How do you fight warpers?

13»

Comments

• Hammy2211Hammy2211 Join Date: 2016-10-18 Member: 223218Members
    Vahal wrote: »
    I really hates those freaks more than the Leviathans.

Don't hate the leviathans ;-; what ever did the Reefback do to you.. I guess the 3 hostile ones could of done something.

To be fair only the harmful ones seem to have Leviathan in their actual name.
  • papristpaprist United States Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237252Members
    I am happy with wrappers. They make me feel in the middle of food chain. Thus I have to think about full health once I see this 'friend' in sight. Think about my path to avoid places, where I can't get back to PRAWN when teleported out. So here is when I need to show my real advantage of having more advanced brain, rather than more advanced weapon.

And if you think wrappers are annoying - think twice. They do not follow you to your home, until you build your home on their land. They do not cook and eat you. They do not seek for you. What if... they do?
  • Isummon_DurtIsummon_Durt Lower MiddleEarth Join Date: 2017-12-09 Member: 234349Members
    paprist wrote: »
    I am happy with wrappers. They make me feel in the middle of food chain. Thus I have to think about full health once I see this 'friend' in sight. Think about my path to avoid places, where I can't get back to PRAWN when teleported out. So here is when I need to show my real advantage of having more advanced brain, rather than more advanced weapon.

And if you think wrappers are annoying - think twice. They do not follow you to your home, until you build your home on their land. They do not cook and eat you. They do not seek for you. What if... they do?

Yeah, you're right; Wrappers are pretty annoying. Like, for instance, when I just want to eat the chocolate bar right away but instead, I have to take that darn Wrapper off first.
  • HipqoHipqo Danmark Join Date: 2018-02-06 Member: 236996Members
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    Hipqo wrote: »
    Caiobrz wrote: »
    Cure the disease? Won't kill them, but they will let you alone

Thats like saying "finish a game and it wont be tough any more" lol.

Except that curing the disease is actually easy, and then you have the whole planet to explore without some alien teleporting you to random places.

It might be easy, but its not something you start the game with. Alot of people will play for days, some maybe even weeks, before they figure out how to cure the disease, since this game isnt actively story driven and you arent really pointed to where and how you cure it. You kinda have to stumble over it during your exploration.
  • HCP2311HCP2311 Join Date: 2018-01-27 Member: 235914Members
    I've had some good luck with "buzzing" them with the seamoth electric field. Of course you have to already know they are there, but its good for clearing them out.

