Mods for new Subnautica playthrough

gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
I just looked on the Subnautica nexusmods page and was pleasantly surprised at how many mods there are for the game now.

This has got me interested in another playthrough, what mods would you recommend for a veteran player to breathe some new life into the game?

Comments

• kolboomkolboom Germany Join Date: 2016-03-22 Member: 214670Members
    I liked the map mod very much so you would start a new game and have as target to cartograph the whole map (which is technically awesome)
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    I was recently in the same boat (sub?) and I would recommend that you use the list of most popular and get almost all of them. The only ones I'd avoid for now as they have bugs are Habitat Control and Custom Beacons.

Enjoy.
  • gamer1000kgamer1000k Join Date: 2017-04-29 Member: 230121Members
    Thanks for the suggestions.

A map mod is already at the top of my list, the dev's stubbornness on refusing to include a map is one of my biggest pet peeves with them.

Skimming through the top mods was my fallback plan, thanks for the tips on the buggy mods so I don't get a bunch of weird issues.

One type of mod that I don't see well represented are rebalance mods. My other big pet peeve is the game balance, especially around energy/O2/survival needs and I was hoping there would be some mods to tweak those values. Might have to look into modding it myself if it isn't too difficult just to change a few values.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    edited February 2019
    gamer1000k wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions.

A map mod is already at the top of my list, the dev's stubbornness on refusing to include a map is one of my biggest pet peeves with them.

Skimming through the top mods was my fallback plan, thanks for the tips on the buggy mods so I don't get a bunch of weird issues.

One type of mod that I don't see well represented are rebalance mods. My other big pet peeve is the game balance, especially around energy/O2/survival needs and I was hoping there would be some mods to tweak those values. Might have to look into modding it myself if it isn't too difficult just to change a few values.

Yeah the stubbornness can be a bit peeving for me as well. If there's something they don't want to include (or want to remove) it doesn't matter how much community support it gets.

If there's something they're on the fence about, sure. They'll listen and maybe even consider it. Otherwise, chances are it's a foregone conclusion (Maybe if someone like Jack spoke up about it but even then I have my doubts). Which makes me worried about the Ice Dragon, but at least it's only a "Candidate" for now and not firmly in the "Removal" category.

That would be perhaps my only negative opinion of them. By far their team and Subnautica's a huge net positive for me, enough that I'm willing to overlook relatively small matters like this and they could be doing far far worse. Server-only Subnautica with MTX'es thrown in for example? Yeah, a little stubbornness is fine considering what other people have been doing with their games.

Modders have given us maps, they're on the way to giving us multiplayer, and if UWE pulls through with their considering making a Map Editor? Well, then we're pretty much set!

I'd been wondering about that too, since I've never engaged in modding games beyond fiddling with XML files for Civilization IV and making Traits and stuff for Stellaris (Which by the way, we can recreate Alterra with now since they've added MegaCorps :wink: )
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    I've got the Nexus Mods categorized here: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155327/p1

Any feedback on that list welcome.
  • RezcaRezca United States Join Date: 2016-04-28 Member: 216078Members
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    I've got the Nexus Mods categorized here: https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155327/p1

Any feedback on that list welcome.

With a list like that, at this point all that's really left is for a formal Map Editor to be a thing :wink:
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2019
    Be aware though that some of the mods don't work properly or introduce bugs, like your cyclops spazzing out. Some of them are outdated and haven't been updated recently and some don't work well together.

jh1us54eyr82.jpg

this is my list.
  • JAZZYFORSUBNAUTICAJAZZYFORSUBNAUTICA Join Date: 2018-05-01 Member: 240453Members
    the sea wasp for sure :D
  • MichloMichlo Originally Wallasey, UK now Los Angeles, US. Join Date: 2016-09-10 Member: 222215Members
    Be aware though that some of the mods don't work properly or introduce bugs, like your cyclops spazzing out. Some of them are outdated and haven't been updated recently and some don't work well together.

jh1us54eyr82.jpg

this is my list.

Surely you can tell us WHICH mods you're talking about then?

So far, I've only had all beacons disappearing with the Habitat Control Module (which I removed).

The Cyclops "spazzing out" has always been a thing.

Cheers.
  • RequiemfangRequiemfang Join Date: 2015-02-22 Member: 201492Members
    edited February 2019
    Michlo wrote: »

Surely you can tell us WHICH mods you're talking about then?

So far, I've only had all beacons disappearing with the Habitat Control Module (which I removed).

The Cyclops "spazzing out" has always been a thing.

Cheers.

Cyclops hasn't spazzed out on me so far so it's not a bug the devs have kept around by not patching it, it's a bug introduced by the Torpedo Improvement mod which you can see people reporting on on the mod page on Nexus in the posts section of the mod. The toggle machines mod has issues where the math is buggered up. Prawn upgrade access also has issues with two mods which is the Customized Storage and Slot extender mods. Docked vehicle storage access has issues as well. Those are just some examples don't blindly download a mod until you have read the most recent posts and especially if the mod has a forum threads for bugs, read up about the mod first before adding it to your game.

I don't know which mods work or don't work since I haven't tested or played with them all, personally the ones I am using don't appear to cause any though any mod adding more tabs in the fabricator will make the list a bit bigger which in turn can push recipes up or down out of the screen view, this can be partly solved by making more branching tabs for items which is simple to do if you know how to open notepad or use notepad ++.
  • md34md34 Australia Join Date: 2019-02-12 Member: 250843Members
    Definitely some of the inventory management mods. Something as simple as accessing the seamoth or prawn inventories while docked is a massive timesaver.