Tips for finding undiscovered resources

Goldscale001Goldscale001 Ohio, United States Join Date: 2017-03-22 Member: 229109Members
edited October 2017 in Ideas and Suggestions
Something i noticed returning to the game from a nearly half year break was in fresh new games where one hasnt discovered everything and espiaclly is new or working off knowledge from an old version it can be pretty frustrating to find rarer resourcse like magnetite needed for crafting things as one progresses. Or maybe there is a craftable resourse needed to make something like cyclopes of PRAWNs but you haven't unlocked that material in the fabricator then it can be realy frustarting to find out where those resources are or how to make them. Many times I've been forced to go to Google or Youtube to find out how to get them and it shouldn't have to be that way. The player should be able to advance through the game without seeking help outside it. I was thinking an in game tip on the PDA would be prefect. It can be vague and short like: this material is found below X depth, or this this is found near X kind of environments, or this material requires X and X to be made, or this is formed in X type of enviormental conditions. Right now at certain points the game feels like it its expecting me to know how to find stuff or where everything is.

Comments

• SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I agree. I shouldn't have to spend 10 hours looking for magnetite when there's loads of it down in the mushroom caves that I never knew about.
  • SnailsAttackSnailsAttack Join Date: 2017-02-09 Member: 227749Members
    I agree. I shouldn't have to spend 10 hours looking for magnetite when there's loads of it down in the mushroom caves that I never knew about.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    You have to be able to "reset" yourself. Basically, if you don't find it in the usual spot, just look in many different types of areas. When you find it, note what type of area it was in, and look in those types of areas. e.g., Lithium - try the caves by the Mushroom Forest.
  • Goldscale001Goldscale001 Ohio, United States Join Date: 2017-03-22 Member: 229109Members
    That plan is all well and good AFTER you already find it 0x6A7232. However I more trying to make it so new players arent left in the dark. Yea id help people like me too, but itd be more for people who havent played before
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    That plan is all well and good AFTER you already find it 0x6A7232. However I more trying to make it so new players arent left in the dark. Yea id help people like me too, but itd be more for people who havent played before

I think the intent wasn't to be able to quickly accomplish all of this stuff. When I was new to Subnautica, it took a long time. AFAIK that's normal for survival games.
  • scifiwriterguyscifiwriterguy Sector ZZ-9-Plural Z-α Join Date: 2017-02-14 Member: 227901Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »

I think the intent wasn't to be able to quickly accomplish all of this stuff. When I was new to Subnautica, it took a long time. AFAIK that's normal for survival games.

It can be frustrating, even to veteran players, but this is true. It's a development mechanic that goes by a bunch of names, but "forced exploration" is the one I like best. Basically, the player sets a goal for him/herself. "I want to build (blank)," but, naturally, they don't have all of blank's materials. If the materials were plentiful and easy to find, then the player has little incentive to explore the world, which would cause them to find other story and world elements. By forcing the player to range out looking for their materials, it gets them deeper into the game world rather than staying tucked up in their comfort zone.

I've forgotten how many restarts I've done in Subnautica, and this still catches me from time to time. I've never bothered to memorize where materials spawn (takes away the fun), and I spent over 40 minutes last night hunting for magnetite because - for whatever reason - my current game is magnetite-lean. I finally found two (yes, only two) pieces in JSC. Even so, I wouldn't change the mechanic; if a survival/exploration game devolves to a series of "follow this dot" quests, then "exploration" falls out of the mechanic quickly, and "survival" has just become a ton easier...to the point of being too easy.
  • Hulkie2345Hulkie2345 New York Join Date: 2017-08-23 Member: 232598Members
    edited October 2017
    I agree that there has to be a reason to explore. But there also has to be a line draw with a game mechanic to flat out wasting someones time. The RNG shouldn't badly disrupt common item pick ups. I was hampered in one game because the Laser Cutter and prop gun was badly placed and low on fragment parts. I wasted 3 real life days till I forced unlocked it. And I know where to look. A new player is going to badly rage.
  • Reaper_Peeper101Reaper_Peeper101 wont tell Join Date: 2019-04-13 Member: 252304Members
    Hey everybody, my name's Reaper_Peeper101 and I have been playing Subnautica for a long time and I know how to get you started in the game! I also know the where-bouts of the Reaper Leviathans so you don't lose your Seamoth! I can also help you locate much needed fragments, reach out to me if you have any questions!
  • ArloArlo Oregon, USA Join Date: 2019-04-30 Member: 252649Members
    I think the Scanner Room solves this to an extent. However, I agree that it's difficult to determine where you need to build the Scanner Room. I think what would be useful is a scanner upgrade module on vehicles that isn't precise like the Scanner Room, but tells you it detected something.

So as you drive along, it would give hints like:
    "detected new technology signatures in the vicinity"
    "high-levels of magnitite detected"

Then you would know where to build your Scanner Base.