NS2 Progress

Comments

• playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837273:date=Mar 15 2011, 09:09 PM:name=luns)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (luns @ Mar 15 2011, 09:09 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837273"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->as for you saying, "It means that it is not the dominating class it never should have been. " seriously dude? its battlefield class, which is now being reduced to chasing marines on foot, which can be kitted by sprinting marines, I know because I've done this, its pitiful.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I didn't say it shouldn't be powerful, just maybe not NS1 powerful, and we all agree the current fade needs a buff so no need to jump to the opposite side of the spectrum to make a point.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->If you knew how to aim fade's weren't that powerful, sure you might not SOLO the fade which is more what you saying, but good squad of marines would kill the fade easily. I think you must of played too many combat maps where fades were level 30 or more, in a normal NS game, fades weren't as powerful as you think. You need to learn to travel in squads. Unlike right now, marines can solo the fade easily, which should make those with bad aim happy.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    A fade in the right hands in NS1 could do massive amounts of damage to the marine-game. We're talking blink-slash-blink scripting before you even knew what hit you. Fades almost carried the whole alien team, which in all honesty it shouldn't really, for the sake of RTS.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837276:date=Mar 15 2011, 08:18 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 15 2011, 08:18 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837276"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->A fade in the right hands in NS1 could do massive amounts of damage to the marine-game. We're talking blink-slash-blink scripting before you even knew what hit you. Fades almost carried the whole alien team, which in all honesty it shouldn't really, for the sake of RTS.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I think fades were partitially dominant because of the RTS perpective. The problem was mostly that playing on fade's strengths was easier than punishing its weaknesses. It's amazing how many people try to counter a regenerating hit and runner by either feeding it piecemeals or letting it do its thing instead of putting proper pressure on it making its life hard.

Without either team playing the RTS part, fades sure were pretty strong.
  • playerplayer Join Date: 2010-09-12 Member: 73982Members
    <!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The problem was mostly that playing on fade's strengths was easier than punishing its weaknesses. It's amazing how many people try to counter a regenerating hit and runner by either feeding it piecemeals or letting it do its thing instead of putting proper pressure on it making its life hard.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Sounds like you're describing pub-play, as that was pretty much what went on there, futile attempts to down a fade. Clanners went about trapping fades and shotgunning it to high heaven, but even then it was a damn powerful killing-machine.
  • GrapeVineGrapeVine Join Date: 2006-12-01 Member: 58803Members
    Fades in their current state may appear weak, but when people will be able to blink properly without terrible lag(some people might already) and aliens get upgrades such as Celerity it will be a whole different world. I'd imagine that fade in a competent players hands rape face almost as hard as NS1. Maybe even harder due to new blink mechanic.
  • BacillusBacillus Join Date: 2006-11-02 Member: 58241Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837283:date=Mar 15 2011, 09:06 PM:name=player)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (player @ Mar 15 2011, 09:06 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837283"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Sounds like you're describing pub-play, as that was pretty much what went on there, futile attempts to down a fade. Clanners went about trapping fades and shotgunning it to high heaven, but even then it was a damn powerful killing-machine.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    I never thought fades were that overpowered outside the pub play. Certainly aliens relied a lot on the meat shield ability, but in clan play you had every tool you needed to stop fades from being the killing machine until it got 2nd chamber upgrade (at which point the whole alien game grew immensely, killer fades or not).

I think the 3.2 blink slowdown solidified fade into a pretty nice position. It was still a powerful lifeform, but required decent support. If anything, I was bothered by the alien dependency on the fade tanking, not so much on its killing capabilities.
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1837288:date=Mar 15 2011, 05:20 PM:name=Bacillus)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bacillus @ Mar 15 2011, 05:20 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837288"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I never thought fades were that overpowered outside the pub play. Certainly aliens relied a lot on the meat shield ability, but in clan play you had every tool you needed to stop fades from being the killing machine until it got 2nd chamber upgrade (at which point the whole alien game grew immensely, killer fades or not).

