Below Zero system requirements question

Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
Hi, everyone, long time no see. It's good to be back and excited for the new game. I really missed this community.

Anyway, I know no one can really tell me now, at the earliest stage of early acces, how the reqirements are gonna change for the full game BUT... I am not tech savvy and I'd like to ask those of you who actually know how stuff works - does it make any sense for me to buy Below Zero? Asking because I saw recommended requirements for Below Zero and my heart fell. I have an old comp and I absolutely can not afford any upgrades right now. This is what I have: i7 4550 @1.50GHz, GTX 770, 16 GB RAM, no SSD. It played Subnautica fine with a mix of mid and high settings, it wouldn't give me 60FPS but I'm fine with anything above 30 really. I do however need anti aliasing and textures on high or my eyes will bleed. So, any thoughts/opinions for me, please?

Comments

• NorthernBruceNorthernBruce Canada Join Date: 2017-07-03 Member: 231544Members
    I'm playing on very much the same set up with 32 GB of ram and both drives as ssd's. Because of Samsung's Magician program I'm not getting nearly as much performance on my game drive so it should be comparable. I run anti aliasing FXAA and medium quality. Detail and water quality set to high. Game is choppy but I attribute that to early release. Seems to play fairly well. Good enough for me...
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    Eh? @NorthernBruce Even with Magician only enableing RAPID mode on your OS drive, an SSD is leagues above the speed of a traditional hard drive. Do a benchmark CrystalDiskMark if you don't believe me.

@Calarand77 do yourself the biggest favor you'll ever do and get a 1TB 860 EVO or similar. Use Samsung's transfer software to put your OS on the SSD, then keep programs that open on startup (like say, Steam and Spotify) on the SSD with the OS, and any games that need the extra speed (like Subnautica and any game you play all the time that has high loading times). Put everything else on the normal spinny disk and use symbolic links to map them to your SSD.

For example, I have all of my user profile folders (Documents, Downloads, Videos, Music, Pictures, Saved Games) moved to D:\Users\jr2\ and then use (in an elevated cmd prompt, right-click cmd and hit 'run as admin' and put in:
    mklink /d C:\Users\jr2\Documents D:\Users\jr2\Documents

Do that for every folder you need to put on the spinny disk. It's mklink <Link> <Target> and /d means it's a directory instead of a file. TAKE NOTE, you cannot have a directory / file of the same name as <Link> where you want the link to be (so, for example, you cannot have an empty folder called Documents in \Users\jr2\, you would need to actually move the folder to the target location, not just its contents).

There is GUI versions of mklink you can use, but I'm not familiar enough to recommend an easy one to use, but this one seems alright:
    https://sourceforge.net/projects/symlink-creator/ (EDIT: Downloaded and tried, I'd use this one as it shows you the command it will execute and this is helpful)
    I have this one installed (but haven't used it as I'm comfortable with the cmd environment)
    http://schinagl.priv.at/nt/hardlinkshellext/hardlinkshellext.html
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    @0x6A7232 - thanks so much for advice but as I said: I can't invest even a cent into any upgrades for my rig, for many reasons I'd rather not discuss here. I will remember your suggestions for future, though.

So I guess I could potentially run the new game with what I have... with whatever caveats having a slow drive brings. Definitely got something to think about. Thanks for the replies, guys!
  • GlassDeviantGlassDeviant Terra Join Date: 2017-02-27 Member: 228342Members
    edited February 2019
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    do yourself the biggest favor you'll ever do and get a 1TB 860 EVO or similar. Use Samsung's transfer software to put your OS on the SSD, then keep programs that open on startup (like say, Steam and Spotify) on the SSD with the OS, and any games that need the extra speed (like Subnautica and any game you play all the time that has high loading times). Put everything else on the normal spinny disk and use symbolic links to map them to your SSD.

