What if...? - Natural Selection 2

SystemSystem Join Date: 2013-01-29 Member: 182599Members, Super Administrators, Reinforced - Diamond
edited February 2019 in NS2 General Discussion

imageWhat if...? - Natural Selection 2

Ever since NS2 was first announced, one thing I have always looked forward to is the hope of a new lifeform. We sadly weren’t able to get this – but...

Read the full story here

Comments

• McGlaspieMcGlaspie www.team156.com Join Date: 2010-07-26 Member: 73044Members, Super Administrators, Forum Admins, NS2 Developer, NS2 Playtester, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, Squad Five Gold, Reinforced - Onos, WC 2013 - Gold, Subnautica Playtester
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    Yes to all of them!!!
  • NathBNathB Canada Join Date: 2018-01-16 Member: 235098Members
    I love all of them, but if I had to choose, I would go with specimen 02 just because it looks like a T-rex.
  • KatzenfleischKatzenfleisch Join Date: 2014-03-21 Member: 194881Members, Squad Five Blue, Squad Five Silver, NS2 Community Developer
    edited February 2019
    The specimen n06 looks like a happy dog wiggling it's tail and smiling, just waiting for marines to throw a bone :)
  • garrehgarreh UK Join Date: 2014-02-22 Member: 194244Members
    edited February 2019
    Omg this is amazing

#2 - my favourite. I can imagine this lifeform ambushing from above and it has the ability to swallow a marine whole, if you pounce correctly. The marine sees inside the aliens guts and slowly takes damage. He can shoot himself out, takes 3 shotgun shells and the alien will explode it's gut's everywhere. The acid is a good way to break up marines and do a bit of chip damage, but is easily navigated around. When spat on, a huge wall of fire is created which does double damage and almost completely envelopes a small area, cutting marines off from key areas. Marines can extinguish the fire and neutralise the acid with a Pulse grenade.

#5 - I envisage the potential for a gorge to evolve into this lifeform, for a certain amount of extra p-res. Gorges aren't often as useful once tunnels are up, hives, etc, so mid-late game you can evolve into a Battle Gorge, with more offensive abilities. Or alternatively, you can evolve into a Battle Gorge at any time, but with a 5 minute cooldown, so you can't switch between gorge/battle gorge too often so pick your moments appropriately.

#6 - As a res biter myself, I love this lifeform as a potential alternative to the Crush ability, maybe that ability can be changed with something else and instead you rely on this lifeform to do some heavy structure damage. This lifeform could be attractive to newcomers of the game as well, because I see it as almost like a passive-onos where you don't do much damage, but your not easily killable. Your a highly agile, disruptive alien on the battle field.
  • Deck_Deck_ Join Date: 2014-07-20 Member: 197526Members
    Yeah it's early but I like #2 the best so far. I think the lifeform should be bigger than a gorge or skulk or it won't feel like as signficant of a change to the game imo. Also, I like the idea of the short arms to distinquish it from a fade look. Plus, everyone likes the T-rex, so something vaguely similar would be fun.

We were talking in the UWE discord about having a shotgun like ability for it. Maybe it could spray acid in a similar spread to a shotgun. Could be fun. If they are going to add a new lifeform to the game, I don't think it should be a support role all the way. Might as well give it fun fragging/damage power while giving people an alternate to fade.
  • SquishpokePOOPFACESquishpokePOOPFACE -21,248 posts (ignore below) Join Date: 2012-10-31 Member: 165262Members, Reinforced - Shadow
    *a gorge evolves into any one of these horrendous monsters*

Me: they can't do that! Shoot them... or something!

