Ns 2.0 Linux Server Support
joev Giving grief... With a smile. Join Date: 2002-07-20 Member: 977Members, Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Contributor, Constellation, Reinforced - Shadow Posts: 1,086
a quick few tips.Hi all.
Hopefully most of you are running the linux server with no problems.
For those who are having problems, here are a few tips.
1. When unzipping the file, make sure you do NOT use ascii CRLF->LF conversion (i.e. the -a flag of unzip) or run dos2unix style programs over the server files. We've seen some operators have problems with this.
2. The dedicated server .zip file only includes the HLDS 126.96.36.199 compatible binary. If you are using HLDS 188.8.131.52 then you need to get the updated ns_i386.so.gz that Flayra posted last night. Some mirror sites are picking this up now.
3. We're aware of problems on FreeBSD. Note that FreeBSD is not a target platform for us, nor is it a target platform for HLDS. We do not officially support FreeBSD, however we will do our utmost to help FreeBSD ops get up and running as we recognise that it's important to you.
4. The server binary is compiled with i686 optimisations. If you are trying to run NS on a Pentium or lower then this is why you are having problems (one might suggest you have bigger problems in life if you're trying to run servers on pentium class chips )
5. If you're reporting a problem then we need some basic information from you as follows:
OS Version (Distribution - and ff it's not 'stock' we need to know any modifications you have made.)
Version of the ns_i386.so that you are running (i.e. stock or the new one).
I will be idling in #nsserver, the official ns server operators channel on gamesnet IRC all day today and I'll help out anyone I can. Please keep in mind though that this is a busy time for us and If I'm slow in responding it's because I'm dealing with lots of other issues. I will try to help anyone who has problems provided they can show a modicum of patience and of course, common sense
Questions like: "how do i run a lunix server?!!? OMG h3lp meh PLZ!" will be ignored or may even get a less than friendly response (hear that Monse? )
Joe Vaughan ([email protected]) -- Old foagie -- Bragging rights: Development Director of Natural Selection I