Subnautica can't be played: No intro cutscene, menus broken can't interact with anything

shadowforce96shadowforce96 Join Date: 2019-02-22 Member: 251236Members
Like the title says, I used to play Subnautica on my PC back home, had to swap over to a laptop for college, but the game won't run and can't really even start now. When I open up the game the menu screen has no sound and the intro cutscene is a black screen that I have to skip, then the game loads in where anything interact with just doesn't work and none of the menu options work. Tried all of the troubleshooting options and sound fixes, nothing seems to be working. Even checked out some other fixes I've seen on here.

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited February 2019
    Check this out, see if that's the issue:
    Jalekatash wrote: »
    Guys I found it! I have spent hours and hours trying to figure out my audio with the game and the pause/esc menu bug. I have been having the same problem as pretty much all of you combined, and I have tried updating my realtek and configuring setting for SO long. But I just found out that my problem was never WITH Realtek. There is a program called Sonic Studio that I suppose comes by default with what I assume are Realtek computers that is screwing it all up. I went into my task manager and ended the processes that started with "ss" and that completely solved it for Subnautica and many other games. Maybe your Sonic Studio 3 needs an update, or it just needs to be deleted. Pick your favorite, and I hope this solves all you guys problems.

• cool_ladcool_lad Join Date: 2019-03-07 Member: 251563Members
    I seem to have a similar issue, where the game has no sound, the pause menu doesn't seem to actually work (i.e. I cant actually select any of the options) and none of the equipment can be used.

The weirdest part of this is that I could run the game just fine on the same system. The problem seems to have shown up after reinstalling recently and nothing seems to work (I've reinstalled multiple times and verified the integrity of the game files repeatedly).
  • TraynackTraynack Join Date: 2018-12-17 Member: 246158Members
    I have literally the exact same problem which was described in detail here: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155586/underwater-save-bug
  • madsaucemadsauce San Francisco Join Date: 2013-06-02 Member: 185442Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, Reinforced - Shadow, Subnautica Developer, Subnautica PT Lead
    @cool_lad, @Traynack , and @shadowforce96 can you check out the quote from 0x6A7232 and see if disabling or uninstalling Sonic Studio fixes the issue for you?
  • MrsBookmarkMrsBookmark Join Date: 2019-03-20 Member: 251852Members
    edited March 2019
    Hi,
    i have the same Problems and checked my System for the sonic Studio but it isn't installed.

I had reinstalled the game and deleted all the files in the steam -> common etc. directory before I had installed it again. There is no Sound in die startmenu and when I start a new "Survival" Game (no existing Safed games) there is just the loading screen and "click any key to continue". Then there is just a black screen and after some seconds the info "Press F8 to report any Bugs".

When I start a new game in the sandboxmode I can start the game, but I can not do anything. I tried to open the menu by press "ESC" but I just see the menu and can not click on any button.

I have rebooted the System after the Installation and tried to reinstall my graphic Card Driver but the issue is still the same.

Subnautica Below Zero works on my System properly.

I hope somebody will have a solution for us :smile:

Edit: I had attached the Output_log to the post.

The Problem seems to be the following:

SystemNotInitializedException: FMOD Studio initialization failed : Calling initialize : ERR_OUTPUT_INIT : Error initializing output device.
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.CheckInitResult (RESULT result, System.String cause) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.Initialiase (Boolean forceNoNetwork) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.get_Instance () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

And there is a null pointer exception:

MainLoop aborted

(Filename: C:/Subnautica/plastic_workspace_unity/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    at FMODUnity.RuntimeManager.OnDisable () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0

(Filename: Line: -1)

Edit2: Some hours later
    I fixed it!!! Yeah!
    There was the same sound issue with the Tropico 6 Beta (if you like simulation games, give this one a try!), so I first startet a driver update in the "Dell" Software, but there was no sound or graphic related driver mentioned. After the reboot I checked the sound confiugration and there was no "Raumklang" konfigured. (I don't know the name of the menu on englisch, perhabs it could by dolby sound - i have attached a JPG with the menu).
    Now I have Sound in Subnautica and the game starts properly.
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited March 2019
    Now that's a great first post if I ever saw one! Hi-five, @MrsBookmark !