New Subnautica (1) Alien Base floor bug- serious

khelly223khelly223 Texas Join Date: 2020-02-15 Member: 257919Members
There is a new bug in the original Subnautica involving base floors. The PC will sink into the floor up to the knees. This same bug seems be causing even worse problems with the PRAWN suit. The feet seem to sink slightly into the floor. This causes the PRAWN to get stuck and disables the jets. The grappling arm still partially works and can sometimes be used to slowly move the PRAWN. The bug seems to be associated with ramps. I made the mistake of restarting the game (I play HC), and when the game loaded, I fell through the floor and HAD TO START A NEW GAME, as it was unrecoverable. This bug is clearly visible in the new youtube video posted by Gab Smolders, though she did not quite understand what happened. Look at time stamp 45:50 .

Comments

• SAUnknownSoldierSAUnknownSoldier Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2482Members
    I am also experiencing this bug, vanilla game on PC. Unfortunately I saved on land in PRAWN suit and now when loading I just fall through the floor forever. 48+ hour save game is unusable. If anyone knows of any console commands that might help please let me know. I tried WARPME but can't swim anywhere after I'm back in base, I just fall to the sea floor on contact with water. I can drive a SeaMoth around but that's about it.
  • SAUnknownSoldierSAUnknownSoldier Join Date: 2002-11-01 Member: 2482Members
    I was able to fix my game by using WARPME to get back to the lifepod, then WARPFORWARD towards where my PRAWN beacon was showing - 1500+ meters away. When I warped forward I ended up in water and was suddenly swimming. Then I used GOTO to get back to the facility I was last in and walked back to my PRAWN. So far everything is working properly again (although still with the glitch PRAWN base walking, so I'm just leaving it out in the water). Hopefully this helps someone else who got stuck in the falling-through-the-world save loop.
  • benzymebenzyme UK Join Date: 2020-04-23 Member: 260326Members
    I encountered this too. I am playing the Xbox Game Pass version on PC.

This is my first play through and aside from a few minor glitches here and there the game has been excellent. I first encountered this particular issue when I got to the Alien Power Facility - the prawn suit wouldn't move at all as soon as I entered the facility and had to use the grappling arm to fix it and could eventually move in the facility. When I exited I then observed the 'submerged to the knees' issue.

I encountered it again when I got to the Primary Containment Facility. Happened most of the time and had to use the grappling arm to move. Reloading my save seemed to work for a few minutes before it would start happening again. Ramps definitely seem to have something to do with it, as does entering and exiting the Prawn suit.
  • maligatormaligator Join Date: 2020-05-04 Member: 260692Members
    edited May 2020
    Hi Dev Team !

I encountered the same bug, playing the Steam version on PC (build id: 4556365).

The first issue occured in the Power Facility : prawn suit stuck in a wall. After a save and a restart : an infernal fall loop. I managed to recover from it by leaving the prawn suit before reaching the lava castle floor. I died after falling to the floor (even if I was in the water, the game considered I was not in), then I respawned in the lifepod and used GOTO to get back to the facility. The prawn suit was stuck in sit position in lava castle's water, stuck in a not-in-water state, even after entering and leaving it many times. After multiple attempts to get it back to the facility, I had to remove all of its upgrades and move it into the lava, waited for its destruction, then got a new one with SPAWN command.

The next issue occured in the Primary Containment Facility : prawn suit stuck in the floor. Same workaround as described by @benzyme , grappling arm used to move again.

This is a very frustuating bug. It seriously slowed me down in the story's completion (after 60 hours of a very pleasant game).

I also encountered the 'submerged to the knees' bug in these 2 alien facilities.

