Natural Selection 3.2.2 + Auto Updater

khelbenkhelben Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71259Members
edited September 2018 in NS General Discussion
Hello everybody !
Exciting news. A community of NS lovers gathered up and made significant bug fixes and changes in the game. (changelog : http://ensl.gk-servers.de/ )
Too tired to download everything and patch stuff ? Do not worry gentleman ! We also made a launcher/updater to give you basic configuration and complete custom files for a competitive NS folder from the start !
You can download those here :

https://github.com/ENSL/NaturalLauncher/releases

To note : Launcher and NS 3.2.2 are open source project. For more infos -> discord :

https://discord.gg/ZUSSBUA

See you all soon :)

ps: gathers are played every day at this adress : https://ensl.org/gathers/latest/ns1

Comments

• khelbenkhelben Join Date: 2010-04-09 Member: 71259Members
    edited August 2018
    let's go have some ns !
  • ArchieArchie Antarctica Join Date: 2006-09-19 Member: 58028Members, Constellation, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter
    default jump mode is on old movement right? i hope so.
    edited August 2018
    sv_jumpmode 0 is the old one. 1 is a slightly modified one : the queued mode (meaning you can tap a bit early and still make the "perfect" jump). This one will become the default mode. But this is a server command so depends on the serv you will be on.
  • part12studiospart12studios Join Date: 2018-08-10 Member: 242775Members
    Oooo that's cool. I'll check it out!
    For suspicious people, launcher source code is here : https://github.com/ENSL/NaturalLauncher.
    You can compile from sources
  • HerasHeras Join Date: 2005-01-06 Member: 32946Members, Constellation
    Wow this is amazing ... I was yesterday with some old spanish friends talking to up a server and play some matches ....
    I am glad you guys are gathering up again ! Don't forget that there is gather every night at this very address :
    https://ensl.org/gathers/latest/ns1
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Nice work khelben and pyro!
  • JirikiJiriki retired ns1 player Join Date: 2003-01-04 Member: 11780Members, NS1 Playtester, Squad Five Silver
    Here's a change list:
    NS 3.2.2 is now available! Patch highlights include: The NS Launcher, OS X support, a new crosshair system, HUD updates, a new jump system, and bug fixes. Those of you who are patching and using old settings since NS 3.2, it is recommended you exec updatesettings.cfg in console to update your rates, raw input, and FPS to recommended values, or copy them to your userconfig.

The NS Launcher is now available and the recommended way to install/update/launch your game. With it comes new default configs for fresh installations to make it easier to start playing.
        OS X is now supported.
        The Nine Legends HUD and minimal HUD are now available in the advanced options menu.
        sv_jumpmode has been added as a server command. 0 - old movement, 1 - queued jump (hold jump before each landing to jump once hitting ground - default) , 2 - autohop (don't have to let go of jump key between jumps). We will be trying the new settings during gathers and looking for community feedback on what should be standard.
        New crosshair system is now availabe. It can be accessed in the advanced options or via cl_cross commands (crosshair 0 to disable old one). Circle radius is unavailabe on OSX currently.
        hud_mapstyle has replaced cl_labelmaps and can be set via the advanced options. It now has the fully transparent nine legends maps as well.
        cl_ambientsound has been added. 0 turns off all ambient sounds. 2 enables only .wav ambient sounds which aren't bad to listen to and is the default. 1 turns on all ambient sounds.
        The spectator UI is now transparent and you can see health and armor through it.
        Alien movement sounds and jetpack sounds/effects are now FPS independent
        Using popup menu with raw input now centers the cursor. A small percentage of mice have issues with this fix. If it spins your view a lot it's reccomened you use regular input and -noforcemparms in launch options instead.
        The armor value indicator on the HUD has been moved closer to the health so it doesn't look so weird on widescreen.
        senslock has been added as a command. Setting this to 1 will stop the game from scaling sensitivity with the FOV difference on skulk and gorge. 0 is the original behavior. When this is set to 0, zoom_sensitivity_ratio and default_fov factor into the sensitivity calculatons as well, as they did before. zoom_sensitivity_ratio now defaults to 1, but old config values are still kept, as the 1.2 value valve used made no sense before. These are available in advanced options. default_fov should remain 90 at all times, regardless of widescreen or lifeform.
        cl_widescreen has been added. Anyone that wishes to use the old vertical- widescreen can set this to 0. Otherwise leave it on 1, even in 4:3.
        Bugfix: jetpack thrust changed to be FPS independent and modeled after previous 100fps movement.
        Change: hor+ widescreen with workaround for commander view not drawing black map background outside of the intended fov. Clamping included to balance gameplay.
        Bugfix: walk speeds changed as workaround for bug that caused them to lower.
        Bugfix: votemap causing to change to the wrong map
        Bugfix: linux client was not showing text correctly in scoreboard
        Changes to source code directory not affecting the client or server release

• ZaggyZaggy NullPointerException The Netherlands Join Date: 2003-12-10 Member: 24214Forum Moderators, NS2 Playtester, Reinforced - Onos, Subnautica Playtester
    Holy crap NS1 still lives?

Also the certificate for https://ensl.org/ appears to have expired.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    I still run a bot server at sanzen.in:27015

The map list isn't very big unfortunately, waypoints for bots are tedious to create and take a long time on larger maps. I have all of the classic NS maps, some custom and some siege, no combat though.
  • puzlpuzl The Old Firm Join Date: 2003-02-26 Member: 14029Retired Developer, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    This is amazing! Well done to everyone involved. We had tried the auto-jump and queued jump stuff in private testing, would be interested to hear how the players find it.
  • That_Annoying_KidThat_Annoying_Kid Sire of Titles Join Date: 2003-03-01 Member: 14175Members, Constellation
    Heras wrote: »
    Wow this is amazing ... I was yesterday with some old spanish friends talking to up a server and play some matches ....

Rock solid

I have to go find my old ns configs now D:
  • tschumanntschumann Australia Join Date: 2010-05-26 Member: 71862Members
    edited April 2020
    GiGaBiTe wrote: »

The map list isn't very big unfortunately, waypoints for bots are tedious to create and take a long time on larger maps.

So true. botman created an auto-waypointing tool back in the day but I'm not sure if it actually waypoints the entire map.
  • GiGaBiTeGiGaBiTe Join Date: 2003-10-07 Member: 21489Members
    edited May 2020
    tschumann wrote: »
    GiGaBiTe wrote: »

The map list isn't very big unfortunately, waypoints for bots are tedious to create and take a long time on larger maps.

So true. botman created an auto-waypointing tool back in the day but I'm not sure if it actually waypoints the entire map.

The auto waypoint feature is a bit of a misnomer. How it works is that it spawns waypoints as you move around the map and auto-connects paths between them. Waypoints made with this mode are generally unworkable and very inefficient because waypoints are created every few feet. Like turning around a corner can generate 30 something waypoint nodes, when hand made waypoints only need two for smooth turning, or one if you don't mind 90 degree angles.

The automatic path generation also makes dozens of invalid paths because it connects every waypoint within a given radius, regardless if the path is valid or not.

It also won't work on large maps, you'll run out of waypoint nodes. I had this problem on ns_machina, even with my normal hand waypointing method which is already pretty efficient, I was running out of waypoint nodes and had to cut down on path randomization in some spots to be able to waypoint the whole map. Thankfully there are few maps as large or complex as ns_machina. While it is a really nice map, waypointing it took nearly 8 hours and quite a few more debugging and testing them.