UPDATE 333 - METRO - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited June 2020 in NS2 General Discussion

imageUPDATE 333 - METRO - Natural Selection 2

Eclipse Tower is stained with the blood of Kharra and Marine soldiers. The battle was brought home in the name of “scientific research,” deemed necessary to protect our future. We...

Read the full story here

Comments

• KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited June 2020
    bump.
    Good looking map (and vents), and nice to see drifters now patrolling many points.
  • Kouji_SanKouji_San Sr. Hινε Uρкεερεг - EUPT Deputy The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-05-13 Member: 16271Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue
    Looks amazing, has a bit of Natural Selection vibe mixed with Cyberpunk 2077 everyone's hyped about
  • ZycaRZycaR Join Date: 2002-11-12 Member: 8263Members
    edited June 2020
    reporting several crashed of servers in like first 10-15min. It was ns2large, but also normal servers with regular size of players.
    Unfortunately I was not able to finish most of match bcos of that. Even if I switch servers several times.
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    I have not had a chance to roam around, but I am excited! I cannot believe you guys pulled this off. It looks very pretty and Jambi has finally be given the art justice it deserves. Sorry for not having the talent to do it right the first time that it took a team of people to fix :D
  • kuruptkurupt Join Date: 2005-03-24 Member: 46347Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    Anyone having any issue with this current error message!

Your game files do not match the servers!
    I did remove all mods and verify the game files!
  • white_jaguarwhite_jaguar Join Date: 2010-04-17 Member: 71439Members, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Gold
    The new map is awesome! The only complaint I have is that you did too good a job on the secret room, and now everyone is playing the maze game instead of playing a match! ;)
    I love the fact that it has the orignal feel of Jambi, but the look and style of an Urban cyberpunk.
  • WiseChoicesWiseChoices Seattle, WA Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200112Members
    Hello! I'm hearing from a few people they are getting FPS drops on ns2_metro. I checked the draw calls on the map (console r_stats) and found some rooms as high as 4000 draw calls, especially when you look up a bit.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    4000 draw calls is nothing, some areas have 5k lol
    Unfortunately this map has a much bigger skybox and higher ceilings, which add to render cost.
    On top of that long view distances and big rooms.
    It's kinda impossible to make this map run as smooth as smaller maps, yet we already spent plenty of hours to improve performance (yes it was even worse).
  • WobWob Join Date: 2005-04-08 Member: 47814Members, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    Firstly, hi XTCman! Hope you’re doing well and thank you for the original Jambi.

Secondly, what a wonderful job UWE has done for this map. It’s absolutely fantastic. It’s brilliant. Really. I sincerely love it. It’s so much fun on public.

You’ve kept the spirit of Jambi, you’ve improved a lot of the awkward geometry and removed a lot of silly invulnerable spots. You’ve reimagined some of the rooms with great skill and thoughtfulness like organ donation now lobby. The vent systems you’ve replaced are immersive and sleek. My initial impression is that you haven’t exposed any weaknesses particularly around oxy/x/security (I’m not yet familiar with their metro names) and in fact you’ve helped alien early game in those rooms without affecting the delicate mid-late game plays.

The rooms are fun to play in with good engagements and the map feels balanced throughout the round.

It also looks stunning and the imagination and creativity that has gone into making this map is incredible!

This is my favourite map and I’m sure that’s not just the novelty effect speaking.

Please can the same people get involved with docking? That map needs reimagining with new ideas.

Great job guys! I hope you’re proud of your work!
  • xtcmenxtcmen Join Date: 2004-04-20 Member: 28040Members, Squad Five Blue
    Hi @Wob ! I never played much of Jambi ironically but I love the new map. That team really blew it out of the park. Handshakes to that whole team. Also love my catch phrase. Moving Tomorrow.... TODAY!

Also to the rest of the UWE team that is working on the game, NS2 is in a really enjoyable state. After playing again after many years, I am having a blast. The community is also pretty cool! Everyone has been nice.

• .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    Congrats on metro! I really like the aesthetics, and charging down on human's Street as an onos is another feeling :D
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    edited July 2020
    Wob wrote: »

Please can the same people get involved with docking? That map needs reimagining with new ideas.

Its an entirely different problem. Metro copies almost exactly the layout of Jambi, a successful map on its own. You're not fixing Cafeteria and Courtyard with new rooms. Much less rooms that play similarly detailed differently. There's been at least four different official versions now? The layout doesn't work. We'd be better off with Tram as an addition to the Summit/Jambi templates or making something new.

As an aside, can any of the devs look into technical issues when you eventually read the forums that average maybe a post a day? If its not too much trouble of course. You say to go to discord, but there was supposedly no response there either after I directed someone there. I think its easier to read forum posts instead of chat which easily gets buried. Maybe consider just looking into the technical support forums?

Or maybe you can just nominate someone we can ping when making a technical support post.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Aeglos wrote: »
    Wob wrote: »

Its an entirely different problem. Metro copies almost exactly the layout of Jambi, a successful map on its own. You're not fixing Cafeteria and Courtyard with new rooms. Much less rooms that play similarly detailed differently. There's been at least four different official versions now? The layout doesn't work. We'd be better off with Tram as an addition to the Summit/Jambi templates or making something new.

As an aside, can any of the devs look into technical issues when you eventually read the forums that average maybe a post a day? If its not too much trouble of course. You say to go to discord, but there was supposedly no response there either after I directed someone there. I think its easier to read forum posts instead of chat which easily gets buried. Maybe consider just looking into the technical support forums?

Or maybe you can just nominate someone we can ping when making a technical support post.

There is a tech support channel on the discord now for this very reason, posts were being lost in the backlog of general conversation.