preview_metro - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited April 2020 in NS2 General Discussion

imagepreview_metro - Natural Selection 2

Just another Unknown Worlds site

Read the full story here

Comments

• WiseChoicesWiseChoices Seattle, WA Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200112Members
    First comment! I was very excited when i heard about this map. I have been wanting an outdoor city-scape map for awhile. From the first image you posted, looks like you have some back allies, a bit of that china town going on in that section. Are there going to be streets? Maybe a subway passage? A park? Maybe a catwalk bridge across a street connecting two buildings. Some futuristic vehicles on the streets.
  • pSyk0mAnpSyk0mAn Nerdish by Nature Germany Join Date: 2003-08-07 Member: 19166Members, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    First comment! I was very excited when i heard about this map. I have been wanting an outdoor city-scape map for awhile. From the first image you posted, looks like you have some back allies, a bit of that china town going on in that section. Are there going to be streets? Maybe a subway passage? A park? Maybe a catwalk bridge across a street connecting two buildings. Some futuristic vehicles on the streets.

Yes
  • Vert^Vert^ Join Date: 2013-01-22 Member: 181227Members
    Really looking forward to trying this out for the first time. Haven't seen a single test or image, besides this one.
  • CatsupCatsup Join Date: 2020-04-11 Member: 259905Members
    Are those lanterns custom models? If so, could you tell me who made them, I am needing help with adding custom textures into spark.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Catsup wrote: »
    Are those lanterns custom models? If so, could you tell me who made them, I am needing help with adding custom textures into spark.

They are custom models, soon to be official models available in the spark engine when Metro releases.

I would highly advise joining the NS2 discord to discuss the ins and outs of this kind of thing in real time, Discord is checked by more people, more often than the forums. ( discord link - https://discord.gg/7fUuvVA )
  • CatsupCatsup Join Date: 2020-04-11 Member: 259905Members
    Kasharic wrote: »
    Catsup wrote: »

They are custom models, soon to be official models available in the spark engine when Metro releases.

I would highly advise joining the NS2 discord to discuss the ins and outs of this kind of thing in real time, Discord is checked by more people, more often than the forums.

Thanks, discord sounds like a good start.
  • KoruyooKoruyoo Vienna Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256202Members
  • WiseChoicesWiseChoices Seattle, WA Join Date: 2014-12-19 Member: 200112Members
    Hello! I'm hearing from a few people they are getting FPS drops on ns2_metro. I checked the draw calls on the map (console r_stats) and found some rooms as high as 4000 draw calls, especially when you look up a bit.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Hello! I'm hearing from a few people they are getting FPS drops on ns2_metro. I checked the draw calls on the map (console r_stats) and found some rooms as high as 4000 draw calls, especially when you look up a bit.

With the theme of this map being as adventurous as it is, this was always going to be a problem unfortunately. No other map has such depth to the skyline or detailing in the rooms themselves. High quality comes at a cost.

But just so you're aware, there are spots in other maps where the draw calls exceeded 4k and it wasn't noticed. Draw calls alone are not a great way to gauge performance, though they are a good start. Primitive count, shadow casters, number of occluders etc, all of the stats shown by r_stats are important in their own way, each plays a part.

We are working to eek out as much performance we can while maintaining a certain level of visual quality, every map that has been released since biodome has had a " 1.1 patch " that addresses both performance (even if it is only small gains) and balance.

If you could provide an imgur gallery of your findings with the worst areas of performance, we will work to the best of our ability to make these areas more acceptable. and thank you for the reports :)