That's good advice, but only for technically minded people who have some computer knowledge. Everyone else should not monkey around with symlinks. I don't even use them and I worked in IT for decades, they are unnecessary unless you have a specific need for what the do. A 1TB SSD is plenty big enough for an OS, apps and games as long as you keep your actively installed list to a reasonable level (say about 20 or less, how many games do you need to play at a time? I have 19 now and my 1TB SSD is only around half full) and uninstall or archive the ones you aren't expecting to use again, or for a long time at least. Everything else can be archived to HDD rather than needing to be kept in the "live" arena via symlinking.

@Calarand77 You will be fine with your current computer. It won't scream through the game but it will handle it. I don't know why you believe you need AA (unless your screen is lower res than 1080p), but that GPU should not have a problem giving you at least up to 1080p. Not having an SSD will give you slower content loading times, but that's all it will do, and since you've played Subnautica you would be familiar with this fact already. Fiddle with the other graphics settings if you need to, like Bloom, Lens Dirt, DoF, Motion blur (which is a myth dev studios really need to expunge from the entire gaming universe), ambient occlusion, screen space reflections and dithering.
  • Calarand77Calarand77 lurking in general forums Join Date: 2016-01-22 Member: 211786Members
    @Calarand77 You will be fine with your current computer. It won't scream through the game but it will handle it. I don't know why you believe you need AA (unless your screen is lower res than 1080p), but that GPU should not have a problem giving you at least up to 1080p. Not having an SSD will give you slower content loading times, but that's all it will do, and since you've played Subnautica you would be familiar with this fact already. Fiddle with the other graphics settings if you need to, like Bloom, Lens Dirt, DoF, Motion blur (which is a myth dev studios really need to expunge from the entire gaming universe), ambient occlusion, screen space reflections and dithering.

Thank you so much for this idiot-friendly explanation, I really do appreciate that! :) I usually keep all bells and whistles like lens dirt, dof, motion blur, etc, off for my games, even if my card can manage them without problems. They're just... annoying and seem unnecessary to me. anyway, good to know I can go and get the game to enjoy Subnautica again.
    edited February 2019
    @GlassDeviant The only thing I recommend to symlink is personal files, as they stand to gain no benefit from SSD use besides wasting space (and in the case of downloads, music, videos, and for some, pictures, this is a lot of space) and as well, if you need to recover a file from an accidental deletion, the SSD almost immediately purges the data to allow for fast writes, whereas a normal HDD does not need to do this, and you have a window of opportunity to (possibly) recover the file. Another reason is that I can completely blow out the Windows partition, either on purpose or because of a malfunction, and keep all of my user data intact. Normally you'd have to go fishing around \Windows.old\Users\ if you had to do a clean reinstall (assuming the partition isn't corrupted or some other nonsense).

I mean, you're right, but that ^ is my reasoning. You can fool around with the Windows registry to get it to store those folders somewhere else, but that seems more complicated than a rather simple command line (from my point of view, anyways).

I suppose it will make more sense to you when I say my user data (Downloads, Videos, Pictures, Music, Documents, Desktop) totals 450GB at this point. That's half my SSD right there, and a whole crapload of data that I couldn't really re-acquire very easily if lost (some of it is from old websites that no longer exist and / or software that is no longer distributed etc).

@Calarand77 @GlassDeviant a cheaper alternative to an SSD that might help with load times until you can afford an actual SSD can be had by using a fast (look up the specs) USB 3.0 flash / thumb drive as a Windows ReadyBoost drive, see explanation here: https://www.techrepublic.com/article/is-readyboost-still-an-effective-tool-in-windows-10/

You can get a really fast (200 / 150 MegaByes per second read / write speed) 128GB drive here for $35 (you can click the 64GB version for $22). The $50, 128GB Pro variant is, of course, much faster (420 / 380 MB/s Read / Write).

I got that flash drive as the pick for top speed from this list on LifeWire.

Actually, I take that back, with that kind of capacity and speed, even with the 64GB variant, just make a Steam Library on the thing and put Subnautica on it and you'll see a night & day difference, I think.

