an Honest opinion to Below Zero

LutzkhieLutzkhie Philippines Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259634Members
I got the game from some time now but I haven't played it yet until the Seaworthy update came I thought it'll be complete with the ending and all but sadly no ending yet. But I was already invested so I continued the game, build my base. And I cant stop comparing the original Subnautica to Below Zero, Subnautica Below Zero lacks something that only the original had and one of those is in the exploration part. In the first Subnautica exploring deeper becomes scarier and in order to finish the game we have to go deeper, we have to overcome those fear and that's one of the best thing about the game which sadly I cant feel with Below Zero, there is no real threat except the leviathans deep below. Second is the map size I'm not sure about how big Below Zero map is but it feels like its very small no wonder they removed the Cyclops. But the best part about it is the new base building parts and the game improvements including the fully voiced storyline.
Getting to the endgame I realized it would have been better if Below Zero was just a DLC and integrate the new base building parts and improvement to the first Subnautica. Honestly if a modder add the new parts from Below Zero to the first Subnautica and I would rather play it than Below Zero, don't get me wrong Below Zero is a good game just not better than the original, so Im excited for Subnautica 3 Dead Zone (I'm naming your next game lets go deeper)

just my opinion and here's my end-game base
poqz1oh30cfr.jpg

Comments

• rickee000rickee000 Join Date: 2021-03-06 Member: 268118Members
    I'm still early in the game and loving it so far but I'll temper my expectations after reading this post. The exploration and discovering new huge creatures was the main memorable part of the 1st game for me, so was banking on Below Zero being much of the same in that department!
  • LutzkhieLutzkhie Philippines Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259634Members
    rickee000 wrote: »
    I'm still early in the game and loving it so far but I'll temper my expectations after reading this post. The exploration and discovering new huge creatures was the main memorable part of the 1st game for me, so was banking on Below Zero being much of the same in that department!

I agree the exploration truly is the best of a Subnautica game especially going deeper as you overcome that fear you'll realize there is beauty deep down below
  • rickee000rickee000 Join Date: 2021-03-06 Member: 268118Members
    Beauty and terror, often all at once! The last time I enjoyed this much of the 'exploring an alien planet mostly solo' vibe was Metroid Prime 1. What a game that was! Really hope we get Subnautica 3 (maybe on next gen) and see Metroid Prime 4 soon...
  • Remedy85Remedy85 NY Join Date: 2019-04-26 Member: 252581Members
    edited March 2021
    That's one heck of a base! Nice job!

I agree in the deep exploration -- I got as far as you can go before this last update, and my biggest disappointments were vehicle balance and the mostly empty above ground experience.

The Sea Truck is all you need, and the modules could be cool but they are more of a hindrance than benefit.

I saw in the latest update they changed the Prawn Suit -- hopefully it feels more useful now. Haven't tried it yet.
  • LutzkhieLutzkhie Philippines Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259634Members
    Remedy85 wrote: »
    That's one heck of a base! Nice job!

I agree in the deep exploration -- I got as far as you can go before this last update, and my biggest disappointments were vehicle balance and the mostly empty above ground experience.

The Sea Truck is all you need, and the modules could be cool but they are more of a hindrance than benefit.

I saw in the latest update they changed the Prawn Suit -- hopefully it feels more useful now. Haven't tried it yet.

Prawn Suit seems nice with the new boost upgrade also I thought there was no grappling arm but there was and it can only be found on sea monkey nest
  • inwaterinairinwaterinair Sweden Join Date: 2019-01-14 Member: 248730Members
    Below Zero feels smaller to me, too - not sure if it really is, the surface that can be explored is quite large, but it's not that engaging, still feels more as a chore to go there, even though they added some very nice flora and the iceworms... Maybe one reason for the game appearing so small is that it's very easy to orient oneself. In Subnautica 1 I still can get lost, in BelowZero I know every nook and cranny underwater...
  • HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    welp it is smaller.... and more based on the Story..... sadly they don't plan a third game yet.... but I love BZ anyways :smiley:
  • CaptainFearlessCaptainFearless CO, US Join Date: 2016-12-14 Member: 224941Members
    welp it is smaller.... and more based on the Story..... sadly they don't plan a third game yet.... but I love BZ anyways :smiley:

Damn, I hope they make a new game and don't go money grabbing mode