[crash] crash during gameplay after 5-10 min [Sep-2018 61056 / 5.6.2p4UnknownWorlds]

BlueBlobbFishBlueBlobbFish Join Date: 2019-04-03 Member: 252124Members
edited April 2019 in Subnautica Bug Reporting
Hi there fellow survivors,

my game crashes to desktop after about 10-20 seconds of freezing.

Occurrence /reproduction:
1. Launch new survival game.
2. Play for 5-10 minutes.
Expected: Game continues running.
Observed: Game video and controls freeze (music continues playing, no SFX for control inputs). After about 10-20 seconds game crahses to desktop.

Log files:
Your omnipresent DirectX11 error:
d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module d3d11.dll at 0033:29ac6da0.
0x00007FFF29AC6DA0 (d3d11) CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface
  ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Attempt to access invalid address.' (Address: 00007FF6459C7A8A)

Software environment:
  • no Citrix Workstation installed
  • no Teamviewer or other (known) display adapter-grabbing software installed.
  • no MSI Afterburner installed
  • new Windows 10 Pro (64bit) installion with current updates, as of today
  • current Subnautica version
  • current Nvidia drivers (v 419.67)
  • RivaTuner v2.24 (see below!)

Hardware environment:
  • new PC hardware (see logs)
  • no overclocking
  • dual monitor setup (1x1440p@144Hz via DisplayPort, 1080p@60Hz via DVI)

What I tried to no avail:
  • disable CPU overclocking
  • MemTest for RAM and GPU RAM
  • Stresstests for CPU and graphics card
  • Unplug second display
  • Uninstall, reinstall Subnautica, graphics drivers, DirectX 11
  • Run windows system file scan (sfc)
  • Steam: Verify integrity of game files
  • revert graphics driver to three different older driver versions
  • set Nvidia power settings to high performance
  • disable G-sync, enable/disable v-sync in nvidia
  • run Subnautica.exe with Admin rights and/or compatibility mode
  • some "launch options" (command line parameters for Subnautica.exe such as '-force-d3d11')

Before this problem, the game would crash immediately after the loading screen of creating a new (survival game). By limiting the game's max FPS to 60 by using RivaTuner, this problem disappeared, reproducably. (On a side note: this also alleviated crashes on Witcher 3 for me)

While I cannot pinpoint specific files or even lines of codes, from what I could scavenge from the net, older versions of the Unity Player didn't manage to handle asynchonous (multi-threaded) GPU calculations correctly, therefore passing invalid memory addresses on to DirectX. This error being linked to Unity (and not/not only to AMD drivers) is also suggested by the fact that it occures in several Unity3D-based games besides Subnautica (Hearthstone, Rust). [One odd ball out is this guy who seemingly fixed this error for some MS flight sim using a CPU core assignment tool.]

To be completely fair I should say that the current 3DMark "TIme Spy" doesn't and Witcher 3 didn't intially run. Also Elder Scrolls Online crashed after more than an hour. All despite my stress tests not showing anything wrong with my graphics card or RAM. Make of that what you will.

As you can hopefully see I *REALLY* just wanna play Subnautica and tried my ar** off with everything I could find. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Comments

• svegzsvegz Join Date: 2019-04-05 Member: 252158Members
    I've just been struggling with a similar problem. For about 80 hours of gameplay I never had an issue, then all of sudden crashes every 10-20 seconds with weird graphics glitches just before the crash. I also tried all the things you tried, initially to no avail. But then I set the launch option -force-gfx-direct and all of a sudden I haven't had a single issue.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Once they merge the Unity 2018 update into Stable, you'll probably have better luck, I'm guessing. Meantime, you could try Experimental branch on Steam? Make sure you turn G-Sync back on, should look better with that I think.
  • svegzsvegz Join Date: 2019-04-05 Member: 252158Members
    edited April 2019
    Cancel that, neither -force-gfx-direct or -force-opengl help, it still crashes every few minutes, I must have just had a lucky period. I'll start my own thread since my issue is SLIGHTLY different (UI still working in the background, sound effects for input actions, but the graphics crashes).
  • BlueBlobbFishBlueBlobbFish Join Date: 2019-04-03 Member: 252124Members
    Thanks for your replies @svegz amd @0x6A7232 and sorry for not replying sooner.

I did some further testing and finally found it just yesterday, after stumbling over yet another proposed fix. __I__ didn't overclock my graphics card and therefore hadn't even installed MSI Afterburner. Turns out my specific 1080 Ti model ("AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G") is shipped factory overclocked. Still this shouldn't have negative consequences (there is even warranty on that), however Gigabyte seems to have done poor QA on my card specifically.
    Long story short I downloaded Afterburner, underclocked my card by some MHz and immediately Heaven Benchmark stopped studdering and Subnautica stopped crashing. This also alleviated the FPS cap, which in hindsight probably just helped keeping down the workload of the card. (Still confusing therefore why the GPU stress tests didn't yield any sign of the GPU missing calculation cycles or the like).

Anyhow, thanks for your support and happy exploring! :)
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    Thanks for your replies @svegz amd @0x6A7232 and sorry for not replying sooner.

I did some further testing and finally found it just yesterday, after stumbling over yet another proposed fix. __I__ didn't overclock my graphics card and therefore hadn't even installed MSI Afterburner. Turns out my specific 1080 Ti model ("AORUS GeForce GTX 1080 Ti Xtreme Edition 11G") is shipped factory overclocked. Still this shouldn't have negative consequences (there is even warranty on that), however Gigabyte seems to have done poor QA on my card specifically.
    Long story short I downloaded Afterburner, underclocked my card by some MHz and immediately Heaven Benchmark stopped studdering and Subnautica stopped crashing. This also alleviated the FPS cap, which in hindsight probably just helped keeping down the workload of the card. (Still confusing therefore why the GPU stress tests didn't yield any sign of the GPU missing calculation cycles or the like).

Anyhow, thanks for your support and happy exploring! :)

That OC is under warranty; I advise returning the card for exchange as it is clearly defective at its factory speeds.