• Saffron_bakerSaffron_baker Sweden Join Date: 2015-06-09 Member: 205352Members
    This looks incredible! They all look so amazing i can't choose one if i had to but mabey combine them for a ultimate new awsome lifeform? Thanks for sharing!
  • MouseMouse The Lighter Side of Pessimism Join Date: 2002-03-02 Member: 263Members, NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Squad Five Blue, Reinforced - Shadow, WC 2013 - Shadow
    It's a bit of a tease. I'd be surprised if they introduced a new lifeform this late.
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Mouse wrote: »
    It's a bit of a tease. I'd be surprised if they introduced a new lifeform this late.

Agreed, even as someone who has made two new lifeforms already. It would make more sense to create NS3.
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow

I hope it is just a tease. I am more afraid UWE will release something half baked just to attract old players back to the game at the expense of good gameplay. UWE has been known to use the pareto principle to justify releasing broken or poorly done features before.

I fail to see the value any of these six lifeforms will bring beyond being a draw for old players to return. This seems to be a move equivalent to the jumping the shark trope. Maybe I am lacking imagination here. I look forward to be proven wrong.

Worse yet is that I am finding very few players have heard of this move by UWE except by word of mouth from the people who hang out on discord. If this is a big marketing move, it seems to have fallen a little short. I am really unsure what UWE is trying to do here.
  • KasharicKasharic Hull, England Join Date: 2013-03-27 Member: 184473Members, Forum Admins, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, NS2 Community Developer
    This isn't a marketing move, its the devs having fun considering possibilities that have absolutely no guarantees or any development time into them... its just people who love the game, toying with ideas that sound fun. No more, No less.

They even said in the stream that it is art drawn up for fun just thinking about the future possibilities "none of which are set in stone" when the current road map is completed.

I think it is very jaded to consider this to be marketing in any way when it was done purely out of the love of the game by rantology as a passion project. Jeez, chill out guys, lighten up and have a bit of fun ffs, this is a GAME after all...
  • NordicNordic Long term camping in Kodiak Join Date: 2012-05-13 Member: 151995Members, NS2 Playtester, NS2 Map Tester, Reinforced - Supporter, Reinforced - Silver, Reinforced - Shadow
    Kasharic wrote: »
    This isn't a marketing move, its the devs having fun considering possibilities that have absolutely no guarantees or any development time into them... its just people who love the game, toying with ideas that sound fun. No more, No less.

They even said in the stream that it is art drawn up for fun just thinking about the future possibilities "none of which are set in stone" when the current road map is completed.

I think it is very jaded to consider this to be marketing in any way when it was done purely out of the love of the game by rantology as a passion project. Jeez, chill out guys, lighten up and have a bit of fun ffs, this is a GAME after all...

I missed the stream, and reading this blog post, and by what I have heard from others I have had no indication that it was a passion project. At most, I saw a "We have not as of this moment decided to pursue making a sixth lifeform." This just sounded to me like indecisiveness.

I may be being a bit pessimistic or jaded, but without the stream, I am lacking a lot of information. I am just working with the information I have.
  • eXaeXa Join Date: 2007-09-22 Member: 62400Members
    Nordic wrote: »

I hope it is just a tease. I am more afraid UWE will release something half baked just to attract old players back to the game at the expense of good gameplay. UWE has been known to use the pareto principle to justify releasing broken or poorly done features before.

I fail to see the value any of these six lifeforms will bring beyond being a draw for old players to return. This seems to be a move equivalent to the jumping the shark trope. Maybe I am lacking imagination here. I look forward to be proven wrong.

Worse yet is that I am finding very few players have heard of this move by UWE except by word of mouth from the people who hang out on discord. If this is a big marketing move, it seems to have fallen a little short. I am really unsure what UWE is trying to do here.

You are destroying your own point, like you said, why would they care to attract old players to the game when it wouldn't bring them anything?

Also she says:
    But, as a disclaimer, these are only ideas at this point. We have not as of this moment decided to pursue making a sixth lifeform.

