Game is Garbage for New Players

MystiKasTMystiKasT Philadelphia, PA Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223569Members
I just want to say, ♥♥♥♥ this game.

I bought it on the advice of a friend who said he played it for awhile and loved it. I spent a few hours in the tutorials learning everything, settings up keybindings, and graphics.

I hop in my first game, filter set to 'bootcamp' rookie servers only.

Find a skulk, he chomps me in the head and I die. Odd; didn't learn about getting 1shot by skulks. That wasn't fun. Turns out the guy has every badge I've ever seen and is the furthest thing from a rookie possible. Why is he on this server? Spend the entire game building ♥♥♥♥ and/or shooting at little aliens that jump left/right. Game ends quickly when 2x Onos rush our command center. Ofc, I leave the server, I have no chance against people with 1000x more hours than me. Took 4 minutes for an open spot on this server.

Wait 8 minutes for a match to end on the second rookie server, finally get in. Spend all game shooting at little aliens that just jump left and right. Finally see we have shotguns, buy one, and a fade comes and kills me before I can shotgun him. Fun, 25 resources immediately gone. Spend the rest of the game shooting at aliens that jump left and right nonstop.

The game ends, wait 3 minutes for new map shuffle - I load in; I can hear my teammates talking, but no gunshots/ambiance/music. Ask in all chat, am told its a common bug, have to restart game. I closed the game, but I did not restart it. Why would I? I waited 10 minutes to play two ♥♥♥♥ games, and 3 minutes to load into a game where all I can hear are teammates talking.

Two servers <150 ping that are rookie servers. One had a guy so good ppl on my teammate who recognized him debated surrendering just because he was on the other team.

And 9v9/10v10 is the highest the game goes? The ♥♥♥♥? I was told there was an alien infestation, I thought I'd be fighting lots of aliens. Instead, I fight little ♥♥♥♥ers who jump left and right nonstop, like I'm playing unreal tournament with rocket launchers.

I. Got. Ripped. Off.

Comments

• AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    :D

• MystiKasTMystiKasT Philadelphia, PA Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223569Members
    Aeglos wrote: »

Not my first game ever. First game in several years though.
    MystiKasT wrote: »

I bought it on the advice of a friend who said he played it for awhile and loved it. I spent a few hours in the tutorials learning everything, settings up keybindings, and graphics.

Carry on.
  • MystiKasTMystiKasT Philadelphia, PA Join Date: 2016-11-01 Member: 223569Members
    edited April 2020

Carry on.

No help, just like the guys in my games. Instead of offering any advice, you just attempt to troll.
    Even if i was being generous, you're embellishing a lot of your story. But I'm not and I think embellishing is lying and you're a liar who is trolling the five of us who still read these forums.

Also, I'm sure you're not looking for advice with that attitude. Is that how you seek advice? Getting people to baby you by throwing a tantrum?
    edited April 2020
    Even if i was being generous, you're embellishing a lot of your story. But I'm not and I think embellishing is lying and you're a liar who is trolling the five of us who still read these forums.

Also, I'm sure you're not looking for advice with that attitude. Is that how you seek advice? Getting people to baby you by throwing a tantrum?

You're right, I'm not looking for advice, I'm venting. I had such fond memories of this game (played ns1) and when I came back I got absolutely stomped by some of the best players in the world. I didn't remember shit and the game is incredibly hard. I got stomped so hard my morale to play went to zero. Which sucks because I really wanted to get into the game. And how long it took to get a game -- and the fact no one in the server was new despite it being a rookie server -- it was horrible.

And the only thing I can do is keep playing against the best players in the world because of a small player-base? Yes I want to improve, but I want to have fun while doing it.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Bootcamp servers should only pit you against rookies and low skilled players (green and pink skill). Smurfs are obviously a thing and I honestly don't know how much of a problem it is in the boot camp servers.

If you are not playing on those then yeah you can encounter the best players of the game and tbh it really is a nightmare for everyone. Players wth low skill usually don't enjoy playing against high skill players and vice versa. What might help you is (if you use the server browser) that you can look at the average skill of the server and try to find games appropriate to your skill.

"Play Now" usually tries to account for that already if you use that but if you play on non bootcamp servers (or servers with skill restrictions) you will most likely encounter some high skill players (T5+ aka blue, purple or orange badge)

Learning curve is still deep in this game and if you want to improve I guess you have to bite your way through.

In the arcade tab of the server browser you might find some other gamemodes being played that are more casual (for example combat)
  • ValicanValican USA Join Date: 2020-02-07 Member: 257678Members
    Anytime you get a new game and start playing multiplayer, you have to expect to not be instantly good. Some games have similarities that carry over to others, and I suspect you probably imagined playing Marine is the same as every other FPS out there. It's not. While it's true you have a gun and need to shoot enemies, the way you approach HOW to shoot them is completely different than say CSGO or CoD. Learning the rules of engagement and tactics for fighting against the different life forms is key.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    yea bruh this game is hard and not for every1
    Instead, I fight little fuckers who jump left and right nonstop, like I'm playing unreal tournament with rocket launchers.

this thread was worth it for this alone

UT lives on! <3
    I bought it on the advice of a friend who said he played it for awhile and loved it.
    And 9v9/10v10 is the highest the game goes? The ♥♥♥♥? I was told there was an alien infestation, I thought I'd be fighting lots of aliens.
    I. Got. Ripped. Off.
    I had such fond memories of this game (played ns1)

Not necessarily contradictory, but playing spot the contradictions is another highlight of this thread.
  • aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    You might have had a smurf playing as a rookie on the bootcamp server, as there's not much you can do about that. I'm also assuming you mean 'rookie friendly' servers which do not prevent pros from joining and stomping everyone. Diamondgamer's is running a new "no-pros" server that prevents the higher tiers of skill from joining though if that's an issue.
    Not sure what you were expecting tbh... you played NS1 so you're familiar with what kind of game it is. You can still get some pretty solid games if both teams have good commanders and relatively equal teams.
  • NoMNoM Join Date: 2015-04-13 Member: 203407Members, NS2 Playtester
    If you have no idea what's going on, I understand how it could appear this way.

Start by focusing on improving your aim and learning how to dodge and use different weapons/tech. Winning is not a biggie, as you're unlikely to change the outcome of a match while you're learning.
  • ObraxisObraxis Subnautica Animator & Generalist, NS2 Person Join Date: 2004-07-24 Member: 30071Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, Constellation, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, WC 2013 - Supporter, Subnautica Developer, Pistachionauts
    I just want to say, ♥♥♥♥ this game.

We can take constructive criticism, but swearing about things then giving the impression you just bought it, when you have a forum account from 2016 just doesn't make you look good.

I'm closing this thread. Feel free to clean up your language, attitude and make constructive posts in future.
This discussion has been closed.