Xbox 360 Controller Trigger Buttons Reversed

GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
Testing and streaming the new update from today and unable to calibrate the xbox 360 controller as the Left and Right Triggers are being recognized as backwards.

Comments

• mortemasmortemas NYC Join Date: 2017-12-27 Member: 234625Members
    edited December 2019
    This has happened to me, too. Left trigger moves Prawn's right arm and vice versa. Also, Prawn can only go backwards when jump-jetting. Same stick works fine when walking, though. And the Prawn is all jiggly, keeps walking bit by bit on its own without touching the controller. Mine is an Xbox One controller, works fine in other games. Guess I won’t be playing Subnautica again until it’s fixed. :(
  • ninjap0wzninjap0wz Join Date: 2019-12-13 Member: 256372Members
    Confirmed, using Xbox one gamepad. As a potential workaround, you can enter the settings menu and set the inputs as their reverse in the meantime while they create a patch.
  • scifismurfscifismurf Join Date: 2019-12-13 Member: 256379Members
    Mines the same, i tried to swap them manually but wont recorgnise the RT at all and the prawn does what ever the hell it wants lol
  • PrimordialPrimordial United States Join Date: 2019-12-13 Member: 256384Members
    edited December 2019
    Same issue. I downloaded a 1.8 Gb update and my controls got all bugged. Triggers are reversed and I can no longer look up or down. Tried fiddling with controls and disconnected and reconnected the controller. I am currently reinstalling the game to see if that works. I use An Xbox One controller by the way.

Update: It did not work.
  • TurboBearTurboBear Join Date: 2019-12-16 Member: 256447Members
    edited December 2019
    Same issue here. Xbox One controller on PC. Workaround is to manually swap them in the controller configuration, but it can be confusing as the HUD will show the incorrect trigger.
  • frafornofraforno Italy Join Date: 2019-12-16 Member: 256450Members
    I can confirm the issue: the triggers are reversed on xbox one controller. Re-binding them in the options solves the problem but they will be recognized as reversed (so, the game will say to press LT to swap containers, for example, when you actually have to press RT). Annoying.
  • BoopaBoopa United States Join Date: 2019-12-16 Member: 256466Members
    I came here from playing this game on my xbox one S through the 1 dollar Christmas game pass thing so I essentially played for free and loved it, then found out about Subzero so I wanted to try to help and bought the two in the bundle. It's been a long long time since I've found a game I actually enjoy so I really hope more people find out about these games and give them a chance.

Anyways.. When I first jumped into the game I had this same issue. I'm trying to put out the fire with the extinguisher in the escape pod and the triggers are swapped it seems. By time I finally figured it out I had burned to death...… :/
  • frafornofraforno Italy Join Date: 2019-12-16 Member: 256450Members
    Any chances this will be fixed?
  • jdspaceboyjdspaceboy Join Date: 2020-01-26 Member: 257413Members
    Issue is still present.
  • firidanfiridan Join Date: 2020-01-26 Member: 257417Members
    This text was translated by google translator, I am from Russia, so I hope you understand the text.
    The problem with the gamepad. After I reconfigure the control of the gamepad in the settings, there is no longer the opportunity to get the tool from the inventory if I am inside the capsule or the built base. Moreover, if you remove the tool in the water, and then enter the base, the character will remove it from his hand automatically. Also, there is no way to get the tool from the keyboard. Problems only in new versions of build 2020. My logitech F710 gamepad.
  • thejessenobodythejessenobody Atlanta, GA, USA Join Date: 2020-01-28 Member: 257467Members
    Hey guys, created an account just to add that I believe I've found a workaround for now that works for my Xbox One Controller as this was bugging me out and I could barely play the game without frustration. Seems to solve the reversed triggers at least. Here are the steps I took as I am playing the game from the Epic Store(free giveaway).

