Problem with graphics settings in save game restored from backup.

MarrixMarrix Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247285Members
Hello everyone! I recently upgraded my computer with a solid state drive and put a fresh install of windows on it. I installed the Epic Games Launcher on it so i could install Subnautica on the SSD and finally set the game detail to "High". I had backed up my original save game files and so then put it in its proper place so i could continue playing. To be specific, i put the save folder called "slot0000" in the fallowing location C:\Users\Username\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\Subnautica\SavedGames

What i found is if i start a new game after setting the graphic detail to high it will work just fine. But when i load my original game, it seems to ignore the high detail setting that i set in the menu prior to loading the game. Instead it is obviously still using medium detail setting, which is what i had to use before the SSD upgrade.

I suspect there is a file within the slot0000 save file itself that has graphic settings stored and is overriding what i set in the game menu. But i'm not sure. Does anyone know how to fix this? I would be very grateful... i have nearly 100 hours in this save game.

Comments

• MarrixMarrix Join Date: 2018-12-27 Member: 247285Members
    Update: Now new games i create also ignore the graphic detail setting i have set in the options menu. Playing around with things trying to fix this, i found that if i took my save game files out of their folder, and then deleted the folder called "Subnautica" in this location C:\Users\username\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds ... it would make it so that when i opened the game it would regenerate the deleted folder and its contents. After that, and before replacing any saved games files, it would allow a new created game to obey the graphics settings i put in the options menu.

Now however, even when i do this, it is simply ignoring the graphics settings in the option menu no matter what, even when my old save game is not involved at all.

I am now wondering if this has nothing to do with my restored save game, and is maybe it's own problem. Can't find answers on the web.

If anyone can help me i would be grateful. I'm going to post this problem in the bug report forum.
    Update: Ok I may have found an answer. I found something indicating that "if your machine has less than exactly 6144mb (a little over 6GB) of RAM and you select "High" for the Detail option in the Graphics Settings menu your Texture Quality will be dropped down to 1, lower even than the "Low" option, meaning you have to set the texture quality using the F3 menu every time you start the game."

Apparently there is a mod to remove this requirement. Here is a link to the post where i found this:
    https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/comment/2390928#Comment_2390928

Look at the part of the post that says "Detail High - Blurry Textures Fix"

To be clear, I only have 4 gigs of ram. Also, i have absolutely no problem running the high detail textures. What was missing until recently was a solid state hard drive, which apparently makes a big big difference on the loading of Subnautica's textures. Online people have said that even high end computer stats won't run high detail settings without a SSD. I probably only ran into this problem where it was ignoring my graphic settings after my SSD upgrade because before i was intending to run it on low settings. I feel it was probably ignoring my settings the whole time, because when i first started playing, i did notice that switching between low and medium settings made no visual difference, but ignored it at the time. Clearly my 4 gigs of ram can run the high quality texture detail setting, so this ram check the game has is unneeded and obstructive. Probably why there is a mod to remove it.

Anyway i'm leaving this long detailed stuff here in case it helps anyone else.

Be well friends!
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited January 2019
    @madsauce ^ Indeed, this is a bug, and the mod fixes it: I included that in the "Fixes" category of my categorized mod list. I imagine you guys already have the bug on your to-stomp list, but if not, there it is.
    Yes a bug that took me some time to catch onto. I realize now i had always been playing on ultra low details, but thought i was playing on medium. I also made a post under suggestions to ask them to please remove this. I feel it would help a lot of people.