A quick dive to full speed, fly past and give them a little shock. They always take off and do not seem to come back. I suspect somewhere in the game code its not the same as attacking them which always seems to result in more spawning and murdering me.
  • Tazman65Tazman65 Join Date: 2019-03-10 Member: 251638Members
    I agree with one comment that was made the Dev, stats he is against guns and killing, what the Dev is really against is us killing, he loves the monsters killing us, I suggest he fancies us getting killed and is some kind of sicko, getting off on us dying thousands of times. Killing happens all the time in this game, we kill the little fish with a knife that cooks them, the dev finds that fine. We can kill stalkers and sand sharks, with a knife, easy, and the Dev finds that great. We see here the dev has no issue with the old prison shive, pummelling a large fish and crushing his skull with propulsion cannon, this is fine. I think the Devs morales are really messed up and it shows. Had the Dev really wanted a pacifist game, all the creatures would have been none aggressive, this again shows the Devs real state of mind, he is into the creatures doing the worst and nasty to us, and leaving us defenceless and usually in a bind against the larger and most devastating creatures. This is not a game, but a killing orgy, that the Dev in my opinion gets off on. I dont believe for one second he wanted a pacifist none killing game at all, the game does not show this at all. The aliens have a mega bomb planted on the planet, it shows the aliens have rifles, the creatures are all boned up to kill. And we get a knife, really. I hope the Dev reads this comment and realizes we are onto his sick and twisted game. If any of you really think this devs story on the school shootings has anything to do with his decision to leave us defenceless, well I can only feel sorry for you. Mr. Dev, I really hope you pull your head out of that dark hole your head is in and see the light, put some good weapons in this game and give us a fighting chance, then this game becomes real fun. Oh ya a fishing rod would be a nice touch to, more fun fishing off my life boat, sipping a beer or 2. Next give the prawn and ships proper lighting, the lighting sucks so bad on the prawn its not worth even saying it has lights. The thirst runs down faster than the food, and not properly proportioned at all. Sea moth needs to be balanced in depth with the prawn and cyclops. Biggest thing, work on the ghosting of the terrain and walls, I cannot even tell you how many times I lost a prawn to the terrain dropping out from under me, and it falling to below 5000 meters, yes I said 5000 meters of pure empty space and my and the prawn dying and me losing all the resources of a fully upgraded prawn and the hours of labour this game and Dev stole from me. Yes I said stole. If we in games use glitches and such to gain loot they ban us, for stealing in game currency in most games, but the Devs can make sloppy and poor games, broken in more ways than one, steal our money, time and game resources and they suffer no consequences, we pay for games and no matter how broken we cannot return them as broken even though they are, this goes against the 30 day cancelation clause in every country’s business codes. Game companies suffer no loss due to their broken crap. This has to end and we the gamers need to start exercising our rights to return these poorly made and even completely broken games. Now this game has great potential, should the Dev decide to wake up and take care of his business, but he is not. I am asking Sony for my money back and I hope Sony decides to pull this game off the PSN till the Dev gives guns, corrects the crap maps, and makes the game properly balanced.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    What the heck did i just read
  • JamezorgJamezorg United Kingdom Join Date: 2016-05-15 Member: 216788Members
    edited March 2019
    What the heck did i just read

Sounds like someone who just died to a reaper and decided to take his anger out on the devs.

The guy I mean, not you.
  • jamintheinfinite_1jamintheinfinite_1 Jupiter Join Date: 2016-12-03 Member: 224524Members
    Does Alterra sell mind erasers? Would like to forget what I read
  • IronX5000IronX5000 Join Date: 2018-02-09 Member: 237225Members
    edited August 2019
    Do you know what happens when a Lion find a cheetah cub?

He kill him, not because he's hungry, but simply because he is disposing of a contestant for territory and food.
    We actually did the same thing like nearly making wolves extinct because there attacking our farm animals.

This instinct to neutralize any threat for your well-being is the most natural and logical thing that is. When I am in kelp forest, I find the need to eradicate any stalkers I see, not because they're that dangerous but simply because they force me to go back and forth endlessly or even forsake me to enter some area. It's logical and natural to eliminate any threat we see for the simple reason that they make our life harder.
    That sound cruel, petty and overall egoistic but that's how nature work.

Also warpers aren't even natural, they're basically aquatic space-terminator design to kill any infected species they come across. So trying to *live peacefully* with them is utterly stupid since they have no sense of morality.
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    Hi - I'm new to the board, but have about 200 hours on Subnautica, with multiple hardcore completions. Dabbled with BZ, but waiting for the story to be implemented and a bit put off by the SeaTruck instead of 'moth.

The *only* creatures I have a problem with is the crabsquids when going to the 500m DeGassi base to research alien containment. Even then, you hang around in the base for a minute or so (they watch you through the base glass, but don't do anything), pop out when it / they are on the other side and you are away in your 'moth before they attack. I lose far more health to the leech things in the reactor room on a run than anywhere else in the whole game.

I'm hardly ever bothered by Warpers, either swimming, in the 'moth or Cyclops - is it because I never bother to self-scan? I read somewhere that their aggression is tied to the level of infection, does that not go up if you ignore the prompts to scan?
  • MaalterommMaalteromm Brasil Join Date: 2017-09-22 Member: 233183Members
    Kyzarvs wrote: »
    Hi - I'm new to the board, but have about 200 hours on Subnautica, with multiple hardcore completions. Dabbled with BZ, but waiting for the story to be implemented and a bit put off by the SeaTruck instead of 'moth.