I personally would love a new lifeform just for the sake of discovering a new UNW creation and play NS2 like it's 2010 again!
    edited February 2019
    eXa wrote: »
    You are destroying your own point, like you said, why would they care to attract old players to the game when it wouldn't bring them anything?
    Attracting old players could dramatically increase the concurrent player count and is a worthwhile goal.

Edit: You said I was destroying my own point, and then proceed to misrepresent my point.

I was trying to make express concern for UWE releasing a poorly implemented unnecessary 6th lifeform.

If UWE successfully implemented a 6th lifeform, I think it would be a huge draw for the thousands upon thousands of old ns2 players to come back and try ns2 again. Ns2 has improved significantly since release, and a lot of these old players might stick around for a while. Ns2 desperately needs more concurrent players to get more concurrent players. A 6th lifeform could be the seed that makes it happen.

I may have failed to realize this was just a fun exercise for UWE. I don't think the blog post alone makes that clear. I have yet to make time to go watch the last stream UWE did.
    edited February 2019
    eXa wrote: »
    Attracting old players could dramatically increase the concurrent player count and is a worthwhile goal.

The way to attract old players isn't to add in a 6th lifeform, its to release dates for a 2nd WC. The way to bring in new players is to do a big marketing campaign that includes sponsored streams from big twitch names. Both of these things could be tied together to do a BIG marketing/advertising push for NS2 and could dramatically increase the playercount and would theoretically increase retention also... but only time will tell if either or both of these things will ever happen.

But yeah, if you want to check out the VOD its here -
    Its a good watch regardless, was a fun stream and the last 15 minutes ish are talking about these images and how Rant did a whole powerpoint presentation to back up her drawings just to encourage peoples imaginations and have some fun XD
    edited February 2019
    I don't see how a 6th lifeform wouldn't bring back a ton of people just to try the new lifeform. Otherwise I agree with everything you said Kash.
    I don't see how a 6th lifeform wouldn't bring back a ton of people just to try the new lifeform. Otherwise I agree with everything you said Kash.

I think it has the potential to, but compared to a WC or similar, its not going to be a huge thing... and depending on how the lifeform plays, it may just push even more people away.

Exposure to larger audiences is safer, creates competition and hypes people up, adding a 6th lifeform risks alienating (pun not intended) the audience the game currently has to try to bring people who stopped playing back, adding a new lifeform isn't going to bring new people in obviously, they don't know any different, but current players can be pushed away and people who already left aren't guaranteed to return and stay just for the 6th lifeform... seems like it would need to be something very carefully planned and its still a big risk... holding a new event that creates hype is way safer and not only brings old players back but stirs up interest for potential new players too.
  • Nautical_NickNautical_Nick Australia Join Date: 2016-06-12 Member: 218444Members
    I know next to nothing about how to make games or if this would even fit you ideas, but maybe using some of these elements as Commander minions/abilities...?
  • NintendowsNintendows Join Date: 2016-11-07 Member: 223716Members, Squad Five Blue
    Jeez, chill out guys, lighten up and have a bit of fun ffs, this is a GAME after all...

Hilarious for you of all people to say.

In any case, I don't think anyone is needing to chill out at all. No one in this thread is angry or emotional. I have seen nothing but thoroughly neutral response to this. If anything, you should be shouting GET PUMPED! STOP BEING SO CHILL if you think it's a good idea.

I think it has the potential to, but compared to a WC or similar, its not going to be a huge thing... and depending on how the lifeform plays, it may just push even more people away.

Exposure to larger audiences is safer, creates competition and hypes people up, adding a 6th lifeform risks alienating (pun not intended) the audience the game currently has to try to bring people who stopped playing back, adding a new lifeform isn't going to bring new people in obviously, they don't know any different, but current players can be pushed away and people who already left aren't guaranteed to return and stay just for the 6th lifeform... seems like it would need to be something very carefully planned and its still a big risk... holding a new event that creates hype is way safer and not only brings old players back but stirs up interest for potential new players too.

