The Future of Below Zero’s Story - Subnautica

Comments

• ajhcraftajhcraft Ireland Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255843Members
    edited November 2019
    Honestly if there was some way I could help with writing the story I'd be more than happy to! I'm always full of ideas and have written many stories, script for a television series, a few video games, a book, and numerous fan fictions. Let me know if I can help! I'd pour my heart and soul out for Subnautica and the team!
  • inwaterinairinwaterinair Sweden Join Date: 2019-01-14 Member: 248730Members
    Some thoughts about this very very beautiful game:
    there are some aspects of the story that really caught my interest - the ambivalent relationship between the sisters; the hints of shady deeds being done by Alterra (are they developing a bio-weapon? Can we stop them?); and what is Marguerite up to? I'd really like to know about these things. On the other hand was the game experience richer when I didn't have to go from task to task ordered by the corporation like it was in the first version of the game, felt a bit like work...
    Al-An is a bit to human for my liking, it should be more difficult to communicate with it/him/her/whatever. How do you develop a relationship to an alien conscience? How do they perceive the world, are there shared values? Seeing as how much even the world views of humans can differ so that it seems people live in different worlds...
    Btw - what has happened to the sea-emperors? I miss them in the lily-pads!
    Regarding the seatruck discussion - it's nice to have a fast and small vehicle that can pass through small cracks, but that also can be used with different compartments, good when I want to build a new base and have to transport materials. Also nice the way the seatruck is getting slower and more difficult to maneuver with more compartments, quite realistic. But I really really miss the opportunity to build inside the truck, that was great with the cyclops! How about an empty compartment that can be used as a garden or as a storage room, or even as a living room?
    Thanks for the wonderful work you guys are doing, can't wait for the new update :-))
  • CaptSpockCaptSpock Canada Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255845Members
    I thought it was going to be out of Alpha in Jan.. now you say your rewriting the story.... So when will we see the new story, and when are you now projecting it to be complete? I have Very much enjoyed the Org. Subnautica, and i did enjoy what i played of Sub Zero so far. But no sure i want to play more until i know when i will have to restart again.
  • Teraman64Teraman64 Japan Join Date: 2017-10-30 Member: 233776Members
    Does The Deep Dive Update have a ending?
    I’m looking forward to new story but I want to see the ending of the current story.
  • Megabyte94Megabyte94 Brisbane Join Date: 2019-11-24 Member: 255846Members
    Loving your work guys. Take your time if you need it! I would rather wait and get something you are happy with!
  • FeiwuzeiFeiwuzei Hawaii Join Date: 2019-11-17 Member: 255638Members
    Just as long as it doesn't turn into a melodrama. A good example of this was Micheal Chrichton's last book Micro. It was half done when he passed away and since his name is a big money machine they had somebody fill out the rest of the story. You can tell where Micheal leaves off and the new author took over. No research in the science or background, main characters dieing, etc.
  • Bturner4559Bturner4559 North Carolina Join Date: 2019-11-24 Member: 255854Members
    Oh, well honestly that's super cool. I don't really like to play early versions because I don't want to ruin too much of the story, but since a good portion will likely be different I can dabble worry free. Jill's varied experience sounds like it could lend itself to an interesting take, can't wait to see what she does. I hope people will give her a shot and not be too tribal about the 'tone being lost or whatnot.' All things must evolve. Good luck guys!
  • GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
    edited November 2019
    I can respect this! I hate to venture negative opinions, but IMO the current story was making the game too linear. One of the amazing aspects of the first Subnautica was that you were tossed into this huge open world and it was up to you as the player to explore, discover, and decide your next course of action. I understand that the story is critical, but this was perfected in telling (once again IMO) by having the story almost a secondary background occurring narrative.

As you explored and discovered new things, more of the story opened up. But I can't think of once that I was instructed to go somewhere in Subnautica. You learn about the Data Package sent to the Aurora, you learn about the other alien structures and you choose when you go or even if you go. Having someone else communicating to you constantly also kinda ruined the immersion that I felt in S1 because being alone TRULY felt like survival.

But all-in-all I am incredibly happy with the construction and design that is occurring with BZ, and I have been fighting hard not to spoil it, by continuing further than I have in the EA. Much respect to all the team at Unknown Worlds Entertainment, and know that I still hold Subnautica as my all time favorite game. In fact I'm going to go play now while I do some more SQL projects.
  • HoukinHoukin Beijing Join Date: 2019-11-25 Member: 255884Members
    ha!!
    I want to resurrect the frozen Leviathan!
  • roscosnowboardingroscosnowboarding NH Join Date: 2019-11-26 Member: 255913Members
    Rewriting the story is a tough decision to make, but will be worth it.
    "The last guardian" is an example of a game that evoked some serious emotions between the player and your NPC companion Trico, which the player forms a friendship with. I'd recommend checking out some clips from it, might provide some inspiration.