I think the 3.2 blink slowdown solidified fade into a pretty nice position. It was still a powerful lifeform, but required decent support. If anything, I was bothered by the alien dependency on the fade tanking, not so much on its killing capabilities.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    This is a pretty damn near perfect description of ns1 fades in both pub and clan play.
  • HughHugh Cameraman San Francisco, CA Join Date: 2010-04-18 Member: 71444NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    Does anyone know what the 'lua binding layer' is? Or stacked based C++ objects? Sounds interesting...
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837269:date=Mar 15 2011, 02:44 PM:name=Runteh)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Runteh @ Mar 15 2011, 02:44 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837269"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think that the worries about the Fade are a good thing. It means that it is not the dominating class it never should have been. I do feel however that the secondary could be much more inspired though. The unique attacks of each alien are great, but the secondary attack for the Fade only leaves so much for the imagination in terms of offence - comparative to the primary attack.

It is exactly like the Focus upgrade in NS1, and this was under used and essentially useless. Yeah, you could get a kill in one bite. But this was offset by the fact that you attack half as fast, so essentially you are doing the same damage. Especially when it comes to larger and stronger units or on structures, it makes no difference.

In NS1 it was far too powerful, and the Onos whilst tough was too big a target and too slow to get away comparative to its effective use.

Personally I'd really like to see something a little more special for the secondary attack for the Fade. Something that added to the whole 'Fade experience' of blinking around the map and the stealth class it is destined to be. Perhaps some sort of movement based attack - perhaps a huge energy draining instant attack, that blinks you to the location, attacks, and then instantly blinks you back to your original location. I don't know?

As for the Onos, I hope it to be everything it should be. Like a Rhino running through a crowd of people.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

oooh, i just thought of something... but it wouldn't happen cuz it would need a new animation and those are outsourced and expensive. a 360 spin move where the fade throws out both blades and spins. it would cost the same energy as double stab but it would hit a range around him so it would be a little easier to hit something hard around you. that way jumping marines would be hit as long as the fade was close. it wouldn't have a movement restriction so it could be quickly spammed.

edit: and the spin animation would have the claws at neck height so that if it hit a marine and it was a killing blow, it would decapitate him and blood would shoot out and paint everything around.
  • TigTig Join Date: 2010-05-08 Member: 71674Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Silver
    <!--quoteo(post=1837302:date=Mar 15 2011, 07:51 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 15 2011, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone know what the 'lua binding layer' is? Or stacked based C++ objects? Sounds interesting...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

ill take a guess. lua binding might be customizable key rebinding system. stacked c++ objects might be an optimization for entities so they can easily run through collision detection and store data more efficiently?
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    Lua binding is in reference to the Lua game code <--> C++ engine interface.

So a faster binder layer for example means the lua game code can talk to the game engine quicker, as far as I understand it.
  • KuBaNKuBaN Join Date: 2002-11-16 Member: 8979Members, Constellation
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837302:date=Mar 15 2011, 08:51 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 15 2011, 08:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone know what the 'lua binding layer' is? Or stacked based C++ objects? Sounds interesting...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

TL;DR: They should both increase (or prevent further decline of) game performance.

Lua binding layer is referring to data binding. The Spark Engine is written in C++ while the game-specific code is written in Lua. As far as I understand, data binding would allow a connection between a C++ element and a (relevant) Lua element, such that if the two are connected and either changes, the corresponding element in the other language changes as well, keeping them synchronized. I have no experience with, but I can imagine it may clear up some performance issues that may be caused by slow, inconsistent or redundant data.

<a href="http://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/79-the-stack-and-the-heap/" target="_blank">Stack</a>-based C++ objects is a programming paradigm that I won't even try to explain.
  • douchebagatrondouchebagatron Custom member title Join Date: 2003-12-20 Member: 24581Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow
    Max's work is supposed to replace LuaBind, which from what I understand is pretty slow.

