[Crash] Subnautica crashes on startup

2»

Comments

• gabrielfoxgabrielfox Brasil Join Date: 2018-12-24 Member: 246864Members
    Hi. Same thing here. Game crashes on startup. Here's my error log.

https :// pastebin. com/ ES9x43u1
  • TakkaTakka Join Date: 2018-12-21 Member: 246634Members
  • Torvar72Torvar72 Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 245982Members
    The game shows it wants to start then just quits I don't even get a load screen now I've reinstalled the GPU drivers, removed the Epic launcher uninstalled the game and nothing. I even did this - Opt out of Beta in Epic Launcher
    - restart Epic Laucnher
    - go to settings (top right in the epic launcher - global settings, not subnautica's settings)
    - go to subnautica from the global options menu
    - open menu
    - open additional command line arguments
    - paste " -vrmode none "
    - and still nothing
  • MesumMesum Ukraine Join Date: 2018-12-23 Member: 246812Members
    I want to reinstall the game but where are saves stored? I didnt find them to backup before deleting
  • drbobdrbob Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246031Members
    edited December 2018
    Mesum wrote: »
    I want to reinstall the game but where are saves stored? I didnt find them to backup before deleting

Savegames are stored in
    %userprofile%\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\Subnautica\SavedGames

Paste the above into the explorer address bar. I haven't lost them when uninstalling and reinstalling subnautica but I back them up anyways to be safe.
  • snebicsnebic United States Join Date: 2018-12-24 Member: 246929Members
    edited December 2018
    My game keeps crashing before i see anything. I launch a game and then seconds later the crash window pops up I've attached my error and output logs.
    I've tried updating my graphics drivers, I've completely cleaned and reinstalled my graphics drivers and have tried updating windows as well as the other methods mentioned in this topic. I've noticed that many other games that use unity aren't working as well, could this be a larger issue or is this something specific to subnautica? Thanks
    pastebin dot com slash Zhzd38S4
    pastebin dot com slash G5xWcSGv
    (sorry, not allowed to directly post links)
  • gwerrygwerry United States Join Date: 2018-12-24 Member: 246949Members
    Same thing happens to me like what... Here is my error and output logs...
    edited December 2018
    drbob wrote: »
    Savegames are stored in

Paste the above into the explorer address bar. I haven't lost them when uninstalling and reinstalling subnautica but I back them up anyways to be safe.
    Thank!
    After reinstall I make new game in creative and dive to that "problem spot". Everything is running smooth. Launched my save and get new crash.
    Maybe something wrong whith my save? I chaked it whith Recuva but get nothing.
    Here new report and my save if someone here can understand whats happening.
    Best way to get crash is leave cyclop and swim to unloaded area
  • 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
    edited December 2018
    Takka wrote: »
    It's ironic if the thing with the DRM is true. They release a game for free, giving would be pirates a chance to get a legit copy. They bork the DRM, mess it up for a bunch of legit copy holders both paid and unpaid, which presents getting a pirate copy of the game to finish it as as possibly the only alternative. This or drive people away from epic games to steam, which is kind of counter productive to the aim of the give away.

DRM is absolutely the stupidest thing... it might have a place for initial launch for AAA titles, but even then it's stupid. If you are familiar with piracy, pirates eat DRM for breakfast. Who does DRM affect mostly, then? Ah, that's right. Legitimate, law-abiding users, while the pirates laugh. Kinda parallels another societal issue (which I won't be discussing).

Free example: I had a dual-socket slot 1 motherboard (Gigabyte GA-6BXD if you're curious). rocking dual 500MHz Pentium-IIIs. I later used a socket adapter to swap out with a 1.4 GHz Celery (single, unfortunately, as Intel had kindly snipped the dual-socket support line on their Celery line of processors to avoid undercutting overpriced PIII sales).

Anyways, I had a BIOS mod on there to enable support for large (over 60GB.. or was it over 127GB?? can't remember, regardless, I could throw whatever size hard disk I wanted in there after the patch) hard disks, better RAM timings, and a few other fixes.

I mention the BIOS mod because that's the only reason I can think of for the following:

When I had the dual-CPUs in, I was only using one. Why? Windows '98 only supports a single CPU. I scraped and pinched together enough money for Windows XP Home edition (the computer had been donated by a friend of my Dad who worked at a college).

I pop the install disc in, get all set up, and all is well with the world. But then I get this notification balloon: "Windows must be activated". Umm... okay? I have dial-up using my parents' only phone line, which was shared with the church. But it's only for a few seconds, so nbd.

Fire up the connection, voilà! You're activated.

...Until you do something crazy that no normal user would do. Like, um... shut down your computer!??.

Yup. At every system start (I believe it was only after a cold boot) Windows needed to be re-activated. And this was back before people left their computer on 24/7 (I mean, Windows had to restart like every day anyways just to stay stable, although Windows XP actually pushed this out to running weeks at a time, but you wouldn't know that just coming from Windows '98).

Cherry on top? Yeaaaaah... the online activation only worked three times and then you had to manually phone call in your activation system key -- not the product key; but an even longer string the computer gave you, to a robot, speaking very clearly and slowly. Then listen to it read back the code to unlock your computer. Even more slowly.

This got really, really old. Really, really fast. How did I fix it?