The *only* creatures I have a problem with is the crabsquids when going to the 500m DeGassi base to research alien containment. Even then, you hang around in the base for a minute or so (they watch you through the base glass, but don't do anything), pop out when it / they are on the other side and you are away in your 'moth before they attack. I lose far more health to the leech things in the reactor room on a run than anywhere else in the whole game.

I'm hardly ever bothered by Warpers, either swimming, in the 'moth or Cyclops - is it because I never bother to self-scan? I read somewhere that their aggression is tied to the level of infection, does that not go up if you ignore the prompts to scan?
    I feel the same. Just ignore the fauna and go on with your life.
    Warpers ignore you when not infected. It isn't tied to the self-scan, and I self-scan regularly to check if I need to worry about warpers. Apparently there are a few conditions that trigger the infection, switching it from normal to infected on a self-scan.
    As far as I can tell:
    - going inside the aurora
    - going to the mountain
    - going deeper (> 500-600m ??)
    - I'm not sure if going to the floating island counts, I usually ignore it

IronX5000 wrote: »
    Do you know what happens when a Lion find a cheetah cub?

He kill him, not because he's hungry, but simply because he is disposing of a contestant for territory and food.
    We actually did the same thing like nearly making wolves extinct because there attacking our farm animals.

This instinct to neutralize any threat for your well-being is the most natural and logical thing that is. When I am in kelp forest, I find the need to eradicate any stalkers I see, not because they're that dangerous but simply because they force me to go back and forth endlessly or even forsake me to enter some area. It's logical and natural to eliminate any threat we see for the simple reason that they make our life harder.
    That sound cruel, petty and overall egoistic but that's how nature work.

Also warpers aren't even natural, they're basically aquatic space-terminator design to kill any infected species they come across. So trying to *live peacefully* with them is utterly stupid since they have no sense of morality.
    So true, but we are not lions.
    We are primates, of the family hominidae. And many such animals displays empathy toward different species.

Killing something simply because you're annoyed by it is a terrible strategy. They aren't dangerous and do not compete with you for any resource. On the contrary, they pile up metal salvage for you and drop their precious teeth.

I never feel the need to kill any animal in the game. Hunting down the stalker is time lost on its own, it requires swimming, frantically slashing your knife, after an animal that will give practically nothing in return.
    Best to lose the knife, swimming faster without tools, and move along.

And you do not need to live peacefully with warpers, but can't kill them properly either as they warp away. Once again, the easiest and most straightforward path is simply ignoring it. If not possible hit it once so it goes away.
  • KyzarvsKyzarvs UK Join Date: 2019-08-08 Member: 254142Members
    Maalteromm wrote: »

I feel the same. Just ignore the fauna and go on with your life.
    Warpers ignore you when not infected. It isn't tied to the self-scan, and I self-scan regularly to check if I need to worry about warpers. Apparently there are a few conditions that trigger the infection, switching it from normal to infected on a self-scan.
    As far as I can tell:
    - going inside the aurora
    - going to the mountain
    - going deeper (> 500-600m ??)
    - I'm not sure if going to the floating island counts, I usually ignore it

So as I don't really engage with warpers even around Lava Mountain, I'm not accidentally making it easier by not scanning myself? In that case, I'm not sure why this is an issue - it's not an FPS game, don't play it like one?

Personally I really like how the fauna works - if you get in their way, there's a possible reaction, but the world isn't out to kill you 24/7 - feels more realistic.

Kyzarvs wrote: »
    I'm not accidentally making it easier by not scanning myself?
    I don't think so. You probably play a lot like me, after tons of playthroughs you don't rush certain key plot areas, instead exploring the biomes around you (with the exception of the deepest cavernous ones most are easily accessible).
    So it takes a long while before warpers start being a bother, and even when they are we just swoosh past them, leaving them behind.
  • GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
    edited August 2019
    Here's my take away from the Killing/non-killing aspect. I know no one asked for it. But I really enjoy this topic when in regards to this game.

Sorry, it's going to be a long one.