He mentioned somewhere (his twitter maybe?) that he's expecting it to be a pretty decently sized performance improvement, but won't know for sure until it's done.
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    "Delivered: Hear sounds through walls and from far away"

woo! this one bothered me for a while
  • lunsluns Join Date: 2010-12-05 Member: 75502Members
    i hope to see fixes for shotgun and flamethrower honestly. as for technical issues, I believe they are still working on those.

i've just noticed "heal spray damages marine buildings", why not bring back gorge self heal? or renamed bile bomb ability which can spread infestation through its splash and at the same time damage marine buildings. I guess gorge spamming heal spray on buildings looks more realistic?
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837329:date=Mar 16 2011, 12:52 PM:name=juice)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (juice @ Mar 16 2011, 12:52 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837329"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"Delivered: Hear sounds through walls and from far away"

woo! this one bothered me for a while<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Please direct me to the page that you read these updates, I forgot where!
  • LazerLazer Join Date: 2003-03-11 Member: 14406Members, Contributor, Constellation, NS2 Playtester
    <!--quoteo(post=1837336:date=Mar 15 2011, 10:30 PM:name=measles)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (measles @ Mar 15 2011, 10:30 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837336"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Please direct me to the page that you read these updates, I forgot where!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    <a href="http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress" target="_blank">http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/progress</a>

can be found on the main page as well
  • FocusedWolfFocusedWolf Join Date: 2005-01-09 Member: 34258Members
    edited March 2011
    <!--quoteo(post=1837302:date=Mar 15 2011, 07:51 PM:name=NS2HD)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (NS2HD @ Mar 15 2011, 07:51 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837302"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Does anyone know what the 'lua binding layer' is? Or stacked based C++ objects? Sounds interesting...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

The length of the answers depends on the audiences experience with programming. The important thing is it should improve performance, but it's hard to say how much things will improve but i'm guessing/hoping it will be a ######-ton of improvement simply because the server/client rely heavily on lua script, and anything that improves how that script runs should mean big improvements overall.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://twitter.com/max_mcguire" target="_blank">http://twitter.com/max_mcguire</a>
    Working on generating Lua binding code offline rather than using nasty compile time template meta-programming (i.e. luabind)
    @aDevilInMe It's my own system. Every time I've ventured from the "not invented here" mentality I've regretted it
    Initial tests show my binding layer is about 2-5x faster than luabind. Will take some more work before it's in game for a real test though<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

So, <a href="http://www.rasterbar.com/products/luabind.html" target="_blank">luabind</a> is a bridge between c++ and lua. It allows programmers to easily? expose classes/functions to a lua virtual machine so that lua script executed on that virtual machine can interact with the c++ stuff as if it was written in lua. The problem is luabind is very bloated and, besides really slowing done compile time due to its insane use of <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template_metaprogramming" target="_blank">template metaprogramming</a>, apparently max suspected/found it slows down the game/lua as well (not really a shocker considering the bloat).

A fun fact is Crytek, makers of the crysis games, use a custom-rolled lua-binding (same as what Max is doing). You can actually see source for an old version of it when you install this: <a href="http://www.crytekfiles.com/CrysisWars_ModSDK_SourceCode_v1.1.exe" target="_blank">http://www.crytekfiles.com/CrysisWars_ModS...ceCode_v1.1.exe</a> and from examining crysis 2 it's apparent that they still use it (possibly changed/updated/refactored now) in crysis 2. <== the point is what Max is doing is what Crytek did, and that should reassure everyone that it's <u>not!!</u> a waste of time :P

<strike>The second task "Integrate stack based C++ objects into Lua" looks like the devs want some way of interacting with <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(data_structure)" target="_blank">stacks</a> from lua. Seems like a sub-task to "Create optimized Lua binding layer".</strike>

See post #2031 for a more likely interpretation of the second task.
  • AegyAegy Join Date: 2004-09-21 Member: 31844Members, Constellation
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    Good thing they've changed release schedule, imagine waiting over the weekend with Valve out of reach :P

No need to rush the patch! The dedication alone is inspiring.
  • PlasmaPlasma Join Date: 2003-04-26 Member: 15855Members, Constellation, Squad Five Blue
    <!--quoteo(post=1837339:date=Mar 16 2011, 03:16 PM:name=FocusedWolf)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FocusedWolf @ Mar 16 2011, 03:16 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837339"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The second task "Integrate stack based C++ objects into Lua" looks like the devs want some way of interacting with <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_(data_structure)" target="_blank">stacks</a> from lua. Seems like a sub-task to "Create optimized Lua binding layer".<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I *think* this may be in reference to having things like Vector types on the stack (instead of being reference counted via the LuaGC?) so that the garbage collector does not have so much work to do all the time due to all of the vector math the game uses via Lua.
  • PapayasPapayas Join Date: 2010-07-01 Member: 72219Members
    I would just like to know what the things mean on the progress page?