It's great the UW team can create such immersive, rich atmospheres that are packed full of interesting ecosystems, encouraging exploration all while threading some quality story through the adventure :)

Happy diving!
  • Starmix36Starmix36 Join Date: 2019-11-27 Member: 255962Members
    It would be cool if there was a interaction with maida about the degasi/crash of the degasi
  • tacitiumtacitium AUS Join Date: 2019-11-28 Member: 255969Members
    Would love to see a mapping function, especially available early on, so i can relocate these named areas once ive been to them.
    Also being able to makes notes on the map would be an intelligent path. Considering it is what we would do in real life now, it makes sense in a scifi game.
  • tguirectguirec Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255832Members
    the final game will have two stories ?
    a little story "a prequel".
    and a main story (the news you're going to work on). ?

do you have a date for the localization (translation under title) French????

good continuation.

le jeux final aura donc deux histoires ?
    une petite histoire " un préquel".
    et une histoire principal ( la nouvelle sur laquel vous allez travailler ). ?

avez vous une date pour la localisation ( traduction sous titre) française ????

bonne continuation.
  • narfblatnarfblat Utah, USA Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216799Members, Forum Moderators, Forum staff
    @tguirec This is a change to the Below Zero storyline, not a second storyline.
  • LagopusLagopus Join Date: 2019-11-02 Member: 255263Members
    I only just got to the Ice Worms. Having played without a single death until today, I became quite frustrated that between the Ice Worms and the Snow Stalkers I died 6 times in a row in the space of half an hour without any chance of survival. I have found the Snow Stalkers run at me as soon as they see me and take more than half my health, then the ice worms simply pop up and smash the rest of my health away before I can use a health pack. In the original I never got hit by a Reaper and immediately hit by something else. There was always time to run away and lick wounds, and I never died to one of them even if out of a vehicle. The Ice Worms seem too random and unpredictable compared with Reapers and Ghosts and attack multiple times without giving a chance to recover and too often within the attack range of a Snow Stalker. This doesn't scare me, it just makes it frustrating. I don't want to play a platformer where I have to pick a specific and precise path to get through an area. I want to explore whilst being wary.

Also, I have scoured the seabed to the south and I simply cannot find enough Lithium or Lead. I have copper coming out of my ears and not enough Titanium.
  • korakkkorakk Join Date: 2019-11-06 Member: 255326Members
    I notice none of the promotional video shots are from within the sea truck, so apparently at least someone noticed that the sea truck is an abomination. Not only does it not showcase the game well, it does not provide a good gameplay experience. The sea truck is so unbearable that I use it as little as possible, instead opting to swim around with the sea glide and the oxygen cheat. To be an enjoyable aspect of the game the sea truck needs some vital issues fixed:

* provide a full view - the reduced FOV makes the already labyrinthine caves impossible to navigate in
    * provide a clear view - it's already hard enough to see in the murky environments, the reduced contrast and clarity from within the sea truck are really frustrating
    * enable a clear mechanism for going directly between the driver's seat and the exterior when modules are attached
    * change or remove the horrible noises every time some small fish smacks into the sea truck (thankfully this has seems to be improved over earlier releases, but it's still terrible)
    * the storage module needs to provide more storage, preferably in 2-4 compartments, 5 is a bit much
  • JonPasoJonPaso Wa. State Join Date: 2019-11-23 Member: 255815Members
    Waiting for a new update to fix glitches in the last update. Hope they finnish soon to final game.
  • HerobrinesbestminionHerobrinesbestminion Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256209Members
    just don't murder my favorite Badass op Character (Marguerit) or make Al-an evil because..... I would cry and you guys would drown in Leviatans XD
  • Roran_OakenshieldRoran_Oakenshield Join Date: 2019-12-07 Member: 256204Members
    If the story is going to be changed, is it worth playing through the current version of Below Zero? I was planning to wait for the game's full release, but if the story will change significantly will playing through it now and then replaying again after full release offer significantly different experiences?
  • interactive_hardhatinteractive_hardhat Join Date: 2019-12-10 Member: 256268Members
    I've just gotten into Below Zero, after having loved Subnautica. I'm excited that the game's going to have a more active story, and hope that, wherever the story goes, it continues to be an enjoyable series~ Also, if you could find a way for me not to have to find a random post to comment on, and wait a day, to post the bugs I'm finding, that would be rad.
  • uh82cituh82cit U.S.A Join Date: 2019-12-15 Member: 256414Members
    I appreciate the honesty towards changing the story after running into a dead end and losing your main story writer. I am excited to see what you chance about the story. The only issue I have is the new voice actor for Robin. I do not want this intended as hate towards whoever the new voice actor is, but my honest opinion is she is completely out of place, at least with the story as it currently is in this last update.
    She sounds unimpressed with the disaster of being stranded and left behind as her escape ship leaves without her. She seems to not have any depth of expression with her voice. She seems to have one emotion, vague curiosity. She is just so nonchalant about this alien world that her background seems to make her out to be obsessed with the entire planet.
    Just my opinion, but the first voice actor was much better and seemed more alive, reminded me a bit of Steve Irwin with her excitement about living on this alien aquatic planet.
    But what do I know, maybe with the new story direction her talents will be used appropriately. Just my two cents!
  • zero12xzero12x Join Date: 2017-04-12 Member: 229588Members
    The only things I don't want changed are Al-An and Maida, other than that do what needs to be done to make this game as good as the first.
  • tomocaletaatomocaletaa chile Join Date: 2020-02-10 Member: 257769Members
    edited February 2020
    i think that sometimes is difficult to catch history :c ... btw I'm excited waiting for the next update
  • GeribigGeribig Schwanenstadt Join Date: 2020-02-08 Member: 257707Members
    edited February 2020
    am excited to see what the new story will bring
  • DonJuan2000DonJuan2000 Join Date: 2020-02-20 Member: 258081Members
    edited February 2020
    Tom made a great job to imagine this world and universe, but really needs some changes and btw further developments. I'm sure Jill will make an awesome job and it could take inspiration from classic SCI-FI movies too like Aliens 1 and 2, The Abyss ( basicly it already do, but it could be improved ) etc.. This is what this game really needs, deep and better narrative and story.
    Loved the first Subnautica, and played this too a far bit, but really I cannot wait to see this next update.

