Subnautica: Below Zero State of the Project (May 2020) - Subnautica

2»

Comments

• nuggetsonmytoastnuggetsonmytoast Canadá BC Join Date: 2020-07-24 Member: 262734Members
    I’m so excited for below zero to come out on console. Although it is taking quite some time, but I have no doubt it’ll be worth it. :smiley:
  • welshman1971welshman1971 Uk Join Date: 2020-03-07 Member: 258569Members
    Please for the love of God , get rid of that new PDA voice and swap back to the original .. that has to be the worst change you have made yet.
  • SammyBoyE621SammyBoyE621 Site 19 Join Date: 2020-08-03 Member: 262986Members
    with all the changes and such.. i wonder if we'll see any new large creatures. i really hope the Frozen mega levi will have a place in the game. well, atleast an unfrozen living and active version
  • elfcrisiselfcrisis Join Date: 2017-05-13 Member: 230466Members
    BrenWynth wrote: »
    Any idea when there will be game prompts to get on track. As a new SBZ player I am totally lost with no direction. !!

Once you reach a certain point and get your, um, "companion" the prompts are much better than they used to be. But yeah I feel you on the lack of prompts in the early game before that point. Looking forward to having those back.
    sbrewer wrote: »
    SnowFox mechanics need a serious overhaul. That is the one thing that makes me motion sick in the whole game.

SnowFox still makes me motion sick, too. I can't use it at all and end up stomping around in my Prawn suit instead.
    PS will you put an multiplayer mod ? Because this games will be better with an multiplayer mod, think about it.

I'd give up on this one. They've stated many many times that Subnautica will be a single-player only game. That was their intent, and that was the way they built it.

There was a project by players to make a multi-player mod for the original game, but they basically had to rewrite portions of the code entirely to make it work. Dunno if they ever finished it, but I wouldn't hold your breath for anything like it for Below Zero. It was a massive undertaking that required serious developer experience, and that is hard to come by.

Sorry to be a downer about this but I didn't want you to get your hopes up about it only to be disappointed later. You can be disappointed right now, instead! Or something. c.c
    Hey Devs, I wanted to say that I'm really enjoying the updates and changes to the game. The new intro gave me a heart-pounding thrill of fear and excitement when I first saw it and I was really pulled in to the story. This time around, I wanted to see where this was going, whereas the original story just didn't grab me.

I like that the wall lockers have much more space now, thank you for that. And thank you for fixing the flappy hatch on the Seatruck when you exit. That drove me bonkers.

I noticed the change to the propulsion cannon. I don't think it's going to affect gameplay all that much, but I am curious what drove the decision to make that change.

The new textures for the shipwrecks and the overall polish to the environment look fantastic. Well done with those things.

I like the new PDA voice, kind of reminds me of the computer voice from Overwatch, which I also enjoyed. And while I miss the dry, Hitchhiker's Guide-like humor of the original, I don't think it would fit in this setting. In the original you're just some schmoe, shipwrecked and bumbling your way through survival and escape, and that humor was a great addition, I loved it.

Below Zero feels a lot more serious, since Robin is there for a reason and by her own volition. She's a woman on a mission and is willing to risk life and limb to see it through. It's a much different vibe than the original, but I'm having a great time seeing the new story unfold, even without the voice acting.

Keep up the good work.
  • SreesadyaSreesadya Andhra Pradesh Join Date: 2020-07-18 Member: 262605Members
    Good Job guys! I am very happy to see all the updates. Thank you for sharing
  • HowardEHowardE Tampa Join Date: 2020-08-04 Member: 263008Members
    How I can play it too?
  • MythicOrangeMythicOrange Vernon bc Join Date: 2020-08-20 Member: 263422Members
    I am super excited for this game but I really dont wanna hop in until its finished. I'm wondering if you think it'll be done in 2020? I mean I'm fine with waiting of course. I just wanna know when to expect it. Heck I'm even speed running subnautica rn haha I need more subnautica hahahaha
  • JPLJPL Join Date: 2020-08-20 Member: 263429Members
    edited August 2020
    I played back in April, and then started a new game for the Stranger Pings update. Really enjoyed it both times, I'm excited to see how the story concludes. I think it's similar enough to the first game to feel like a worthy sequel, but I like that the story is much more personal and illuminates more of what's going on / what went on in the world.

I have a grab bag of feedback here, some small stuff and one larger thing.

For what it's worth, both times I used Steam Proton to play from Manjaro Linux, and the game performs quite well. Subnautica 1 runs quite nicely as well, not sure if that's due to recent improvements yall made for the console ports or what, but it's great!

Bugs:
    • Geothermal vents down in Koppa Mining Base don't actually alter the water temperature, but the Geothermal Power Plant fragments beind down there led me to believe I could build one down there. I was dismayed to make it down there with just enough air and resources to build everything and find my plant wasn't generating any power! To be clear, I wanted to build a base there to have a midway stop for oxygen while collecting the Prawn Suit fragments, which seemed like a viable if creative use of base building.
    • Table coral spots that I've harvested from still show up as Scanner Room radar icons.

Suggestions:
    • Given that the Seatruck + modules is a vehicle you can stand inside, it would be nice to be able to use the repair tool on it from inside, instead of having to pop out the hatch to do so. (But maybe this is intentional? If the damage is always on the exterior, maybe use some decals or deco meshes to show this and have them fade away / seal up as you repair.)
    • Seatruck piloting HUD icons - icon for the Prawn Docking Module should look different if it has a Prawn docked vs doesn't.
    • It would be nice to be able to access the Prawn suit's storage without undocking it from the seatruck docking module.
    • Once I found each of the architect artifact sites Alan gave me, I really wanted to be able to rename those beacons so I could distinguish between them ("Sculpture", etc). As is, I turned them off when I found each one, and had to use my own beacons to create meaningful bookmarks. The overall value of Alan's beacons for player direction is definitely there, though.
    • This is true for the first Subnautica as well, but I noticed that when playing with the "invisible" dev cheat active (in Creative mode or otherwise), hostile creatures will still attack vehicles, including ones the player is piloting. I started a new creative mode game in S1 just to revisit that world and explore, and I stopped playing because it was too stressful when the Reaper grabbed my Seamoth! I maintain a resource on playing games without combat called Game Tourism where I list your games' Creative mode, if this behavior is 1) unintentional, 2) an easy fix it'd be nice to be able to remove that caveat about being attacked.

One higher level subjective feedback item:
    • I'm finding that while exploring I stay inside my seatruck a lot more in this game compared to the first. Lots of areas with large dangerous creatures that would kill me in short order, whereas S1 had more medium-sized creatures I knew I could survive a confrontation with. Part of it is just the sheer size of the
      Cryptosuchus and Squidshark
      . Also with the sole exception of the seatruck defense upgrade I feel like I don't have any good creature deterrent tools in B0; I never found the Propulsion Cannon upgrade that turns it into an effective creature-b-gone. Being able to distract Snow Stalkers with snowballs and scare them with flares is great (if not very discoverable), I'd love more things like that for various underwater threats.

Thanks for listening, Subnautica team. You've done great work and I'm eager to see what's ahead. From one game dev to another I know how weirdly hard it's been working through this pandemic! Best of luck getting to the finish line.