Creature Behavior suggestion - Aggro/Enraging Creatures

FrozenOtterFrozenOtter Join Date: 2017-04-09 Member: 229517Members
I noticed that after some time, a lot of the creatures in the game lose their scary/creepy qualities as you learn to adapt and avoid them and recognize their general behavior and wanted to suggest something to change things up. I would call this one a big suggestion, but nonetheless am putting it out there anyway.

For all the audio and visual gratification we get out of our underwater alien neighbors, there isn't much in the way of functional depth in them. By this I mean, they are scripted to either attack or swim away when they are within a certain distance of the player or if they are attacked, most will swim away, how they go about doing this is what makes each creature unique, but that is the limit to their functionality.

An idea I had to provide a bit more depth to each creature would be:

Aggro/Enraging Creatures

This idea came to me after playing chicken with a Reaper leviathan for 10 minutes, laughing to myself as it struggled in vain to take a bite of me, but the idea is as follows:

The general concept is, the longer you interact with a creature, the deadlier it gets (Though this concept can be expanded to envelop more than just deadliness).

Using Reaper Leviathans as an example, I would think they are much akin to sharks in some ways. That first bite they are trying to take out of you is merely out of curiosity, its the first time it has seen you and just wants to know what you are, and what you taste like. But being as they are territorial, if you hang around too long, you might find it becomes more aggressive and faster, exhibits tighter turns. It might become more vocal using its sonar voice to keep track of you better to either make you its lunch or ward you off, certain areas on its body might illuminate to better show that its gone from curious to angry.

Through these mechanics it would let the player know that it is territorial and provide additional flavor to the Leviathan as it were.

Another example would be with the Stalker, but in this case, taking any metal salvage while near it would enrage it, again it might exhibit greater speed and tenacity as it tries to reclaim its salvage you just stole. Another possible effect is if it is enraged, it would have an increased chance to drop a Stalker Tooth when it bites/picks up something.

Again, here through interaction, the player would learn that Stalkers are overly protective of the items in their environment, but also that when angry, they are more liable to losing their valuable teeth.

I think this is a mechanic that could be iterated on over time with creatures exhibiting different behaviors depending on what type/size of vehicle you are piloting, this could go beyond creatures simply getting more fierce. It could even integrate nicely with the silent running Cyclops update.

But, this is a huge suggestion that would incur a lot of dev time, so I realize it is unlikely to happen but thought it would be nice to suggest and see what people think anyways :)

Comments

• 0x6A72320x6A7232 US Join Date: 2016-10-06 Member: 222906Members
  • wowwinkwowwink Merica Join Date: 2016-12-05 Member: 224596Members
    I agree, this is a good idea.
  • ShuttleBugShuttleBug USA Join Date: 2017-03-15 Member: 228943Members
    What if bone sharks traveled in packs around the deeper biomes and would harass you if they caught your flashlights beam or something. Anyway great thought :]
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    Great idea! though i could have gone better with more creature behaviors, like if you hide in a cave after being chased by a crab-squid, they would get angrier and ram into the cave or start digging
  • RboxRbox Belgium Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239227Members
    Nope, really bad idea. It seems you all just want new ways to die. I would suggest the opposite. The longer you fight with a subject at the same location, the less it will be inclined to attack you. Seriously, I don't want a Ghost Leviathan coming at me every 10 seconds when I'm searching for something or trying to build a base. You can't kill it! Perhaps you can, but it will take a loooong time. I don't need that.
  • AC_AwesomeCraftAC_AwesomeCraft USA Join Date: 2018-12-12 Member: 245501Members
    We don't need EVERYTHING to try and kill us, a peeper, they could learn you don't want to attack them and come closer, or they get interested and swim closer, then you can grab them and take them away, but you did get my attention with that, it does seem we want to die, like, a lot. But that is off topic, we are talking about new creature behaviors, i swim to a peeper and they run away, i didn't even do anything! Or a stalker sees you and attacks, they're all kind of boring, so we are just discussing behaviors, that's all.
    You can give a suggestion for this, but negativity isn't welcome in my opinion, so ideas, for anything, not one thing, OK? Ok.
    Wait! I didn't see the part where you said 'less interested after a while', i guess that's a good idea, i mean, i would have the same problem, if i went there that often.
    edited December 2018
    Not sure if it is already in game, because I've never attempted it, but here are a few more ideas:

To start, when you take an egg when the mother is looking she will get angry and try relentlessly to get her egg back and kill you, out of revenge.
    On the topic of mother and egg, the mother of the egg will stay near it and protect it, and the father will go out and hunt, when he does get something, he will come back and give it to his mate, and they will feed on that, this process will continue to repeat itself until the egg is hatched, then the father will go away and leave the mother with her young.

To make you happy, Rbox, i will suggest that you can offer, say, a stalker some metal and it will become your friend for a limited time, and if you give enough, he/she mite give you something in return.

Another idea is, if you save a peeper (For example) from a predator, they will follow you, knowing that you will help them if they are in trouble.

Or if you raise a bone shark from a baby, protect it, feed it, train it, then it will become your 'pet' and help you fight another predator, well, if it can actually DO anything.

These are the ideas i had for now, (I came up with them almost at the same time, lol) I'll post more when i think of more.
  • RboxRbox Belgium Join Date: 2018-03-17 Member: 239227Members
    Rbox wrote: »
    Seriously, I don't want a Ghost Leviathan coming at me every 10 seconds when I'm searching for something or trying to build a base. You can't kill it! Perhaps you can, but it will take a loooong time. I don't need that.

Hahaa, the powers that be have plans with me. This is way too uncanny. Seriously, I did not sceme this, it really coincidentally ahppened. Just a few days later. https://forums.unknownworlds.com/discussion/155318/dead-as-a-doornail-spoiler-images#latest
    So you posted that.
    I just had a thought, all the predators and prey in the game now are all the same, so adding behaviors that change the way you would play, mite not change it up that much at all, the predators would do as i said, protect there eggs, be your friends if you offer, and the prey would be pretty much the same too, they would be interested for a time then run away, and they would swim behind you if you save them, it mite actually put us back right to where we started, they all being the same and it being boring.
    just some thing i found interesting, there's a creature suggestion thread, type this into the search to find it, "Creature Suggestion Thread (Add Yours!)"
    It literally has eight sections, all with the creature ideas of lots of users, i have some ideas there as well, just a suggestion to see what's in the minds of lots of Subnauitca fans!