Have Tactics Left Ns With 2.0?

2»

Comments

• chowderchowder Join Date: 2003-01-28 Member: 12883Members
    <!--QuoteBegin--AU-Scorpion+Oct 20 2003, 11:09 AM--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td><b>QUOTE</b> (AU-Scorpion @ Oct 20 2003, 11:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteEBegin-->The true difference for me is that now winning is bland, and losing is beyond aggravating.  I believe this is due to a resource model that does not allow for flexibility on game size (Smaller than normal games favor alien too much, larger games favor marines too much.), the faster style of play (that allows for no mistakes and increases the learning curve to a rediculous level making it hard on new players and near impossible for new commanders to get the hang of things), and extra overhauling and balancing that is rather clan play biased (alienating the larger group of players who want a "fun" game not a stress induced hemorrage of the brain.)<!--QuoteEnd--></td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'><!--QuoteEEnd-->
    Agree.

The following comment focusses on pubs, where a game derives it's player base and popularity:
    As an extention of the first statement, winning/losing is more of a forgone conclusion in 2.0 vs 1.04. Said differently, it's easier to tell if you're going to win/lose in 2.0. What's worse, despite that predictability, the conclusion is still a long time away. This critical element alone, has driven F4'ing to all-time highs. Boy that's fun and good for game...
    Win/lose, in 1.04 endgames were short and sweet for both aliens/marines. Any aggravation from losing was quickly quashed by the commencement of a new round. 2.0 seems to relish in exacerbating the agony of defeat.
    With 1.04, everyone focussed on complaints re: JP/HMG. I still don't see why that wasn't simply addressed in a targeted tweak.
    IMO, we're farther from a "fun" game b/c on balance, we've traded one complaint for a series of them:
    -gorg more of a chore than a critical service
    -diminishing of hives as defining moments
    -increased reliance on AI elements (OCs, turrets, seiges) diminishing reliance on human skill (ha lackeys instead of jp artists, lerk gas turrets instead of lerk-bite/dart artists)
    Fun:
    -lerk biting
    -jetpacks, not jumppacks
    -webbing and babbling marines to death
    Not Fun:
    -building turret farms
    -being devoured
    -fairly useless things like pheremones, charge, leap
    I could go on, but suffice it to say:
    a) if i were new to NS and started with 2.x, i'd think it was neat.
    b) since i've been with NS since the beginning, i find 2.0 lacking as marine, any alien (except blink-fade), and commander. granted, it all looks better, but that's not worth much. people play games based on how fun they are.