1. Add the game as a Non-Steam Game to your Steam Library. (You use the Subnautica.exe from your installation folder)
    2. If playing from the Epic Store you will need to add to Launch Options.
    3. Right click your Subnautica icon, go to properties and click "Set Launch Options"
    4. add "-EpicPortal" without the quotes as a launch option so that Steam knows to launch game from Epic Store.
    5. Go into Steam settings - Controller settings and make sure you have both "Xbox Configuration Support" and "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" checked.
    6. You may or may not need to launch game from Big Picture Mode - not certain but I use that from my couch when playing.
    6. Launch game thru Steam.
    7. Enjoy!

Please let me know if this works out for you or if the instructions need to be more clear. I can finally get back to exploring from my couch without the wonky triggers reversed. Hope this helps.

Cheers!
  • CastunCastun US Join Date: 2020-02-06 Member: 257650Members
    Tried the game for the first time last night, triggers worked normally.

Started up again tonight, and the triggers are reversed, using an XBox One wireless controller. Tested out with M&KB and the trigger buttons on the mouse are also backwards...instead of left click using the equipped item, it was right click. So not something specific to controllers, it seems.
  • KevkonKevkon Join Date: 2020-02-22 Member: 258212Members
    edited February 2020
    Hey guys, created an account just to add that I believe I've found a workaround for now that works for my Xbox One Controller as this was bugging me out and I could barely play the game without frustration. Seems to solve the reversed triggers at least. Here are the steps I took as I am playing the game from the Epic Store(free giveaway).

1. Add the game as a Non-Steam Game to your Steam Library. (You use the Subnautica.exe from your installation folder)
    2. If playing from the Epic Store you will need to add to Launch Options.
    3. Right click your Subnautica icon, go to properties and click "Set Launch Options"
    4. add "-EpicPortal" without the quotes as a launch option so that Steam knows to launch game from Epic Store.
    5. Go into Steam settings - Controller settings and make sure you have both "Xbox Configuration Support" and "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" checked.
    6. You may or may not need to launch game from Big Picture Mode - not certain but I use that from my couch when playing.
    6. Launch game thru Steam.
    7. Enjoy!

Please let me know if this works out for you or if the instructions need to be more clear. I can finally get back to exploring from my couch without the wonky triggers reversed. Hope this helps.

Cheers!

I also had the same problem with my LT and RT buttons being reversed. I followed your manual and it worked!

Dear Subnautica-Devs, can you guys please fix this bug!??? It would be so great because i really love this game and all the great work and ideas you all put into it!

Please get it fixed for the community!

Thanks

PS: 90% of my games are on Steam. I bought this game and many others extra in the epic-store to support the devs!
  • alsonotan0rcalsonotan0rc Join Date: 2020-03-28 Member: 259244Members
    Is this problem related to the mouse pointer offset issue that's been hanging around in one form or another since the beginning? I'm having a similar problem with an XBox 360 controller on PC, so I tried the troubleshooting guide's "fix" for the mouse pointer offset. Unfortunately, I was already running the game at my monitor's native resolution. I tried some other resolutions in windowed just for kicks, but nothing worked. Any thoughts?
  • OldBlueOldBlue Kentucky Join Date: 2020-04-01 Member: 259431Members
    Still an issue. Thought it was just me.

On SBZ it is frustrating, because the buttons don't have true secondary modes.
  • ignition7ignition7 Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259643Members
    I have also problems with my Xbox One controller in my Macbook Pro, either wireless or with cable.

The problem is that buttons are detected wrongly, for example A button is B, and some D-Pad buttons are the menu or window button (typically select or start in other controllers), the rest of the buttons are also fucked up. The thing is that there is no way I can use the controller to play and I wanted to play from the couch. I bought this game because it said that had controller support, still I haven't been able to play it because is completely broken with the controller.

All other games work properly, in some games happens that wireless is not detected so I use the cable and works. But this in game has this bug that makes it unplayable.