Possibility 1: Subnautica is not ARK, or 7 Days to Die, or even Minecraft ( which I enjoy those games). Those open-world survivor games entrench you in a world where everything is against you. The inhabitants, other players, NPCs, mutated animals are fighting a war. That is the way of those game worlds. From a player/survivalists perspective, you are living the "Kill or be Killed philosophy". Though there are potential avenues of surviving in reality by entrenching yourself in a fortified place where you can coexist/defend/maintain yourself. But either way, you are not seeking out conflict for the sake of "I have to kill everything". You live peacefully behind your walls ( think Troy). But eventually, something may come to take your walls. Then you are forced to fight, to defend and survive. This is the way of those worlds. 4546b is not a human/zombie/wasteland/mutant/<insert Survivor trope here> world. It's a living ecosystem. In nature, species do what they have to survive. Eat & breed and that's it. There are more aggressive species, but even then they generally fight for one of the two aforementioned items.

You are a human that landed on 4546b, you are literally the alien. But the entire ecosystem pretty much doesn't care about you. Stalkers stick to their territory and will attack/eat those that enter, but they don't go outside it (except the kiting and clipping issues ), to dominate the surrounding areas. They could, but they don't. Even those damn Crashfish, you have to invade their territory. Reapers hunt around for their meals a bit but once they have it, I would venture it's safe to say that's all they want. Heck, they probably go to bed after easting, like me on Taco Tuesday. Dragon Leviathans, only come out to eat, then they drag their prey back down to their turf and continue their day. The warpers ( yes I got there finally ), were created to ?help?/?enforce? the Kharra quarantine. Yeah they hunt you, but that's what they were programmed to do. When there is no quarantine they are docile to everything. The whole planet exists in ecological balance.

Point: Only humans would say, "Oh man I'm stuck on this planet and I need to make sure I kill everything to survive". That's ARK or GTA, thinking.

Possibility 2: Remember the PDA states that weapons were removed after the massacre at Abraxis Prime ( Did I get that right?). You are given a knife to defend yourself and survive. Plus the tools needed to do so effectively. Subnautica forces you to realize that you don't have the capability of conquering the world. You are not the most dangerous creature on 4546B, there are plenty of predators that see you as nothing more than an unwelcome -albeit tasty- guest. The game is not about you establishing dominance over the environment, it's about surviving it. You are alone, you are on their turf, you have tools and the will to live. But you have to work for it.

Point: The Warpers are literally your only offensive predators. It should be welcome by players that you're not getting another open-world "I'm going to rule this planet or kill everything trying." game. This is a great chance to learn that you can survive without trying to destroy an ecosystem.

Last one I promise: As far as we know regarding the Subnautica universe. There has not been the first encounter yet. Not with tangible "intelligent" life. So for a corporation who has already helped progress interstellar space travel and done these phase gate trips before. Maybe to them, the PRAWN was the most that they ever needed to quell any hostile alien fauna. It's not hard to embrace that they might not have weapons. Maybe a local ship "police", but we don't know enough to surmise it. This is a ship of pilots, engineers, miners, technical staff, even Human Resources was there. Plus the auxiliary mission for the Degrassi rescue. So add medical, commissary, etc. Heck, we don't know if the Aurora itself had armaments.

Point: We should realize that we have been given innovation in gaming. Survival without needless death. Mindless shoot the bad guys and we win. A game that lets us actually survive, not conquer. If people don't like that idea, then they need to play an FPS or any other survival game.

That all being said.. I'm sorry to drone on, but I was in the middle of typing out something for work and I needed a palette cleanser. But yeah the Warpers can be a pain. But only in my first few playthroughs did I even ever have to deal with a one. Same with Reapers. You can go through the whole game and not encounter them ( but you can hear em!)

Authors Note None of the aforementioned information is applicable to Biters. I swerve and make sure I hit them whenever I can. Hell, I'll travel out of my way to kill those. Death to Biters.

Oh btw: If the Warpers were made by the Precursors, and their tech is way more advanced than ours. It's not hard to believe that the Warpers can port out of a stasis field, as being able to hold something in a containment field must be way below teleporting!