Hence my concern for UWE releasing a poorly implemented unnecessary 6th lifeform.
    Nintendows wrote: »
    Jeez, chill out guys, lighten up and have a bit of fun ffs, this is a GAME after all...

Why do you think that?

Why do you think that?

You're take NS2 very seriously.
  • deathshrouddeathshroud Join Date: 2010-04-10 Member: 71291Members
    edited February 2019
    Would rather see a 3rd race than a 6th lifeform.

I think the Kharaa have all the bases covered already and the only real way to do it is to do it properly with a new faction to play. Balancing would be a complete nightmare but it makes more sense than altering the current factions this drastically.

Why do you think that?

You're take NS2 very seriously.

I haven't played ns2 seriously in about 2 - 3 years.
    edited March 2019

In any case, I don't think anyone is needing to chill out at all. No one in this thread is angry or emotional. I have seen nothing but thoroughly neutral response to this. If anything, you should be shouting GET PUMPED! STOP BEING SO CHILL if you think it's a good idea.

I don't think anyone sounded especially angry or emotional either. I made the one negative comment, and it wasn't even that negative.

I don't understand why Nin would disagree with your post either.
  • skav2skav2 Join Date: 2007-05-28 Member: 61037Members, Reinforced - Gold
    I really like the idea of a new alien! it would give much needed variety and break in the current state of things.
  • .trixX..trixX. Budapest Join Date: 2007-10-11 Member: 62605Members
    The abilities outlined are awesome (apart from the ranged attacks, aren't the teams supposed to be asymmetric?)
    But instead of introducing a brand new life-form, i'd rather opt for a "modular" cast system...

As a skulk, you could choose between a canine/feline anatomy.
    As a gorge, you could choose between defense/offense support.
    Etc...

This way we get the options to spice up the game, and the gameplay wouldn't have to be refactored drastically.
  • CombatEngineerCombatEngineer Join Date: 2019-03-04 Member: 251511Members
    Awesome concepts! They really spark the imagination :)

From the visual standpoint all of them are amazing, but Specimen 2 is definitely the winner here for me with its T-Rex vibes. The combo-centered gameplay seems like a fun idea too! I also like the movement ideas from specimens 1 (grapple) and 4 (rocket-jump). Specimen 6 seems like a cool concept too with its focus on disruption.
  • Mc_IntireMc_Intire Join Date: 2013-02-02 Member: 182745Members
    edited March 2019
    The fifth lifeform is intriguing.

Something that can go with an Onos without having to hide behind it all the time, maybe with a more powerful yet less versatile heal, that is more efficient on lifeforms and less on structures. Or the ability to combine a common healspray with a babbler like armor (Used on the same team mate they increase each other's effectivity). Maybe the ability to apply babblers to multiple friendlies, act as some sort of mobile base for lower lifeforms to fight around while being supported.

As for combat prowess, I was thinking about a drone carrier kind of approach. The ability to have multiple babbler like minions for different tasks as well as a variety of gas sprays to support friendlies. The main focus would be to micromanage the various abilities and their energy usage while being a bit more forgiving when taking damage. Maybe have this lifeform look at team mates more than at enemies, if you know what I mean.

Suppressing at least one of the "lower lifeform killers" like grenade launchers, flame throwers or railguns would be great. An AOE ability that distorts the vision of marines, akin to the Shade ability, would be great. Maybe even shake off their aim. The ability to "remove" oxygen from an immediate area to do damage to marine health if they are exposed for too long and to kill fire in the area. Being able to "digest" weapons or health packs to regain energy for themselves, giving part of the gain towards close by lifeforms like a small shift.

Maybe even the ability to shut down certain buildings with an ability. Maybe even reduce the effectivity of power surge so PGs take longer to "charge up" when passing from one location to the next when the next gate is under the influence, RTs give less resources or observatories take longer to beacon/do not quick revive marines that are currently spawning etc.+

Lots of "maybe"... hopefully not too much :D