Started
    Accepted
    Delivered

etc
  • measlesmeasles Join Date: 2007-02-26 Member: 60122Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837354:date=Mar 16 2011, 07:50 PM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Mar 16 2011, 07:50 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would just like to know what the things mean on the progress page?

Started
    Accepted
    Delivered

etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

I have NFI what the ladybug is for.. =X
  • WheeeeWheeee Join Date: 2003-02-18 Member: 13713Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    <!--quoteo(post=1837354:date=Mar 16 2011, 05:50 AM:name=Papayas)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Papayas @ Mar 16 2011, 05:50 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837354"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I would just like to know what the things mean on the progress page?

Started
    Accepted
    Delivered

etc<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

this question has been answered dozens of times in this very thread...
  • PsiWarpPsiWarp Gifted Gorge Richmond, B.C., Canada Join Date: 2010-08-28 Member: 73810Members
    edited March 2011
    @Papayas:

The order of events goes like this:

Unstarted - Not focusing on this particular task currently, usually just blank.
    Started - Speaks for itself.
    Finished - Most of the coding and assets required finished, needs testing.
    Delivered - Internally tested and ready for playtesting.
    Accepted - Playtested and added to patch.
    Rejected - Below expectation, needs more work done.

Star = Feature
    Ladybug = Insect (Bug)
    Cog = Chore
    Flag = Milestone
  • SkiddywinksSkiddywinks Join Date: 2011-01-12 Member: 77239Members
    So... guys.... where's my patch? :P

The last update on twitter was 13 hours ago. Have you hit some unexpected delays?
  • NurEinMenschNurEinMensch Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14056Members, Constellation
    It's called: Night
  • yimmasabiyimmasabi Join Date: 2006-11-03 Member: 58318Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837380:date=Mar 16 2011, 03:56 PM:name=Skiddywinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skiddywinks @ Mar 16 2011, 03:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So... guys.... where's my patch? :P

The last update on twitter was 13 hours ago. Have you hit some unexpected delays?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

If it is a patch for you, we cant download it :(( Hmmmm :D
  • EnceladusEnceladus Join Date: 2004-01-18 Member: 25442Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837380:date=Mar 16 2011, 04:56 PM:name=Skiddywinks)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Skiddywinks @ Mar 16 2011, 04:56 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837380"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->So... guys.... where's my patch? :P

The last update on twitter was 13 hours ago. Have you hit some unexpected delays?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Just finished testing NS2 Build 168. Putting together changelog and video now.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Could be the language barrier, but I can't find any clues in there that the patch has been send to valve ;)
  • juicejuice Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12886Members, Constellation
    <!--quoteo(post=1837348:date=Mar 16 2011, 03:22 AM:name=Plasma)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Plasma @ Mar 16 2011, 03:22 AM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837348"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I *think* this may be in reference to having things like Vector types on the stack (instead of being reference counted via the LuaGC?) so that the garbage collector does not have so much work to do all the time due to all of the vector math the game uses via Lua.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yup, the hitching from this is what makes my nightmares.
  • spellman23spellman23 NS1 Theorycraft Expert Join Date: 2007-05-17 Member: 60920Members
    <!--quoteo(post=1837310:date=Mar 15 2011, 07:04 PM:name=KuBaN)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KuBaN @ Mar 15 2011, 07:04 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1837310"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec--><a href="http://www.learncpp.com/cpp-tutorial/79-the-stack-and-the-heap/" target="_blank">Stack</a>-based C++ objects is a programming paradigm that I won't even try to explain.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Stacks are your friend.