Great Idea for the Cyclops

RobinKumbaSyRobinKumbaSy France Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204615Members
I was looking through the old threads and I saw this sketch from Christian2506. Now this idea is one of the best I ever saw on these forums yet. 

Our beloved LifePod is not much of a help once you've built your first base. You probably use it sometimes again to craft a glass or two batteries when you swim pass it, but it quickly gets useless after a while. 
This guy had this awesome idea to actually dock the Pod to the Cyclops, making it a great feature and upgrade.
If your submarine gets attacked and flooded, you could hop on the Pod and eject yourself to the surface. 

The Pod could also be your private quarters, adding a little storage capacity, and extra fabricator and another exit from the top. Using the Pod's fabricator would not drain the Cyclops energy, but you could also choose to rewire the LifePod's power to your sub for an extra power in any emergency scenario. An escape Pod should still be used as an escape Pod right ?

Of course it would need some heavy modification to the already implemented Cyclops's hull, but the Devs need to see this and take it in consideration !

Comments

• aeroripperaeroripper Join Date: 2005-02-25 Member: 42471NS1 Playtester, Forum Moderators, Constellation
    Great sketch and idea.  Although the model might be too big to fit comfortably on the cyclops (even with its cushion deflated).  I do like the idea of an escape pod as a add on module to the 'clops though.  
  • RobinKumbaSyRobinKumbaSy France Join Date: 2015-05-18 Member: 204615Members
    Great sketch and idea.  Although the model might be too big to fit comfortably on the cyclops (even with its cushion deflated).  I do like the idea of an escape pod as a add on module to the 'clops though.  
    Sure, the LifePod's design is not really fitting with the Cyclops's one. But maybe by adding some animation to it (Exterior side-ladder retracting into the hull, cushions deflating) and by adding a little docking mechanism that would wrap the LifePod once docked, creating a smoother allure, I think it could just work great. 

Well, I'm far from a motion designer, but I have this feeling when something looks logic and exciting...
  • TotallyLemonTotallyLemon Atlanta Georgia Join Date: 2015-05-22 Member: 204764Members
    edited June 2015
    Great sketch...

Unfortunately, the escape pod is very lopsided and not hydrodynamic. Besides, the seamoth is an excellent escape pod already. Also, the Cyclops would need a top down remake to accommodate the escape pod - perhaps this would be better reserved for any future, larger sub. 

Complications include:
    What if the Cyclops is in a cave?
    What if the Cyclops is turned over?
    Because the pod is integrated into the craft, that means the Cyclops cannot be raised after the pod is ejected. That, or the helm will be cut off from the aft sections. 

I only see this idea being used in a larger sub for used in open water; at extreme depths - when all other options have been expended. 
  • SubnauticaRandomSubnauticaRandom Join Date: 2019-01-31 Member: 249926Members
    What about a cyclops with another vehicle hangar for a small escape pod?

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    11gokza.jpg

... and welcome to the forums!