@Granistar nice points.

Humans certainly do have weapons, and militaries.
    This game takes place in the same fictional universes as Natural Selection and there's even a character who was enlisted in the TFS, Marguerit Maida, described as such in the Degasi crew manifest:
    • Mercenary, born in the Mongolian States
    • Experienced in ship-to-ship and close quarters combat techniques
    • Tours of duty with the Mongolian Defense Force and the Trans-System Federation
    • Dishonorably discharged from the TSF 15 years ago for going off mission (details classified)
    • Emissary Khasar reports Maida was hired to accompany Paul Torgal onboard the Degasi into uncharted space, and defend the ship in case of assault by pirates or rival corporations.

• JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
  • GranistarGranistar Manchester, NH Join Date: 2019-08-11 Member: 254249Members
    @Maalteromm Thank you for reminding me of those points you made. Very true indeed.

• MudonisMudonis Draconia Join Date: 2016-07-14 Member: 220241Members
    I personally like the game as is (in terms of content and mechanics).

Stasis Rifle from what I've seen is really op for what it does (only just today acquired one so I haven't gotten much use out of it yet).

That said a very basic harpoon gun would be nice (and it doesn't even need to do all that much damage, just enough to discourage predators).

• palloriapalloria Christchurch Join Date: 2020-05-22 Member: 261272Members
    In my opinion it is a question of moral do you. A: cause a massacre using your only survival tools that will most likely mean they are also removed from survival blueprints making it so the next time you or someone else crash lands on a alien planet the only forms of defense and survival are gone. or B: just stop them by freezing them in place or launching them into the atmosphere using a repulsion cannon.
  • frozzyfrozzy Montreal Join Date: 2020-05-26 Member: 261375Members
    If you use the statis rifle to make them go away, do they eventually come back while you are still investigating the area (part of the ship with doors to break) ?
  • SorenzorSorenzor Madrid, Spain Join Date: 2020-04-04 Member: 259618Members
    frozzy wrote: »
    If you use the statis rifle to make them go away, do they eventually come back while you are still investigating the area (part of the ship with doors to break) ?

They can come back, yeah. Usually I just ignore them and runaway from them when they teleport me, until they get tired and go away. It eventually happens. I was killed once doing this however. Sometimes they seem to hit you at the same time that they teleport you to them, that's strange and it doesn't happen too often, but it can happen. And if that happens twice, you are dead.
  • WarartifexWarartifex Join Date: 2021-04-04 Member: 268789Members
    Yes, they die. I killed one once. Took me an hour. I was North of alterra crashed ship, near One of the entrance of Lost River, and a wreck (with loads of repulsion arms for prawn). I used knife, and seamoth. So first i spot him and run ti him, slashing 3 times with my knife. Then i move back to seamoth and i use sonar, to spot where It Is. Consider that that Place Is a desert plain, and sonar signal Will cover almost all the Place with no obstructions. Then i go to It full Speed and hit that with seamoth. And then repeat, according to where It warps: if he warps far from the wreck then go seamoth, of near run to It with knife. It cannot damage you if you catch him off guard and you the One attacking First. Keep seamoth above 50 Energy. My seamoth has two reinforced Shell mods, One depth module and sonar. Bring water, food, knife, repair tool, and the anti-flame suit. Yeah, i hunted specifically that.
    As for ethic aspect:
    weeeell let s Say that warper Is not endogenous species... And let s Say Also It has no digestive apparatus. It Kills what Is infected... and probably It enjoys that. He Is literally a Lab experiment which Is running free After the progenitore Lab was attacked by[ Sea Dragon Leviatan. Moreover, if you build the acquarium and Place inside 4/5 healthy Fishes and 1 khaara infected One, It Will take few minutes before all of them are infected... Which suggests that It Is only a matter of time before all species Will be endangered! You can find all species at all depths with that green skin infection. All infected except leviathans... Who knows... Maybe progenitors wanted to integrate genes from Sea Dragon, which, provoked, attacked the Lab? Isn t progenitor warp technology in your genome enough? /spoiler]