're too small<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    See how much less demanding and officious this sounds? Most people are much more receptive to suggestions rather than commands. Cheers.
  • neilm86neilm86 Join Date: 2009-04-16 Member: 67198Members
    would it be possible to have slightly larger alien structures dependant on there upgrades, e.g. Mature Hydra is slightly larger than a basic hydra. would be cool for visual variety and also gives an indication to opposing team of what there up against.
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Nice progress, can't wait for the next patch. 171/172 really enchanced performance alot. And now hydras are getting more useful, all good :)
    Have you guys at UWE concidered making macs able to follow marines? And maybe automaticly weld them if needed? You might already thought about that but just haven't done it yet :)
    I also saw in another thread that people suggested to limit macs/drifters to one per CC/Hive - that would be awesome, because then they would be more valuable (more micro needed). And maybe let them cost 5 TRes instead of energy, that would also be a nice addition in making them valuable to protect/attack.
  • QuovatisQuovatis Team Inversion Join Date: 2010-01-26 Member: 70321Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    I sort of agree with making the hydra a bit bigger, or at least the hit box. It's very hard to hit one with a rifle unless you are almost at point blank. The hitbox seems to be just the bottom half of the base, thus if placed behind a railing, the hydra can hit you, but you can't kill it unless you go around behind the railing.
  • Stele007Stele007 Join Date: 2004-07-23 Member: 30063Members
    edited April 2011
    Oh no. Now hydras aren't rendered useless by the deadly "circle strafe" maneuver.

It was definitely a needed change.

I think the size of hydras are fine, but their hitbox doesn't feel right. The marine RT has the same problem as well. I usually miss if I'm not aiming for its base.
  • gorge.ousgorge.ous Join Date: 2011-01-07 Member: 76481Members
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1841558:date=Apr 19 2011, 08:11 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Apr 19 2011, 08:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I sort of agree with making the hydra a bit bigger, or at least the hit box. It's very hard to hit one with a rifle unless you are almost at point blank. The hitbox seems to be just the bottom half of the base, thus if placed behind a railing, the hydra can hit you, but you can't kill it unless you go around behind the railing.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Solution: use pistol
    <!--quoteo(post=1841583:date=Apr 19 2011, 05:08 PM:name=gorge.ous)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gorge.ous @ Apr 19 2011, 05:08 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841583"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Solution: use pistol<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Seriously. The Pistol does not get the love it deserves!
  • McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
    edited April 2011
    Wow! Progress <i>explosion</i> today! Makes me wonder if they're planning on patching tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the next patch due <b>next</b> week?

Edit: My money is on a gameplay only patch tomorrow. Unless it was a mistake, Technical Tasks are marked for B174 whereas gameplay is B173. On this note, wouldn't it make sense for Max to have it own independent patch schedule? Say, every other patch? This would give him the time to really dig into these problems, but gameplay features and fixes could continue on without being hindered.
    <!--quoteo(post=1841586:date=Apr 19 2011, 05:30 PM:name=McGlaspie)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (McGlaspie @ Apr 19 2011, 05:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841586"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Wow! Progress <i>explosion</i> today! Makes me wonder if they're planning on patching tomorrow. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the next patch due <b>next</b> week?

Edit: My money is on a gameplay only patch tomorrow. Unless it was a mistake, Technical Tasks are marked for B174 whereas gameplay is B173. On this note, wouldn't it make sense for Max to have it own independent patch schedule? Say, every other patch? This would give him the time to really dig into these problems, but gameplay features and fixes could continue on without being hindered.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Felt like I just went on a detective mission with you! Well done, sir! :P
  • tyrael64tyrael64 Join Date: 2010-02-13 Member: 70551Members
    Now Technical Tasks are 173 and accepted
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited April 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1841558:date=Apr 19 2011, 02:11 PM:name=Quovatis)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Quovatis @ Apr 19 2011, 02:11 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841558"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I sort of agree with making the hydra a bit bigger, or at least the hit box.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I agree. One benefit is aliens won't be able to jam 40 in a tight little room. The downside is it will take far less to blockade the entrances to marine start. Of course the fix is to limit how many hydra can be placed close to each other.
    Regardless of what they do, the atmosphere created by 20+ Hydras in a room full of infestation is something I think they should work to maintain/highlight.

It just looks so damned cool!
  • swalkswalk Say hello to my little friend. Join Date: 2011-01-20 Member: 78384Members, Squad Five Blue
    Holding CTRL as a skulk makes you run silent

Dont you mean?:

Holding SHIFT as a skulk makes you run silent

?

As far as i can tell holding SHIFT already does this, i'm a bit confused about this one..
    Holding CTRL should make you ignore wallrunning as a skulk? And if you're on the wall you should drop down by pressing CTRL?
    <!--quoteo(post=1841745:date=Apr 20 2011, 08:32 PM:name=swalk)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (swalk @ Apr 20 2011, 08:32 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841745"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Dont you mean?: Holding SHIFT as a skulk makes you run silent<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    It's not a mistype. Both Shift and Control cause you to move silently. Believe it's a bug.
    <!--quoteo(post=1841751:date=Apr 21 2011, 02:31 AM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Apr 21 2011, 02:31 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841751"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a mistype. Both Shift and Control cause you to move silently. Believe it's a bug.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Thank you, i didn't do my homework properly.
  • ShiloriusShilorius Join Date: 2011-01-14 Member: 77445Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    I hope I can reconfigure the Button because CTRL is my jumping Key.
    <----Arrowkey player
  • Soylent_greenSoylent_green Join Date: 2002-12-20 Member: 11220Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1841789:date=Apr 21 2011, 11:25 AM:name=Shilorius)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Shilorius @ Apr 21 2011, 11:25 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841789"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I hope I can reconfigure the Button because CTRL is my jumping Key.
    <----Arrowkey player<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

It's not a matter of taste; the arrow keys are objectively awful. There's this big empty space all around the arrow keys; there's about 10 keys of empty space; that's 10 different actions you can't perform while using your other fingers to move around fluidly. You're handicaping yourself as badly as a WASD player who is missing a finger; stop doing that and invest a few hours to learn to play with WASD or ESDF.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1841820:date=Apr 21 2011, 07:52 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Apr 21 2011, 07:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a matter of taste; the arrow keys are objectively awful. There's this big empty space all around the arrow keys; there's about 10 keys of empty space; that's 10 different actions you can't perform while using your other fingers to move around fluidly. You're handicaping yourself as badly as a WASD player who is missing a finger; stop doing that and invest a few hours to learn to play with WASD or ESDF.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Some top CS players seem to use arrow keys. I don't know the exact reasoning, but it seems at least viable if not even somehow preferred setup for some games.
    <!--quoteo(post=1841820:date=Apr 21 2011, 03:52 PM:name=Soylent_green)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Soylent_green @ Apr 21 2011, 03:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1841820"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->It's not a matter of taste; the arrow keys are objectively awful. There's this big empty space all around the arrow keys; there's about 10 keys of empty space; that's 10 different actions you can't perform while using your other fingers to move around fluidly. You're handicaping yourself as badly as a WASD player who is missing a finger; stop doing that and invest a few hours to learn to play with WASD or ESDF.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

This assumes that the optimal setup for every individual in every game is contingent on the amount of available keys. If using the arrow keys affords you a better feeling of control where it matters (movement), the fact that you've got to reach to perform a few less frequent functions (pressing any other key you'd need to) may be negligible.