Simple. Pirated the software I already legally owned. And that was that. No more hassle. No more nags. Just simple, efficient, no-nags operation. Kinda what you'd expect from software costing hundreds of dollars.

That's also how I avoided the whole Vista fiasco. Pirated the release to try-before-you-buy. Installed as dual-boot, tried it for a week. Nope, not interested. Nuked the Vista partition, stayed on XP until Windows 7 (which I did purchase after trying). However, I usually pirated that too as the pirates had slipstreamed all of the updates into the install disc. It wasn't until later I learned the commands to slipstream your own Service Packs, however, that still doesn't include normal updates. There was software for that, umm... I forget the name but it also let you strip unwanted components out of WIndows.

Regardless, the point still stood: the pirates had a more convenient solution. One disc image. Burn it and you have Windows XP (or later, Windows 7) all up-to-date and permanently activated. No spending all day getting your fresh Windows install up-to-date. Just like it should be. This DESPITE Microsoft's dastardly DRM schemes, which only caused Genuine users a headache (until they ran to the pirates anyways).

A couple of important points:

1) You had to know what you were doing or
    A) Your ISP would get you in trouble (depending on the ISP)
    B) You would pirate a virus-infested copy of Windows
    C) Small possibility some lawyer firm picks you to make an example of (but that was mostly pirated music and movies, where BTW A) and B) also still apply)

2) Yes, you can actually pirate software and still have it be "Genuine" as far as being a bit-for-bit exact copy of official Windows. All you have to do is use a custom GRUB (used to load linux usually but can also boot Windows) bootloader to spoof the contents of the memory address where the OEMs (Dell, HP, Compaq, eMachines, Toshiba, etc etc) stuck their code that Windows reads as its key, and have the same OEM key installed to Windows, which you can do with official Microsoft tools). Again, though, see 1)

3) Much of this problem has been alleviated by now, as far as I know. Either that or I now just have hardware that plays nice with the DRM. Dunno which. I hope it's the former, for everyone else's sake.

tl;dr: DRM is stupid
    I'm dammy...
    Pushing "Update driver" and waiting for "Driver updated" dosnt meen that driver is updated.
    I found actual driver on official site: https://amd.com/en/support , and problem is solved.
    Thats where I got my GPU driver downloaded it and it worked I did the optional download and the game wouldn't work so I uninstalled the Epic launcher and the game. Reinstalled the driver , Launcher and the game I get the icon at the bottom of my screen and it just closes.
    Are we ever going to get an update about this? This is getting ridiculous.
    They are ignoring this cause it means we have to buy the game from Steam or on a system. AKA more money for them
    Here guys, try this:

DNML wrote: »
    I have had the same issue with the black screen, blue cursor and music. Scoured the forums and this is what worked for me, give it a try.

-go to your C: drive
    -click users and select your username
    (if you're unsure of your name open CMD/command prompt and type "whoami" without quotations and hit enter)

-click in the address bar and type \appdata after your username file path
    -click local low
    -click unknown worlds
    -click subnautica
    -click subnautica again
    -click saved games
    -delete options folder (I copied and pasted it to my desktop then deleted it from the subfolder)

File path-
    C:\Users\UserName\AppData\LocalLow\Unknown Worlds\Subnautica\Subnautica\SavedGames

Let me know if that worked
    0x6A7232 wrote: »
    Ah, let me show you the magic of environment variables!
    You can just copy-paste this into the address bar and it should go there for you:

• Dragueur42Dragueur42 Join Date: 2019-01-01 Member: 247758Members
    Same issue, except I can't get the game to start on Steam. Bought it awhile ago, I have 55+ hours played, and thought I'd re-download and play it through again for fun today. I get non-stop crashes when I try to start the game. Nothing has changed hardware-wise since I played it through six months back. Any help?
    Try nuking your options folder. For you specifically it's probably
    C:\Steam Games\steamapps\common\Subnautica\SNAppData\SavedGames

then just delete the options folder
  • drbobdrbob Join Date: 2018-12-16 Member: 246031Members
    edited January 2019
    RITBeast wrote: »
    drbob wrote: »

That works to launch the game from within steam, but because of the way that shortcut works steam doesn't recognise that the game has launched - steam overlay an in home streaming still don't work.
    Gah, yeah, it didn't recognize my controller. Played at the pc for a bit out of frustration, but tough to play with toddler in your lap.

OK, I've found a solution - it's a hassle but it works. I have not tested controller support but streaming with the overlay works so controller should work as well. I've created a new thread about it here as it's a tangent from the crash on launch discusssion.
    Finally playing again. Created a new windows account for subnautica, haven't let it interact with steam at all...seems ok for now. I have to use my crappy logitech pad though as no native support for my others.

This is weak unknown worlds!
    I think you can set up a virtual joystick using some of the tools in the bottom - left of my signature, just above the Forum BBCode Rainbow Generator (the links that say "Joystick problems? | Xpadder | UJR / vJoy | JoyToKey")

I'm sure if you look at all of them one of them will help (if you feel up to setting it up, anyways).
  • sjacotsjacot Join Date: 2018-12-31 Member: 247712Members
    I'm having the same problem with my game. I go into the game and move around for a bit and then the game crashes on me...
    Make sure drivers are up to date, make sure Windows is up to date, post your output_log.txt and dxdiag input if that does not work.