Please also pay some attention to Graphic Details, story is the main part to do and to focus, but also Graphics Details as animation/interactions are important.

I think I would love to start this game in the space or anyway further in the story maybe to be able to go at least in planetary orbit and back.
  • YugiyashaYugiyasha Join Date: 2020-02-20 Member: 258085Members
    I'm so excited to "dive" into this new update and new story! This will be a lot of fun!

I don't know if this is possible or not, but for the people who have been playing with the old story, can there be another game released to just them that contains the current, unfinished game and story? I'm really loving this current game and while I know I'll love the updated one too, I'd like to be able to save my progress with this version and have the option to play through the original version too even though it will be unfinished. Just thought if it's possible.

Thanks Unknown Worlds!
  • RomanarRomanar Join Date: 2016-03-17 Member: 214370Members
    I like all the new stuff you people have put into the game especially marguerite maida, but I don't like the new voice actress for robin. she's suppose to be the younger sister but she sounds more like the girls mother now. oh and some bigger storage in the storage module would be nice.
  • ChipBoundaryChipBoundary Onalaska, WI Join Date: 2020-02-20 Member: 258126Members
    I've just gotten into Below Zero, after having loved Subnautica. I'm excited that the game's going to have a more active story, and hope that, wherever the story goes, it continues to be an enjoyable series~ Also, if you could find a way for me not to have to find a random post to comment on, and wait a day, to post the bugs I'm finding, that would be rad.

You can report bugs IN GAME by hitting F8.
  • ChipBoundaryChipBoundary Onalaska, WI Join Date: 2020-02-20 Member: 258126Members
    Lagopus wrote: »
    I only just got to the Ice Worms. Having played without a single death until today, I became quite frustrated that between the Ice Worms and the Snow Stalkers I died 6 times in a row in the space of half an hour without any chance of survival. I have found the Snow Stalkers run at me as soon as they see me and take more than half my health, then the ice worms simply pop up and smash the rest of my health away before I can use a health pack. In the original I never got hit by a Reaper and immediately hit by something else. There was always time to run away and lick wounds, and I never died to one of them even if out of a vehicle. The Ice Worms seem too random and unpredictable compared with Reapers and Ghosts and attack multiple times without giving a chance to recover and too often within the attack range of a Snow Stalker. This doesn't scare me, it just makes it frustrating. I don't want to play a platformer where I have to pick a specific and precise path to get through an area. I want to explore whilst being wary.

Also, I have scoured the seabed to the south and I simply cannot find enough Lithium or Lead. I have copper coming out of my ears and not enough Titanium.

You do realize you can make weapons to fight back, right? You can also create ground-thumpers and avoid the worms entirely.
    korakk wrote: »
    I notice none of the promotional video shots are from within the sea truck, so apparently at least someone noticed that the sea truck is an abomination. Not only does it not showcase the game well, it does not provide a good gameplay experience. The sea truck is so unbearable that I use it as little as possible, instead opting to swim around with the sea glide and the oxygen cheat. To be an enjoyable aspect of the game the sea truck needs some vital issues fixed:

* provide a full view - the reduced FOV makes the already labyrinthine caves impossible to navigate in
    * provide a clear view - it's already hard enough to see in the murky environments, the reduced contrast and clarity from within the sea truck are really frustrating
    * enable a clear mechanism for going directly between the driver's seat and the exterior when modules are attached
    * change or remove the horrible noises every time some small fish smacks into the sea truck (thankfully this has seems to be improved over earlier releases, but it's still terrible)
    * the storage module needs to provide more storage, preferably in 2-4 compartments, 5 is a bit much

Disagree. While I would like to see some improvements to the Sea Truck, it is FAR superior to previous vehicles in the game, it is also much easier to navigate with because you can detach components.