Game is rather... unfriendly to new or returning players.

ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
I was in the alpha, hell I was shooting target boards in the new spark engine at the time... I got burnt out after a while so I gave the game some time to grow, and grow it did... incredible amounts of growth, but the community didn't.
I hate to report this as a issue but the current lot of servers are not that friendly to anyone.
I got kicked for hopping into a random team pit, as the server was changing (unknown to me) and was AFK stuck in the pit... the servers community response to this was : LOL!

This happened a few times to me, got stuck trying to join a match and got kicked.
I will not be trying to play on the Void EU servers, I don't need the harassment as I can get that playing LoL thank you.

I am not posting to complain though, I mean I have already stopped playing NS2 again... I just feel the old game should not be so toxic, I miss my times on NS1 on servers that actually was happy to have new unskilled players joining and nurtured a environment that made players want to play.

The new NS 2 servers are not a nice place to play in, not just Void servers ... but a fair few I tried. I ain't asking for special treatment, just understanding I wasn't fully aware of all the stuff going on, lol'ing at new players getting stuck is hardly going to make new or returning players feel welcome...as I said , I get that on LoL...

... I just thought NS was better, guess not.

Comments

• SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    The refinery waiting room's lava pit is pretty fun. If you're stuck there that means the server is changing and all you'd have to do is wait a minute for a new waiting room to be loaded. Tons of people get stuck down there for lols, but in my ten years of playing I've never seen anyone get maliciously kicked for something like that.

Did you happen to rage and whine while you were down there? Or did the server admins just decide to pick on you for no reason?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    I got kicked for AFK, not complaining.

I wouldn't be upset for a simple reason, I like this game and this was a bad experience.
    I was in the alpha build, I wouldn't be ruining my rep on that little reasoning.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    Were you actually AFK then?
  • ASnogarDASnogarD Join Date: 2003-10-24 Member: 21894Members
    Like I said, I joined the random portal to just get into a game, so no I was not AFK.

If I was being AFK I would not be complaining as that would be understandable, I do NOT want to harm the NS community, just I feel some servers are not appreciating new players, and are not as welcoming as the server tag may show.

I joined NS 1 on a South African server, SGS, and those guys made me feel so welcome I tried DoD as well... at that point I was only a CS player. but the NS guys made me so welcome I got to be a regular and even went on the servers (hence my 2003 join date) , those SGS guys made me feel welcomed even when I didnt even know how to build... the NS2 servers are kicking my ass out for not understanding you cant join random teams, how is that a good thing ?
    I get that its not nice to have new players in a game with pros, but then why have newbie friendly when its not ? I joined newbie servers to re-learn ... and even I was put off, and I am patiant.

I want a thriving NS community, I love the game and NS 2 has grown into a really cool version of NS, just the community has not been upgraded in my opinion.
  • MephillesMephilles Germany Join Date: 2013-08-07 Member: 186634Members, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Well you can always join a team by either typing °j1" (marines), "j2" (aliens) or "spectate" into the console.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Mephilles wrote: »
    Well you can always join a team by either typing °j1" (marines), "j2" (aliens) or "spectate" into the console.

Or using the F5 and F6 keybinds that are in the options.
    yea that's BS that they kicked you for being stuck in the pit. You can't be expected to know the console or keybinds right off the bat