Note:
    I use this driver when using the cable: github[dot]com/360Controller/360Controller
  • gufguf Join Date: 2020-04-16 Member: 260093Members
    thejessenobody wrote: »

FWIW, this single step fixed it for me... actually, just checked "Xbox Configuration Support".
  • Grim666ReaperGrim666Reaper uk Join Date: 2020-04-13 Member: 259985Members
    This bug only happens when you get the Exo-suit, the bug is in exo-suit coding. Your controller will work normally till then. You can work around the problem as in previous posts or remapping your controller via in-game options settings, it can be done, it's fiddly. But I've gone it and all working fine now.
  • ignition7ignition7 Join Date: 2020-04-05 Member: 259643Members
    Activating "Xbox Configuration Support" or "Generic Gamepad Configuration Support" or both does not make any change. Same problem of messed up buttons.

This problem happens even in the menu screen, actually I have not played the game because of it. I didn't pass from the start where there is fire.
  • Hawkes25Hawkes25 Join Date: 2019-07-03 Member: 253595Members
    Guys I think its more than a simple glitch I play on my computer my PlayStation 3 rock candy controller which resembles an xbox360 was set by steam configuration worked fine until the game blinked on me and completely reset my configuration. now that i'm writing this down I think I know what's wrong different regions of the world have different key setups. I don't know where the main office of unknown worlds is but they might be using a setup for their region only which might why it keep reseting the layout
  • maligatormaligator Join Date: 2020-05-04 Member: 260692Members
    It's a really weird bug. I managed to remap the triggers on the Steam big picture overlay but sometimes they are inverted, and sometime they are not... random magic ?
  • MalacathMalacath Wales Join Date: 2016-05-17 Member: 216874Members
    This problem is caused by Steam controller configuration.

You need to go into the Steam controller options for this game then switch it to forced off
  • GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
    Malacath wrote: »

You need to go into the Steam controller options for this game then switch it to forced off

This setting has been switched to Forced off within the Steam configuration settings and the controller issue still persists.
  • HowardEHowardE Tampa Join Date: 2020-08-04 Member: 263008Members
  • xjr63367xjr63367 Join Date: 2020-09-10 Member: 263882Members
    Malacath wrote: »

This resolved the flipped buttons for me.
  • GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
    No change issue still occurs even using the aforementioned fix.
  • AttilaTheFunAttilaTheFun Join Date: 2020-12-26 Member: 266340Members
    Hi all,

I've found a rather good work-around that may work for you.

I'm using an Xbox 1 controller and running the game from the Xbox app (Gamepass).

Download the "Xbox Accessories" app from the windows app store.
    In the Xbox Accessories app you can make a new controller mapping profile and select the option "swap triggers".
    (be sure to apply the new profile by assigning it to "slot 1").

With this new profile applied, the buttons and prompts in game should be correct.

I don't know if the Xbox Accessories app will work with other distro platforms though, please post if it works for you with steam etc.
  • nebrynebry Join Date: 2020-12-29 Member: 266424Members
    Just encountered this with an Xbox One controller and was able to work around it by configuring Steam to flip the triggers.

1. Right click the game in Steam
    2. Go to Manage -> Controller configuration.
    3. Go into the Left trigger and set "Trigger analog output" to "Right Trigger"
    4. Go into the Right trigger and set "Trigger analog output" to "Left Trigger"
  • nebrynebry Join Date: 2020-12-29 Member: 266424Members
    edited January 2021
    nebry wrote: »
    Just encountered this with an Xbox One controller and was able to work around it by configuring Steam to flip the triggers.

1. Right click the game in Steam
    2. Go to Manage -> Controller configuration.
    3. Go into the Left trigger and set "Trigger analog output" to "Right Trigger"
    4. Go into the Right trigger and set "Trigger analog output" to "Left Trigger"

Update, this only worked up until I tried to use the scanner. You need to also rebind the full pull action.
  • AbysalheatAbysalheat Join Date: 2021-01-03 Member: 266551Members
    So I'm using an XBOX controller that works with other steam games and connects via Bluetooth to my Windows 10 OS. With the default controls selected, here is what actually happens in game.
    R Stick Up: look left
    R Stick Down: look right
    R Stick left: Use item in right hand
    D-Pad left: look up
    D-Pad right: look down
    LB: View/put away tablet
    RB: Pause menu

Please note that none of these are bound this way in the controller settings and make the game virtually unplayable so there could be other issues that I'm not aware of.