[Bug] Weird water vapor/steam/boiling effect on top of screen [v57474]

mapokapomapokapo Join Date: 2017-12-26 Member: 234611Members
Subnautica Version - Dec 2017 v57474
Description - No matter if I'm in water or not, there seems to be a weird steaming/boiling effect that takes up 1/3 of the top of my screen
Reproduction steps - Happens when finnicking with the thermoblade when opening and closing inventories/switching tools, pretty random
Pictures or Video
I used the flashlight to see the effect more clearly
Zoc2Srp.jpg
fcDzhk9.jpg
Note: In the following picture we can see that holding the thermoblade out seems to cancel the effect, but comes back when switching to a different tool/hand
ka7XYtm.jpg

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    @Belgarel ^ looks like a Thermoblade effect swap? (on when off, off when on)
  • EstebanLB01EstebanLB01 Join Date: 2017-05-09 Member: 230377Members
    reload the game to fix it (temporary)
  • PaddyMPaddyM Northern Ireland Join Date: 2018-02-17 Member: 237784Members
    I just came to report the same bug. I've found that moving the thermoblade into storage (retrieving it again, of course) will fix the problem, so no reloading of your save is necessary. Still irritating, though.

I also noticed that the effect will warp from the centre of the screen to its correct location on the right-hand side when I equip the thermoblade. Then when I switch to another tool or holster the thermoblade, the effect jumps back into the centre of the screen again.
  • WolfMan472WolfMan472 Macon, GA Join Date: 2019-04-01 Member: 252081Members
    Hey does anyone know if there is a permanent fix out yet i play on ps4 and this glitch has started to interfere with actual gameplay commands and makes it hard to play
  • WolfMan472WolfMan472 Macon, GA Join Date: 2019-04-01 Member: 252081Members
    PaddyM wrote: »
    I just came to report the same bug. I've found that moving the thermoblade into storage (retrieving it again, of course) will fix the problem, so no reloading of your save is necessary. Still irritating, though.

I also noticed that the effect will warp from the centre of the screen to its correct location on the right-hand side when I equip the thermoblade. Then when I switch to another tool or holster the thermoblade, the effect jumps back into the centre of the screen again.

hey i just tried that and it seems that the knife itself was bugged so i had to spend more resources making another which of course fixed the problem also thx for the advice
  • GhostNappaGhostNappa Join Date: 2020-04-21 Member: 260290Members
    I don't know if it's a permanent fix but the way I fixed it was just by making a new thermoblade.
  • FusiauzFusiauz South Carolina Join Date: 2020-05-25 Member: 261343Members
    If any developers see this, PLEASE contact me. I would like to discuss these issues. I will be on tomorrow and after. The water effect bug has been so bad on my Xbox, that I cannot play the game without going below 20 frames per second. Thank you for your time.
  • lazermaxlazermax Join Date: 2020-06-14 Member: 261853Members
    I found a way to fix it without creating a new thermablade (works on PC, not sure about Xbox):
    1. Put your thermablade in a storage container.
    2. Save the game, close it completely.
    3. Load the game, get thermablade back.

Thank you very much to everyone who added clues about what's going on! I had no idea what's causing that glitch and didn't know that removing a thermablade helps.
  • uselessscatuselessscat Santiago Join Date: 2021-03-31 Member: 268659Members
    edited March 2021
    I had the same issue, I found a reason for my case.

This is how I can reproduce the bug:

1. Equip the thermablade knife
    2. Start running (using left shift)
    3. Use an interactive panel while pressing the shift button (running) (I tested with bioreactor and Locker, I don't know if it works with another interactive panel)
    4. Release the shift button while the panel is showing
    5. Close the panel
    6. Change to another item
    7. Enjoy the smoke at the center of the screen xd

I didn't found a way to invert this behavior, and I don't know if that is possible. (Eg: doing the same thing with another tool, or just changing tools while the panel is open, etc)

You can avoid this bug by simply stopping before entering some interactive panel I think, at least until it's fixed.

I will post this on other forums.