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • The_Cow_GodThe_Cow_God Vineyard Haven Join Date: 2020-05-05 Member: 260694Members
    same, I saved game in prison and it launched me through the map.
    eventually, after dying, my character was reset and my prawn suit returned from orbit, but it does not function correctly, it acts like it's on land at all times.
  • The_Cow_GodThe_Cow_God Vineyard Haven Join Date: 2020-05-05 Member: 260694Members
    so it can jump and the grappling arm has limited capabilities.
  • ThePlasMasterThePlasMaster Ukraine Join Date: 2020-05-13 Member: 261002Members
    yeah it was really annoying to me and i kept forgetting. hope this gets fixed sooner or later
  • SvicideHotlineSvicideHotline Join Date: 2020-05-16 Member: 261080Members
    Yeah, I am having the same issue. Look, I get it. The devs have their priorities, and their resources going toward this game is not all it used to be with Below Zero being in development, but I hope they fix this in the next patch. I understand the bug is not totally game breaking and has many workarounds, but it is still very annoying and it really does discourage me from wanting to play late game because this bug is just such pain to deal with. I am hoping a mod or someone at Unknown Worlds reads these threads and can give us some insight on their planned fixes. Surely they have some kind of list to work with, given the last patch was like 4 months ago and all. I really do love the game but damn; two years since 1.0 launch and we still have bugs like this...
  • voodoojedizinvoodoojedizin USA Join Date: 2020-05-18 Member: 261148Members
    I'm with everyone else that has posted here.
    This is almost a game breaking bug and should have been taken care of immediately.
    The developers should spend some time, fixing bug's instead of ignoring them for so long.
  • johnajohna Phoenix, AZ Join Date: 2020-05-18 Member: 261149Members
    Same here. Had to use the grappling arm to "drag" the PRAWN suit around the alien bases.
  • OctobooOctoboo UK Join Date: 2020-05-20 Member: 261206Members
    Don't mind me, I'm just creating a post because I can't create a topic without first have a post.
  • johnjoejayjohnjoejay Los Angeles Join Date: 2020-05-26 Member: 261378Members
    Im playing on the steam version for Mac and I had the same problem in places such as the passage after the anti-gravity free fall elevator in the quarantine enforcement platform as well as in the main alien research facility with ramps and when i am too close to the alien artifacts. I tried to use the grappling arm to drag the prawn suit, but most of the time it either passes through walls or hits invisible walls and barely pulls me. When I exit the prawn suit, the suit doesn't lower down as its supposed to, rather it stays up but I for some reason get shorter and closer to the ground. That was one of the 2 things that frustrated me when i played the game.
  • ChicotChicot Join Date: 2020-06-05 Member: 261660Members
    khelly223 wrote: »
    There is a new bug in the original Subnautica involving base floors. The PC will sink into the floor up to the knees. This same bug seems be causing even worse problems with the PRAWN suit. The feet seem to sink slightly into the floor. This causes the PRAWN to get stuck and disables the jets. The grappling arm still partially works and can sometimes be used to slowly move the PRAWN. The bug seems to be associated with ramps. I made the mistake of restarting the game (I play HC), and when the game loaded, I fell through the floor and HAD TO START A NEW GAME, as it was unrecoverable. This bug is clearly visible in the new youtube video posted by Gab Smolders, though she did not quite understand what happened. Look at time stamp 45:50 .

A variant of this bug almost caused me to ragequit today. I'd saved the game while in my prawn in the quarantine facility. During play, the prawn had sunk to it's knees and whenever I left it I seemed to go into midget mode (probably the player is sinking while not in the prawn too). While annoying, this didn't seem to be much of a hindrance. However, on loading the game the prawn would instantly starting sinking continuously through the floor. I got to 2000 metres before I pulled the plug and reloaded (fortunately I didn't die for some reason). After much trial and error, I managed to hit exit to get out of my prawn as soon as it loaded and things seemed ok. There did also seem to be some strange problem in that I couldn't get out of the moonpool while swimming in it (maybe related or not) but I went for a swim, eventually got out and went back to the prawn that was now standing correctly. However, while walking out of the facility the prawn managed to get wedged into the floor. I tried every direction, jumpjets but nothing could get it moving again. In the end, I managed to get out and give it a blast with the repulsion cannon to get it moving again. There is quite clearly a major issue with saving/loading. Almost without fail on loading, all habitats lose power and then have it restored when the game starts. Even worse habitats connected to thermal plants lose the connection and don't restart. I have to manually restart them by deconstructing the power transmitter and then reconstructing it. I honestly don't know what weird loading system they are using to cause these issues but they really should be fixed by now.