Although... actually it would probably be the best to delegate ~32GB for ReadyBoost on the drive, and then install Subnautica to the remaining space, then your system might get some performance increase booting up as well.

@GlassDeviant what do you think?
  • esdigitalesdigital Join Date: 2019-02-02 Member: 250109Members
    Is below zero only on pc / Mac, or is early release available for Xbox one?
    @0x6A7232 - I'm honestly not bothered by long loading times. I'm old, I stopped hurrying everywhere about 20 years ago, I can wait. All I really need is more or less sharp look and FPS at minimum 30, and I'm happy.

Sadly, my system doesn't seem to be capable of that - I bought the game and even on lowest settings I couldn't get more than 20 FPS in the surface areas. It was slightly better underwater, but only slightly. And all that on lowest settings that look like garbage and murder my eyes. So I refunded the game and all I can really do is hope for some epic optimization to happen for actual launch.
    edited February 2019
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    (all the stuff)

Yeah, I think that would give you a pretty significant boost, but it's not for the faint hearted. For someone like Calarand77 it's a lot of unnecessary complication and expense (for whatever reason he's disinclined to spend a single cent on his computer) to get a few seconds quicker load time at the start and less as progress through the game necessitates. For someone willing to spend a few bucks and go to the effort, and who understand what's going on not just at a superficial level but also in depth (no pun intended), sure and have fun.

It's kind of like taking a machine down to bare metal, installing Linux on it, then creating a Windows 10 VM for your gaming. Sure there may be reasons a person would have/want to do that, but if the machine exists primarily for gaming it's pointless, though possibly fun and entertaining for those of us who get off on that sort of thing, myself included. I did it once (with Win7 rather than 10) and it had a negative impact because of the abstraction layer (if I have the correct term there). I have no idea whether there have been advances to compensate for the problem.

Personally I wish I was wealthy and could just hand out 2TB SSDs like candy, they are just so much better than HDDs for anything but mass archival storage. As it is, I scrape by with one 1TB and manually offload datafiles (the aforementioned downloads, music, videos, pictures, etc.) of which I have ~14TB to HDD.

Edit: Just an aside, if you happen to have a fast (7200rpm), small, spare HDD just lying around, you can create a dedicated swap file that will essentially just be a place for the OS to offload a lot of its overhead. I do this even on my PC which has an SSD that is new enough to not have to worry about the wear (or whatever term applies), partly just out of habit. I haven't taken the time to see if it ever even gets used, it's just there.
    edited February 2019
    There has been sort of progress on the abstraction layer, if you've heard of WINE, which lets you directly run Windows programs on Linux, but it isn't perfect yet, and of course, as its name states, it's not an emulator (WINE Is Not an Emulator), so you don't have a real Windows OS running; it's sort of like the Windows Subsystem for Linux (WSL) that you can use now (which lets you directly run Linux programs and shell on Windows, you can install it and about 5 distros currently, using the Windows Store).

For swap, since SSDs are now sturdy enough, I just leave it on the primary SSD. By the time it wears down enough to need replacing it will be time to upgrade it due to capacity anyways (hence the 250GB SSD I also have in the system besides the 1TB, currently not being used for much, actually).

Know what would be amazing? A bunch of NVMe SSDs in RAID-5 *drools*
    edited February 2019
    Oh hell yes.

But how would you get more than one or two into a single computer? As far as I know you can plug one into the special slot if it exists on the motherboard and there is apparently a standard PCIx (?) card that you can get which will let you add another but you can't use more than one for some reason I forget, for a max of 2.

Maybe someone will come up with a special card that takes 4+ and lets you set up your own custom RAID configuration (I prefer 4E), if they haven't already.

Edit: Yep, Intel and HighPoint makes them. Drool! Only about $400, plus the cost of the NVMe drives. Maybe after I win the lottery.