Deactivate mouse wheel as weapon change

Ripper2fgRipper2fg Germany Join Date: 2014-01-10 Member: 192936Members, Reinforced - Shadow
Sup guys,

i got a new mouse and the mousewheel is way to sensitive so i noticed that i touch it often by mistake and force a weapon change. I was on a LAN Party this weekend and we played Counter-Strike 1.6. I noticed this issue and deativated weapon change with the mouse wheel. So good.
Now i want to do the same in NS2 because i lost already alot of fights because of this stupid mouse but i cant find anything to do so.

I deactivated this already, but i still can switch my weapons with the mouse wheel...
5hp3wb85ste9.jpg

Anybody know how to deactivate the mouse wheel ingame for weapon switching?

Thank you in advance!

Greetings
Ripper2fg

Comments

• NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Haha that's unfortunate. Doesn't look like you can. Oopsie!
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    Until more who have played the game come along, a few suggestions based on experience in other games, etc:
    A. Your mouse might be in "speed scroll" mode, toggled by a button near the wheel (other mice use as dpi button).
    B. Try changing mouse settings for the wheel to fewer lines (in windows 10: windows button, gear icon, devices, mouse, additional mouse options).
    C. See if mouse bindings are in a configuration or ini file you can edit.
    D. Switch wheel to another function (sometimes, you can completely delete a button. For example, if you set wheel to fire, then set fire back to left-click, it may leave wheel blank).
  • AeglosAeglos Join Date: 2010-04-06 Member: 71189Members
    You can try binding it to something else that doesn't affect gameplay like taunt / acknowledged.

Also, separate from this, it seems that F5-F7 is hard binded to marines, aliens and spectate unless you designate it as another function as well.
  • Ripper2fgRipper2fg Germany Join Date: 2014-01-10 Member: 192936Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    narfblat wrote: »
    Until more who have played the game come along, a few suggestions based on experience in other games, etc:
    A. Your mouse might be in "speed scroll" mode, toggled by a button near the wheel (other mice use as dpi button).
    B. Try changing mouse settings for the wheel to fewer lines (in windows 10: windows button, gear icon, devices, mouse, additional mouse options).
    C. See if mouse bindings are in a configuration or ini file you can edit.
    D. Switch wheel to another function (sometimes, you can completely delete a button. For example, if you set wheel to fire, then set fire back to left-click, it may leave wheel blank).

It was point A. My mouse wheel had that "speed scroll" mode and i toggled it off. Did figure it out myself but i was really suprised as i saw your post here!

Thank you all for answering my question! Now i can play normal again!
  • FrozenFrozen New York, NY Join Date: 2010-07-02 Member: 72228Members, Constellation
    Can you do like

Unbind mwheeldown
    Unbind mwheelup
    Bind q previous

Idk what the command for lastinv is in na2 though
    Frozen wrote: »
    Can you do like

Unbind mwheeldown
    Unbind mwheelup
    Bind q previous

Idk what the command for lastinv is in na2 though

You can't. That's the wrong way to go about it. As long as your mouse wheel slot is empty, it defaults to weapon switch. Or, you can try unbind F7 and press it everytime you're in game on a full spec slot server after shuffle expires and see how well unbind works.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts

Can you fix the F5-F7 for joining marines, aliens and specs as well? Thanks.

Is it safe to delete the options file to reset or is it synced to Steam? I've look at it for the first time and found some stuff on mods(?) that doesn't look normal.
  • GhoulofGSG9GhoulofGSG9 Join Date: 2013-03-31 Member: 184566Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Forum Moderators, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Reinforced - Supporter, WC 2013 - Supporter, Pistachionauts
    edited February 2020
    Aeglos wrote: »

Can you fix the F5-F7 for joining marines, aliens and specs as well? Thanks.

Is it safe to delete the options file to reset or is it synced to Steam? I've look at it for the first time and found some stuff on mods(?) that doesn't look normal.

Thanks for the report. I created a new ticket for the missing options: https://trello.com/c/AtOKbCYi/1613-331-missing-join-team-binding-options .

If you have steam cloud sync enabled for ns2 (check properties -> updates) the remote options file is synced to steam. So deleting it won't create a new one just with the defaults as long as steam cloud sync is enabled.
  • ValicanValican USA Join Date: 2020-02-07 Member: 257678Members
    @GhoulofGSG9 along the same lines as this, but in this post I cannot rebind them to go the opposite way. I used the workaround listed above to remove them, but would like to be able to remap them as specified.
    TDF wrote: »
    @GhoulofGSG9 along the same lines as this, but in this post I cannot rebind them to go the opposite way. I used the workaround listed above to remove them, but would like to be able to remap them as specified.

You could replace
    None

with whatever key value you want to use instead. Maybe use some another working key bind option to get the right key values. Otherwise you'll sadly have to wait till the next game update.