I realise the devs are hard at work on Below Zero but, the fact is, some of these bugs are basically class A bugs (game ending) and should not be present in a game so long after full launch. What they need to keep in mind is that people playing Subnautica now are potential customers for Below Zero. Personally, my enthusiasm for Below Zero has gone from "Can't wait" to "I'm not sure if I'll bother".
  • Slartibartfast42Slartibartfast42 Join Date: 2020-06-05 Member: 261667Members

A variant of this bug almost caused me to ragequit today. I'd saved the game while in my prawn in the quarantine facility. During play, the prawn had sunk to it's knees and whenever I left it I seemed to go into midget mode (probably the player is sinking while not in the prawn too). While annoying, this didn't seem to be much of a hindrance. However, on loading the game the prawn would instantly starting sinking continuously through the floor. I got to 2000 metres before I pulled the plug and reloaded (fortunately I didn't die for some reason). After much trial and error, I managed to hit exit to get out of my prawn as soon as it loaded and things seemed ok. There did also seem to be some strange problem in that I couldn't get out of the moonpool while swimming in it (maybe related or not) but I went for a swim, eventually got out and went back to the prawn that was now standing correctly. However, while walking out of the facility the prawn managed to get wedged into the floor. I tried every direction, jumpjets but nothing could get it moving again. In the end, I managed to get out and give it a blast with the repulsion cannon to get it moving again. There is quite clearly a major issue with saving/loading. Almost without fail on loading, all habitats lose power and then have it restored when the game starts. Even worse habitats connected to thermal plants lose the connection and don't restart. I have to manually restart them by deconstructing the power transmitter and then reconstructing it. I honestly don't know what weird loading system they are using to cause these issues but they really should be fixed by now.

I realise the devs are hard at work on Below Zero but, the fact is, some of these bugs are basically class A bugs (game ending) and should not be present in a game so long after full launch. What they need to keep in mind is that people playing Subnautica now are potential customers for Below Zero. Personally, my enthusiasm for Below Zero has gone from "Can't wait" to "I'm not sure if I'll bother".

Same problems here. I'm at the Primary Containment Facility and kept getting stuck in the prawn suit. I opted to explore without it but realized that would be difficult when I found the aquarium. I went back to where I left my prawn at the entrance of the facility. I saved since the suit was still working, but got stuck immediately trying to take it up the first ramp. When I reloaded I started falling through the world infinitely.
    After much trial and error, I managed to hit exit to get out of my prawn as soon as it loaded and things seemed ok.

Thanks for posting this, it worked on my save. Hopefully I'll be able to get through this with the repulsion cannon. -.-' Won't be saving inside the facility again.
  • dsgnethudsgnethu Berlin Join Date: 2020-06-08 Member: 261710Members
    I hope the devs will fix this, but this is a serious bug. The PRAWN really get stuck in alien bases, where there is no water.

For everyone who are playing this great game, if you get stuck in alien bases (the PRAWN stops moving), do the following (works 100%):
    - Exit PRAWN
    - Save game
    - Exit to main menu
    - Load game
    - The PRAWN should be working

Other tips like delete this and that in the savegame will actually ruin the game state, don't do that.
  • ChicotChicot Join Date: 2020-06-05 Member: 261660Members
    The problem with saving in alien bases is that this can lead to the even worse problem of falling (forever!) through the fall on loading that myself and others have encountered. The safest way I have found to deal with getting stuck in the prawn is to get out and blast it with the repulsion cannon (assuming you have it). This always (in my experience) gets it moving again. Really there is no excuse for this not getting fixed. It's not even as if taking the prawn into alien bases is unexpected behaviour as the only way to mine the ion cell node is to use the drillarm on the prawn.
  • DirtyCordobaDirtyCordoba Join Date: 2020-06-17 Member: 261920Members
    If you load a saved game while in the prawn suit and it glitches, spam the E button while the game is loading and you will exit the prawn suit before you fall through the map. Also, if the prawn suit gets stuck in an alien base, exit the suit and exit the base or go through a portal and come back into the base.
  • mgood86mgood86 Michigan Join Date: 2020-07-11 Member: 262481Members
    I just had the Prawn Suit issue in the Primary Containment Facility. I was glitch warped out, pulled through walls, water, ground space to death beyond 10000 meters. Restarted my game, same thing. Figured out the spamming the E button to exit the suit. It still killed me and took me to my pod, and sent my Prawn Suit to the Floating Island Alien Arch. Now, after getting it back, the suit doesn't work properly. I cannot use my Jet Pack or Grapple Arm attachments properly. When I warp it more often then not warps me into space again, killing me, or dropping me in the middle of the ocean outside of my Prawn Suit. If I have to make another Prawn Suit, and it still doesn't work properly, I will not finish the game.

If this is how the developers respond to our requests for assistance with these bugs, which I see as not helping at all, why would I buy the next game, or any game from this company? They need to step up and help us.
  • GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
    I've redone three individual playthroughs in a row that each time when the PRAWN suit is in a Precursor building, the suit becomes "locked" in place, and when you exit the suit, you seem to be slightly clipped into the ground. Though you are still able to move, the character model size seems massively shrunk down, or you may actually be clipped into the ground about 2/3 of the character height in. I've successfully recreated twice with the following steps and it has occurred multiple times by walking around the Alien Facilities in PRAWN:
    1. Go to the Alien Power Facility
    2. Activate the teleporter
    3. Get into PRAWN
    4. Go through the teleporter
    5. Make your way to the building internal "Moonpool"
    6. When you get near to the door way the PRAWN locks into place and cannot move at all. When exiting the prawn, the suit does not return to a "crouching" idle position as normal on dry land.
    **Note** Character is able to enter and exit the PRAWN but when outside of it, eye level seems to be about even with the floor.

This same effect occurred while walking through the Alien Research Facility and the Sea Empress Containment Building.

Troubleshooting performed:
    Verified that this is occurring in multiple "Dry" Alien facilities
    Above steps occurred again after restoring the game from a previous save point
    Recreated on new playthroughs
    Attempted Warp and Movement console commands while in PRAWN and no effect (though I'm not 100% familiar with all console commands so syntax may have been incorrect. No error messages though)

System Information:
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700K CPU @ 4.20GHz, 4201 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
    Platform: Steam
    Titles: Subnautica (Though reports seems to indicate Below Zero as well)
    Graphics: Name:NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti
    Total Physical Memory 16.0 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 18.3 GB
  • tirsdentirsden MD, USA Join Date: 2021-01-17 Member: 266937Members
    I found a janky workaround, when coming from one of the four teleport rooms and you'll want to have the jetpack upgrade for the Prawn. Skip the ramp going down by jumping off the balcony, and then bunny-hop your way across the floor by moving forward only when in a jump. Stand still by the node and mine it, then jump your way back to the ramp room and I was able to skip the ramp again with some ungraceful jumping and use of the grappling hook to get up onto the balcony. I jumped the rest of the way out just in case, even though I hadn't gotten stuck on the floor at the portal-path level (six save reloads into trying to make this work without getting mysteriously stuck to the containment base floor).
  • DendrahlDendrahl Florida Join Date: 2021-03-18 Member: 268378Members
    I have the problem as well even in 2021. I found that if you use the grappling arm on the Prawn Suit it will pull you out of being stuck. You should be able to move after that normally. The issue will continue to happen so just keep using the grappling arm until the Devs finally get around to fixing it. Hope this helps.
  • pixelcrusher92pixelcrusher92 Kentucky Join Date: 2021-03-23 Member: 268437Members
    I've had a problem like this but happening around the thermal plant. My player and prawn act like they are NOT in the water even though its meant to be a filled area, I've tried resetting the game and its not fixing.
  • Ore9onWarriorOre9onWarrior Join Date: 2021-04-07 Member: 268870Members
    Hi Dev Team!

I got my PRAWN stuck in the floor in Jellyshroom Cave. Working on building a new PRAWN. Jets wouldn’t work, could not move at all. Luckily I saved my upgrades. Any way to fix this? It’s Subnautica on Xbox One.

Thanks!
  • ajnashapeshifterajnashapeshifter Join Date: 2021-04-16 Member: 269184Members
    I think I just found a solution. If you blast the prawn suit with the repulsion cannon, it gets unstuck. It's a bit awkward, but it worked for me.